Mon, Sep 9, 8:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: HAIR SHADER now available

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 9:31 AM

im loving this, feels like im learning, give me all the info you can

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 9:35 AM

Quote - sorry posted during your posts,lol, will read all the links later on have to go out. do you know why the shader was aborted?

Because it didn't render correctly. I don't know why. It was rendering surfaces without any smooth interpolation of normals, so it looked faceted.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 9:41 AM

file_485835.jpg

I found the demo render showing the problem with the new hair node.

Click for full size.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 9:53 AM · edited Wed, 29 August 2012 at 9:54 AM

file_485836.jpg

Poser has trouble dealing with this kind of material. I always find reasons to not publish a realism shader. In many situations, a clever hack looks better.

Example - you'd think a little bump would help.

Look at this hair ball. Observe the artifacts near the top.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 9:54 AM · edited Wed, 29 August 2012 at 9:55 AM

file_485837.jpg

Now with no bump at all.

This is why I avoid really fine bump and use direct manipulation of the color or reflectivity for this kind of thing.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 9:57 AM

file_485838.jpg

Now look at the intensity of the anisotropic specular highlight. Observe how it becomes super hot at the top.

That's not how hair works. That's just how the anisotropic node works. It's wrong. It's one of those "biased" things that people were OK with in 2001.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 9:59 AM

file_485839.jpg

And it has nothing to do with the UV map. It is just broken.

Here I rotated the hair ball - that highlight has not moved one pixel. It's wrong.

These are things you have to deal with if you're going to try to supply a generic shader.

I do not have solutions. I have tactics I use, but each tactic is specific to:

• the prop I'm using

• what color I want it

* what the lighting is

I can't find a way to generalize the hackery.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 10:29 AM

to stop the bump issue near the top why not run it through an edge blend value 1 set to white and the bump plugged into value 2 also white and a numerical value of 1. ok this doesnt fix the bump issue but it removes it from the edges where they cause issues

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 10:33 AM

ok that doesnt adress the whole specular issue.i was wondering if there is a way to trick say the blinn node etc to maybe come up with a better shine? just throwing about ideas

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 10:43 AM

My dumb question of the day: can't you either set the reflection not to go over a certain number (ie max it so it doesn't get hot) or maybe use a bias/gain node (can never remember which one does what) to serve as sort of an ad hoc "map" and use that map to subtract out or limit the extra light?

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 10:52 AM

Quote - My dumb question of the day: can't you either set the reflection not to go over a certain number (ie max it so it doesn't get hot) or maybe use a bias/gain node (can never remember which one does what) to serve as sort of an ad hoc "map" and use that map to subtract out or limit the extra light?

I didn't show all the situations. That was one that was easy to see. There are "hotspots" that should not exist that also are not super bright, either.

As soon as you put enough limits to suppress most of the hot spots, you've pretty well lost the realism of the cases where it is supposed to be bright.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 10:54 AM

Quote - ok that doesnt adress the whole specular issue.i was wondering if there is a way to trick say the blinn node etc to maybe come up with a better shine? just throwing about ideas

In general? No.

As soon as there are two or more light sources, you can't do any sort of tricks because you don't know anything in the nodes about where those are, where the camera is, etc. This is basic shader 101 stuff that has to be built into Poser nodes because Poser doesn't let me write any shader algorithms. It only lets me snap together the ones it offers.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 11:44 AM

Quote - I didn't show all the situations. That was one that was easy to see. There are "hotspots" that should not exist that also are not super bright, either.

As soon as you put enough limits to suppress most of the hot spots, you've pretty well lost the realism of the cases where it is supposed to be bright.

I see.  So with the anitoscopic node, you are kind of up the creek either way.  It's a shame SM dropped the other model, it was an interesting read and it looked better than the model they compared it too.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 12:15 PM

i know that when things are not ready for release with poser sometimes they leave it in but hidden away,could this also be the case with the hair shader they apparently tried? could it be somewhere under the poser hood?

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 12:17 PM

and is this reality 3  going to offer more realistic hair in lux?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 12:42 PM · edited Wed, 29 August 2012 at 12:42 PM

file_485843.jpg

> Quote - i know that when things are not ready for release with poser sometimes they leave it in but hidden away,could this also be the case with the hair shader they apparently tried? could it be somewhere under the poser hood?

Oh it's still there. You can easily make one appear using Python  - it is kNodeTypeCodePOLYGONHAIR.

But it isn't even close to useful.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 29 August 2012 at 1:18 PM

hmmm i see that in somecases somethings are better hidden away,but you can see where they are going.

it looks as if with this current version of poser we will have to do with a looks good(like the current transmap hair) but atleast gives a better reaction to light.

anyways im off out for dinner then the expendables 2.

will try more hair works tomorow, and thanx BB as always an inspiration

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 11:09 AM

file_485895.jpg

Is this a problem with the scatter node???? i have only one light in this scene and idl is on.

if so is there a way to reduce/remove it?

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 11:12 AM

Ohhh lol to those not knowing what they are looking at in the above pic its the horrible blue colour on th back edges of the hair that are the trouble, i thought at first it was one or both of the specular nodes that i have used but its not them.... removed and still getting blue

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 11:28 AM

Try putting each hair material zone in a different scatter group ...

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 4:36 PM

im not sure by what you mean by that snarly?

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 4:55 PM

file_485912.jpg

Use a different scatter group for each material zone ... see pic

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 5:25 PM

ahh i will give that a go thankyou snarly, probably would have found that if i was near my computer,lol

Eric Walters ( ) posted Thu, 30 August 2012 at 11:46 PM

For Poser10-I really hope they fix the Anistropic node!

shedofjoy ( ) posted Fri, 31 August 2012 at 3:35 AM

and have a hair node

shedofjoy ( ) posted Fri, 31 August 2012 at 9:33 AM

file_485928.jpg

Thankyou Snarly it looks like it is the scatter node up to no good, by changing the group numbers in the different materials has reduced the blue significantly as seen in the pic (click to enlarge as always). The group addition is similar in working it seams as the toon id..   im also at a loss to which material to set the scatter node to, as hair is not one of them, and none seam close,lol.. sofar im sticking with skin1...

As a matter of interest snarly, in the python script is it possible for it to apply the shader to different material zones and change the scatter_group number in each? if not i think i may have to drop scatter.. im hoping this is possible as scatter looks better than without..

vincebagna ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 3:47 AM

Set the scatter node to Marble, as this one is not tinted.

My Store

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 3:57 AM

cheers vince, just giving that a go now.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 4:24 PM

file_486050.jpg

Right this is the first in four pics, the last being a close up (Click image to enlarge).

This is version 6, i have done a little hammering of the anisotropic node to make it play ball,namely that super bright tail it has got. im still tinkering with the shader, hopefully someone might like the results sofar.... of and lastly before i forget, someone,i forget who commented on the shader in the freebie section here and said that it looks good as anime hair if you leave the transparency map out, i havent tried this myself yet... i will later

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 4:25 PM

file_486051.jpg

as you can see the light in the first pic is by the side of the head and in this its infront

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 4:25 PM

file_486052.jpg

this one the light is behind

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 4:27 PM · edited Mon, 03 September 2012 at 4:28 PM

file_486053.jpg

And a close up with the light on the side again.

I have got a GC node attached to this and currently have no idea how to make it into an auto GC as BB suggested, maybe oneday,lol

Click to see the detail.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 5:13 PM

It does look like it is coming along, however closeups are not very forgiving towards strand resolution.  For farther shots, it looks great.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 6:09 PM

Quote - As a matter of interest snarly, in the python script is it possible for it to apply the shader to different material zones and change the scatter_group number in each?

Yes, that would be straightfoward - I already do that for the hair shader in EZSkin

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 6:14 PM

Quote - And a close up with the light on the side again.

I have got a GC node attached to this and currently have no idea how to make it into an auto GC as BB suggested, maybe oneday,lol

Click to see the detail.

The GC node might not be much use. It is only available in Poser Pro so Poser 9 users won't get the benefit of it, and Poser Pro users will most likely be using render GC so won't want the node there.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 6:34 PM

ahh i will replace that node with my other working arangement.

i thought the strand resolution looks good,i  assume you clicked on the image? im interested to know how much strand resolution you need?.... oh and some of the edge hairs are a downside to certain modeling techniques, different hairs look better or worse depending on the hair structure or how it was made

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 9:45 PM

For myself the strands look very good and would do well in portrait renders.  Someone else, though, may want finer detail for extreme closeups in full, studio lighting.  Just my 2 cents.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.