Sat, Oct 5, 4:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: How about a modelling gallery?

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 5:32 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 4:16 AM

There are plenty of people using modelling apps that don't have forums here, plus the Wings forum, modelling forum and character creators forums none of which have a gallery. A place to showcase meshes (I'm not talking about rendered scenes here) would be great and very important to all the modellers here. Yes you can show your meshes in the forums but threads soon get buried and only a few interested people ever get to see them. - Baz

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 7:27 AM

That seems like a good idea to me, and I'm not a modeler. There are a lot of modelers not represented in the software specific galleries. Having a place for them to show off their skills seems well worth looking into.

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 7:30 AM

i'd love that. i love to see what everyone is making...but, with all the galleries, and all the forums, i don't have time to look at everything. and, i know i miss stuff that i could learn from by viewing. wonderful idea!

BillyM67 ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 8:12 AM

Sounds good. Like I said over on the Maya Forum, lets strip it down to the basics, so the final renders are appreciated even more!

morganah ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 8:23 AM

Great idea! I hope it gets implemented. I've wanted a place to post meshes in the past, and when you put meshes in the other galleries, no one looks at them because they are there to see finished pieces. Also, textured and postworked renders can hide flaws in a mesh. This is a way to display your true geometry and get feedback on it.

almck1@hotmail.com ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 9:40 AM

Great idea though I havent made any models yet I'dlove to see what other people are doing. Alex

wulfgar ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 9:47 AM

definitly a fine idea. always good for those of us learning to see the masters meshes.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 10:06 AM

count me in..it would be a place for Wings, Amapi, maybe sort of a 'how to' about it..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Spearhead ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 10:52 AM

good idea

Cybermonk ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 11:21 AM

Great idea!!! :)

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

bijouchat ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 1:12 PM

great idea!!

Ms_Outlaw ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 1:28 PM

Gets my vote.

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 1:54 PM

Thanks for the support everyone, let's hope it happens!

Mist_Hunter01 ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 2:07 PM

Sounds like a fantastic idea. I would like a place to show off my XSI models and since Renderosity doesn't have an XSI forum, I can't do so right now. It's got my vote. -Kris

Axe_Gaijin ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 2:37 PM

Yup. Good idea.

keithw ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 5:26 PM

Good idea. I'm for a modeling gallery

songkann ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 5:56 PM

Excellent idea. I'd be a great opportunity to have a look on the making of a render.

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 6:44 PM

i sure wish a mod/admin would give a comment, here. there is a fractal gallery, and, a photography gallery. so, please, would one of the ptb's at least acknowledge that this is a viable option? it would even be good for the renderosity economy. for some, it would be a pre-pre- product showcase, shown in the rough, for those of us who wish to learn.

Flycatcher ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 6:44 PM

Sounds like another great learning resource to me.

fingers ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 7:19 PM

I would really love this too !!! I like making the meshes more than making images, and usually end up just giving them away after making only one image with them. Maybe it will happen :O) Gets my vote too... Mikey

ShadowWind ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 2:58 AM

I also think this is a good idea...Cheers...

zebuwin ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:53 AM

Very great idea!!!

cartesius ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 6:46 AM

Yup, good idea!

Gallery | Store | dogday-design.se

joffry ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 4:34 PM

I'm going to add my me too...

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:14 PM

...erm... everyone? there's already a catagory under the Gallery's system for Modeling.. use the pulldowns Luke...

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:29 PM

There is one for genre, but modeling isn't really a genre unless photography and 2D are (and they are listed as topics, not genres). I think this is a request to put allow those who do modeling with programs other than Rhino or Truespace or the like some place aside from "other apps" to tag their works. That would enable the combination of "modeling plus science fiction," for example, instead of limiting it to "other apps plus modeling," which seems less descriptive.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:34 PM

aah so we add yet another catagory to complicate things already overloaded with pointless descriptions? then I vote a resounding NO. we already have what.. 30 different catagories? they need to cut them down, not add more! no no no no no no no

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:38 PM

No, the idea is to move modeling from a genre to a topic, which is where it belongs. The combination of photograph plus modeling makes little sense. The combination of modeling plus architecture makes perfect sense. It's not adding a category...it is appropriately moving a category to a more logical place.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:39 PM

that still adds another catagory. thats the whole point of my objection. we have to many in both columns already. we need to cut them down and streamline not add yet more..

Cybermonk ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:45 PM

Yup, You are right Kaibach. There is an option under the genere pulldown. I did a tour through the modelling genre. Whats weird is a lot of peolpes concept of what is modelling. They buy vicky and all her stuff twist her a bit and consider themselves modlers. To me a picture in a modelling gallery should be..... well modeled (not posed). It should also include a wire frame and/or a flat shaded render. A textured render is cool as an additional. Not that anyone died and made me King of the galleries. :) Its just that shouldn't a modeling gallery focus on things that high light and instruct us in modelling. Just my 2 cents

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:51 PM

Shrug. I figured it was too good to be true that we'd get consensus out of this group. You certainly have a right to your opinion. I have a right to respectfully disagree. It is remotely possible by moving modeling to a topic (instead of continuing it as a genre) that there would be more appropriate postings. Don't we all know that no system will be 100% no matter what is tried? Oh well. Walking off the thread.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:54 PM

? why get huffy about it?

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 6:39 PM

for a change, i am siding with dialyn....so she needs to walk back to this thread and be heard. yeah, right....we have a bunch of wonderful genres we can cruise through like fractals and horror, or poser and abstract...mix 'm match 'm ....you get a bunch of stupid subcategories with which to cull the main categorie...which would be....poser and abstract, in this case, or fractals and horror. this does me a ton of good if i am looking for a frightening fractal, or a vicki head exploded into bright pieces and strew creatively about the temple. it does me no good if i am looking to see what the other modellers....who i think are the REAL backbone of this community, are working on. if i want to see models....i have to select the "all galleries" option, and wade through all the fractals, photos of fido, and 2d cutesie tube type stuff. and, yeah, i agree that there are too many categories....i bet you i will never look for fractals and history, realism, or romance. what is wrong with the galleries...one of the things...is that they were set up to be "program" oriented. well, guess what....fractals is not one program, nor, is photography. modelling is the backbone of the whole 3d community....and this community has no MODELLING gallery....how cool is that?...not very. and, last night, i requested that the forum mod chip in some thoughts.....no chippin' in i see. which brings about a question visited long ago, in other forums....who is this tuotone? something quite strange, here, i fear. kalbach....adding a quality forum, and getting rid of some of the silly genres would be a GOOD thing....honest. pop...pop...Poppi!!!

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 6:41 PM

oh, and, dialyn....if you really think your opponent may not know the difference between a topic and a genre...as, could be the case, here....why hasten away? sit down, and try to explain the difference.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 11:48 PM

'kalbach....adding a quality forum, and getting rid of some of the silly genres would be a GOOD thing....honest' but it's already there!!!! use the pull down. see? it's there!!!! and yes I do know the difference. please do not think I am stupid or a moron. just that the system we have is illogial and moronic. how soon till we have 'house mouse' and 'in the bath with vicky'?

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 11:50 PM

and btw.. I am not an 'opponent' all I did was point out that the requested function was already there. if you want a bad guy, SOD OFF I'm not it.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 11:58 PM

just checked the pulldowns. and here is the Answer on pull down 1: Work in Progress (since that is what we are discussing here) on pull down 2: Modelling. there we go. function there and complete.

BazC ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 3:02 AM

You're right up to a point Kaibach, that's the appropriate place to put models that you're working on, and to be honest I hadn't noticed it was there! I doubt that I'm the only one though since there are just 17 images posted going back to sep 02! The point is that it's buried under 1000's of Poser WIP's and who's ever going to look at it? I agree about the system being bloated and over complicated but that's not an argument against a gallery which is central to most peoples work here. I reckon we could lose the second pulldown entirely and lose a few from the first. There are a number of forums that are hardly used here but still have their own galleries! Lastly WIP isn't what I'm suggesting here, I'm talking about R'osity recognising modelling as an artform in it's own right, a place to show wires and flatshaded screenshots, a place where modellers from all applications can come together and see what everyone else is doing, just like the modellers and character creators forums. - Baz 17

BazC ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 3:04 AM

Besides, what's the big deal about moving it from the second pull down to the first?

BazC ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 4:28 AM

Just swap modelling and WIP round so that Modelling is in the first drop down menu and WIP is in the second. No more complicated to browse, no more server space and everyone is happy! Shouldn't mean much work either. Thanks Kaibach, I wouldn't have thought of it without your comments :o) WIP is a weird as a primary category anyway IMHO. Admins, Mods ?

Sue88 ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 8:18 AM

When I first read the suggestion, I had the same thought as Kaibach: There is already a Modeling category. Then I went and looked at it and I was quite surprised to see all kinds of pictures there, which - in my mind - had nothing to do with modeling. Now, after reading this thread, I find that I agree with dialyn and the others: It would be a good idea to change things a bit and have Modeling as a topic, not a genre. I also agree that there are too many categories in the galleries. I think one of the problems with that is that you can only choose one topic and one genre. I think it would be much more useful if you could choose several options at the same time. The way it is now, I either choose All for both, or choose one topic and choose All. Otherwise I might miss some pictures that I would be interested in. This way, though, I am forced to wade through a huge amount of pictures I am not interested in. I have a limited time to browse the galleries, and that limited time would be much better spent if I could enable all the categories that interest me, but screen out the ones that don't. Back to a modeling gallery: now I think that it would be interesting to see modelers' meshes. I think we could all learn from that.

Spanki ( ) posted Sat, 05 July 2003 at 5:35 AM

Uhm, just a point on perspective... if you're a photagrapher at Vogue magazine, and you ask someone if they ever do any modeling, would you find it strange if they answered "Yeah, I use 3DS Max sometimes and am now learning Maya" ? ;) So yes, 'modeling' means different things to different people. Having said my peace on that, I agree with BazC - switching Modeling -> WIP sounds like a great solution, and gets my vote.. I'd even go so far as to rename it to 'Wireframes' instead of Modeling to clear up any confusion. - Keith

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.