Fri, Sep 20, 10:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: Poser 5 for $100 at Amazon!

whoopdat ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 3:43 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:25 PM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IXA4/104-7307688-1928734

Howdy folks. Sorry if this is a repost, but I figured there's gotta be someone who has missed it if so. Been lurking for a few months, but thought someone might like this. The link is attached, and I'm fairly positive I removed any referrals from it (I'm not profiting on this!). Cheers.

Rhiannon ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 4:11 PM

Wow ... that's pretty cheap! Still not gonna' buy it though. :-)

Gorodin ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 4:15 PM

That is an extremely bad sign...

wheatpenny ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 4:25 PM
Site Admin

I'm ho;ding out till they get desparate enough to drop it to $50 :P

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 4:26 PM

Rhiannon, you're smart. The correct price for Poser 5 is -$500. (Seller pays the buyer for pain and suffering.)

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

dirk5027 ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 4:40 PM

I'm a little confused are you selling your poser 5 or did curious labs drop the price, the seller name listed is curious labs

praxis22 ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 4:52 PM

"bad sign" yeah, I'll say, I think this is what you call inventory clearence. I don't know, pre-order premium to bargain bin in 6 months, gotta be some kind of record. For those of you thinking about it, at that price it's not actually that bad. The new render engine, and texture room is probably worth it. Especially if you own P4 and you want to experiment. later jb

ryamka ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 4:52 PM

Curious Labs is listed as the manufacturer, not necessarily as the seller. This is the same way that a Band is associated with an album name. However, the truly scary part is that it is listed as #48 in Amazon sales rankings.

artbyphil ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 5:31 PM

hi I had a look on amazon .co.uk out of curiosity but its still 300.00 ($475.00) here so I think I'll have to give it a miss at that price.

milamber42 ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 5:38 PM

From the Amazon page.... List Price: $549.00 Price: $149.99 You Save: $399.01 (73%) Special Offers: $50.00 Price After Special Offers: $99.99 The special offer is a $50.00 rebate from Amazon.

ryamka ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 5:49 PM

My guess is that we are finally at the end of the count. Curious Labs is down, and the count is almost to 10. The inital burst of sales is over. That money was most liekly spent paying salaries and and delinquencies. Word of mouth, and rumours of Daz Studio most likely (though, in my opinion, most definitely) have killed any straggler sales. Neutral and unfavorable press reviews have also not helped. With the minimal staff on board, plus the "contract" support from previous CL employees that can be terminated at any point, I think it is all a done deal, regardless of what they may be saying about a Mac release or any other support. I have been and will continue to be a staunch supporter of the program, but the lack of updates and general status information flowing out of CL at their site leads me to believe that the end is near.

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 6:03 PM

I see that casamerica didn't hold back on his opinion at Amazon. The severe price drop is both distressing and annoying. Yes, I expect that if I buy something early on, it will eventually get cheaper, but this soon and by this much is ridiculous! Ah, well. If I can keep P5 together well enough to pose and then get a plug-in to send it to LW, I'll be happy enough. And if DAZ Studio does well, I'll be even happier. Cheers!

Jim Burton ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 6:15 PM

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. Sir Winston Churchill

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 6:28 PM

I read a lot of the reviews at Amazon (and no, I haven't written any. None of my business to do so.) All I can say is, even Amazon's official review is pretty scathing and backhanded; I wouldn't want that kind of "compliment" about anything I made... ugh. I guess y'all had better start backing up all them Poser 5 SR packages, and make sure you got an additional copy of P5 stashed away. It looks like the ship is beginning to rise 'er stern, Cap'n. /P

Allen9 ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 6:36 PM

Not long till the end of the end, at this rate.

sandoppe ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 6:44 PM

I'm waiting for the clearance on Poser 4......then I can get something that's really useful! :)

Momcat ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 6:44 PM

Maybe they'll be smart and dump it so someone else can come in and fix it

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 7:20 PM

Looks like Amazon really wants to get rid of any stock they might have :o(. Sad. Laurie

Disciple3d ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 8:10 PM

Yep, I feel appreciated. Where's my $243 bucks rebate CL beeotches?

If you want to up your content game, get schooled to be a pro with Sixus1 Mentoring today!

Turtle ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 8:34 PM

?????? Wheres my money??? I realize I was a big fool and wasted my money. You know what ticks me off, is all the work you all did to help with the beta stuff. I have been just waiting for CL to post a real fix to this program. If this is the end, we will never get the program fixed.

Love is Grandchildren.

JHoagland ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 9:00 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again- I paid $349 for the priviledge to "pre-order" and received a buggy program when I could have waited 6 months to save $300 and get a less-buggy program?? Here's hoping CL's $1,600 Pro-V "web development" tool does a better business. I hate to say it, but I know I won't be buying anything from CL again. So, for all the Mac users that are waiting for Poser 5- hold out at least 6 months after its release... until Amazon has it on sale for $50! It's well worth it at that price. --John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

BluesPadawan ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 9:05 PM

Off Topic - Wooooooo Hooooooo Turtle's back from her cruise.....hope you had a fun time...we've all missed your fairies!

sandoppe ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 9:12 PM

They're selling a "web development tool"?? If their site is an example of what you can produce with it, I guess we can look forward to that going in the dumpster as well! I hope potential customers take a look at their track record.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 10:07 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

file_47478.jpg

Just after midnight, on the deck of the SS Draper (a member ship of the DAZ Line), Aiko and I were chatting it up, having a great time and taking in the night air after a wonderful evening of gourmet food and intelligent conversation. My thoughts turned towards more down-to-earth pursuits, especially every time I see her in that low-cut dress. Hmmmmm.... I think I'll ask her down to the stateroom for a bottle of fine 1889 Beaujolais and... Suddenly, she brings my attention away from her deep liquid eyes, and focuses them instead on an unfolding disaster, not 5 miles distant! "Oh my, Peng! What on earth is going on over there!" "I'm not su- Oh my, is tha- It is! I'll be damned! It's the RMS Curious Labs, of the EGISys Line!" "It is? But that's the biggest ship in all of Poserdom! Will they be alright?" "I'm not sure - she looks pretty bad off - see, she's rising at the stern even now..." Aiko drew in a sharp breath of fear... "We, we'd better hurry up and tell Cap'n Farr about this! Maybe we can get him to tow the Curious Labs to safety!?" (Err, after tearing my eyes off of her suddenly heaving chest only with the greatest of mental difficulty...) "I dunno, babes... if we get too close, we could get sucked under ourselves. I mean, that's one real big boat there, it must weigh a quarter-million tons at least (not counting a few of the egoes on board, natch.) See that iceberg - no dear, the one over there, the one labelled 'Poor Coding Practices'? Yeah, that one. See - looks like it bit 'em real hard." Her large eyes took pity on the slowly heaving hulk of steel in the distance. The she wheeled around (dammit, this time she nearly caught me staring at her cleavage... gotta be more careful this time!) "But how did it get into so much trouble, Peng? It was supposed to be the latest and greatest! I saw the advertisements, even. They were the biggest of the big! They were huge! they were, were... what's the word I was thinking of?" "Tita-" "No, it's 'Massive' I was thinking of! Yeah, they were massive! Insoluble even!" "Well m'dear, arrogance is a pretty ugly thing sometimes. I mean, they promised so much, and given the technology, there was no way anyone could deliver, even if their budget was twice as big! In fact, I remember hearing over the wireless what Cap'n Cooper said to that Kammerer guy over on the cargo steamer SS Renderotica (DSI line)... all about how they were bigger and better, and that nothing was going to stop 'em. Hell, Jack even warned 'em point-blank, but you shoulda heard the insults that came flying back! " Aiko peered into the distance... "Why aren't they lowering the lifeboats?" "Dunno, sweetie - prolly because the morph dials keep causing a BSOD?" "Dammit Pengy, I'm serious!" Aiko pouted... (Damn, she looks gooood when she sticks out her lower lip like that... *ahem*) "Well, I guess they don't want to spook anyone. After all, they got quite a few people to shell out a whole lot of cash for that trip, maybe they don't want anyone panicking." I peer into the distance myself, and faintly, just faintly, I can hear a megaphone in the distance: "Vickies and Milgirls first!" ...and another: "Dork! - get OUT of that boat this instant!" ...and one more: "No, No, NO! You canNOT take that sword with you!" The wind picked up to a whisper, but enough to drown out further conversation. (Hey - was Aiko just scoping out my backside? She sure did move her eyes real quick... I didn't realize this clown suit was such a chick magnet...) "Did you hear all that, babes?" I asked my companion, nodding towards the distance. "Sorta. You may have been right about them morph dials after all..." We felt the ship underneath us lurch slightly, and head towards the unfolding disaster. "Peng! it looks like we're heading that way!" ("yeah but prolly so Cap'n Farr can get a better view of Kupa choking on seawater right as he goes under" I mumble under my breath.) "What was that?" "Oh, nothing sweetums, nothing." About this time, Third Officer Steve Kondris appears, and stayed just long enough to inform us that, "We'll be unlimbering DAZ|Studio shortly, so don't be alarmed if you see use moving things around a bit. You two have a great evening. Oh, and Peng, keep your eyes off of her chest, willya? It just ain't healthy to stare at a woman like that." (Doh! Damn you Steve! Damage Control! Damage Control! WTF did you have to go and say that for! Now she's getting mad... Ack! Don't just stand there, Peng, say something - - anything!) "Aiko m'dear, did I ever tell you how beautiful you look when you're angry...? "

sandoppe ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 10:37 PM

Excellent! :)

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 10:54 PM

snicker Laurie

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 11:03 PM

snicker (Couldn't help it.)

MachineClaw ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 11:25 PM

ROTFLMAO!!!!! wipes tears of laughter from eyes whew! okay, I may not agree with your assessment, but that was just one funny storyline. Thanks, I definately needed that tonight.

CrystalDragon ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 12:36 AM

This means that the full version is now cheaper than the academic version... ;_; ~DM

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 12:48 AM

It also means that version 5 is considerably less expensive than version 4. Kwazy.

Puntomaus ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 2:23 AM

Ok, here comes my comment: I like Poser 5 and on my system it's everything but buggy. My latest direct info from Egisys is that they are not selling Poser and that the german version has been released.

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

casamerica ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 2:38 AM

I see that casamerica didn't hold back on his opinion at Amazon.<<< Nothing that I did not state, get flamed and threatened for here, Crescent. I do have to state that I believe Amazon may have altered their own review since I last read it. I can't say for sure, but I do not remember their review being as negative as it now reads. Also, in December the shipment was "Usually within 24 hours." That is considerably different than what it now states. It does cause one to speculate. Oh, well. To me, it is all history. Take care, be well, keep flying. casamerica

Niles ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 3:51 AM

Man this is a great deal, I passed this on to friends... hope they will still call me a friend ;) I like P5, and the more I know about it the more I like. Just hope CL keeps us updated.

Cromwell1 ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 4:06 AM

Well, I am still feeling burned after buying this program. I think CL should have re-designed this thing from the ground up with a 3D engine. But that was their mistake. I won't buy anything else from CL and I am really anxious to see what Daz is cooking up with their Studio program.

pink999 ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 4:20 AM

The funny thing is that if you go to Amazon.de (german amazon site) you can get poser 4 for 99 euros but poser 5 is at 500 euros!!! The best way to go may be to Buy poser 5 at amazon and the "upgrade" it to poser 4! mouahah :P

Caly ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 7:48 AM

And here I'm just waiting for the Mac ProPak update to go down in price... geesh.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

JohnRender ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 8:16 AM

So why don't we all go and write customer reviews for Amazon.com? Start flooding the place with reviews from us "experts".

Schlabber ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 8:25 AM

tsk tsk tsk ... Maybe this'ld lead to the first sighting where an older programm is sold more expensive then the actual version ... too bad - now it seems all the additional poses I've done for CL during the process of developing Poser 5 will never be shown ... tsk tsk tsk

casamerica ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 10:28 AM

So why don't we all go and write customer reviews for Amazon.com? Start flooding the place with reviews from us "experts".<<< Never claimed to be or stated I was an "expert," JohnRender. If you disagree with my review, which was written in December I believe, please feel free to offer your own. Take care, be well, keep flying. casamerica

Crescent ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 10:38 AM

casamerica - I wasn't flaming you. I found it amusing, that's all. It was like reading a newspaper article and going, "Hey, I know the person they're quoting!" (Yeah, I'm a bit weird.) I've also had a lot of problems with P5, so I know what you're going through. Cheers! (But you forgot to mention how seamless the registration process was.) ;-)

sandoppe ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 11:14 AM

pink999: Actually I wrote CL sales department and requested that they allow me to do just that.....I told them I would gladly pay the upgrade price to move from P5 to Poser 4! :) I was serious and very polite about it! They never answered! :)

Vazdru ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 11:16 AM

ohhhh am I ever glad I didn't buy it last week at the CL site like I was planning on doing......I'll actually shell out the cash for it at Amazon, and I've already printed out that rebate sheet too. Think I'll pop over to CL and DL those SR files, and burn them to CD for safekeeping, just in case. grins -Batty-

casamerica ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 11:19 AM

casamerica - I wasn't flaming you. I found it amusing, that's all. It was like reading a newspaper article and going, "Hey, I know the person they're quoting!" (Yeah, I'm a bit weird.)<<< No problem, Crescent. Not your fault. Like I said in the IM, my apologies for not making my meaning more clear. >>>I've also had a lot of problems with P5, so I know what you're going through.<<< Not anymore and not for quite awhile now. Poser 5 was taken off the one system I had it on for testing and it has been banned from ever being reloaded on any machines within our network. It is history. >>>(But you forgot to mention how seamless the registration process was.) ;-)<<< LOL! You know, it would have been better if the registration had been a nightmare. At least I would have some warning as to what was to come. ;-) Take care, be well, keep flying. casamerica

fauve ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 11:45 AM

sigh I was a pre-order sucker, too. Like piling a couple hundred bucks on the floor and then setting fire to it.

praxis22 ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 11:49 AM

Nice one Peng, I like it when she pouts too, but it's usually by accident :) I actually thought that while reading the reviews, "hey I know that guy/girl/thing!" :) Glad at least one of us could make it, anyone else get thier name in lights? :) later jb

Chas ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 9:50 PM

Just a second. Yes, CL made a mistake releasing P5 before it was ready, and a lot of folks (justifiably) feel like they've been screwed. But when I see that small group of people overcome with glee about CL's situation, that's a bit much. Keep in mind, the folks from CL were on these very boards long ago (and pretty dedicated over time), asking "What do you want to see in Poser5?" You remember the list? Collision detection, cloth draping, photo-to-mesh modeling, a whole new render engine (yet one which could still render on the fly as P4's preview does), a solution to helmet hair, defined cloth properties, joint editing, wind and motion simulation... and there was obviously a concerted effort to try to deliver a lot more of that list than we'd expected. It's likely the time and money that they spent putting all of that in there that got them backed into a corner and economically forced to release it before it was ready. It doesn't change what's happened and doesn't invalidate the problems people have had, but remember the context before celebrating, okay? Devil's Advocate Chas

Crescent ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 10:12 PM

But we also remember being told that P5 was being rebuilt from the ground up: Leave no code unturned. In the meantime, CL released Avatar Lab when people were clamoring for P4 and PPP fixes since P5 was not ready and that was a big let down. (It was greeted with a "WTF?" response.) PPP never lived up to its promise for exporting to 3DS Max, not after 3 service packs. After 3 years, P5 came out. People felt lied to when they saw all the same unfixed bugs from P4 plus new ones. Combine that will all the delivery fiascos, (remember the "one-legged Irishman on his bike" jokes?) the price reduction below pre-order price soon after release when everyone who pre-ordered was promised a special deal, and the near uselessness of the P5 software out of the box and I think it's easy to understand the anger. I feel very sorry for the human beings that made up CL, but I don't feel sorry for the company. Whatever the reasons, they made bad business decisions and we're stuck with Russian Roulette software. Spin the barrel and pull the trigger. If you're lucky, it'll work for most things. (I haven't heard of anyone getting the collision for the hair to work properly, for example.) Some of us ended up with the bullet to the computer. Even with SR 2.1, it's still not doing all that I expected from the press releases, and I'm only using the Pose and Material Rooms. And as far as people can tell, they've turned away from Poser to support their sexy, new, hideously expensive 3D Internet software, just like MC did just before dumping Poser entirely. While I think a few people have gone overboard in their anger (and I'm not saying it's anyone in this thread), I really think disappointment, at the bare minimum, is perfectly justified. (I'm usually the Devil's Advocate, but since I'm going up against Chas, does that make me the Angels' Advocate?) ;-) Cres

milamber42 ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 10:25 PM

LOL Peng! Glad to see that you have a thing for Aiko. She is one neglected lil lady. Have you seen the new outfits Xena created for here at PoserPros?

Hopefully the EGI Sys developers that worked on Poser 5 are working on some bug fixes. Hopefully DAZ Studio will be some "healthy" competition and some of the memory leaks and other problems will be fixed in Poser 5.

Only time will tell.

CrystalDragon ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2003 at 11:18 PM

Ok, Schlabber, I have to ask... What additional poses (I know you did quite a few of the originals for Judy/Don, but there's more)? Where? I want! Please ^__^ ~DM

Quoll ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 2:18 PM

So we can expect to see P5 for free on a Magazine CD by June, right? LOL!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 2:28 PM

:deep sigh: There are people still working at Curious Labs. Good people. Trying hard. They must wonder what on earth for as they see you guys gleefully dancing on a possible gravesite. A word of encouragement would probably go a long way, but that isn't nearly as satisfying as howling with the pack and tearing down the efforts of people who actually build the products which support your dreamworlds. This isn't Kansas... it's Negativeland. Carolly

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.