Tue, Oct 22, 10:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: OK 'Fess up if you've had poser 5 crash on you....

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 5:51 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:43 AM

I'm beginning to worry..... Just add your name below and I'll take a rough head-count when I have a spare day or two. mac

phoenixamon ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 5:55 PM

Yeah! Oh, yeah!

Jackson ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 5:58 PM

Lemme see... Yep. In two days it's crashed more than Poser 4 has since 1999.

ronmolina ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 6:14 PM

Not here yet. Ron

soulhuntre ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 6:20 PM

Yeah, it is kinda rought around the edges. But I >STILL< ger more work done faster.

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 6:28 PM

Read my post above this...it has now locked up 4 out of the first 4 times I've tried to use it....I'm getting pretty pissed..and I"m not holding back on the wording... AMD XP1800+ 512 meg Ram GF3/TI500 64meg video 100gig hard drive with 80 gig free Windows XP---with SP1 installed (is this the culprit)?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

a_super_hero ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 6:36 PM

Yes, I have had it crash, particularly when missing OBJ files, trying advanced pictures/rendering with the new hair.

redon634 ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 6:38 PM

Dave-So - we have almost identical systems, except I have 1 Gb ram. The only crash I've had was when I still hadn't set my preferences in Zone Alarm and ZA was still trying to get a response from me while Poser 5 was loading. I shut down Zone Alarm, set my preferences before starting Poser up again, and haven't had any trouble since. Don't know if that might offer any clue. Did you check your task manager?

ronmolina ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 6:45 PM

I know some people are having problems because they are not rebooting after the install. They want to jump right into it. Also, as suggested turn off some items that may be working in the background. Reading the manual always helps as you may start clicking in the wrong places. This is not Poser4. It has alot of goddies lying around. Ron

timoteo1 ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 6:53 PM

As noted in an earlier post, it hung-up on me when I cancled rendering of a TIF sequence using the Firefly (AKA Stone Slug) renderer.

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 7:16 PM

No problems so far :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

thorntoa ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 7:20 PM

No Problems so far - Running Win XP Pro . ..

Allan Thornton

sjk77 ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 7:33 PM

Yeah, it crashed three or four times so far.

glought ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 7:37 PM

I run it on a dual processor system under XP and it has froze and forced a few Ctrl-Alt-Del-End Tasks after going in and out of the face and hair editor to many times. (Whats the best Image size to use from a digital camera?) It is also running way slower then normal. Render times are great with firefly and shadows active witch seem kind of odd but trying to move things around and making adjustments and scaling are very difficult. I cant say that I have had this much trouble with Pro Pak.

Jackson ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 8:01 PM

XP Pro, dual 1.7 Pentium Xeons, 1gig ram, 100gig hd. I did boot right after the install. And it's slower for me too, reaction time wise. Loading stuff is about the same as Pro Pack. The thing has frozen on me under many different circumstances, but mostly, I think, right after or during rendering (with both firefly and P4 engines).

wdupre ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 8:16 PM

no problems here so far, hardware incompatability?

Turtle ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 8:47 PM

Yes I had it freeze up on me twice., I think it's very-very slow to load. I have a month old computer, 1gig ram-80 second hard drive for poser's. Lot's of power, not on the internet, no extra junk at all.

Love is Grandchildren.

pdxjims ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 8:54 PM

Got it at 3:00. Finally finished installing and registering at 3:30 (played a lot of Solitare). Two tried to register. Crashed the first time at 4:00 when I tried to open an existing file (and yes, I did the libraries correctly). Restarted it and it worked on the file. Did a cancel in the cloth room, and wound up with a gray square that wouldn't go away until I killed it manually. I've had to kill it a couple of more times when it went texture hunting too. Finally did a Firefly Production render using just Mike with Guillam, Neftis Curly Hair for Mike P5 (great product) and the volume light cone. Took 20 mintues, but the end result was beautiful. I did get Dynamic Clothing to work, but there are no pants for Don, just shorts. I did grow hair on Mike (actually it looked pretty good, except for the receeding hairline). Am I impressed by everything? The word is overwhelmed. When I finally figure it all out, it'll be wonderful. I've been wondering why people haven't been posting P5 images, now I know - BIG learning curve. Am I dissappointed? Yes. The response/render time of the product is SO much worse than P4. Will I give it up and b*tch and moan. Nope. Well, I won't give it up. I think its still well worth the money I paid. I am glad I got Neftis' hair though. It really helped me understand the hair room. I'm sure CL will come out with a fix in the next month or so for response and misc problems (Don's left shoulder). And the tutorials I expect to start seeing will help a lot.

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 9:08 PM

I don't have a firewall...gulp !!! Defragged my Hard Drive...installed...rebooted.... It really seems like a memory thing to me....or like the screen doesn't refresh or something because windows from previous room get left behind....also I've had the document window turn all white several times...if I run the mouse over the window, outlines of the figure appear...if it wasn't for all the mumbo jumbo to with security codes and all, I'd uninstall and start over...maybe that's what it needs.

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 9:11 PM

Arghhhhh!!!! This is ungood. mac

VAIRESH ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 9:17 PM

Oh hell yes...on 2 different machines no less. One an Athelon 1300, 512 ram, win2k and the other a celeron 700, 512 ram, win2k. Both systems were rebooted after install and each have 32 meg video cards. They have both frozen in 16 bit and 32 bit color modes. The first has froze up 8 times and the second at least 8 times...all in a 4 hour period. The video cards have the latest drivers and latest version of direct x. How do I fell about this......very disappointed ;-( Update: Uninstalled it from the 1300 and put it on a duron 950. It is locking up in firefly render with a 16 meg ATI video card. My Gawd...is SR1 out yet !!!

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 9:23 PM

We need a patch--FAST.... I'm seriously thinking about installing older video drivers...maybe this program is written for older stuff...

ringbearer ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, about 4 times in a couple of hours.

There are a lot of things worse than dying, being afraid all the time would be one.

My Gallery

mysticwinter ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 10:22 PM

I've managed to crash a few times.. ummm turn everything off in the background..ummm no.. I'll just load my paint program and poser 4 up.. one without the other isn't something I'm willing to do.. the pain in that.. use your little painter, close it, open poser, render test, umm not right, close poser, open paint program again.. OMG that would be insaine...

markdc ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 10:41 PM

Crashed once when switching between rooms.

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 11:29 PM

Several freeze ups here too just after install, however, after a couple of reboots it seems to be ok. Dunno yet. One thing I noticed is the freeze ups are preceeded by what appears to be video locks. I'm thinking it doesn't like my ati 8500DV card.

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 11:33 PM

Yes, every time I try to use it.... :(

~ Meow ~

Hisminky ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 12:58 AM

Hard crashes, even CTRL+ALT+DEL won't get me out of. Twice the crash sent me to the farkin SOFT MENU setup on my BIOS. That teed me off a bit. Plus, if it doesn't crash, I still have to reboot cause every other program I load after Poser 5 is closed errors out and crashes. 1800XP, Win2k, 1 gig of DDR RAM. Radeon ATI RAGE with 128 DDR on the card 160 gigs of hard drive space, most of it free. Plus, in the two renders I have managed to coax out of this beast, it was in the P4 render engine, I noticed that transparencies are very VERY different. Am I upset? You bet. color me VERY disappointed.

c1rcle ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 2:12 AM

seems like a lot of the problems have been on AMD processor machines, more problems than on intel machines, this needs investigating, especially for he AMD users out there.

casamerica ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 5:28 AM

Crash? This sucker has crashed, burned and buried itself so many times I have street signs for Hell. As I stated in another thread, I run Bryce4, Vue4, Cinema 4d, Rhino and TrueSpace on this system (P4 2.2ghz, 1 gig RAM, 80gig HD, NVidia 64mb GeForce4) with no crashes, freezes or lockups at all. None. Zip. Nada. I install Poser 5 and the system crashes so often my system has tears coming out of the monitor! Yet, if you read through the threads, it must be our fault, we are doing something wrong, we don't know what we are doing yet, we're expecting too much too soon, our systems are not up to it, etc., etc. Horse feathers! Hmmm,... put me down as "Yes, my system has crashed under the weight of this anchor." But, hey! Did I mention that my registration went smoothly? casamerica

chrisf ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 6:08 AM

The only crash suffered was on registration, managed to get the program unlocked but was unable to copy response code. Since then P5 is a bit pokey, but have not had any major difficulties yet. Running: Pent.4 1.7 GHz 512 Mb Ram NVidia GEforce 2 with 64 Mb ram. Need to play with it a little further. Chrisf

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 8:24 AM

Seems to crash whenever I try to render while running other programs at the same time as P5. (Simple little test renders, even.... Not a multi-tasking software at this time, on this system....) And yet I am not unhappy.... :)

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 10:40 AM

6 times, but I would have to say 5 were my fault, moving to fast I think...Sharen

markdc ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 1:32 PM

but I would have to say 5 were my fault A crash is not the user's fault. It a software problem.

Crescent ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 2:16 PM

XP - couldn't even install until I got creative and renamed two files: FFMS.arp and FFSM.rsr. I've had several weird issues and a few crashes. I haven't put it through all that much, either.

maclean ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 2:34 PM

Maybe I should start a 'Sign up here if your poser 5 HASN'T crashed' thread and see if I get any responses. I'm beginning to doubt if I'd get that many. Not only that, the reasons for the crashes are so varied and the hardware specs generally so high, that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. The way it looks from here, I'm scared to install the dratted thing when it does arrive. Whoever heard of being scared of software?? mac

casamerica ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:33 PM

Whoever heard of being scared of software??<<< Ever see The Exorcist? Well, when I came back from lunch, the monitor of the system that has Poser 5 installed on it was spinning on its pedestal. Be afraid, be very afraid. ;-) casamerica

chrisf ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 5:01 PM

To Maclean: Sorry, did'nt want to play down the problems being aired. I may have an ill-informed concept of what a bug is but I had the idea that a software bug causes the same event to occur under the same conditions to a large number of users. The events reported so far seem to be different from pc to pc. It will take me some time to run through some of the features to see if there are similar problems on my system. chrisf

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.