Sat, Sep 21, 5:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Cloth Room Blues

dirk5027 ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 8:07 AM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 5:21 PM

Boy you can't edit a post I got P5 for Christmas, I have followed the instructions exactly for the cloth room, does it work? Anybody had any luck with it? For a still image what do I set the "frames" setting at? in other words HELP!!

compiler ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 9:13 AM

I had the same problem as you are having and asked Phil C about it. In short, it seems that you must set the frames to something like 30, let Poser compute all the frames, go to bed for the night, and then choose which frame you like best in the morning. This takes a long time and a powerful computer, but Poser 5 is like a beutiful babe : you won't have all the fun with her if you don't have enough money... Personally, I forgot about the cloth room and got back to my conforming clothes. I'm just a sunday renderer and I don't do images good enough to deserve a full ray tracing / atmosphere crammed / realistic clothes rendering. Anyway, the other advances of Poser 5 are more than enough to make the upgrading worth it, in my humble opinion. Hope this helps... Compiler

chanson ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 9:51 AM

If you're having those kind of delays, you're likely having collisions that make no sense. My machine is 1.2 with ~700 MB RAM, and if a singe frame of most simulations takes over a minute, something is usually wrong with my setup. Make sure that you don't have any intersecting polys at the start, and that any movement that your figure is doing from the neutral pose is slow (if it's too fast, increase the number of "draping frames") The cloth room is very usable, and with a bit of practice, should replace conforming clothing for many applications.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 10:05 AM

I have a pretty wimpy little Windows ME and I have inconsistent results with the Cloth Room. Sometimes I get a nice result. Other times the Cloth Room decides to create 600 frames...when it goes beyond the number of frames I have set, I cancel the process because I know it will be endless at that point. In my successful attempts, none have taken over night (but my graphics tend to be simple). My problem is, because I'm so stupid, is that I don't know how to tell if I have intersecting polys. I know something is going wrong in my unsuccessful attempts but it isn't clear to me how to determine what it is (in other words, I've no clue how to troubleshoot the cloth room). Sigh. The times it works makes you yearn for it to work correctly all the time because the effect is so lovely.

Velen ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 11:23 AM

Hi Cloth room tips for set up. 1 set the bend resitance to 1 or below. the setting of 5.0 is somthing consistant with burlap feed bags in the way it folds. 2 set shear to 10.0 or less as the cloth is as stiff as leather at a setting of 50.0 3 set streach resistance to 100.0 or more to keep the cloth from streaching. 4 set dencaty to 100-150 for normal cotton with above setings. the setting of .050 is liter than a silk scarf. 5 colision detection settings. .0300-.0500 for the first one and .0400-.0250 for the second one. in the cloth room, the simulation Must beable to keep moving the cloth eather in drape motion (falling) or in lateral motion Model Animated movement, or the sim will stall and give you the run away fraim count. so be very carfull than there is no poke through at on when the sim starts draping. 6 the drape fraim count. this is equal to time. 30 frains = 1 second in time. So of you drop the dress how far will it drop and settle in X amount of time in real life. you set this number to get the result for the starting point you want for you animation. 7 animation fraims. again the defalt is 30 fraims per second. so you need to space your movements to match that motion in real time. remember the dress will lag behind as it is pulled along with the motion. if the motion is to harsh then the dress pulls into the model couseinf that part of the dress to freez and confuse the simulation. just as if you jumped the length of a football fieald in real life in the blink of an eye your dress would srteach and finaly tare as friction would not let it move that fast. 8 the friction settings. these in the defalts are about equal to sand paper sliding down your skin. it just wont. I use settings of between .00300 - .00500 and .00010 - .00150 respectively to get the results you have seen in my posets here. where the dress will ride up the thighs in squats bends and so on and slide down in simple walking motions. Hope this helps Vel

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 11:26 AM

Wow, I can't wait to try again with your instructions in hand. Thank you!

compiler ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 12:32 PM

file_38997.jpg

Thanks for your tips, I'll try again the cloth room with these. I may have problems with the cloth room because the images I'm interested in are complex (see image), so this slows down the computing. Any idea to make a complex still render using the cloth room and a reasonable computing time is welcome. Thanks to all who take the time to share their skills with the community. Compiler

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 12:34 PM

Are you making animations? Because I'm thinking it might be easier to do the figure with the clothes all by himself, save him, and then set him into your more complex graphic. Unless it is an animation and then that probably wouldn't work very well. I've noticed doing a graphic in pieces sometimes helps reduce the strain on resources. But I know that wouldn't work in all cases.

compiler ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 12:51 PM

I'm not doing animations, but I tend to do Poser scenes with lots of props (the image above is made purely in Poser, including sky, hills, abbey, grass... So there usually is a need to to it all at the same times, to have shadows extending over the right places. Plus I'm a real sucker with PSP and never manage to do multi-layered images that do not pixelise on the edges... Thanks for your help Compiler

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 12:56 PM

I guess what I was thinking that you could create the figure with the cloth dynamics first, save it, then bring it into your more complex graphic. You'd still have your shadows. Just an idea. I have such a wimpy computer that I have to be very careful about pulling things in a little bit at a time. I have Paint Shop Pro to....multi-layering is a wonderful feature and can really make all the difference in some effects. But I know what you mean iwth the pixelized edges. Love the complexity of the graphics. I don't have nerve to do anything that ambition.

dona_ferentes ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 2:30 PM

I'm slowly learning to like the cloth room (ditto for P5, which I've loathed with a vengence until recently). As a fun holiday project, I put the dynamic summer dress on Judy, put a force generator under her feet, and tried to see if it would let me do an animtion of her doing that Marlyn Monroe thing. And believe it or not, it does, sort of. I'm going to mess with the setting listed above to try to get it all to look a little more realistic. it's an overnight render each time, though, even with raytraceing off. I have problems with her hair, too. It blows up at the first gust, and doesn't come down again! Morph

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 3:52 PM

Attached Link: http://www.philc.net

Phil C. has a Marilyn Monroe kind of effect on his website....I'm not sure what he did about the hair but you might want to take a look at what he did. I don't think he was using the dynamic hair so it stayed in place better. I think you can find his tutorial both on his website and on the Curious Labs website: Support - tutorials

Velen ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 8:55 PM

Hi All again. ok for complex sceens what i do is the folowing. Its a bit of work but nessasary. the cloth and hair rooms use a lot of computing power and memory to do there computations. so what i do is set up the sceen then if animated such as a horse and rider moveing through gates in a compatition. I would load the horse and minamul secondary props such as jumps and landscape. then set up and creat the animation for the sceen. now save your horse animation then remove him and the rest of the props. run you cloth or hair sims. reload the horse and the rest of your sceen. and render away :) all will be in proper place and motion. this should speed up the simulations for you. hope this helps laters Vel oh PS the above settings are starting points for you. tweek them to get the final result you want. dont go slamming the settings all over the place as a .0010 move up or down can make a very big diference. Laters and have Fun Vel

dona_ferentes ( ) posted Thu, 02 January 2003 at 12:11 AM

Wow... Messing with the settings can make a BIG difference to the time it takes to calculate stuff... My little animation runs for about 80 frames. Before I tweaked the settings, it took just under an hour or so to calculate the dynamics of the dress and hair. Last night I made some changes to the cloth room settings, and set it calculating, and went to bed. This morning, it's only on frame 14!! That's not rendering, that's just calculating dynamics! I hope this means I'm doing something badly wrong (as I suspect is the case, from Chanson's message in this thread), because otherwise I need a computer that runs at 100-200 Gigahertz instead of the 1.6 I've got at the moment!

wayneout ( ) posted Thu, 02 January 2003 at 1:13 AM

Also you might want to try poserfashion website, there is great tutorials over there as well as PhilC's great tutorials. Some outfits do better if you drape them and others if you don't. I don't believe I have ever used "drape" with Poserfashions outfits. I am using a weak computer with Windows ME. The only time I have a long wait is when I am doing an animation over 50 frames. Try Judy with one of Poserfashions dresses for Judy and you will get the feel of the cloth room. Bill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.