Sun, Oct 6, 9:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Help needed with another simple prop.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 3:45 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:19 AM

Can anyone tell me where I can find a very high poly cube? I need one which is around 100x100 polys or higher, if possible. TIA.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 3:53 PM

Failing that, please post a link to a dead simple, free app where I can bash my own model out. TIA once more. :)

My Store

My Gallery

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 4:05 PM

Try Anim8or, a free simple 3d modeler. www.anim8or.com good manual, and a lot of tutorials on different sites. Check the links? i use it all the time. Mostly to make my morphs. hope this helps, Tony

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

cooler ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 4:05 PM

file_43095.jpg

let me know where to send it (170K zipped with template)...

cooler ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 4:07 PM

btw it's 256 polys per side :-)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 4:08 PM

Thanks, vilters, I'll check it out. Cooler - you're a star. You can send it to: king_dice@yahoo.com

My Store

My Gallery

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 4:17 PM

Sam, If you have uv mapper, you can make your own cubes and other basic primitives, specifying the number of polys, etc. You can then chop them up in uvm by deleting big hunks of whatever you don't need. A lot of people tend to forget this. mac

tasquah ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 4:46 PM

maclean For us learning curve illiterates can you explain a bit more ?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:14 PM

Mac - how on earth do I do that? I have heard people say you can split vertices in UV mapper, but it doesn't do anything in my version. :( Cooler - thanks, got the cube.

My Store

My Gallery

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:18 PM

Um.... I'm afraid I spoke too soon. I forgot that the 'delete' function doesn't exist in the free version of uv mapper, only in uvm pro. So, yes, you can make your own models. Just go to Menu/File/New Model and select Box, Cone, whatever. But, no. you can't delete any of the parts from them. What you can do, is use Menu/Edit/Assign/to material to partly acheive the same effect. Select the part of the model you don't want and assign it to a new material, like 'blank'. Then when you import the .obj to poser, it will have a Preview material and 'blank'. You can then make 'blank' transparent, and you won't see that part of the model. It's a bit kludgy, but it would work if you were desparate. And at least you can get higher-rez models than poser will give you. mac

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:24 PM

Attached Link: http://www.anim8or.com

You know, thinking it over, there's an even easier solution. Go to Anim8or (see link) and get the prog. It's free and can you can do all sorts of great stuff with it. Like choose from about a dozen instant primitives, then cut out anything you want from them. Plus, you see it all in 3d preview or vertices, which helps you know exactly what you're cutting out. I also use Anim8or for making all my morphs for poser. Steve Shanks has a good tute on morph-making in Anim8or at 3d internet eye (not sure of the correct addy). Highly reccommended app for anyone who wants to try making a few extra bits and pieces for poser. mac

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:26 PM

Sam, See above. To split verices in uv mapper, go to Menu/Edit/Tools/Split Vertices. It should work no problem. mac PS Anything else, just shout

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:27 PM

Here's what I'm trying to do... A few days ago a friend remarked how bad water looked in P4, so I thought of a way to improve it. First, I tried mapping a good water tex onto a translucent blue/green cube. Then I added a reflection map (more on that later) and finally, I threw a Wave deformer at it to give it some ripples. Pretty good, but the Poser cube is so low poly that the ripples look as rough as a bear's arse. :) So I fiddled with a ridiculously high poly plane (around 200 polys by 200) and got some nice results by playing around with wave deformers and so forth. All well and good, but a plane looks rather thin and insipid compared to a cube. I reckon that a really high poly cube will have a much better chance of generating good looking ripples, hence my request. As for the reflection map - I'm playing around with a pre-render of the finished scene, blending it with a chrome effect, then mapping it onto the top face of the cube. And here's where I screwed up in my original request... I meant to ask for a cube with each face at 100 x 100 polys or higher.

My Store

My Gallery

cooler ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:30 PM

file_43096.jpg

The split vertices function in UV mapper (Pro or freebie) is a great tool to get correct Posers' tendency to round off sharp edges. In the attached pic both cubes are virtually identical, the only difference being the lower cubes vertices are split in UV Mapper.

tasquah ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:31 PM

LoL thanks for sharing that graphic detail about the bear SamTherapy. Going to take all day to get that one out of me mind. :)

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:40 PM

OK Sam. I've been messing around with uv mapper (free one) and it ain't going to work. Sorry for my misinformation, but it's been so long since I used the free one (I use uvm pro), that I'd forgotten what it does and doesn't do. The box model in uvm classic can't be built to the poly size you want. You only have a choice of dimensions. In uvm pro, you can do all this stuff. Therefore.... I strongly reccommend Anim8or. The 'bear's arse' effect can be avoided quite easily. LOL. mac PS Hey cooler. Long time, no see.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:59 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice, I just created a huge cube in Anim8or. I'll get back to you tomorrow. :)

My Store

My Gallery

geep ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 6:00 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?&Form.ShowMessage=999200

... just use the "Group Tool" in Poser to: Create a New Prop. (see the link) Just a thought ... BTW - you can, also, merge (join) a number of Poser's "GROUND"s together to get zillions and zillions of polys ifn ya want - but then it would prolly take 3-4 years to render your pic. Maybe that's too many. ;=] cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 6:17 PM

Hehe, thanks, Doc. I did join several ground planes together to experiment with. The new cube is much better, though. :)

My Store

My Gallery

geep ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 6:35 PM

Welcome. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 27 January 2003 at 6:24 PM

"... (with only 6 surfaces, how could you make it high poly? ..."

Well, if each side was 100x100 = 10,000 polys per side ...
... and with 6 sides, that would be, um, well, er,
(my dang calculator is really slow today) ...

... about 60,000 polys - would that be high enough?

;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.