Mon, Sep 9, 4:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Ghostly renderings in Poser?

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 12:16 AM · edited Sat, 31 August 2024 at 2:23 PM

file_206027.jpg

Hi, I'm trying to render a ghostly aperition with a 'see through' look but not getting anywhere. Any suggestions? I'm looking for the kinda look like the librarian scene in Ghostbusters and with a 'glowing look'. When ever I play with the transparancy levels Anton's robe becomes see through and that's not the effect I'm shooting for. I know post rending with layers would make it easy but then any type of animation would be out. Trying to get the effect in Poser it's self??

atthisstage ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 12:32 AM

Did you try working with transparency and ambient settings at the same time?

rodpanther ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 1:24 AM

file_206030.jpg

Try these settings.

rodpanther ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 1:26 AM

file_206031.jpg

This is what it does so i dont know if thats the look you want. Just play about with the colours and make sure all settings are for all parts of model

amp-three ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 2:58 AM

First of all, you can export it to Photoshop, and change the opacity level. That solves the "see-through" problem instantly. Then for the halo/ambiance, you can screw with colored lens flares, etc. I would just use the Eyecandy4000 corona filter for it, but the best things in life arent free, so... a3-ro2.gif

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 3:13 AM

Check out the "glass people" tutorial at this link. By making it not quite so transparent, you may get the effect you are looking for. http://www.geocities.com/bjshaven/Poser.html Carolly

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 8:33 AM

And I would start off with just a sphere prop or something simple til you get the look you like, then write the numbers down and bring in your model. Always did like that robe. Marque

atthisstage ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 10:34 AM

Guy, I think the problem is a little more complicated than that. What igo is looking for isn't just transparency; there's also that "glow" thing. And I don't know that Poser can really do that for animation. As drudging as it may sound, you may have to do it on a frame by frame basis in Photoshop.

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 10:45 AM

file_206032.jpg

Here I used rodpanther's settings (actually this is where I started). The problem I get is in RED: it's too "glass-like" rather than a 'transparent ghostly aperition' (dead guy looking over my shoulder agrees ;-) I can play with positioning and lights and get close the effect but any attempt move or animate her and it's back to this (especially in the hip/body areas where the sense of depth goes right out the door. And the GREEN mark is where I try to make her eyes glow, trouble is that the traparancy/reflection combo shines the light 'inside' her (could probably fix that with two tiny lights and a gell filter - but would be easier/nicer in Bryce) My brain's been kicking around the possibilities of full-body transparancy maps.....maybe... (hmmmm, wonder if that librarian from Ghostbusters is looking for a new gig...)

rodpanther ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 10:56 AM

Only thing would be too make the transparacy not so strong on the leg closer or something like that. Its gonna be a tough cookie to crack but patience reaps its rewards. It does look very ghostly though :) Also maybe change the light colours to a yellow or a light blue that might help a bit too

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 11:03 AM

file_206033.jpg

Here's the same settings but with Reflection turned off on all. The effect I am trying to counter-act is the multiplying of light intensity 'inside' the model(s). I need the 'internal light' the cancel, not multiply......? I have EyeCandy 3.0 and some other filters but post-working several frames can be a real pain, especially if you don't want a lot 'light flickering' during an animation. Even more so if you attempt to reduce the colors for web posting.

rodpanther ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 11:14 AM

try turning off the multiply through lights and multiply through object instead. Or turn them both off.

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 28 August 2001 at 11:24 AM

Both are OFF in the last pic above :-( Gotta go fix the truck now but I think I'll try playing with the texture transparancies next. Looks like there's no way around it with the 'slider' settings....

ShadowWind ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 10:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=79407&Start=1&Artist=ShadowWind&ByArtist=Yes

You can do this in Bryce via my Pepper's Ghost technique. I'm having trouble putting together a host for the tutorial at the moment, but if you email me or IM me with your email address, I will be glad to send the tutorial to anyone who needs it. PS: There is no setting that I could find that gets rid of the "X-Ray" transparency effect in Poser or Bryce. Because Poser does not have an external mesh only option, the internal meshes reflect when made transparent. For Poser only, unless you can find a standard glass material, Photoshop is probably your only hope. Included is the URL to the picture that demonstrates the Pepper's Ghost/Glass technique in Bryce.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.