Mon, Sep 9, 8:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:35 pm)

Subject: Library is looking in the wrong place for Poser 13 Content.

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2023 at 12:08 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 8:45 AM

I was getting a warning that I was running short on disk space on my main 'C' drive so I tired to move or uninstall and reinstall some programs,  I ran Install Poser 13 program and at the appropriate point and allowed it to delete the existing Poser 13 installation, I selected the suggested option for the Poser 13 content files if you root drive was short of space.  All when well but Poser 13 is still looking for the content files in the drive 'C', I cannot delete these folders so how to I make Poser 13 look in the right place for content.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2023 at 12:16 PM · edited Thu, 13 April 2023 at 12:17 PM

There is a screen in Setup where you are prompted to choose your Poser 13 content location.

When that screen pops up, I usually point it to my D drive. Just the top of the drive itself.

That will install the content to D:/Poser 13 Content.

Given that scenario, included content installed from the Library will get installed to D:/Poser 13 Content/Included/Runtime

And Purchased content installed from the library will get installed to  D:/Poser 13 Content/Purchases/Runtime

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2023 at 12:22 PM
Online Now!

Yiss! Thank you for spelling that out, i am getting there soon with C: and was dreading reinstall. Every other runtime is on my K: drive, this will help!

nerd ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2023 at 1:15 PM
Forum Moderator
Also don't re-use your existing preferences if you reinstall and move the content. The old preferences will still expect the content to be in the old location. Use the "Backup existing preferences" choice during the re-install.

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2023 at 1:16 PM
DCArt posted at 12:16 PM Thu, 13 April 2023 - #4462045

There is a screen in Setup where you are prompted to choose your Poser 13 content location.

When that screen pops up, I usually point it to my D drive. Just the top of the drive itself.

Given that scenario, included content installed from the Library will get installed to D:/Poser 13 Content/Included/Runtime

And Purchased content installed from the library will get installed to  D:/Poser 13 Content/Purchases/Runtime

Which is what I did during set up, I sent it to my M drive.  When I launch the Library it  has nothing in Poser 13 content , if right click and select show in explorer it points toe the C drive location.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2023 at 1:47 PM · edited Thu, 13 April 2023 at 1:49 PM

hornet3d posted at 1:16 PM Thu, 13 April 2023 - #4462049

Which is what I did during set up, I sent it to my M drive.  When I launch the Library it  has nothing in Poser 13 content , if right click and select show in explorer it points toe the C drive location.
And if you're not afraid to edit an XML file, for example using notepad. Make a backup before, just to be sure.

- open up your file explorer
- go to %appdata%\poser\13
- edit LibraryPrefs.xml
- adapt the path accordingly to where it's actually stored, but indeed preferably not on the C drive

Example with mine:

cD4tzDzlGow6bWC4WJMhdokJFrquyxRhSuGeLr0K.png

Oh and while you're there, check poser.ini, especially the line with CONTENT_INSTALL_RUNTIME = ...

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2023 at 2:31 PM

Y-Phil posted at 1:47 PM Thu, 13 April 2023 - #4462056

hornet3d posted at 1:16 PM Thu, 13 April 2023 - #4462049

And if you're not afraid to edit an XML file, for example using notepad. Make a backup before, just to be sure.

- open up your file explorer
- go to %appdata%\poser\13
- edit LibraryPrefs.xml
- adapt the path accordingly to where it's actually stored, but indeed preferably not on the C drive

Example with mine:

cD4tzDzlGow6bWC4WJMhdokJFrquyxRhSuGeLr0K.png

Oh and while you're there, check poser.ini, especially the line with CONTENT_INSTALL_RUNTIME = ...

Thank you so much you are a savior, it took me two attempts as I missed one line on the first go but it worked second time.  I guess you cannot put the Poser 13 content on a different drive in the setup and also check the use existing preferences.  Whatever I did with the drive the install program created a Poser 13 content in the usual place on the C drive but then did not populate it.

Anyway, thanks to you and after about seven reinstalls I am back working,  I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2023 at 2:37 PM · edited Thu, 13 April 2023 at 2:37 PM

hornet3d posted at 2:31 PM Thu, 13 April 2023 - #4462068

Thank you so much you are a savior, it took me two attempts as I missed one line on the first go but it worked second time.  I guess you cannot put the Poser 13 content on a different drive in the setup and also check the use existing preferences.  Whatever I did with the drive the install program created a Poser 13 content in the usual place on the C drive but then did not populate it.

Anyway, thanks to you and after about seven reinstalls I am back working,  I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Since such a long time that I can't remember when, I've always have my runtimes stored on any drive but never on the C: as the permissions are... sensitive at least
Now, Poser12 is in its own folder, Poser13 in its own one, too, and the runtimes collection lie not far away, on the same SSD drive:

O9Ba81MZRQedEGBfDNlbJpHbMmhGNWt3GpJMUfCr.png

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Nas 10TB

Thalek ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2023 at 10:52 AM
Online Now!
hornet3d posted at 2:31 PM Thu, 13 April 2023 - #4462068

Yeah, even when you put your content on another drive, installation still creates a bare bones runtime on your C: drive.  And as you both pointed out, if you re-use your old preferences file, it still looks in all the old familiar places for your content, then gets very depressed when it can't find it.  I always had a small C: drive, so I've been putting my content on another, larger drive ever since Poser started letting us do it.  Because of that, I've never had a chance to make that particular mistake with the preferences, but believe me, I would have done the same thing if I'd had to move stuff and re-install. After all, my preferences are set up the way I want them . . . why do it all over again?  Well, now we know why we should consider doing it all over again, at least after rearranging locations. As I said, it would never have occurred to me not to.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2023 at 1:59 PM

I've been installing Poser so often that I'm doing it almost automatically, so that  I can't remember the details but:
1. among the first questions, the install procedure asks you where to install Poser => not on the C: drive thanks - lol
2. then another question appear (later?) and I know that I select the second option ("install on another drive" or something like that) because the default option (the first) will drop the runtime on a public, shared folder, and that's a "No! thanks, once again" 'cause this folder structure lies in fact most of the time on the C: drive, under "C:\Users" if I'm not wrong, that's the moment when I ask the procedure to put the content runtime onto "P:\Poser\Runtimes", this part of the install procedure maintains the "Poser 13 Content" part of the full name

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Nas 10TB

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2023 at 2:29 PM
Y-Phil posted at 1:59 PM Fri, 14 April 2023 - #4462175

I've been installing Poser so often that I'm doing it almost automatically, so that  I can't remember the details but:
1. among the first questions, the install procedure asks you where to install Poser => not on the C: drive thanks - lol
2. then another question appear (later?) and I know that I select the second option ("install on another drive" or something like that) because the default option (the first) will drop the runtime on a public, shared folder, and that's a "No! thanks, once again" 'cause this folder structure lies in fact most of the time on the C: drive, under "C:\Users" if I'm not wrong, that's the moment when I ask the procedure to put the content runtime onto "P:\Poser\Runtimes", this part of the install procedure maintains the "Poser 13 Content" part of the full name

Yep I did all that and Poser still looked to the 'C' drive for the Poser 13 content which is why I think asking the install to use existing preferences might be the issue.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2023 at 3:19 PM

did you check the poser.ini, as explained yesterday?

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Nas 10TB

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2023 at 4:44 PM
Y-Phil posted at 3:19 PM Fri, 14 April 2023 - #4462189

did you check the poser.ini, as explained yesterday?

Yes thanks, as I posted yesterday I was able to use your screen shots to work out what I needed to do with my poser.ini and it is all working well now.  I was just speculating on why nothing else would work. 

Anyway, all fixed thanks to you so thanks for the help, not only was i able to fix it but I learnt something along the way.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2023 at 4:49 PM

Cool VsxPpb1ILy2cBJ31HC6t3pDzTjJAcYm5M6k0zJcp.gif

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Nas 10TB

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.