Fri, Oct 4, 5:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 1:56 pm)

Subject: Shader mixer question: UV roughness (metals)

IO4 ( ) posted Sun, 02 June 2013 at 11:42 AM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 4:20 PM

Hi, there's settings in shader mixer when using the 'Metallic (Glossy)' setting for surfaces, called U and V Roughness. I've seen in documentation that this is supposed to give a brushedhed metal look, but I've tried varying the setting but am not seeing any difference when applied. (I'm not even sure I'm using it correctly as I'm new at using Shader mixer) Has anyone used this? An suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 02 June 2013 at 2:16 PM

You need a visible specular effect - make sure the colour will show, and that the Glossiness isn't too low or 100%, and that the Specular Strength is high enough for visibility. You also need a light shining on the object to generate specular highlights.

IO4 ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2013 at 1:19 AM

Hi Richard, thanks for the reply. I had done all of that prior to trying the setting, but couldn't see any difference.

Bryce Arena

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2013 at 8:46 AM · edited Mon, 03 June 2013 at 8:48 AM

file_494932.jpg

The sphere on the left has the U Roughness set to 1 and the V Roughness set to .1, the sphere on the right switches the values. Glossiness is set to 95%, diffuse colour is light yellow and diffuse strength is 66%. The spheres were subdivided (and obviously the algorithm doesn't like the triangles at the top) as otherwise the effect was being swamped by the faceting. There's a single Distant Light shining from the top-right(ish).

IO4 ( ) posted Tue, 04 June 2013 at 1:20 AM

Hi Richard, thanks very much for posting that. Interesting effect, I will have to play around a bit more with settings.

Bryce Arena

IO4 ( ) posted Tue, 04 June 2013 at 2:21 AM

I went back into DS and now I asm seeing the same results - not sure why it wasn't showing like that before. Thanks for your help Richard.

Bryce Arena

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.