Sat, Sep 21, 5:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Texturing Vertex objects for bone animation

Nicholas86 ( ) posted Sun, 16 February 2003 at 3:59 PM ยท edited Thu, 18 July 2024 at 1:25 AM

Any tips on HOW to do this? I modeled a butterfly in the VM modeler all one piece, now I wish to texture it! I named the body, and wings seperate and mapped how I assumed would be the best, cylindrical for body and flat for wings. Yet I can't seem to get the texture room to agree with me. Any tips would be appreciated!? Brian

Kixum ( ) posted Sun, 16 February 2003 at 4:25 PM

It sounds like you're on the right track. Could you post your shader tree? -Kix

-Kix

Nicholas86 ( ) posted Sun, 16 February 2003 at 4:26 PM

haha..thats the problem I don't know how to go about the shader tree and getting it to work. I haven't messed with layers, and the like that much.

litst ( ) posted Sun, 16 February 2003 at 6:39 PM

The best way to texture a model for bones animation is UVmapping by far . Avoid procedural functions or mappings other than parametric, they don't work well with bones :(

Nicholas86 ( ) posted Sun, 16 February 2003 at 6:53 PM

I neeeed help!!! I don't want to exit Carrara.

litst ( ) posted Sun, 16 February 2003 at 7:28 PM

Well, i'd do the UVmapping in UVmapper first ...

ewinemiller ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 3:05 PM

Brian,

It's probably something that could use a good tutorial, but here is what I did for the glider in the Anything Grows and bones tutorial. You can see the AGro and bones tutorial at

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/tutorials/agrobone/index.htm

1. Modeled the creature using the VM, with lots of help from Project Gemini.
  2. Sliced it up in the VM to seperate named meshes using disconnect and then cut and paste. There may be an easier way. I also named polygons the exact same as the seperate meshes. Some things like the named meshes, some like the named polygons so it's useful for them to match.
  3. I set all of them to a reasonable mapping mode depending on the shape.
  4. I exported it as an OBJ and use Mapping Magician (just do a search on google) to normalize and layout the UV space. I liked the way it allowed me to resize the various mesh parts better than UVMapper does.
  5. Saved and reimported into Carrara. Also saved a template file.
  6. I then built a few mixer textures for transitions (like skin to lips, lips to mouth) and used those to texture the object in Carrara using some of litst's shaders as a starting point.
  7. At this point the bones made it look terrible because the procedural textures would change as it animates so for one last step, I exported it back out to OBJ and had it create textures from procedural shaders. It took a long time, but when it was done, I replaced the procedural shaders with a single texture.

Good luck,
Eric Winemiller
Digital Carvers Guild
3D extensions for Carrara
http://digitalcarversguild.com

Eric Winemiller
Digital Carvers Guild
Carrara and LightWave plug-ins

whkguamusa ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 6:48 PM

file_46371.jpg

Some times you have to bite the bullet and use Carrara with other applications. mdc

Nicholas86 ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 9:21 PM

Well share how!!! lol...Steve

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.