Sat, Sep 14, 5:00 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:46 pm)

Subject: Poser Development article...

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2019 at 4:47 PM · edited Sat, 24 August 2019 at 4:47 PM

CHK2033 posted at 5:46PM Sat, 24 August 2019 - #4360375

SeanMartin posted at 4:29PM Sat, 24 August 2019 - #4360370

I'm making ginger-cardamon cookies... but you have to be a FormZ user to have some.

:-)

Meh.. Whatever man,I don't like ginger anyway ?

More for me, then!

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2019 at 5:35 PM

wolf359 posted at 6:20PM Sat, 24 August 2019 - #4360298

should be free to participate how they enjoy, within >the boundaries of the TOS of course, without being >chided or scorned by >hose that think they have a >right to mother a thread or a forum because they >know best.

@ Razor42 .Quoted for complete agreement,

This "get off of our property non-believer!!", mentality of the Smith micro forums, carries zero weight here ,a this is not the fever swamp, echo chamber that was the smith micro poser forum. ( good riddance!!)

As long as the TOS is not been deemed to have been violated , only an ACTUAL FORUM MODERATOR has the agency to issue commands to other forum members.

Self appointed "den mothers" need not apply and their "directives" will be blythely ignored by, me at least.

I only consider myself a "den mother" on threads that I start. And as I don't willingly violate TOS, I don't think I've ever heard from a moderator on the subject. That said, and with all due respect to the mods, this forum does seem to be a little lax on the mods enforcing peace and order. I never wanted to be a mod here, probably would have been fired by now anyway for being too harsh. All that said, threads don't have to be derailed. If you have questions or comments and you're afraid you might derail a thread, take it to site mail and continue the conversation there.

Also, there are several people here, who, frankly, I rarely ever read their posts as they often seem to be writing a thesis or a book. I pity the poor mod who does read all those to make sure a TOS is not violated.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 8:13 AM

Penguinisto posted at 8:01AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360245

That's just catering, and both apps/ecosystems are guilty as hell about it... it's the nature of the beast. If the market wanted ordinary, it would buy ordinary (there is no lack of ordinary in either market, just that not too awful many people buy it.) Overly-Sexy or Overly-Cute sells. Nothing else comes close.

The thing is...if you're doing stuff like forensic animations or workplace training illustrations, you really don't need to buy anything. Poser comes with everything you need. Every once in awhile someone wanders in here looking for a safety vest or hard hat for Jessi, but otherwise...why buy anything?

I can understand why Renderosity might want to cater to what we Renderosity types want...but if we really are a "mere fraction of a percentage of the userbase," that could be a mistake. DAZ makes their living selling content, so they have to cater to people who buy content. I'm not sure that's a good strategy for Poser. They've always been more about selling software, not selling content. Most of their customers may never buy content, and maybe never will.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 8:32 AM · edited Mon, 26 August 2019 at 8:34 AM

randym77 posted at 9:23AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360476

Penguinisto posted at 8:01AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360245

That's just catering, and both apps/ecosystems are guilty as hell about it... it's the nature of the beast. If the market wanted ordinary, it would buy ordinary (there is no lack of ordinary in either market, just that not too awful many people buy it.) Overly-Sexy or Overly-Cute sells. Nothing else comes close.

The thing is...if you're doing stuff like forensic animations or workplace training illustrations, you really don't need to buy anything. Poser comes with everything you need. Every once in awhile someone wanders in here looking for a safety vest or hard hat for Jessi, but otherwise...why buy anything?

I can understand why Renderosity might want to cater to what we Renderosity types want...but if we really are a "mere fraction of a percentage of the userbase," that could be a mistake. DAZ makes their living selling content, so they have to cater to people who buy content. I'm not sure that's a good strategy for Poser. They've always been more about selling software, not selling content. Most of their customers may never buy content, and maybe never will.

Well, it's been that way in the past, but like DAZ, Renderosity makes it's money selling content. Poser's never really grasped the concept of having to sell content before. It's pretty much left that up to third parties. I expect that to change somewhat in the future. I might also add, that selling content isn't the whole concept of the community. Need I remind everyone of all the content stores that have come and gone over the years?

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 9:02 AM

randym77 posted at 6:56AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360476

A huge variety of vehicles (that don't all look like Ferraris and Porsches), streets/scenes, industrial equipment and scenery, weapons (that don't belong on Star Trek), etc... there's a surprising amount of stuff that you do need for such videos and illustrations. Even in the example I gave earlier with my chiropractor, he still had to go out and get the muscle-map texture kit... :)

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 9:49 AM

Penguinisto posted at 9:41AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360483

A huge variety of vehicles (that don't all look like Ferraris and Porsches), streets/scenes, industrial equipment and scenery, weapons (that don't belong on Star Trek), etc... there's a surprising amount of stuff that you do need for such videos and illustrations. Even in the example I gave earlier with my chiropractor, he still had to go out and get the muscle-map texture kit... :)

I think for a lot of those, they'll model their own, or pay someone to do it. You can't just use a generic house or vehicle if you're doing a crime scene. It has to be an exact match. I remember seeing one where Jessi was found dead at the foot of a set of stairs. The defense claims she tripped and fell. The prosecution claimed she was thrown over the railing of the second floor. So there was a lot measuring of blood stains and scrapes, etc. with the animation showing what they thought happened. You're not going to find the house you need for that scene in the RMP.

And in the training PowerPoints I had to watch for my most recent yearly training, it was mostly head and shoulders only. So cheap they didn't even need desks and conference tables. 😆

Nails60 ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 10:13 AM

I think people are forgetting what content actually comes with Poser. There is plenty to create generic home or office scenes, as to street scenes the buildings are more of an industrial/office block nature but they are there. I think most of us forget to even look past figures as far poser content is concerned.

However, assuming these hypothetical people do occasionally buy content, then all the more reason for Rendo to include integration with the store so they won't just google poser content and go elsewhere. Those of us who regularly buy content know our favourite stores, and where best to look for what we want, it is the occasional/new buyers rendo needs to attract.

And as an aside I don't think it is correct to say Poser has NEVER grasped the concept of having to sell content, this seems much more a recent thing, P8 and later. Just look at the range of content available for the P7 figures (Simon, Sydney et al) and Miki 2 from the Poser owners, now under the Poser_Software banner.

quietrob ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 10:43 AM · edited Mon, 26 August 2019 at 10:43 AM

Penguinisto posted at 8:42AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360483

What was this thread about again?

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 10:48 AM

Poser tried to sell content, when they were owned by E-Frontier. That was when we got Winter Queen Jessie, and Content Paradise, and the Content Paradise tab in Poser. They just weren't very successful.

Not sure what the problem was, exactly. Maybe they didn't "get" the Western market, being a Japanese company. They had some good ideas. I really liked Miki, though she had her issues. And I liked the idea of black, Asian, and Caucasian figures that could share clothing, etc. (I still see them used in corporate-type animations.) Maybe they just couldn't compete with...um, other, better established stores.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 11:21 AM

randym77 posted at 12:04PM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360493

Poser tried to sell content, when they were owned by E-Frontier. That was when we got Winter Queen Jessie, and Content Paradise, and the Content Paradise tab in Poser. They just weren't very successful.

Not sure what the problem was, exactly. Maybe they didn't "get" the Western market, being a Japanese company. They had some good ideas. I really liked Miki, though she had her issues. And I liked the idea of black, Asian, and Caucasian figures that could share clothing, etc. (I still see them used in corporate-type animations.) Maybe they just couldn't compete with...um, other, better established stores.

This is my belief, not an analysis. SM was not fully sold on the idea of content sales for Poser. Indeed, it's main focus, in my opinion, was and continues to be software sales. From what I understand, they didn't really want Content Paradise, they just acquired it when they bought Poser. Animation features that they could have developed to go into Poser went instead to software like Moho. Even Blender has gotten into 2D animation with Grease pencil, but it's a feature that SM's had for a while and could have added it to Poser. Or even timeline improvements, editing multiple layers, lip synching, video and motion tracking and so on. I also think Rebelle would have been a better feature added to Poser, but again that's just me.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 1:02 PM

quietrob posted at 11:02AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360492

Naked chicks in a temple with swords. (I hope?)

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 1:09 PM · edited Mon, 26 August 2019 at 1:11 PM

randym77 posted at 2:07PM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360493

There were a couple of reasons why CP was under utilized:

1. There was little to no QA. Product quality was very hit or miss.

2. They went against the standard of allowing unlimited downloads of purchased products unless you paid a fee.

Those 2 things, more than any, were what made CP a less than desirable content store.

Also, I'm not sure what their return policy was - never bothered to try on the few products I purchased there and found lacking.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 1:11 PM · edited Mon, 26 August 2019 at 1:21 PM

Nails60 posted at 11:04AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360489

However, assuming these hypothetical people do occasionally buy content, then all the more reason for Rendo to include integration with the store so they won't just google poser content and go elsewhere. Those of us who regularly buy content know our favourite stores, and where best to look for what we want, it is the occasional/new buyers rendo needs to attract.

I can grok that... on the other hand, there are ways to do this, and there are ways to do this.

Having links to the Rendo store launch from the app (in numerous places - as a separate top-level menu item, a URL linked .cr2/.pz2/.cm2/etc in the topmost-level directory hierarchy of each Poser directory - Characters, Faces, Hair, Poses, etc...) would be a fast, easy, and effective way to do this. Keep it there, but somewhat subtle. OTOH, I'm not so sure that their current path - committing a bunch of drudgework and hazard to what is essentially a glorified iFrame that eats UI desktop real estate, is a good idea. Just my O, though.

willyb53 ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 1:19 PM

Could you please inform us about what you know about how they are implementing the store search. I have not seen any details

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 1:20 PM

Nails60 posted at 11:13AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360489

I think people are forgetting what content actually comes with Poser. There is plenty to create generic home or office scenes, as to street scenes the buildings are more of an industrial/office block nature but they are there. I think most of us forget to even look past figures as far poser content is concerned.

I do agree there was/is a lot there... I was thinking more along the lines of having enough basic/construction-ready assets in stock to kitbash what you need, with a bit of custom stuff (or close-enough) thrown in. Given the existence of hordes of freebie (as in, copyright-legit) mesh sites out there with a surprising level of quality to it, it doesn't cost a lot... but most newbies aren't going to quite get that you can snag random .obj files, import them, map them, and 'poof', good-to-go.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 3:38 PM

Penguinisto posted at 4:37PM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360502

quietrob posted at 11:02AM Mon, 26 August 2019 - #4360492

Naked chicks in a temple with swords. (I hope?)

Oop, let me get back to topic then.

image.png

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 4:41 PM

LOL - that works!

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 5:54 PM

~ROFL~ It sure does. 😁

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

quietrob ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2019 at 9:26 PM

Best answer of the thread! LOL!! Well done!

ssgbryan ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2019 at 11:41 AM

randym77 posted at 10:35AM Tue, 27 August 2019 - #4360234

I have nothing against 20-something white Barbies; I've certainly bought my share of them. But I truly do want more diversity, and I hope this doesn't get lost with Poser now tied to Rosity. Nonwhite characters (thank you for Anuli, Ohki), older characters, etc. I'd like to see middle-aged characters. The few morphs and textures offered for older characters are typically really old; it's hard to create a middle-aged character - say, an attractive man or woman who is 40, not 20 or 60.

This is the whole reason I am spending money on DS figures (and bringing them into Poser, as opposed to buying Poser characters) - in the Poser/DS universe over 90% of the figures are Caucasians, and almost all of them are of the early-20's variety (other races get the creepy Caucasianized effect)

When I started working on my ST:TOS series, the goal was to use ONLY Poser native figures. After a year, I had to move to adding Gen figures, not because I wanted them, but because I needed a wide variety of ages and races, and we no longer have that in the Poserverse.

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2019 at 1:56 PM

Richard60 posted at 1:54PM Tue, 27 August 2019 - #4359629

Why do you think they spent a lot of time on the content tab? Being as it was already in the code base in the older versions that pointed to Content Paradise basically all one would need do is change the URL of where to go to point you at content to purchase. That is like 5 minutes work tops. The harder part will be with the store to make sure you get Poser items and not something else

That's exactly what I was thinking. The code already exists (and is still probably in all the versions – visibility was just turned off), so it is EASY to turn it back on. And I, for one, wouldn't mind having a filtered view of R'osity that shows ONLY Poser-ready items!

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2019 at 2:11 PM

It used to be easy to find Poser items in the MP. You could choose "Poser" from the software drop down menu, and filter out everything else.

But I don't see a way to do that with the new search. There's still a "use old search" option; I hope that's not going away.

I wonder if the new MP search is related to this Renderosity in Poser thing.

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2019 at 5:08 PM

randym77 posted at 2:58PM Tue, 27 August 2019 - #4360563

It used to be easy to find Poser items in the MP.

Front page-> Click Marketplace Many Choices available. Click on New Poser Products. You will be presented with Advertisement for for DS products. Immediately below are Poser only products. Two clicks and we're done.

Second question regarding search.
Front Page Enter your item in the search box. Choices will be presented to you. Disregard and look under the search box. There you will see "Switch to Old Search" Click on link. Use the old search.

I hope this helps.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2019 at 6:34 AM · edited Thu, 10 October 2019 at 6:35 AM

tonyvilters posted at 6:33AM Thu, 10 October 2019 - #4359422

Well, It was hilarious and pathetic reading anyway.

The good news in the transfer was that all SM Mantis Poser application bug reports where transferred to Renderosity.

Posers weak point has always been content and guess what? => Mantis content reporting bugs, (950+ reports) are still at SM. Dumb oversight or is SM hiding all the previous content mistakes from Renderosity?

With no content bug information transfer, I fear that content quality is going further down the drain.

Been Posering since Poser 1, and testing for 10 years, most of us "old-timers" where hoping for better content with less errors.

With no content bug transfer, how can you expect a "new" beta team to find anything? Start all over again? Backtrack 20 years or so?

Please, where can I see these ex-Mantis bug reports?

unrealblue ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2019 at 6:05 PM

Uhg. I'm about to give up.

Why is it so hard to find the (or even "a") place to report Poser bugs?

I long since lost that mantis link. I think the last bug I filed was for v5. Whichever one they first added cloth sims. I've hit another (well heaps, since) but this one just happened. I have a normal map attached to a physical surface node. The preview shows the normal affecting lighting on the texture as it should. When I change the subd level from 0 to anything, the normal map disappears from the preview. It still renders, but you can't see it in the preview. Hardly a critical bug. Still...

caisson ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2019 at 3:02 PM

To report a bug, or request a feature, go to posersoftware.com and click on Support. Then just fill the form and submit. To be safe might be best to write it out in a text editor first then copy and paste.

Checked and confirmed this on one of my props when changing Preview subD level. I'd call this one of the limitations of Preview rather than a bug though.

----------------------------------------

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

unrealblue ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2019 at 12:34 AM

Cool, thanks! of course. posersoftware :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.