Tue, Oct 22, 2:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Those lips... ugh... and the nose... oh god, the nose... (a rant)

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:18 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:31 AM

Well, I do like women. I like real women because they have personality. I like women with a nose that has personality and women with small lips, round lips, thin lips whatever... When I look through our galleries here and through the freestuff and marketplace, there is but one kind of women to be found there: Women with itsy-bitsy small noses, almost nonexistant nostrils and such a delightful (uarghh...) small pointed tip. But worse yet: The lips.. oh god... those lips. Those poor women used to have lips, but someone with a huge stone must have smashed her poor face in multiple times, reforming her lips to look like a flattened tractor-tire placed where the lips are. And all this is then called names like "delightful denise" or "beautiful beatrice". As an alternative we get adolescent girls looking around 13 to 14 years old, called fairies... Well, am I the only one who likes women with the faces that nature gave them? Why must every face look like Dolly Buster or Linda Evans? Why must lips be blown up until the make up half the face? Isn't there a natural character-pack for Vicky? Joerg

Rhiannon ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:21 PM

Well Joerg, the V3 lips are much more natural in my opinion, than the lips of V2. I have to agree that so many of Poser characters have "collagen injected" looking lips, I noticed that quite some time ago. I always tried my best to get those lips looking more natural in V2, but it was very difficult. Not so difficult with V3 though.

Photopium ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:30 PM

I agree with all this. This may be a big reason I am always re-creating Sarah Michelle Gellar/Buffy on new models as they come out. She's got a bizarre nose, fairly thin lips and canted eyes...so very different from most of the characters you see these days around here. (cough which there is unfortunately no way I can distribute cough) I must add that I'm tired of a lot of trends in the community, particularly the whole cyber-goth-gigering of everything these days. DAZ store looks more like RDNA lately. I miss useful everyday clothes and new exciting hair. I miss textures that aren't loaded with glitter and ivy. I miss the America of Norman Rockwell. In most arenas, trends fade off. I am kind of worried that Poser trends are more durable and we will soon move into naked V3 on a haunted fairy spaceship with sword, helmet, and Angelina Jolie face obscured by glittery spiderweb texture. -WTB

rockets ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:39 PM

file_46734.jpg

V3 does have such fantastic morphes! I love making new faces for her. Here's a little image (part of a larger one) with in my opinion, normal features and also dressed in normal clothes. :-)

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

Photopium ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:42 PM

She's amazing! Is she for sale? -WTB

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:43 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=334689&Start=91&Sectionid=0&Form.Search=character&Fo

OK, she is extreme, but I really like characters like her much more than all those "fashion-models" Joerg

rockets ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:47 PM

LOL @ WTB, no she has a Daz texture and Daz morphes. :-)

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

Photopium ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:52 PM

Got a Pose file? :D

pdxjims ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:58 PM

Rocket, she's beautiful!

Poppi ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 6:12 PM

and, that is precisely what is missing from so many of the temple vicki's in the gallery. they all have a pouting expression....one day, i went through the gallery, and, regardless of the shape of the lips, nine out of ten, had the same "pouting" expression. women can, and, often do, smile....and, if you put one in very expensive clothing, in a very expensive temple....hey....she should not have her mouth turned down. shit...if she's unhappy, or pensive, or whatever is ailing her on that moonlit night on that balcony...well, she should either shack up with the pool boy...or, if she is virtuous....go into her mega kitchen and do a search for "chocolate".

lhiannan ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 6:31 PM

For a bit of self-promotion, I guide you to: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=270965&Start=1&Artist=lhiannan&ByArtist=Yes

AKA1 ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 6:50 PM

naked V3 on a haunted fairy spaceship with sword, helmet, and Angelina Jolie face obscured by glittery spiderweb texture. Hmmm. thats an idea.. !!!! :-p Ducks out.. as the angry descends.. yellings ITS A JOOOOKE......

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 6:53 PM

@ AKA1 Die, Heretic!

Shoshanna ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 7:22 PM

hand over face what's wrong with little noses exactly? You've got a point about the lips though, I thought those tavern maids were meant to be able to balance tankards of beer/ale/mead on other sticky out bits of their anatomy. Shanna:-)

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 7:40 PM

I have no problem with small noses - but I dislike these noses that are unnaturally small and look like some doctor dug really deep into the skull to get the nose that small. Most of these models look like this perverted beauty-idea brought to us by all those "Hollywood-Beauties": Get your nose-job with 17 - get your lips pumped up with 19 - get the rest of your nose removed at 21... In the end the models start looking as unnatural as Michael Jackson or as ugly as Pamela Anderson. Joerg

Lucy_Fur ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 7:48 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/freestuff.ez?Form.Contrib=Lucy%5FFur&Topsectionid=0

file_46735.jpg

Here is Luci - she neither has bee-stung lips nor the minimalist pixie nose - and she's in my freestuff

fauve ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 8:23 PM

file_46736.jpg

That's part of the reason why I love the Roxanne character pack so much. There are a lot of faces in there for Vicki -- some old, some young, different ethnicities, bony, plump, what have you. Some of them look beautiful to me, but it's with a very un-"Vicki" beauty. More like a real woman instead of a doll.

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 8:35 PM

Roxanne... yes, that's an idea. Roxanne is by the same author than Boris for Mike?

saur ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 9:16 PM

barb ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 9:36 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?Who=capsces

The author is the talented capsces Here's the link:

Dave ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 10:06 PM

file_46737.jpg

Here's another if it ever makes it to the marketplace... Dave

Patricia ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 10:24 PM

All the micro-nose fanciers are gonna hang me for this, but everytime I see a nearly-no-nose Vicki, I am sharply reminded of some Persian cats I've seen recently. And if you're squeamish, this would be a really good time to stop reading this post..... Due to irresponsible breeders trying for the most extreme squashed face possible, these poor helpless little creatures had such miniscule nasal passages that they had to breathe through their mouths. And as if that wasn't awful enough, mucus had nowhere else to drain from either....... And now, when I see one of those plastic surgery victims (Poser Gallery or Real World) all I can think of is those poor cats! (Not, I think, what the artists had in mind ;)

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 10:43 PM

Dang. I thought this was going to be about Michael Jackson.

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 11:12 PM

"I miss the America of Norman Rockwell." - William Eeeek! Are you serious? :/ LOL I've seen the opposite of what you're talking about. Many DAZ Original products seem to be of the more general type of attire (V3 Bikini, Sports Pack, etc). Many of the brokered products have vanguard themes, but this might be the styles of this individual designers. Some of the stuff at RDNA has had a very normal look to it (aka the Beach Baby stuff). However, Traveler, Xurge and others have their own specific style of design and I think that's ok. I tend to go in a fantasy direction with my products and what I design. But that's what I'm confortable with. Personally I find it boring to design normal clothing. There's definately a need for it - no argument there, but not everyone wants to make it. Steve at Poserworld has tons of "normal" clothing as well as historical outfits. They are all quite good.

Papu ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 12:34 AM

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 1:02 AM

"...Dolly Buster or Linda Evans..." LOL Well, I haven't seen Linda in a while, I never really looked at Dolly's nose and her lips are usually, shall we say, some what obscured. I guess everyone's name will pop up in the Poser forum eventually.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

catlin_mc ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 1:54 AM

JoeyAristophanes ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 9:47 AM

Poppi, she's not pouting. She's looking "dramatic". #17? Those look like real lips... not. More like a vagina that's been moved to the head, which probably says a lot right there.

barb ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 10:19 AM

::LOL:: They're called labial lips. Check out Germaine Greer's writing. Of 30 years ago.

JoeyAristophanes ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 11:03 AM

Not a Greer fan and before my time. :)

barb ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 11:14 AM

re: Not a Greer fan and before my time. :) Not really ::LOL:: She seems spot on with this thread ::LOL::

fauve ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 11:59 AM

:) I met quite a few women in Kenya and Nigeria who had faces very similar to that Capsces morph, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much. I think she's lovely. Can't say I've ever met any woman who looks like most of the Vickis in the gallery.

FishNose ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 2:12 PM

This whole thread is about personal taste. This nonsense is typical arrogance - "I have much better taste than you and the lousy images in the gallery are sooooo common and prinitive " - and such crap just irritates me. If you don't like the faces or the poses or whatever that other people do, do something better or look elsewhere. Don't expect others to bow to your opinions on good/bad taste. Whether or not the Vickis in the gallery look like real women is TOTALLY uninteresting besides - who the hell makes the rules? Must all characters in Poser look like real people? No creativity, no imagination, no messing about allowed???? Jeez..... Get real, you lot. Respect other people's taste and ideals instead of forcing your own on them. :] Fish

JoeyAristophanes ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 4:11 PM

Hey, Fish, check a mirror and then come back with the rant, okay? Or is only your personal taste supposed to rule?

lhiannan ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 4:13 PM

Fishnose, I didn't see anyone in this thread drive to someone's house and hold a gun to their head while forcing them to make big noses and small lips on their Vickies. NO ONE is forcing anyone to do anything. The problem with the insanely small noses and blown up lips is just what you stated: No creativity, no imagination, no messing about. What is the ratio Supervickies to Vickies who look much different than the model that loads on your screen? I don't expect people to bow to what I want in Poser, if I did I would have left Renderosity long ago. What I do expect is not to see people bashed and insulted for stating a personal opinion. However, Renderosity, especially the precious little Poser forum, is becoming THE place to come and get insulted and bashed for no real reason.

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 4:14 PM

Well I think most of the feeling there was the fact that the trend is in one certain direction. And reinforced by the marketplace, in a cycle that feeds on itself. Considering the amount of the Poser gallery that I view, lets just say that I've noticed the trend as well. And no, it doesn't appeal much to me either. Lyrra (oh and Fishnose, watch the language dear ... I speak British grin)

capsces ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 5:07 PM

Joerg, I attempted a variety of women with Roxanne, and hope I accomplished this. She has the morphs to change most aspects of her nose, her lips and the rest of her. On post #28, I think Joey's remark concerning #17 was uncalled for and gives me a clear idea of what body part sits on his shoulders. :) Beth

FishNose ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 5:34 PM

lhiannan - I'm certainly not doing any bashing - I'm pointing out that others are being bashed here. The derisive attitude towards certain 'taste' is just sooooo elitist. My own personal taste has nothing to do with it - I don't have any problems with other's tastes, on the contrary - the problem is the derision inherent in many of the views posted here. If you haven't been derisive in your posts, this doesn't apply to you, of course. Lyrra - the 'trend' you speak of is a sure sign that people are getting what they want. That's what an open, unfettered marketplace is for. Regardless of the quality, tastewise, of the merchandise. :] Fish

JoeyAristophanes ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 5:53 PM

Beth, my apologies if you feel my remarks were uncalled for, but it's kinda hard not to see it in the image. And it sure doesnt take much to know why its the way it is. And what sits on my shoulders is my neck and head and brain. Thanks for asking. Fish, go back to that mirror and then tell us about derision and bashing. We'll be waiting.

SWAMP ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 6:37 PM

file_46738.jpg

Oh Crap..you guys are upsetting me...I'm going to go get a nose job..

capsces ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 6:41 PM

Perhaps you see it that way, which I'm sure says a lot about you. And, I didn't ask what sits on your shoulders as I already knew. However, I am sure you will continue to be deluded.

Shoshanna ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 6:50 PM

love the picture swamp. Is this turning into a fight? Shanna :-)

barb ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 6:54 PM

Swamp: She is gorgeous. I love that. - Barb

capsces ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 7:06 PM

I think it is a great character, SWAMP. I think all the characters above have features that make each appealing and unique.

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 7:26 PM

@FishNose: Well, this started out as a rant. A rant by definition goes against something. In this case my rant went against all those tiny noses and swollen lips. Well, some people certainly seem to like those swollen lips and non-existant noses - I don't. I prefer women with more natural faces. Apart from that, I think that this representation of women is somewhat degrading, as we all know, what that pouty look and those huge lips are suggesting. But it is all just a rant. I won't tell anyone what to do, I just blew some steam... Joerg P.S. And I still think that Cleopatra had a very nice nose - not a non-existant one. And she was considered one of the most beautiful women of her time.

JoeyAristophanes ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 7:37 PM

Gosh, Beth, is that a personal attack? We all know about Renderosity's Zero Tolerance on personal attacks, so you might want to reconsider your statement. For myself, I stand on my assessment. Learn to live with it.

fauve ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 7:55 PM

file_46739.jpg

Joey, when you say "And it sure doesnt take much to know why its the way it is," (presumably referring to the way the lips were created in the morph), you've lost me.

The morph is that way because there are women who have faces like that. Here are pictures of two of them from Kenya. If you think there are other reasons "why its the way it is", then I don't know what they are and I'm the one who made the image, and Beth doesn't seem to know what they are and she's the one who created the morph.

Joerg asked about non-typical Vicki faces. I thought that the Roxanne set represented a great array of facial types that you very seldom see in the gallery or marketplace, so I posted an image using one and suggested Roxanne to Joerg. That's all.

fauve ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 8:11 PM

file_46740.jpg

Let me try again. Joerg, here's another image with a character from the Roxanne pack. Hopefully one with nothing that can be taken as a subliminal message. ;)

capsces ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 8:19 PM

I created the facial pose as a representation of a type of women I have seen. Your statements lead me to believe you are attacking all women with lips such as these. Your statement from the start lead me to believe you were attacking my work and the thought process that went into it. From what I can tell, you are the one who started and continue to attack people. So, perhaps you should reconsider your statements.

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 8:22 PM

Hey, I said nothing against the Roxanne-Package. On the contrary: I am working really hard and fast on the new Glacier-Mike-Outfit so I can trade it for something... My remark about those swollen lips wasn't coined at your image, but at all those no-nose-all-lips-vickies hanging around in temples, giving the camera a pouty look. I really like what I have seen from the Roxanne set. Joerg

SWAMP ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 9:07 PM

...and speaking of big lips..have any of you tried the new hamburger MacDonalds is selling? ..it's made completely from cow lips.. they call it the MacJagger

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.