Sat, Sep 21, 7:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: "How can I use the camera's "hither?" ... a mini-tut ...

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 1:45 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 7:22 AM

file_69145.gif

This post is in response to a question that was asked by compiler in Dr. Geep's "Camera" primer. (currently in progress) Presented here is Dr. Geep's (feeble) attempt to illuminate the subject. cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 1:50 PM

file_69146.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 1:51 PM

file_69147.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 1:52 PM

file_69148.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

spurlock5 ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 2:03 PM

Since we can animate camera settings and moves, we should be able to have the face suddenly appear on a skeleton.

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 2:35 PM

Excellent observation!

spurlock5 is absolutely right!

The "hither" parameter can be animated just like the other camera parameters - provided that the "Animation Lock" is OFF.

Let your imagination run wild.

What can YOU think of? Huh?

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 2:37 PM

file_69149.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 2:43 PM

That's kind of spooky. Am I the only one who never noticed there was a hither on the cameras??? Cool.

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 2:58 PM

file_69150.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 2:58 PM

file_69151.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 2:59 PM

file_69152.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 3:00 PM

file_69153.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 3:01 PM

file_69154.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 3:01 PM

file_69155.gif

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 3:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?&Form.ShowMessage=1180006

Just click the "link" to get back to Dr Geep's "Camera" tutorial. cheers, dr geep ;=] P.S. Oh, and BTW ... As usual ... All ... questions, comments, observations, flames, etc., etc. are welcome.

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Spit ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 3:26 PM

file_69156.gif

See how her arm sorta disappears in fog? This happened accidentally in Poser and I haven't a clue what I did that caused the fog. I thought maybe it was 'hither' but I guess not. If I moved her farther back she got totally murky in the haze. Poser 4/ProPack. I did this a while back and can't find the .pz3 :( Oh, it is softened a bit in post, but the fog was already there.

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 3:36 PM

I don't know how you did it, but it's a neat effect, and charming figure.

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 3:43 PM

file_69157.gif

Does this answer your question? cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Spit ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 4:12 PM

Oh my, doh. Never tried that. Must have hit that accidentally. THANKS! Sheesh, been using Poser since version 2 and I didn't know about that. LOL Oh, thanks Dialyn!

kayjay97 ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 4:12 PM

Excellent!! I never even knew what hither was!

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 4:14 PM

file_69158.gif

You can think of "hither" as a method that allows you to "look through" anything in the studio in slices - just like an MRI does. cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 5:25 PM

That's a pretty good MRI machine for just 3 quick primitives! :) The hardest part is holding absolutely still, when the only thing inside the brain is a desire to scratch the nose! Carolly

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 5:27 PM

Dr. Geep is giving Miss Posey a come hither look, methinks. Walking away, whistling.

compiler ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 5:48 PM

Thanks an zillion times Dr Geep. I will have another dial to play with ! And a mini tut for me : I'm honoured ! (yes, I know : being honoured for my ignorance... But hey, this is a DR GEEP mini tut !). (PS : your tube looks more like a scanner : MRI machinery leaves much less room for the patient : Dr Geep couldn't go inside together with Miss Posey ! Back in my hospital days, we used to call it "the pizza oven" ! )

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 6:16 PM

You're welcome a zillion times compiler.

Yup, I know the MRI leaves less room (been there, done that), but then you wouldn't have been able to see Dr Geep's beautiful face, no? ;=]

Ignorance?

Maybe this bears repeating, again.
(is that repetatively redundant?)

"We're all ignorant, 'cept on different subjects."

• Will Rogers

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 7:28 PM

Thanks, good doctor! You know, I always wondered why the dials in Poser were giving me those "come hither" looks. Now I know. Thanks again. :-)

mondoxjake ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 9:12 PM

Most of this I am filing for 'future ref'...but really excited to find out how to control the sensitivity of the dials. Is it in the manual? [I tried reading that once and got so confused I didn't touch Poser for a month!] Thanks for the tips and tut.

lelionx ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 10:23 PM

glad to see you back in form geep.you're too much ;)

geep ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 10:35 PM

Thanks le. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 29 July 2003 at 10:47 PM

If you set the Hither dial to a minus value it becomes Thither ;)

Cyhiraeth ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 1:53 AM

Here's a question....in what type of circumstance might one need or want to use Hither? Thanks,

FireHorse ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 2:56 AM

I've noticed there was a hither before but I've never known what it was for! Thanks for the mini-tut Dr. Geep :-)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 3:37 AM

Cyhiraeth, You can use it to get inside walls of rooms if there isn't enought space to manipulate the camera. It is also handy for getting in close to pose without stuff getting in the way. Sometimes you want to make things invisible, but often you don't. Say that you were positioning fingers on a violin... if you make the violin invisible, you can't place the fingers. Using hither, you can press the proper strings for an A. Hmm... a violin isn't bulky enough, make that a nice curving pipe organ! Carolly

geep ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 7:37 AM

Good observation Carolly. Ah, I can hear the wheels turning. It warms the cockles of ol' Doc Geep's heart. (... and nobody likes cold cockles, do they?) cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 7:55 AM

You know, ....... open mouth, insert foot.

Well, gang, Doc's old "friend(?)," Poser's Scale, has once again reared it's ugly head and I'm afraid that Doc Geep "went for the bait."

One of the other threads in this forum made an inquiry about Poser's scale and Doc tried to contribute some of the information that he has accumulated on the subject.

But ...

The following excerpt is from part of a post in another thread in this forum.

"However, in the matter of Poser Scale Units for Poser 4 AND for Poser 5, Dr. Geep is just wrong, Wrong, WRONG. He uses circular logic and mathematical mumbo-jumbo to obfuscate the issue, and he seems unwilling to consider even VALID proof which contradicts his pet theory. Furthermore, he claims that CL has somehow verified his theory, but my sources at both Cl and Egisys have verified that the scale in Poser has NOT changed since the introduction of Poser3 and has remained consistent in Poser4 and Poser5!. (although there is a bug in the P5 scale-translation process which I will describe below). The FACT is that the definition of one Poser Unit is no different in P5 than in P4."

This type of statement is what causes Doc to "lose his spark."
(and ... he ran out of mud)

Sorry, I felt the need to vent.

(end of rant)

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Pinto ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 9:41 AM

bm

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 10:15 AM

Dr. Geep, don't let the sore heads get to you. If they want to take your good advice, better for them. If they don't, it's their loss. Consider the source and don't take it to heart. Those of us who value your advice outnumber those who don't. Take care.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 10:15 AM

"Her ghost cried, 'Cockles and Mussels, hi-lay-ha-lie-low!'" but the song doesn't mention if she served them steamed. BTW, that same person posted over in PoserPros that I was brilliant, but totally tactless and antisocial... which made him wrong on all three counts. November will be three constant years of this migraine (I'm operating on half a brain, which is why I had the MRI... which shows the beginnings of dementia... I've lost a chunk of my vocabulary). The brain still spins, but it doesn't sparkle. As for being tactless, I can use words as weapons, but I don't do it accidentally. Antisocial? Well who had the Poser party, opening her house to total strangers? So, as far as I'm concerned, he "is just wrong, Wrong, WRONG!" So I can ignore him. In the grand scheme of things does it matter if the Poser scale relates to Max's scale, etc? Or is it more important to have internal consistency in your choice of program? Unless one is creating a character from real life, where the absolute size is well known and could matter, who really cares if Vicky is 5'7" or a smidgen more? She doesn't have real woman proportions anyway! If you are building props, you need them to be close, but real world chair sizes vary, so why get freaked out over half an inch in the virtual world? Not: I have made die drawings for custom aluminum extrusions (sloped glazing) and for vending machine parts (6 years combined experience as a design drafter). Those tolerances are precise, and need to be. If Vicky is 8 heads high, a ten-thousands of an inch tolerance in measuring her height is missing the target. Carolly

geep ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 11:17 AM

Thank you di.

• and -

Thank you Carolly - I needed that.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

P.S. Poser party????????????
Where?
When?
Why? (wasn't I invited?) ;=[

Nevermind, I think I already know the answer to that last one. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

ronstuff ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 6:07 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1352228

Anybody interested in what the FULL CONTEXT of my statement was can go here and read it for themselves. I won't be deleting it, but will stand by everything said. I'm genuinely sorry that some people insist on taking such matters personally when they are not meant (or expressed)that way.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 6:41 PM

ronstuff said:
"I'm genuinely sorry that some people insist on taking such matters personally when they are not meant (or expressed)that way."

The following statement appears to be expressed to a "person", i.e., Dr Geep.

"... Dr. Geep is just wrong, Wrong, WRONG."

AND ...

I DO take that statement personally.
Can it be viewed any other way?

no cheers,
dr geep
;=[

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 9:32 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=936284

ronstuff,

May I respectfully suggest that you read the text in the very first post in the thread at the attached link.

Here is the specific lines of text to which I refer.
(It is taken out of context, I might note.) ;=]

********** excerpt ***********

First, let me say that I know that this (i.e., scale) can be a ...**
controversial subject**
... but I'm going to try and tackle it anyway. ;=]

There are many opinions (standards?) out there in "Poserland" about the "Real World Scale" in Poser.

But, please keep this in mind ... My opinion (i.e., standard) is just one of them.

I would like to share this standard with you because I have found a system that appears to work very well inside Poser.

******** end of excerpt ********

you said:
"But THAT is NOT the case because you have presented an issue in the form of a TUTORIAL which purports to be factual, and THAT is where I must take exception and hold you accountable - NOT to your personal views, but for your presentation of FACTS."

Repeating, again ...

"But, please keep this in mind ... My opinion (i.e., standard) is just one of them."

Can you read this? .... "My opinion ..."
"My OPINION ..."

My opinion is NOT fact.

It is MY opinion, and that is all it is.

But then I don't expect that you will see the point here either. no sigh
(ain't cut 'n paste great ;=] )

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 12:05 AM

I'd be very happy to address the issues. What are they? ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 1:12 AM

He quit. I win. YAY! ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 1:31 AM

runstuff, I was quoting from memory. You weren't teasing; you were attacking, in an arena where you could get away with it. 🤷 Maybe you think that if you drive off all other sources of knowledge or experience, people will sit at your feet to lap up your precise and absolutely clear prose? Why should they pry off your bitter belittlements of others to find what may or may not be a nugget of truth? There are wells in San Jose where the water tastes of sulphur. It is nutricious and perfectly safe and necessary for life... but it stinks. The same thing can be said of your attitude. You may present facts necessary for the advancement of knowledge, but the presentation suffers from malodorousness and contentiousness. There are many wells here; we don't need to contend with your stench. Carolly

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 7:03 AM

Good Work Geep! Thanks! ... and yeah! what hauksdottir said!

ronstuff ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 6:13 PM

Great work on hither, agreed and thanks! I didn't quit, I got CENSORED by someone who apparently has no regard for truth and THAT is a FACT. Sorry to burst your bubble. I think most of your work is fantastic, Geep, and have said so on several occasions. And I agree that we should not let one littel point stand in the way of progress.

Cyhiraeth ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 7:14 PM

Only the government can "CENSOR". If the moderators put the kabash on one of your posts, then they are exercising their rights as per the TOS of this website to do so. Not trying to start a row, just wanted to set it straight -so many people cry "censor" without knowing the actual definition.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.