Fri, Aug 2, 9:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Aug 01 1:43 pm)

Subject: Installing to New Computer question

igohigh ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2023 at 7:30 PM · edited Mon, 15 July 2024 at 3:49 PM

I am finally leaving Windows 7 behind and the new computer is due here on Monday.
My Question:
I just purchased the P13 UPDATE (from P12)
When I begin installing all my apps on the new computer do I HAVE to have P12 loaded first in order to install the P13 Upgrade? Is the installer going to search for the old serial number in the Windows registry before allowing the install??

I ask as I only want P11 and P13 on the new computer....ALL my Poser installs have been 'Updates' since somewhere around Poser 3.
Window 11 will be sightly new to me as well...but when I begin there will be NO registry key for the installer to find and check....

bawbXCiIA1TcpHYwNRps2P1smBWKK9froEA9JhPn.jpg

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2023 at 7:39 PM

According to the documentation you will need the P13 and the previous P12 serial when installing P13 onto the new system. So you should not have to install any of the older versions unless you choose to do so.

https://www.posersoftware.com/documentation/13/Poser_Reference_Manual/Introduction/Installing/Activating_Poser.htm

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Richard60 ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2023 at 7:49 PM

I don't think you have to have a prior version installed just have the serial number to enter when it askes for it.  Been awhile since I last did that, but when you enter the serial number and Poser sees that it is an upgrade it will enable the extra fields in the box to enter the older versions serial number.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

igohigh ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2023 at 8:51 PM

Thank you @shvrdavid and @Richard60
yup, been a long long while since I last installed on a clean system.....I think I recall once having to input both old and new numbers during an install.

....now I wait....

nerd ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2023 at 12:43 AM
Forum Moderator

All Poser installers are full installations. You don't need anything from the previous version but the serial number. Well that and of course all your collected content.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2023 at 5:40 AM

I can attest to that.  I just recently upgraded to a new gaming computer and you only need the serial number for the latest version of Poser.

igohigh ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2023 at 11:47 PM
nerd posted at 12:43 AM Sun, 9 July 2023 - #4469615

All Poser installers are full installations. You don't need anything from the previous version but the serial number. Well that and of course all your collected content.

Where is the RASPBERRY emoji?!!????
I LOST my two old Runtimes on the drive that died...trust me, I tried everything to recover anything....GONE. Some old classic stuff is LOST.

But I have most of it backed up but will have to reinstall one, by one, by one, by one - Years and Years worth collected content - BUT all my textures, PBRs and others are GONE, will have to rebuild....Fun stuff...not

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2023 at 2:23 AM

igohigh posted at 11:47 PM Mon, 10 July 2023 - #4469788

I LOST my two old Runtimes on the drive that died...trust me, I tried everything to recover anything....GONE. Some old classic stuff is LOST.

But I have most of it backed up but will have to reinstall one, by one, by one, by one - Years and Years worth collected content - BUT all my textures, PBRs and others are GONE, will have to rebuild....Fun stuff...not
With classics HD's, sometimes, this non-free tool can do miracles
https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

But before buying, it may be worth asking.
I've bought it long time ago and I've been able to recover and use an HD that was declare dead, even though with 2/5 of its surface declare bad

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2023 at 4:27 AM

Losing any data is painful but rebuilding one by one seems is a real sting in the tail.  All of my data is backed up and includes all of the runtime and also all of my WIP files and renders and scenes going back well over 20 years.  There are multiple back up but every back up has two features, they all update on a regular basis and, even with incremental back ups, any restore procedure is a question of getting running and going to bed.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

igohigh ( ) posted Thu, 13 July 2023 at 12:21 PM

Y-Phil posted at 2:23 AM Tue, 11 July 2023 - #4469794

With classics HD's, sometimes, this non-free tool can do miracles
https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

But before buying, it may be worth asking.
I've bought it long time ago and I've been able to recover and use an HD that was declare dead, even though with 2/5 of its surface declare bad

Thank you Y-Phil, I will take a look at that one!
I lost my external USB drive with all my home movies and photos on it a few years ago in a power outage - I tried several but not a single file could be retrieved.....luckily I have 90% of that backed up to DVDs......BUT, when I bought this new computer and asked why there is no internal DVD R/W on any of the new models they told me "Nobody uses DVDs anymore.."......?!!?? - - 
I told him "I DO and I Want One!!", so they sold me a flimsy looking USB external DVD unit

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 13 July 2023 at 12:32 PM
igohigh posted at 12:21 PM Thu, 13 July 2023 - #4469960

When it comes to backups, I never rely on CD/DVD's, because those are deteriorating all by themselves. I've lost numerous files over time.
That's why I rely on pocket-size HD's, replaced every 2, 3 or 4 years. And each is connected only at backup time, or at the moment I want to replace it.
That plus a NAS (Synology)
And I rely for this on batch files that uses one of the very best tools from Microsoft, since Windows 1.0: Robocopy. A pure DOS-based, extremely reliable tool.
But indeed, that's for Microsoft-based systems.

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

igohigh ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2023 at 6:57 PM

...I'm up to "Archives 2016" on my USB backup drive....slowly...found a few I thought were gone forever but still searching for some of my main go-to

I am seeing names I have not seen in Decades! I have come across Y-Phil a few time too!
Looks like the 'Pooklings' were before I started the USB....I guess they are gone :*(  had I cute Mr and Mrs Clause

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2023 at 10:38 AM
igohigh posted at 6:57 PM Fri, 14 July 2023 - #4470197

...I'm up to "Archives 2016" on my USB backup drive....slowly...found a few I thought were gone forever but still searching for some of my main go-to

I am seeing names I have not seen in Decades! I have come across Y-Phil a few time too!
Looks like the 'Pooklings' were before I started the USB....I guess they are gone :*(  had I cute Mr and Mrs Clause

And when it comes to search any file, on any Windows, platform: there's the free unbeatable Everything, from voidtools.

PhYl.

jngzsz ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2023 at 2:28 AM

Hello partners.

Does anyone know how many GPUs the Superfly supports?

I mean stop rendering in multigpu

shvrdavid ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2023 at 12:12 PM

jngzsz posted at 2:28 AM Thu, 20 July 2023 - #4470635

Hello partners.

Does anyone know how many GPUs the Superfly supports?

Cycles has been tested with 8+. So I would assume as many as you have slots for. I have seen screenshots of people using 3 in Superfly.

Motherboards and cpus are the main issue with that thou. Even thou there are motherboards out there with 4 slots or more, you need to research the settings on them before buying them. Some boards will allow for the 16x to be split into 4x,4x,4x,4x. Others will not even if they have 4 full size slots, because 8x,8x, is the best it can split up the bus.

Keep in mind that there are diminishing returns with multiple GPUs. The renders take longer to set up, and only benefit when high samples are used on large renders.

I bought a 4070ti the other day, and I am beyond impressed with the speed it renders using Optix. It will run at nearly 3 ghtz (I have seen 2.850ghtz during many renders) right out of the box, without overclocking it at all.... Yes, it is slightly factory overclocked, and it is a smaller form factor card with 3 90mm fans, about 2.6 ish slots wide and about 12 inches long. (Zotac Trinity OC). You are far better off with the newer RT and Tensor cores for Optix rendering. Here are examples of why that is the case.

bB1QcWTMoN0N5fpSNoupGczyD5DMPvzHUck9b7Y8.jpg

I did this as a test with my new card. Less than 7 seconds with simple hair, takes a little longer if there are more transmission layers with more complex hair.. This used the Intel denoise post processing set to about 0.5. If you don't want to use denoise, it will take a bit longer to clean up. But we are talking seconds here. I think the longest I have let a render go is 2 min with this card.

My 4070ti is just shy of a 300 watt card. And then fans don't even come on doing a single render. Less heat comes out of the system than it did with a 2060, even when playing games at 4k. How much you spend to run a system is just as important as what it costs to build it.

If you do game, the 4070ti averages 140-160 fps in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 4k using DLSS, on a system that is gpu bound (no cpu bottleneck). 200 plus in Horizon Zero Dawn with DLSS, and Skyrim is about 200 and doesn't use DLSS, and it is modded extensively with 4k textures. The system doesn't even get hot when doing so. 63-65c at the cores is the highest I have seen while gaming, with the default fan curve.... My 2060 struggled at 1k, and generated a lot more heat with the fans howling..... 

So do you want a render box that wont do much of anything else because the cards are on a slow bus, heats the house and runs the power meter off the wall? 

Or a system that can do lots of things, renders very fast, and it doesn't heat the house while spinning the meter off the wall? And also cost far less to build....

If your rendering movies for a studio, a render box is the way to go. But other than that, not so much....

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2023 at 1:28 PM

I am building a new rig with lots of help this week (old compy is almost 10 years old a d P13 crashes GPU a bit too often) and super stoked about the 4070ti which we got for it. Thanks for the test case description!!

shvrdavid ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2023 at 2:20 PM

It is an impressive gpu. As you will soon find out.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.