Fri, Sep 20, 3:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / OT

Welcome to the OT Forum

(Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:07 am)

This forum is a place to relax, unwind,and
discuss topics which may not be appropriate for the other forums.

Remember to stick to discussing issues, not members.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

We want this forum to be enjoyable for everyone.
Please read and understand the TOS before posting.

Subject: OT: a question...and a little research ;o)

SWAMP ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 2:47 AM

The one movie that really scared the crap out of me...... The original JAWS.I used to do alot of skindiving before that. SWAMP

Fashionably_Late ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 2:57 AM

If you think horror movies scare you, try live horror theater! On my last visit to London I saw, "The Woman in Black", which has not a drop of blood and no 'monsters', and its performed entirely by two men... scared the crap out of me! My hands were shaking for the rest of the night, lol. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to the "real" horror movies, but the usual slasher stuff doesn't get to me. (Oddly enough, my boyfriend is a horror fanatic.)

I know there's quite a few people here in England... anybody else seen that show? Yeesh, those sound effects... And how do you guys feel about The Ring? I heard it was pretty well done, but haven't seen it myself.

Molly

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:01 AM

1: The third man was about an author guy who goes to post war Vienna, I think, only to find out that his friend had been run over by a car. He hears how three men picked up his friend and moved him over to the curb where supposedly the friend dies. But there are inconsistancies in the stories of some of the witnesses and finally the dead guy's cat tells the author what he needs to know inorder to unravel the mystery. That cat! 2: Claude Reins in Casa Blanca where he asks Bogart"So why did you come to casa Blanca Rick?" Bogart: "I came her for the Waters." Reines: "But there are no waters in Casa Blanca?" Bogart: "I was misinformed!" Bogart's travel agent scares me. 3: Charade: where this guy,(Cary Grant), pretends to be a private detective in order to help this girl find out where her missing husband is. He keeps getting caught in lies about his identity and keeps telling her more intricate lies about all these different investigative agencies he worked for - the more he lies the closer they get to the truth about the girls husband whom eventually discover is dead and continue to seach for the murderer. turns out that grant was the cop assigned to the case all along - and he gets the girl in the end. Now that's scarry. 4: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein: If the acting in that one doesn't scare you off monster movies nothing will. 5: Westworld: A gunslinger that never runs out of bullets? Peter Fonda was horrable in this one - bad scripting - that scared me.

FishNose ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:23 AM

When I was young - Hitchcock. Psycho, Birds etc. Scared me so much they put me off scary movies for life. Later in life, Alien 1 & 2. I don't see them as scary movies per se, rather as scifi. But scary as hell. :] Fish

c1rcle ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:28 AM

They showed the original Japanese versions of Ring & Ring2 a while back over here in the UK, they did send a little shiver down my spine, & they look much better than the new Americanised version :) I have copies of almost every Vampire film there is & quite a few Zombie films including a copy of The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue which always has me in fits of giggles. I love the Dusk till Dawn movies, but the first is my favourite of the 3, I hadn't seen any reviews about it when I first watched it so I didn't know what was going to happen & that bit when the Vamps first show themselves is a classic. Arachnaphobia made my skin crawl (I'm terrified of Spiders) I usually watch films sitting on the floor but 10 minutes into this one I was up on a chair with my feet up off the floor & any little shadow I saw made me jump. Doom, Thief1/2 & undying are the only games I've ever had to play with the lights on, they're the only ones to ever make me jump with fright.

voodoomessiah ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:35 AM

As a kid the first movie i remember scaring the living crap out of me was Jaws. I vividly remember waking from a nightmare that night and my bed felt like it was still bobbing in the ocean that was in my dream. The Blob, The Thing and Alien are distant contenders from jaws but they were creepy. As a horror fan, i enjoy (and by enjoy i mean i feel the need to shower after watching them) Hellraiser 1,2,3.

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:40 AM

c1rcle, back in the dos days there was a game based on jurassic park where at one point you got down and dirty with the raptors if you weren't careful and when the t-rex chases you you feel like you're really being chased - thank god I had them flares. Half life and counter strike were ok I didn't like how they ended, but better than doom for a thrill, decent was better than doom to me for that too. undying and thief I'll have to try.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 3:44 AM

Believe it or not, I have never been scared by a movie or TV show. Even as a kid, I knew they weren't real, so they never bothered me. Having said that, I think the outright best SF/Horror movie of all time is "Alien", and Giger's creature the absolute best every beastie. I don't much like the revamped versions used in the later ones, though. The original is still the best, IMO.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Roy G ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 5:31 AM

It! The Terror from Beyond Space The movie played on "Million Dollar Movie" every night for a week. I could never watch the whole thing, until finally Saturday there was a matinee. I was much braver during the daylight hours, and managed to watch it all the way through. It may be the movie that inspired Alien.

Scarab ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 6:05 AM

Two that have not been mentioned as yet, "The Day of the Triffids", the American version from the 1960s scared the piss out of me as a small child.. the original B&W version of "Night of the Living Dead". Scarab of the Living Popcorn

Spit ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 8:04 AM

The Wizard of Oz. That wicked witch of the East? South? I was carried screaming from the theatre. Was about 5 years old. Never forgotten that.

c1rcle ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 8:37 AM

I think you'll enjoy the Thief games more Bikermouse, they're more aimed at stealth than fighting, you really have to plan everything out, if you put a foot wrong then someone will come along to tap you firmly on the head :)

melanie ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 9:34 AM

I think I was a teenager when I saw an old movie on TV called Mr. Sardonicus, about this guy who robbed his father-in-law's grave to retrieve a winning lottery ticket that he had been buried with. When he opened the casket, the face of the dead man had stretched into a sardonic grin that scared him so badly his own face froze in that shape. It was the moment his wife turned on the light in a dark room and saw him that made me jump up to the ceiling and stick there! I've seen the film since then, and have to laugh because the makeup job was so bad it's almost comical, but that one little "shocker moment" just creeped me out. LOL Melanie

FlyByNight ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 10:28 AM

The Thing [Original] The Bodysnatchers [Original] Jaws Swimming in the ocean was never the same after that one. I no longer do it. If you could see what really was swimming in the water around you, you'd quit too. =o)

FlyByNight

OpticalSingenoid ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 11:21 AM

The first "WereWolf" movie, There was a Gypsy in it... I've always been fascinated by Wolves. Specially their Eyes! Wolves have this ablity to look their Prey in the eyes & read their soul... Ah! Arachnophobia! I Love Spiders! I had tarentulas & Black Widows as pets in my teens... Freaked my Mom. There is one movie that only "French" folks will know about. It's called "Aurore, l'enfant Martyre"(Translation: Aurore, the Beaten Child"). It's BW, based on a true story. And what scared me the most, was that my mom actually knew the real Aurore. So she actually comfirmed the validity of the movie & added a few xtras chivers... So, Moms that go bananas on their own children are very scary to me! We all have a "Dark Place" inside of us. We hide it well, even from ourselves. But, it's there! Ain't that there scariest thing? :-) Marco

queri ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 12:14 PM

Carnival of Souls is the scariest movie I ever saw-- the acting is terrible and it's so --just off-- that even that scares you like a nightmare you cant' wake up from. Very cheap movie, makeup the only special effects. About a woman who can't run away from the fact that she's really dead. Emily

Chailynne ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 1:33 PM

Omen The Birds Christine... I was babysitting late one night in a big old creaky house at the time and I had no idea what I was watching.

gulfmystery ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 2:45 PM

Years ago when I was about 11 I saw a film that gave me the total willy's about seaweed.....I went on a school trip to Wales just after seeing it and remember spending my entire vacation swimming in the sea wearing my white knee socks so my feet did not actually have to have skin contact with the weeds..Have no idea what film it was though haha

Crasher ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 5:05 PM

Children of the Damned, or Village of the Damned. Either one, I can't remember the exact name. But there were these children that had white skin and red eyes, from some toxic waste or some such. And they could start fires with their hands. When I was a child, I had nightmares about that. Oh, and Jack Nicholson from The Shining scared the piss out of me, too.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 7:51 PM

gulfmystery:

Would that happen to be Endless Descent?

cinnamon ( ) posted Sun, 16 March 2003 at 9:01 PM

The Exorcist for sure for me.

pigfish ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 1:05 AM

Hitchcock's "The Birds" is my earliest memory of movie terror. I still cringe when I have to walk by large flocks of noisy birds. Two other memorable scaries were "The Other" where the surviving twin took over the dead twin's identity (you weren't sure who was who till the end) and he carried around his dead brother's cut off finger. The other was an episode of Night Gallery or one of those where the assistant in a tailor's shop puts an enchanted gold suit on Hans, the mannikin with the cracked head, and he comes to life. I still see that cracked head in my nightmares some 20-30 years later. My big sister warned me where all the scary parts in Jaws were so it was years later before I actually saw them.

Scarab ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 5:57 AM

Speaking of "Night Gallery", do you remember the episode "The Big Surprise" with John Carradine?....best ending of anything I have ever seen, anywhere....blew my entire dorm floor off the couches and onto the floor. Scarab

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 9:11 AM

Along with the Exorcist and the Omen, "The Silence of the Lambs" bothered me for days!

JohnRender ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 9:42 AM

I guess I'll be the one to say it: Why is this post in the Poser Forum? 2 days and 78 posts and none of them mention anything about Poser. Even the title of this thread says it "OT"... meaning that it belongs in the "OT Forum".

kbennett ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 10:46 AM

Umm, waves hand Sorry 'bout that. The odd one or two sometimes slip by unnoticed... Kaboom! Kev.

Sasha_Maurice ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 10:53 AM

Apocalypse Now really scared the crap out of me.

davo ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 11:41 AM

Movies that "scared" me: As kid: Jaws, Alien and the first Poltergiest movie (that damn clown and the tree) As teenager: the first Nightmare on Elm Street and this one movie that I don't know the title of, it was a B movie and starred Martin Landou. It was about this alien creature, corny movie, but toward the end, Landou and the creature were in this warehouse and it was all dark and things popped out at you. As adult: Event Horizon and The Ring

JettBoy ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 12:09 PM

Anyone remember the old 60s or early 70s flick "The Legend of Hell House" with Roddy McDowell? Saw it with my mom and bro at a drive-in triple feature as a very young kid and it terrified me to the point of tears.

Recently rented the DVD of "The Ring". Not more than 5 minutes after the film ended our phone rang. My wife shrieked and tossed her glass of tea into the air. She wouldn't let me answer it, but a little while later I checked the voicemail only to discover it was my mother-in-law rather than a message regarding my imminant, horrific death (not that there is all that much difference).

Jcleaver ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 1:58 PM

Creature from the Black Lagoon was my scariest, as I saw it when I was young. Also, The Birds, first time I saw it there was a power outage right at the most intense scene and i never saw the ending. (For that matter, I still have never seen the ending). Also, must mention The Exorcist, although I'll agree the book is scarier by far.

Scarab ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 3:41 PM

In response to JohnRender.... ...we were all traumatized by horror movies as children and young adults....that's why we have all sought therapeautic refuge in Poser. Scarab

littlechris ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 3:57 PM

The scariest film I've ever seen is "Frenchmans Farm" its a crap film really but it scared the hell out of me, the scariest mosters in a movie for me were the wheelers out of "Return to Oz" pretty pathetic but I was only 5 or 6. A lot of you seem to like Stephen King movies but they're nothing compared with the books, I saw Rose Red the other day and really enjoyed it but I thought the movie version of It was rubbish (I saw it after reading the book

hmatienzo ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 5:33 PM

Dracula with Christopher Lee when I was a teen, Nightmare on Elm Street still scares me. So does the clown in "It". And let's have a show of hands... who stopped swimming at the beaches after Jaws except for me???

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

Rockatansky ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 5:47 PM

In no particular order,,,, Michael Myers from Halloween...that William Shatner mask, the heavy breathing , the way he stares at the victims after offing them, his sheer relentlessness...scary stuff indeed!!! Bruce the shark from Jaws....teeth,teeth and more teeth!! The Peter Cushing zombie from Tales from the Crypt (the 70's movie)...he pulls out hearts...'nuff said. Fluffy from Creepshow....lives in a crate and leaps out unexpectedly to tear off your face!!! The Birthday Zombie from Creepshow. Resides in the creepiest graveyard ever...removes heads...makes them into cakes! The gremlin on the wing in The Twilight Zone: The Movie....you know its going to be staring in the window...but it still makes you jump when you see it! Leatherface (Texas Chainsaw Massacre)...he's as twisted as hell and carries a chainsaw...what is there not to be afraid of? The Hound of the Baskervilles (Basil Rathbone version)...not sure if it was the dog or simply the eerie setting that scared me. Those foggy moors with boggy bits that you can disappear into. That vampire kid in Salem's Lot, who floats up to the window and scratches at the glass. This one is giving me the creeps just thinking about it! The Wicked Witches and the talking trees from The Wizard of Oz (not the flying monkeys though - I always kinda liked them). The meths drinkers in Theatre of Blood (they're the ones that help Vincent Price and Diana Rigg to exact revenge on the theatre critics). A weird bunch of crazies, one and all! Any hostile natives from Johnny Weismuller Tarzan films. They used to spear the luggage bearers who would let out blood curdling screams. I seem to remember one film where someone was tied between a couple of bent over trees, and when the ropes were cut they were torn in two. Fu Manchu...my god he used to scare the hell out of me. He'd behead his enemies or drown them in watertight chambers. Surprised no-one else has mentioned him.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 6:41 PM

"I checked the voicemail only to discover it was my mother-in-law rather than a message regarding my imminant, horrific death (not that there is all that much difference)." LMAO@JettBoy Recently,I saw a movie that was on really late that freaked me out a bit. It was about an Insane Asylum,where there were torturous operations and experiments being done on the patients. It inmates took over the asylum and it caught fire,but all the windows and doors were locked with some serious security lockdown mechanism. Everyone burned to death. Years later 6 or 7 people were invited to spend a night in the old hospital,and got a million dollars if they could.(not a very original plot there) Well,they didn't have much choice because the locking mechanism engaged and they were stuck there. Naturally(with all scary movies),these people would set out on their own to try to find a way out and would encounter disturbing scenarios,and eventually,death. The two survivors ultimately discover that all those invited were descendants of the original hospital staff that participated in the horrific experiments. I can't recall the name but Jackie says it was "House On Haunted Hill". Perhaps it was because it was late,but that movie kept me awake that night ,long after it was over. I think Insane people,and ghost/phantoms, scare me more than monsters do. Silence of the lambs did a great job of scaring me. Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 6:43 PM

Oh...and as a kid it was: Soilent Green Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

willowelf ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 9:48 PM

The Blob Gawd for YEARS I was scared to sleep. My heater vent was close to the ceiling just like in the movie and I was soooooooo scared.

Engine3429 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 10:28 PM

"It was about an Insane Asylum,where there were torturous operations and experiments being done on the patients." Haven't seen that but think part of it may have been filmed at the abandoned (now demolished) Essex Mountain Sanotarium (or something close to it). There are a few sites on the place that might have info. For me it'll go back to the initial post with the 70s movie 'Gargoyles'. Lived out in the country at the time and watched it at a friends house. Made an interesting walk home in the middle of the night after it was over. Like all of them, they now seem more funny than creepy.

cambert ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2003 at 7:21 AM

The flying monkeys (Wizard of Oz) and the floating vampire kid at the window (Salem's Lot) both gave me the creeps. When I was a kid, I used to hide behind the sofa during the credits of Doctor Who; the monsters didn't scare me but I couldn't cope with Jon Pertwee's face streaming towards me from the depths of space. The ones that really did it for me as a little kid - waking up screaming, the whole business - were the Blue Meanies from The Yellow Submarine. For me, they're still the very essence of that nightmare quality that chills the blood.

beleth ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2003 at 10:45 PM

speaking of creeping movies and F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, if you haven't seen it, check out Shadow of The Vampire. it adds a new level of creepy (that only Willem Dafoe could deliver) to Nosferatu. http://us.imdb.com/Details?0189998

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.