Fri, Sep 20, 8:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: Painted Hair Revisited

whoopdat ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 3:21 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 4:18 AM

file_249217.jpg

Okay, after looking at another dozen or so tutorials and trying things suggested by you fine people, this is what I came up with. I'm sticking with short hair for now since I want to get the general idea down first. I think it's an improvement from my last effort. And before anyone suggests it, this is cropped from a 3000x3000 image. I was smart enough to render high (I did 2000x2000 last time), but again wasn't smart enough to do it with an image that was only a close-up and not a full body shot. Maybe next time I'll think that far ahead (ooh, that's a pun!). Comments, suggestions, etc. are encouraged.

Swannie ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 6:15 AM

file_249219.jpg

Ok, took the liberty to take your image and try some stuff on it. I didn't add any color, so, because you already used the burn tool a bit too much, some parts look burned or you can say she's got very redish hair with a red light on it. :-) You see, even if the image is that small the brushes I use can really define it some more, but still it's better to use as big as possible render. Don't be afraid to use darker parts in the hair. Sometimes it's almost black when there's no light that can reach that part like in the neck area, just behind the head or when light comes from the left the hair is usualle very dark on the right back of the head. Or when one lock of hair falls over the rest it will leave a very dark shadow and when you define that you'll get a much more natural look already. I did this within 3 minutes so it's not like it's how it's suppose to be, but you can see that just by using smudge more and define it later with burn and some dodge you can make it just a little bit more realistic. But still, you did a great job and I'm sure within no time you'll paint better hair than I ever can. Jus watch out with the burn tool, don't overdo it! Set your exposure much lower and just go over it some more instead of high and burning too much at once. It just takes time. Hope I helped you out a bit. But again, great improvement you have made already! Compliments! Johnnie...

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 7:21 AM

Looks great, much better! Now that your ready for Hair 202, let me suggest you throw in some "wild" hairs, if you look at most close-ups you will see a couple slightly out of place ones (or sometimes greatly out of place). I even put "wild" hairs in my Poser hair mesh, it adds to the effect.

vervefx ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 9:46 AM

Whoopdat... This looks like a great start. This is actually as far as I ever get. Swannie.... What brushes do you use? What's the size you use for smudging the hair? Mine, comes out looking clumpy and not natural at all. V

Lorraine ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 10:56 AM

Ok I put the stray hairs idea in for you, basically it is a series of layers using the "#1" brush in photoshop or a very small brush, put in a few hairs at a time varying the type of brush and layer, screen, luminostiy, burn, darken, lighten etc. then vary the lighting on the layer and the opacity until it starts to look the way you want. Another thing to think about is shadows...pick up the color of the dark shadows around where the hairs are and brush in shadows on the face on a separate layer and then work them in a little. Also don't forget that the erase tool, using the brushes is a good way to work in the detail you want...this took about 10 min to do...

Lorraine ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 10:56 AM

file_249220.jpg

Ok I put the stray hairs idea in for you, basically it is a series of layers using the "#1" brush in photoshop or a very small brush, put in a few hairs at a time varying the type of brush and layer, screen, luminostiy, burn, darken, lighten etc. then vary the lighting on the layer and the opacity until it starts to look the way you want. Another thing to think about is shadows...pick up the color of the dark shadows around where the hairs are and brush in shadows on the face on a separate layer and then work them in a little. Also don't forget that the erase tool, using the brushes is a good way to work in the detail you want...this took about 10 min to do...

Lorraine ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 11:02 AM

file_249222.jpg

then do a final lighting by trying to focus the light to draw the viewer to a "look" that you like.... these are just examples to show how to build on your poser image....

Lorraine ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 11:05 AM

file_249223.jpg

filter to add some drama in this case meloncholitron from flaming pear

whoopdat ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 12:13 PM

Again, thanks for the wonderful ideas and suggestions. I see some things now that I've had a chance to sleep on it that I missed or that I'd like to have done differently, but I also see I have a ways to go yet. I'll take these suggestions and give it another shot and maybe have something to new (and better) to show for it in a few days. Thanks again. You're all rather encouraging!

Lorraine ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 12:54 PM

Well don't forget to post your new images...hair is something that takes a little patience, but it is your ideas that make it work. The examples are just that, often it is just the touch of a shadow a stray hair here or there or a subtle application of the burn tool that changes the "look" of the image....

vervefx ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 10:23 PM

file_249224.jpg

I've been trying to paint hair for a couple of weeks now. It does take a lot of practice and patience. I tried all your suggestions and I do need to work on those 'fly away strands' more. I was trying to frame her face here. I think maybe the hair is too dark for some good highlights. Thanks V

Lorraine ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 10:41 PM

just try using the screen setting on either the brush or the layer or both, light wispy strokes or long light strokes work best...put in a few strokes here and there go to a new layer then go back and start adjusting the layers...it is not too hard just takes a few minutes and if you don't like it delete it....also hair will add to the energy and movement of the image.....

Lorraine ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 11:29 PM

file_249226.jpg

ok just fiddle with the lighting a bit and keep laying in the layers of hair the way you think it would be on the head. It is not a constricted painting it is a wispy light layer which can pick up the light in colors...and I always like to pick out some of the skin tones to use on the hair, it keeps the look together.

vervefx ( ) posted Sat, 29 December 2001 at 3:32 AM

Thanks Lorraine That's the feathered look I'm going after. Gonna go work on those fly aways :) V

Lorraine ( ) posted Sat, 29 December 2001 at 7:17 AM

well I have exaggerated it a bit for purposes of illustration; I hope it is helpful. The final result should be more suited to your view of the hair, smoother softer or heavier....flyaway or "organized" ...I hope you will post more of your images....

movida ( ) posted Tue, 01 January 2002 at 12:35 PM

found this searching for something else, might be worth reading although it's specific to Corel Painter go here: http://www.seegmiller-art.com/Images/tutorials/hair/hair1.html

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.