Fri, Sep 20, 5:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: NEEEEEEEEEEEEEWBIE Help!

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sat, 26 April 2003 at 4:14 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:44 AM

file_55988.jpg

I'm yet to render a thing in Carrara. I have an idea of what I want to make first, a helmet. But I can't figure out how to get started. I have the manual and I know of VTC, but I'm hoping I can get alot done without them. Most specifically Selections. Here we have a scene I just createed, dragged a sphere into, and moved the camera around in. The problem is I thought the selection tool was the one I have selected, but won't select a thing! How are vertices selected?

mmoir ( ) posted Sat, 26 April 2003 at 5:10 PM

Odiemanc, Your sphere was probably a primitive sphere so you cant really edit the vertices unless you convert the sphere primitive to a mesh. You do this in the "model room"(double click sphere to enter model room). Under the "edit" menue select "convert to other modeller" ,then select vertex modeller, then "Okay". You should now see all the vertices of the sphere. Try inserting a vertex object instead and then "insert" a sphere. Good luck. Mike

keithw ( ) posted Sat, 26 April 2003 at 5:14 PM

To select vertexes you have to be in the Model Room. If the sphere in your scene is a primative it will have to be converted to a vertex model before it will appear in the vertex modeler. The "Convert to Other Modeler" function is in the Edit menu in the Model Room. I suggest that you read Chapters 3 & 4 of the manual to get you started with Carrara.

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sat, 26 April 2003 at 11:06 PM

Alrighty here, now we're getting somwhere! Like I said I have the manual, but this approach to learning is much much more straight forward. How are multiple vertexs selected? I tried holding down the SHift Key, but that didn't work.

neoklassik ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 12:16 AM

"Like I said I have the manual, but this approach to learning is much much more straight forward." ROFL!! and here I got caught chiding people who say RTFM so much they never answer a question over in the LW forum. Odie, it may be easier for you but it's considered rude not to at lease SKIM the chapter in question before going into a forum. That's a sure way to get fried. And on some forums they sniff that as not HAVING a manual which means warez which really get people hot. Hopefully 'nuff said.

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 1:05 AM

K?

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 1:06 AM

Forums are great because they are effective: 1.) p2p. 2.) A little at a time. 3.) For specific examples. This is really simple stuff we talking here! You don't expect someone working on a 2hr. Hollywood Feature to answer you r first few posts! This is for people roughly at my experience level, that can give a simple straight forward response! Your flaming my learnard intentions was pretty lame! It was stupid of you to ignore that I mentioned having the manual for a reason, then to drag warez in here was even dummer! Your tough luck in the Lightwave Forum is your own problem, I don't want to hear about it! Maybe for it you should take the advice of those who say "If you havn't got anything good to say don't say anything at all!"

neoklassik ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 1:26 AM

Actually I was very polite... By the way: Manuals are great because they are effective: 1.) 1 on 1 just you and the manual 2.) A little at a time or a lot.. go nuts! 3.) For specific examples. 4.)You don't have to wait for an answer! "This is really simple stuff we talking here! You don't expect someone working on a 2hr. Hollywood Feature to answer you r first few posts"- I don't expect anything from you. "This is for people roughly at my experience level, that can give a simple straight forward response!"- Actually these forums are for all experience levels. "It was stupid of you to ignore that I mentioned having the manual for a reason"- I saw you mentioned it twice and said you were avoiding using it. Your "reason" is your own. I can "say" I own the Brooklyn bridge. Does it mean I do?

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 2:12 AM

A manual just isn't as good as a community, stop dismissing this idea, dude!

neoklassik ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 10:50 AM

"A manual just isn't as good as a community"- When did I ever say it wasn't???? I help people out in forums all over the web on a daily basis. I believe in the community. My point is that forums should be a supplement to the manual, not a replacement for one. Obviously you have a reading comprehension problem otherwise you would have understood this from my very first post.

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 12:11 PM

You say "When did I ever say it wasn't" then "My point is that forums should be a supplement to the manual, not a replacement for one." and turn around to insult me? You aren't offering answers, stop wasting our time and space!

dothrom ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 9:02 PM

odie, you know, you started the flaming. neok' has a point about actually using the manual, you come here when the manual doesn't explain you're problem. and/or if you're looking for tips. chill out. -dthrm

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 10:34 PM

Flaming comes when you stop offering advice. What else do you need me to say? Put up or shut up! = )

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 10:40 PM

/me thinks...watch somebody come in her an actually lock this thread after what I just said. = | > }

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 10:43 PM

What a pissant thread! >8P

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 10:46 PM

= : ^ O )

Odiemanc ( ) posted Sun, 27 April 2003 at 10:55 PM

...wimper

Spike ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 9:56 AM

WARNING!!!!!! Play nice

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.