Fri, Sep 20, 5:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:57 am)

Subject: Still An Existing Problem With Vue Since Day One . . .

kruzr ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 1:42 PM · edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 5:47 AM

file_15047.jpg

Good Morning All . . . 8^) I hate to bother you fine members on this forum, but could someone PLEASE help me out in this matter??? I've contacted e-on several times now in the last few months, but have never received any replies to this problem. In the included image, ( above ), you can see a grey scale .bmp image for testing, created in Photoshop, & underneath is the Vue 4.06 rendered image . . . TERRIBLE. I created a terrain, went into "edit object" & selected "reset", to flatten the terrain. Now I selected, "picture", & choose the grey scale image, above, to apply to the terrain. The result is the rendered image. I've tried several different settings for the bitmap & the terrain, but it just won't work? This has been happening with Vue since the original version 4 was released, & with all the different patches released so far, nothing has corrected the problem. TrueSpace 5 or ZBrush have "0" problems using this or any other grey scale bitmaps, only Vue 4.06. It should be a very simple procedure to correct at e-on, but still the problem exists. Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone here on the forum can help me or not, but I would appreciate any positive suggestions or comments, although I'm sure I've tried everything possible??? If I cannot get rid of this bug, then maybe I'll just put Vue away, until e-on can produce a product that will work for me? Thanks in advance to any who answer & you have a good one . . . Mark. ;^)

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 1:46 PM

i have to guess it's the filter... There's a filter in there that's causing this effect to happen in what should be completely flat plane... See what your filter is set to in the terrain editor and if it looks kind of jaggy, that's what's causing the effect above... Maybe someone else will have more to add... :) Hope this helps..

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 1:53 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=751712

Hi Mark;-) As this is a known bug what had be reported before, you should not expect an answer. E-on's people always consider your writing, but if there is no response to help you out... Just wait for the next update:-). Maybe you could try audity's file which is at the link above. Don't forget to put your terrain resolution exactly as the bitmap resolution. Sorry not to be able to help you better, we are all waiting. :-)Guitta

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 6:50 PM

file_15048.jpg

Well, I tried using the above grid both as a gif and as a jpg and I don't get the same results... So, I don't know what else could be happening.. Is this something that only happens to a few???

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 6:50 PM

That thing on the side is part fo the red line.. This was just quick and dirty.. :)

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 9:03 PM

It's the filter, pick a different one or turn the one yer using down a bit. Using a square wave would work better for a filter so pick it instead.....

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 10:12 PM

Hey Pete, long time no see.. :)

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 10:29 PM

Ya for sure ay? I'm still around but on the wrong side of the planet right now... I'll be back probibly in a month or so....

tradivoro ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 12:06 AM

Well, hopefully, you're doing somethign that you like to do way out there.. :)

tradivoro ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 12:19 AM

file_15049.jpg

Anyway Kruzr, here is the same picture above with a function and a filter applied to the function.. You can see that it starts to look like your terrain... So, when in the terrain editor, go to the upper right hand side, there's a mountain icon with a plus and a question mark, click on it... There will probably be a function there adn a filter.. Double click on the filter and set it to any one of the constant ones and try resetting the terrain and re-importing the picture... It should come up looking regular... Let me know if that's the problem...

kruzr ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 11:25 AM

file_15050.jpg

Good Morning . . . 8^) Sorry it took me so long to respond to your suggestions, I was very busy yesterday & didn't really have enough time to create the image that I wanted to, so I could illustrate what was going on. Anyway, in this included image you can see that I did get different results in attempting to use a grey scale .bmp, to achieve an elevated sculpture with a terrain. I couldn't duplicate the same effect as in the image I posted yesterday, but I still did get different results. Both of the terrain objects were created exactly in the same manner, with all the same settings for both. You can see the differences by examining the image. Also, I've included in the image, the settings for, "Terrain Altitude Settings" / "Add Function To Terrain" / "Fractal Terrain Options". I never alter these settings from the default, but yet I get different results in applying a grey scale bitmap to a terrain. Maybe it has something to do with the heat, humidity, or if it's early or late in the day??? :^O As Guitta has stated in her earlier post, e-on is aware of this, so hopefully it will be corrected soon. I do thank you guys for your responses & suggestions though, so you didn't waste any of your time. Thanks again Tradivoro & you all have a good one . . . Mark. ;^) PS: ( It may have something to do with my operating system = PIII 500 / 512 mgs ram / Windows98 SE / DirectX 8.1 / TNT2 Ultra with 32 mgs video ram / Vue 4.06 = full upgrade. )

tradivoro ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2002 at 3:52 PM

Hi Kruzr, I ahve the same operating system, minus the direct x 8.1... I'm also still using the earlier version of Vue... I tried it again and it's still doing it as right as Vue can possibly do... I just wonder why it's ok in some machines and not on others... Sorry to hear it's a problem in yours...

Bop ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 7:27 PM

Wow, Tradivoro, looking at your picture makes me think you should write a tutorial on 'How to build Keyboards with Terrain Editor' !!! :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.