Fri, Jul 12, 10:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Jul 09 4:01 pm)

Subject: Only in Poser 13

anniemation ( ) posted Thu, 06 July 2023 at 2:36 PM · edited Fri, 12 July 2024 at 10:07 AM
Online Now!

This little guy rendered perfectly in 11 and 12.  This is is in 13.  Can it be fixed with render settings?

zd7mp4Mpq2ZL7Uf8gbMaqu3RLSGSUn0PhcPAXq3e.png

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 06 July 2023 at 9:49 PM

Firefly or Superfly?  What did the other renders look like?  Settings?  Post an image of the other versions.  

anniemation ( ) posted Thu, 06 July 2023 at 10:12 PM
Online Now!

Superfly.  These are Poser 12 default settings.

full_8a7a07378ddd4e5f88ec858fe28b4a46.png

shvrdavid ( ) posted Fri, 07 July 2023 at 12:11 AM

Without more info it is hard to pin down render issues just from looking at a render.  But in this case I believe the black spots are from not enough max transparency bounces. Try increasing the maximum number of bounces until it renders properly. It doesn't hurt to have the max set higher than you actually need either. To explain why you got what you posted in the first render. Superfly defaults to black if it runs out of transparency steps. This can be handled in a few different ways, Max bounces, shaders that default to transparent when running out of trans bounces, etc.... Turning the max up is far easier than the other routes....

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

anniemation ( ) posted Fri, 07 July 2023 at 12:18 AM
Online Now!

Thank you.

EVargas ( ) posted Fri, 07 July 2023 at 9:44 AM
I believe shvrdavid is correct about the "max transparency bounces", I have seen similar issues when dealing with some of my products that use too many transparent planes close to each other,

Store | Website

petrusvitus ( ) posted Sun, 13 August 2023 at 8:32 AM

can someone please give me an answer. Do poser 13 can handle million polygon like unreal engine and blender?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 13 August 2023 at 10:12 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

I think it would depend on your hardware. My computer can't handle a million polygons in Blender either. Haven't tried it with Unreal, but IIRC, that has a special way of handling them

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

JanusJsenwark ( ) posted Sun, 13 August 2023 at 11:07 AM · edited Sun, 13 August 2023 at 11:07 AM

The Unreal engine uses a completely different technology. RedPhantom is right, it also depends on the capabilities of the machine you are using. Here's an example: My killer carpet...:) It takes about 30 seconds to load before Poser 13 shows it on the screen or you can move something. Even when it's loaded, the image in Poser stutters when rotating, moving, etc. And I'm working with an RTX 4070 Ti. Ok, with a few million polygons that's just the way it is. Rendering the killer carpet is no problem for Poser 13. As described above, correct the bounces a bit upwards, especially with multiple reflections, this is a must, then it should work.

MKp0RRjEM0ylnOTLcRwtAanMBi1jCPqTFh7GeY34.jpg

JanusJsenwark ( ) posted Sun, 13 August 2023 at 11:10 AM

Looks Fluffy....well?

JanusJsenwark ( ) posted Sun, 13 August 2023 at 12:11 PM

Well, this little guy's transparent map is an absolute nightmare. The bump and normal maps are also desolate.

But the price of over $10 is a real challenge. If someone takes the trouble to make such a beautiful chick, then the same care should not be missing with the textures. Enlarged the transparent map with AI, then increased the contrast again... ok, then it looked acceptable. I got the BumpMap from my own fund. I didn't need to increase the transparent bounces, there's no need for such a cheap texture.

T3zVXSMeXKrbqYZdH1hnGUYcNIsdByXHHyuAf0VC.jpg

petrusvitus ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2023 at 8:36 PM
petrusvitus posted at 8:32 AM Sun, 13 August 2023 - #4472475

can someone please give me an answer. Do poser 13 can handle million polygon like unreal engine and blender?

Sorry, not blender, but unreal engine and unity. This software can handle billions of polygon using nanite technology. Thanks for the reply.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2023 at 4:22 AM

The question about polygons already been answered.

If you have the hardware to support it, Poser will handle it. But Poser is not a game engine that cheats either....

So it will never be as fast as a game engine that uses those shortcuts, even on the fastest workstation available.

Most Poser scenes would never need a million polygons. Neither do most game engines for that matter.

Just because Unreal will do it, doesn't mean you will ever need it.

Just because a high end workstation with a 4090 in it will do it with Unreal flawlessly, doesn't mean your system will either...

The plugin for Unity can not actually handle millions of polygons. It automatically creates LOD models to reduce the scene complexity, decimating your scene so your hardware can actually play it back at a massively reduced poly count.. In other words, it cheats massively to do something it claims to be able to do, and it can not actually do it......

Even Nanite in Unreal is a virtualized mesh..... It isn't actually a bazillion polygon scene..... It gives the appearance of being so, limiting it to a pixel level.......

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

molsmith ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2023 at 5:27 PM

I have noticed that in Poser 13, the final render with Superfly is not as sharp as when I render with Firefly. Has anyone else noticed this? Solution?

Mol

Thalek ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 12:58 AM
Online Now!

molsmith posted at 5:27 PM Wed, 23 August 2023 - #4473281

I have noticed that in Poser 13, the final render with Superfly is not as sharp as when I render with Firefly. Has anyone else noticed this? Solution?

Mol

Not my area of expertise, but try posting a render so the real experts can get a look. Better still, both the Firefly and Superfly versions so a comparison can be made.

This will be painfully obvious to the experienced user, but I myself have little experience with Superfly:  1. You may need to increase pixel samples if the image has a grainy look to it. 2. For the same reasons, you may have to turn off Adaptive sampling, or consider lowering the threshold number. When adaptive sampling notices the quality cannot be further improved with further passes/sampling, it quits.  The threshold determines just how picky it gets about the quality; the lower the threshold, the higher the quality.

Might also want to check Depth of Field settings, or PostFX.

That's all I've got. Time for someone who know what they're talking about to answer your questions.

Sorry for leaping in when the adults should be talking.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 10:22 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Mol

As Thalek has said, posting comparison images can help. Also posting a screenshot of your render settings can help us see if there's an issue with those

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 11:04 AM

DoF and PostFX will not kick in by default, you need to set those manually.  Not enough pixel sampling might be the culprit but without seeing render settings, that won't be easy to judge.  If you still use the default image_Map node to load your textures, change the 'Filtering' at the bottom to 'Crisp'.  

Again, are you optimizing your Superfly render settings and using CPU or GPU?

molsmith ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 11:31 AM
Thalek posted at 12:58 AM Thu, 24 August 2023 - #4473311

Mol

Not my area of expertise, but try posting a render so the real experts can get a look. Better still, both the Firefly and Superfly versions so a comparison can be made.

This will be painfully obvious to the experienced user, but I myself have little experience with Superfly:  1. You may need to increase pixel samples if the image has a grainy look to it. 2. For the same reasons, you may have to turn off Adaptive sampling, or consider lowering the threshold number. When adaptive sampling notices the quality cannot be further improved with further passes/sampling, it quits.  The threshold determines just how picky it gets about the quality; the lower the threshold, the higher the quality.

Might also want to check Depth of Field settings, or PostFX.

That's all I've got. Time for someone who know what they're talking about to answer your questions.

Sorry for leaping in when the adults should be talking.

molsmith ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 11:36 AM · edited Thu, 24 August 2023 at 11:36 AM

More about poor superfly renders in Poser 12. These show the issue. The first image is the firefly render. the last image is superfly render.IvMeh2MUiTHbsk6Yk19qlpFLkvo8J03gD9Gc1YSs.png3KJijoO5WUWWoGMOYW7CdXtfG5FuB8MOOScGWlCU.png5jZDfFYjl3WGveL0GC26jwHLIR5hBPf49fRRPzd2.pngTMqFAiioiuVOXwSkewbWd8pI6uCOb8s6oaFuNOYg.png

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 12:53 PM

Displacement appears to be off in the Superfly render.  What shader arrangements are you using?  Are they the same shaders or have you changed them between render engines.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 2:46 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Looking at your render settings for SF, you only have 10 samples and then have the PostFX checked. I'm assuming you're using denoise. You can raise your samples and not use the denoise, or use it less. Also, as hborre said, there might be some issues with your shaders. SF doesn't always like FF shaders. At minium the specular might need to be turned down. And maybe adjust the lights

molsmith ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 4:36 PM · edited Thu, 24 August 2023 at 4:37 PM

I have rendered the figure using the default modes in both firefly and in superfly in poser 11 and poser 13.

Sorry! The renders are sharp in Poser 11 and in 13 THE SUPERFLY rendering produces unsharp images. I have no doubt now there is a critical issue with Poer 13 Supefly renderer. I sell products on Renderosity and the creators of Poser 13 need to fix this!

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 5:32 PM
Submit a ticket and provide enough information (screencaps, render setting, etc.) from the two versions for the techs to compare and analyze.  There have been improvements made in the Material Room but I wouldn't dispel the possibility that they could have broken something in the process.  It's happened before.

molsmith ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 7:25 PM

I'll do a full analysis over this weekend and record my tests. I have used Poser since its very beginning.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2023 at 9:04 PM

I would suggest comparing each root node (PoserSurface, PhysicalSurface, and Cycles) and Image_Map and ImageTexture nodes for any consistent pattern that can narrow down the prospects.

I do remember an issue about render shifts in P13, I think.  Renders are not as sharply resolved as they should be.  I thought that was corrected.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.