Sat, Aug 3, 5:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 5:21 am)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Free Non-Commercial RenderMan now available!

R_Hatch ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 12:20 AM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 12:56 AM

Pixar has released their free, non-commercial version of RenderMan. It's available to download here. So far, only plugins available are for Maya & KATANA. Cinema 4D and Houdini plugins are being worked on, and there are a few other programs listed as potential plugin recipients (though it's highly likely they will get made). Of course, Poser exports RenderMan format since a billion years ago, so that's not really an issue, and those of us who use Rhinoceros3D also have the fantastic RhinoMan plugin.

I'm also putting the link in the free 3d software thread, but this, being a pretty big deal, I figured warranted its own thread as well.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 4:24 AM

Wonderful! Thanks for the heads up R_Hatch :-)

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 4:54 AM

Pixar has released their free, non-commercial version of RenderMan. It's available to download here. So far, only plugins available are for Maya & KATANA. Cinema 4D and Houdini plugins are being worked on, and there are a few other programs listed as potential plugin recipients (though it's highly likely they will get made). Of course, Poser exports RenderMan format since a billion years ago, so that's not really an issue, and those of us who use Rhinoceros3D also have the fantastic RhinoMan plugin.

I'm also putting the link in the free 3d software thread, but this, being a pretty big deal, I figured warranted its own thread as well.

How does one use poser with RenderMan? I'm a tad confused about where this format or what format is used with RenderMan from Poser...

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 9:57 AM

Yeah, woo hoo...got this yesterday in my e mail....

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 10:16 AM
Forum Moderator

How does one use poser with RenderMan? I'm a tad confused about where this format or what format is used with RenderMan from Poser...

Hello ThunderStone from with in Poser Pro 2012 which is the current version I have there is an Export RIP that is the file format that RenderMan uses. It is the same format that 3Delight Renderer uses also  Hope that helps 

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 12:41 PM

may be issues w/RIB export from PP2012/2014.  haven't tried it myself.

thx fr lnk!

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 2:18 PM
Forum Moderator

may be issues w/RIB export from PP2012/2014.  haven't tried it myself.

thx fr lnk!

I remember there being a sort of guide or how to in the daz forum at Daz on how to export so as to render with 3Delight Render which would be similar to how to export for Poser and then rendering the Rib file with in RenderMan 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 8:49 PM

Problem: It won't install if you don't have Maya... (Which I don't have). Where can I get the standalone free one if available?

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2015 at 9:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Problem: It won't install if you don't have Maya... (Which I don't have). Where can I get the standalone free one if available?

Hello ThunderStone When you run the installer it and after you put in your username and password which to run the installer you need to join the Pixar renderMan forum you will be presented with option to install the Pixar RenderMan Pro Server 19.0 and also a check box for the Maya Plugin since you do not have Maya you do not need to place a check mark in the box just check the check box for the Pixar RenderMan Pro Server 19.0 and then click next that will actually install the Stand Alone 

Hope this helps 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2015 at 7:56 AM

Hello ThunderStone When you run the installer it and after you put in your username and password which to run the installer you need to join the Pixar renderMan forum you will be presented with option to install the Pixar RenderMan Pro Server 19.0 and also a check box for the Maya Plugin since you do not have Maya you do not need to place a check mark in the box just check the check box for the Pixar RenderMan Pro Server 19.0 and then click next that will actually install the Stand Alone 

Hope this helps 

I did follow all the prompts(2X)  but all it did was install an empty config file in the folder labeled "RenderMan Server 19" . If it did  installed the standalone then it must be invisible.... Question:  does anybody have have any idea other than contacting support,at this point? ??

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2015 at 12:22 PM · edited Wed, 25 March 2015 at 12:24 PM

it installed after I clicked off "no maya detected" screen.  

there's no app in rendermanproserver-19.0.  it appears to run from command line (terminal),

but no license detected when I tried (severe error).

we don't have access to support.  will try re-install.

maybe they add pixar or renderman forum here, in case anybody knows anything.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2015 at 2:06 PM

they said one can run it from python, perhaps from within poser, but no poser plugin.  we may need to buy maya.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2015 at 2:40 PM

they said one can run it from python, perhaps from within poser, but no poser plugin.  we may need to buy maya.

Hmmm, not really free renderman then is it?

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2015 at 5:45 PM

What a waste of time and efforts.. I was so hoping to review RenderMan and compare it to other renderers.

If anybody ever gets it up, running,please kindly inform the rest of us non-geniuses??Thanks in advance....

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 25 March 2015 at 5:55 PM

somebody who can write python scripts may be able to help us with this.

three guys I know: snarly, BB, cage - but there are many more.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Thu, 26 March 2015 at 8:17 AM

Maybe they're at this moment working on it, eh???

ThunderStone ( ) posted Fri, 08 May 2015 at 2:03 PM

One thing to be sure... You'll need to install the RenderStudio for Maya even if you don't have Maya.. It supplies the "it"  needed to visualize the rendering. I however keep getting errors on the RIB files exported from Poser. Seems there are paths that are called for the textures or material files that somehow missing even if it's in the original directory. Anybody got a clue on a work around?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.