Fri, Sep 20, 8:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Trouble with transparancy

JasenJ1 ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 6:45 AM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 12:01 AM

file_267647.jpg

I started a little project the other day and quickly hit a snag. I'm trying to model a little stone box my wife has with a lattice work of holes in it. As you can see from the render, I used a texture map for the holes in the transparency channel. Unfortunately I forgot Carrara is a surface modeling program, not a solids modeling program.

Can anyone offer advice on a different way to tackle this object? I tried making the lattice portion a compound object in the spline modeler, but Carrara bogged down quickly with all those little holes - and I couldn't figure out how to wrap the shape into an oval.

Any advice will be appreciated.

• Jasen

JasenJ1 ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 6:47 AM

file_267648.jpg

Here's the shader settings.

Also notice the weird stretching on the backside of the the model. I've tried numerous tiling settings, but that stretching just won't go away.

litst ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 7:54 PM

Hi Jasen, Here's a little procedure i follow when i want to apply a T-map on an object : First, you got to choose the good mapping mode . I'd suggest to put a checker instead of you texture, this will help you to find the mapping mode you need . When you don't see any weird distortion on the checker, you're ready to add your texture . Then, load your texture and see if it maps well . If it doesn't, rotate it or flip it with its orientation buttons . I hope it helps . litst

JasenJ1 ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 9:21 PM

The warping of the T-map is less important than the "double wall" effect in the render. I want holes in a thick wall, not holes in two thin sheets. I think my only option is to model the holes into the geometry of the object. But I'm at a loss for a good method of doing so. Maybe this is a job for Amapi? - Jasen.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.