Wed, Sep 25, 5:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Props do not find their right places

Pauli ( ) posted Sun, 11 May 2003 at 7:02 AM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 5:08 PM

Hi, there, perhaps this is an extra old question for hints: (I use POSER 4.0.3.127 (German updated version)) I have prepared an item (a ship) consisting of several props and placed them at the proper position. Then I saved them to the prop depot as smart props. In my POSER everything goes ok. Now I published this item and got the feedback, that the props do not properly position themselves in english version 4.03. Instead they are to be found at the position where the original obj.-file came in when imported the first time. But - the trans x,y,z values were those, when the prop would be at its correct position. Now, can you give me an idea, what happens, and what I can do to solve that problem or what can I tell those people who are in worries about the not properly working props? Any hint would be much appreciated, thank for help in advance Pauli

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2003 at 6:08 AM

What are your props smart proped to? Without knowing this it's hard to give any advice. Smart proping only works when the parent object already exists in the document before the smart prop is loaded. The line of code in the pp2 that controles it looks something like this, when a prop is the parented to another prop; smartparent box_2 or this when a body part is the parent; smartparent rHand:2 In the first case if 3 box props are loaded into the doc, the smart prop will always parent to the one called box_2. In the second case, if a number of figures are loaded, the smart prop will always be parented to the rHand of the figure that is selected at the time the smart prop is loaded. This is irespective of the figure number (:2). I can't think why a different language version of Poser should cause a problem, unless the parent object somehow gets a different name in different versions. Tell us what object you are trying to smart prop to. That may hellp clarify the situation.

Pauli ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2003 at 12:03 PM

Hi, lesbentley, thanks for that information! I have a ships hull, named "craweel-hull 1". To this prop other props are parented like rigg: "craweel-rigg 1" or "craweel-ancor_up 1". Other props are parented to the rigg-prop,like sails: "craweel-sail-1 1" and "craweel-sail-2 1". Everything works fine in my POSER, the props now find their positions immediately. I remember, when I developped the ship, and loaded obj-files the first time, the smart-prop did not work properly after having been smart-saved for the first time. So I loaded them, brought them to right position and smart-saved them a second time. From that moment everything went well. But that is something that doesn't occur regularly. I also cannot imagine, that the language is the problem, but can think, that one update has been developed further than the other and could have lost compatiblity, but thats of course speculative. Can I load up here images without having an own website, I would show you a screenshot from my ship, and how it did load in other versions? Thanks Pauli

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2003 at 3:53 PM

You can upload images (or txt files) directly from your HDD, via the "Attach File:" box. I still can't think what might be causing your problem, I don't think an update would change somthing as fundimental as this.

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2003 at 4:40 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=841307

This is probably be nothing to do with your problem, but I thought I would pass it on just in case.

Pauli ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2003 at 5:28 PM

file_57919.jpg

Here are the images: Image 1 shows, how it should be ( and how it happens on my computer). Image 2 shows what happens to others (rigg,with upper hull, sails end up at unexpected positions). BTW It could be easily come from that "notation"-problem. That seems to create a lot of nonsens. When I had Bryce 3D I could not import obj.-files until I changed to english notation. Thanks for viewing and dealing with my problem. Pauli

Pauli ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2003 at 5:31 PM

file_57921.jpg

Here is the other image:

daveH ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2003 at 12:01 AM

only characters may act as a smart parent to a prop. you cannot make a prop a parent to a smart prop. is your ship a character (cr2) or a prop (pp2)?

Pauli ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2003 at 5:19 AM

The hull,which is the parent, is a pp2, not a cr2. I am somewhat confused now, because in my POSER it seems to be possible that a prop (the hull) is a smart parent. What's your definition of "smart prop" ? I expect from a smart prop, that it finds the same position in relation to the parent (prop), no matter where the parent is, and what orientation it has. This works well in my POSER. Although it sometimes would be fine if it also goes with the scale of the parent, this not always works. But sometimes it does. In the image 2 you can see, that sails and flags have their position ok relativly to each other, but strange in relation to rigg, or hull. Thanks for reply Pauli

daveH ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2003 at 5:58 AM

a smart prop is locked to the parent such that moving the figure (or the specific part of the figure the prop is parented to) will move the prop with it. as mentioned above, the parent figure has to be loaded into the scene before the prop. if you're not sure whether your prop is correctly locked to the parent figure, move the figure. if the prop is left behind, it's not "smart". this can be confusing when the prop appears to load in the proper position. but only a smart prop will both load properly and lock to the parent. the only way to be sure is to move the parent.

Pauli ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2003 at 8:03 AM

Absolutely correct! My original model act exactly like this: Properly position, where ever the parent is, and following every movement. The same file did behave strangely in other users POSER. I don't know, whether they are "disconnected", but at least they find a unexpected position, and I don't have an idea why that happens, and whether I could do something to avoid this. Thanks for reply Pauli

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 12:23 AM

In Poser 4.0.3 a prop CAN be smart proped to another prop, I have done it many times. Smart proping (also known as "smart parenting") works the same way for props and figures.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.