Fri, Oct 4, 12:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Show favorite render you did in Poser 4?

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 21 February 2014 at 11:01 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 12:19 PM

Cage made a post that mentioned looking through his old PZ3 files. I'd love to see examples of people's favorute work that they did in Poser 4 or earlier versions. Say stuff rendered pre-Y2K? Or maybe a side-by-side of thier favorite earliest work and favorite latest work?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 21 February 2014 at 12:14 PM
Site Admin

Never had poser 4. Started with Poser 6. No longer have that. Didn't do anything great worth sharing.

I'd love to see a reworked image. Something someone did in an old version of poser and rerendered in one of the new versions using all the great new features.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 21 February 2014 at 12:25 PM

Yep, that would be cool.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 21 February 2014 at 2:09 PM · edited Fri, 21 February 2014 at 2:10 PM

Wow, well that would be here in my gallery

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=315776&user_id=2787&np&np

I used Poser 4 for a long time, even after I had purchased Poser 5, 6 and 7, needed to use for developement of older models.

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 1:37 AM · edited Sat, 22 February 2014 at 1:38 AM

file_502061.jpg

I found this one while digging through my files.  Far, far too many of the other renders left over from that era would be more suitable for the *other* "Render-" site, where many of them were originally posted.  The place used to get far more traffic from the mainstream Rosity crowd, in the first year or so after it spun off from this site.

I'll see if I can find any other "nice" renders from the era.  :unsure:  This one is dated from August of 2002, not long before I got P5.

Okay.  Exceeded the file size limit, with the original .jpg.  Trying a re-compressed one.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 1:45 AM

file_502062.jpg

Made this one for my nephew in January, 2002.  He was 4, at the time.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 1:52 AM

file_502063.jpg

Silly one for the old "Batgirl Bat-Trap Homepage!" website.

I'm not sure I could say any of these is my favorite from the era.  I seem to recall more renders, and better renders, but little seems to have survived.  :unsure:

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 2:04 AM

file_502064.jpg

September, 1999, only a couple of weeks into using Poser 4.  I like to say, "We set the bar low, in those days," but I'm not sure that was true.  I think it was just me.  :lol:

Okay, I'm-a stop talking now.  😊

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 2:11 AM

file_502065.jpg

Oh, darn.  Now I found my favorite, so I have to post.  In March of 2000, the then-hip hangout of Render-(the other place) had a thread in which participants were challenged to depict the presumed appearance of our very own Dr. Geep.  This one made Traveler go "ROFLMAO", IIRC.  :unsure:

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 9:59 AM

Thanks, Cage. Your old stuff had that more illustrative look old Poser 4 stuff had. Less photo-real and more like old pulp magazine cover paintings in gouache. I think I liked that old stuff more than most of the new stuff... it was more Folk Art and less Hollywood. I feel like the old stuff as I remember it had more emphasis on weird imagery and narratives. It was less about the virtual surfaces given the inevitable "plastic-looking" quality of the renders. I try to keep hold of that in my work by blasting stuff with IBL or plugging diffuse texture maps into the ambient channels but I have not found my way back to that weird plastic quality in renders. My computer was so lousy back in the late nineties that I often just anti-aliased my previews rather than actually rendered. I loved painting in the hair and clothes etc. in Photoshop. There was something about the crudeness of the models and render engine that drove personal vision more in a lot of people's work I kind of think and often that made it pretty evocative. There is an unrealness to pre-firefly renders that I still find fascinating. 

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 10:31 AM

file_502079.jpg

One of my very first Wings3D models: A toy Lunar Module I had as a child.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 10:33 AM

file_502080.jpg

Another Wings model: A Lego semi truck. I think this is the only render I used the Poser 4 boy in.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 10:35 AM

file_502081.jpg

This was really hard to get right: A Kenner SSP gyro-car.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 10:37 AM · edited Sat, 22 February 2014 at 10:37 AM

file_502082.jpg

Daz' PreSchool girl having fun with a kite made in Wings.

Aren't those P4 pigtails adorable ?  :-)

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 10:40 AM

file_502083.jpg

Trying to do same space girls. Lots and lots and lots of magnets. Because that's all we had...

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 10:49 AM

That bottom face likness is so spot on!

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 10:56 AM

Thanks ! :-)

But honestly, I hated those "good ol' times". Everything was so hard to do.

Joints looked like cr*p, no proper scaling, no MorphBrush. Poser would croak at too many polygons.

Only magnets to sculpt. Not even a python script to mirror a magnet. I had to literally write down a dozend settings per magnet just so I could mirror the morph. No fun if you have to do it a hundred times or more.

What I can now do in minutes took me days back then.

Of course artistically it can be interresting to restrict yourself. Like using a Brownie or a Polaroid camera instead of a full on SRL.

But I think I could have done so much more if I only had the tools I have now.

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 12:22 PM

file_502088.jpg

I haven't looked at all that many of other people's Poser renders over the years (never really spend much time browsing galleries), but when I've ended up doing so I sort of see a bit of what you're saying, momodot.  A lot of the more current Poser images I've seen seem to get lost in a fascination with the more advanced methods and techniques, and end up being showcases for a shader technique or lighting method or figure-build concept.  Seemingly.  I dunno.  :unsure:  Whereas the... call them "more primitive" efforts are often more visually inventive or adventurous.  Even from the same artists.  Mind you, I'm mainly thinking of superheroine galleries at DeviantArt or someplace.  :unsure:

So I can see what you're saying, and I think I've said things like that before, myself.  But Joe is right!  Everything was so hard to do!  Those old renders were often a frustration, because the available software couldn't begin to help you approach what you actually wanted to express.  In those really early days, we didn't have Blender or Wings3D, any of the free graphics utilities that make things accessible now.  I started out with Amorphium, and... man.  That's another one that steered like a cow.  :lol:  Later had RDS, couldn't do a thing with it.  Nendo was a huge breakthrough, for me, and then Wings came along and things started to get better.

Everything was hard, and it all took a long time to do, just like it does today, but the results were so, so much dodgier.  Things are better now, overall.  Yay, progress!  :laugh:

arrow1 ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2014 at 5:38 PM

file_502092.jpg

I mainly went for animations.However I found this from Poser 4. Although it was done a bit later than 2000 it was in Poser 4. I cannot remember who made the underwater background.It was I think a freebie as was the shark and sub. Bubbles was done in Photoshop! Cheers

Custom built computer 128 gigs RAM,2 Terrabyte hard drive, NVIDIA RTX 3060 12 Gig, Intel i9, Dual Dell Screens, 0/S Windows 11, networked to a Special 12th Generation intel I9, RTX 3060 12 Gig, Windows 11,64 gigs RAM, Dual Phillips Screens, 2 Terrabyte SSD Hard Drive plus 1 Terrabyte Hard Drive,3rd Computer intel i7,64 gigs ram, Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GeForce 1660 Ti 6 Gig,1 Terrabyte Hard Drive, OS Windows 10 64 Bit Dual Samsung Syncmaster 226bw Screens.Plus Lenovo Laptop 64 Bit,12 gigs Ram.Intel i7 chip.Windows 10 Pro and Ultimate. 4 x 2 Terrabyte Hard Drives and 2 x 2 Terrabyte external USB Hard drives. All Posers from 4 to Poser 2010 and 2012, 2014. Poser 11 and 12, 13, Hexagon 2.5 64 Bit, Carrara 8.5 Pro 64 bit, Adobe Photoshop CS4 Creative Production Suite. Adobe Photoshop CC 2024, Vue 10 and 10.5 Infinite Vue 11 14.5 Infinite plus Vue 15 and 16 Infinite, Vue 2023 and 2024, Plant Catologue, DAZ Studio 4.22, iClone 7 with 3DXchange and Character Creator 3, Nikon D3 Camera with several lenses.  Nikon Z 6 ii and Z5. 180-600mm lens, 24-70 mm lens with adapter.Just added 2x 2 Terrabyte portable hard drives.

obm890 ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2014 at 4:50 AM

Quote - Thanks, Cage. Your old stuff had that more illustrative look old Poser 4 stuff had. Less photo-real and more like old pulp magazine cover paintings in gouache. 

I don't know who made this image or how old it is, but I've always loved it for that 'pulp magazine cover painting' feel. When it looks like a painting it's easier to enjoy it at face value, to overlook the drinking straw elbows and bubble-butt-type problems because painters don't always get everything perfect.

As you get closer to photorealism the uncanny valley thing kicks in and small things like staring eyes or unnatural poses really jump out at you.

Quote - There was something about the crudeness of the models and render engine that drove personal vision more in a lot of people's work I kind of think and often that made it pretty evocative. There is an unrealness to pre-firefly renders that I still find fascinating. 

It can be argued that the simpler the tool, the more the person wielding the tool gets into the finished work. As the tool becomes more complex some of that direct connection between artist and work can be lost in fussing with the tool.

false1 ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2014 at 6:07 AM

Quote - I haven't looked at all that many of other people's Poser renders over the years (never really spend much time browsing galleries), but when I've ended up doing so I sort of see a bit of what you're saying, momodot.  A lot of the more current Poser images I've seen seem to get lost in a fascination with the more advanced methods and techniques, and end up being showcases for a shader technique or lighting method or figure-build concept.  Seemingly.  I dunno.  :unsure:  Whereas the... call them "more primitive" efforts are often more visually inventive or adventurous.  Even from the same artists.  Mind you, I'm mainly thinking of superheroine galleries at DeviantArt or someplace.  :unsure:

I agree. I've noticed when looking through older galleries that older stuff focused more on concept and visual creativity than imitating reality. I've seen alot of recent renders where the artist says they used Octane or some other high end renderer and the image is just boring. The image says nothing and there is no attentention to composition, color, or concept. It's ironic that traditional western art moved from representational, DaVinci for instance, to abstract, Picasso, whereas Poser has moved from abstraction to photorealism.

I think the average art lover would like to see a combo of the two. We'd like to see the the artists "hand", and a unique style and concept.

My DeviantArt Gallery

My Website

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2014 at 12:22 AM · edited Thu, 27 February 2014 at 12:28 AM

file_502264.png

I'm going to say this was my favorite render from the P4 days...  Can't believe I built that mech almost 20 years ago on an Amiga 4000, and haven't built one since.  Bummer.

(And yes, it's the same mech as the one in my avatar pic which was rendered in trueSpace 4.  I could never figure out how to get it into Poser as anything more than a static prop.  Well, I could do it now probably if it were still up to my standards. :bored:)

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2014 at 2:38 PM

Moogal, that's a cool render. Yeah, new tech is nice. I am just fascinated by the old super Poser 4 specific look and miss it sometimes. Wish there was an archive of that weird old stuff. Renderotica used to have some wild Poser 3/4 stuff up but I'm sure those artists are long gone from the gallery now... Definitely no uncanny valley issues with Poser 4... it had such a specific lo-fi 3D look to it though... almost toon-like to my 2014 eyes. Its not that I am against progress... I guess I just wish old and new mediums co-existed more. Silent-film and talkies etc. Not the old stuff only but new stuff in the old forms. I miss some of my old mid-nineties art-making software that won't run on modern machines, I'm glad for my new software but I still do miss my old software.

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2014 at 6:52 PM

Quote - Moogal, that's a cool render. Yeah, new tech is nice. I am just fascinated by the old super Poser 4 specific look and miss it sometimes. Wish there was an archive of that weird old stuff. Renderotica used to have some wild Poser 3/4 stuff up but I'm sure those artists are long gone from the gallery now... Definitely no uncanny valley issues with Poser 4... it had such a specific lo-fi 3D look to it though... almost toon-like to my 2014 eyes.

Thanks!...

If you really like the P4 look, maybe spend more time with the preview renderer... They are very similar in terms of limitations and shading results.  P4 render can do bump maps, preview can get a similar look if bump maps are pre-converted to normal maps... P4 can use more shadow casting lights as well, but preview calculates them much faster.  Otherwise, they seem pretty similar.  My image would have looked even better with bumpmapping, but at that time I did not know how to unwrap the model (which was also a single .obj).

Here's Andy with a light casting prop rendered in preview.  Not much different from what I expect the P4 renderer would generate.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/media/folder_10/file_494965.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.