Fri, Sep 20, 1:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: P6 Wishlist

Odiemance ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 2:25 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:32 AM
  1. UI Dots should be a Library category - It'd be nice to have a thumbnail to remind us of what each preset is. 2. Runtime needs to release editing access to Windows Explorer - When organizing Library Archives it is a pain to close the application for this.

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 3:12 PM

Ability to select multiple objects. I've never known another 3D app without this feature.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 3:13 PM

And add to that, the ability to copy/paste or duplicate figures and props, as well.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Jackson ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 4:35 PM

You can reorganize your runtime structure while in Poser, I do it all the time. I don't believe you can delete or rename individual files though.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 4:50 PM

I add and delete files/folders from within Windows Explorer all the time, while Poser is still running. I have to refresh the Library panel in order to see the changes, however.

gtrdon ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 5:18 PM

A pop up document window that will list properties of the file and allow you to type in notes about your work in progress and information about where various sources that you are using in your work file came from. Maybe a way to embed this info in the models themselves.

Mason ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 5:55 PM

Make Art button.

Niles ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 6:19 PM

Free... as in no cost to Poser5 users.

Lawndart ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 6:21 PM

Niles: A free beta?

Lawndart ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 6:22 PM

C'mon.... Lets get it started in this thread too. C'mon... you can do it.

Lawndart ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 6:22 PM

;)

Niles ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 6:32 PM

Free would be nice... but i'll go with cheap to upgade. ;)

Spit ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 6:39 PM

Sometimes Poser puts a lock on directories and you can't use Explorer to rename things then. All I want for Poser 6 is for them to CLEAN IT UP. After all these years it's still so rough around the edges. File dialogs are old and why should I hunt for a Python script in the last directory I saved an image to? The two little button strips that are always in the wrong places should be a drop down in a TOOLBAR instead of taking space on the screen. The same with the menus of Figures and parts that under the document window. Make them dropdowns in a standard-under-the-menu toolbar. Fix all focus and refresh problems. The python scripts for compressing or decompressing files don't even let you hunt down a directory. You have to type it in by hand. Can't even paste for pity's sake. Make the color dialog custom entries persistent between sessions. You know, stuff like that. I don't want any new FEATURES. Yuck.

nyguy ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 7:02 PM

If there is an upgrade to a Poser 6 I would like to have the plug ins for MAX for free.... I think it is bullsh*t that we have to wait for a 3rd part app like bodystudio 2 that cost more than my car to use this feature. I like PP4 but when I bought 5 my understanding it was going to have this function built in but I guess I was wrong. I would also like to see a better cloth room and setup room. Cloth room should be able to make "true" clothing not dynamic obj which takes forever to use and the set up room should have a "snap to" option for the bones... Example I havew an obj called car I have serveral groups 1 is called left door I created a bone called left door and place it on the left door it should snap too that group and not half of the group called car frame. AND ANOTHER THANG! FIX THAT FRIGGIN WALK DESIGNER! I haven't been able to use it since I installed the software! nuff raving for now

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

brandonc ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 7:30 PM

I dont need any new features really like the cloth rooms ect... but id like to see a big speed increase in rendering times ect.. and the cut and paste fuctions abitlity to rename figures props ect.. and the ability to add my own crap to the library menu

dan whiteside ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 7:48 PM

Better geometry handlers. Auto-smooth optional on prop imports - so they can use the normals from the import. The abilty to set Poser's normals smoothing angle - by object. Hardware accelarated OpenGL previews. Keep Sree3D for folks with 5 year old video cards ;-) A version of Python that works right on the Mac. And to second Karen - selection of multiple objects. Best; Dan

MachineClaw ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 7:51 PM

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!!! err sorry, didn't mean to scream. Full indepth with examples of each and every funtion. I don't care if the manual is a 1000 page tomb but figuring out things in Poser 5 is very frustrating. While the Poser 5 documentation is nice, it has lots of errors, things that were changed at the last minute or not covered at all. Poser 6 should have really indepth indexed documentation. If it's too much to print it due to production then make it a PDF but don't skimp on the documentation. I'll print chapters as I need them at Kinko's if need be but the info has to be there to use. OpenGL. Kill off Content Paradise, or make it an option, free up those resources. nice for newbies but once you've figured out where the 'stores' are CP is kinda useless. Figure out how to get over the 250 file limit, pose directories are filled up around the globe. I know multiple Runtimes helps this issue, but still. and of course, fix everything that is currently buggy or broken.

Chas ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 7:58 PM

You know, I remember the P5 wishlist postings, and how everybody (myself included) was anxiously adding things like ray-tracing, collision detection, moving cloth, real hair, etc. etc. And the folks at CL obviously did their damnedest to start on as many of these things as they could before egiSYS pushed them to release the prog. Me, I'd just like to see them take these things to the potential that they would have if they'd had the time and support to. That, and better lighting / volumetrics. :D Alright, so I couldn't resist after all. So sue me. :P Take care; Chas

Norbert ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 8:07 PM

If they just made Poser 5 finally work as originally advertised, and renamed it to 'Poser 6', would you pay $99 - $150 for the "upgrade"?? Cummon now... Betcha would... Suckers.

Chas ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 8:20 PM

Actually, I'm still on P4, as are a lot of folks still in these forums. And I've looked seriously at P5, but I'm still not satisfied that I can chance the money on a prog which may be unstable on my system. Nor am I going to run for DAZ|Studio as though it's going to be a solution to everything. I suspect that a lot of us try to make our software buys carefully, because few of us really have all that much disposable income. But a P5 which delivered on all counts would definitely be worth it. Tell me I'm wrong.

hmatienzo ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 8:37 PM

I just don't want it to crash whenever I load a damn light. And I don't want to wait 30 minutes for the proggie to load, either...

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 9:40 PM

I want a new library category called MATPOSE. Instead of having all my matsposes in the pose library (which is just hugely unmanegable now even with pbooost), I'd like the ability to create new libraries and name them and populate them. Bryce, for example, will let you set up user libraries (though there is a great inconvenience to how they executed it). So, can we get the libraries to allow us to add a folder to the runtime/libraries section and have that new folder viewable in Poser? thanks.

pdxjims ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 10:32 PM

What I want in a posing 3D program, regardless of maker: 1) Multiple undo's 2) Delete undo 3) Open GL 4) A material room with material grouping like in Vue 5) A boning/setup room with better poly selection 6) Atmosphere 7) Better memory management (this is number 1) 8) A face room that will work with all models 9) Modular programming so if I don't go into a room, I don't have the overhead (see memory management). Also would rather pay for each room seperatly, so if I don't want or use it, I don't have to get it or buy the extra overhead. 10) Collision detection 12) A good rendering engine 13) Windows standard interface wherever possible 14) Dynamic clothing 15) Autosave (just in case....) 16) Built in content on human figures to the Daz Millenium 1 level. 17) Animation that works. What I don't want 1) No built in web browser 2) No strand based hair, unless it really works and is lower overhead. It'd better have self collision detection too. 3) No security that increases overhead to the point the program loses memory. 4) No alpha version for sale. 5) A refund available if it doesn't work as advertised 6) Not done by CL. Fool me once...

Tasha ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 7:22 AM

Poser 6? Oh No! I just got poser 5 and I am scared to even install it! well, I did install it and it was so different from poser 4 that I very quickly uninstalled it. Also, I have a computer that has 512 of RAM and an 80 gig HD, and poser 5 seemed to eat this up very fast. I think I need a bigger RAM... ( writing to mom to ask)

yggdrasil ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 7:37 AM

How about instancing? By that I mean when you load two (or more) copies of the same figure into a scene, Poser only needs to load one copy of the CR2 and OBJ, but creates two separate tables of dial and material settings. Would reduce memory requirements and allow us to populate our images with real crowds (without having to fiddle about with multiple rendering passes and composoting) -- Mark

Mark

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 9:19 AM
  1. Fix the bugs in Poser 4 for those who didn't buy ProPack. 2) Fix the Poser 4 bugs in ProPack for those who did. 3) Fix the Poser 4 bugs in Poser 5 for those who bought it. 4) DO NOT include the Poser 4 bugs in Poser 6. 5) Do not introduce any new bugs (as much as possible). 5b) Concentrate on quality instead of flash. 6) Bring Poser into compliance with Windows API standards. 6b) Let me store and retrieve my textures, props, etc., from any directory I choose. 7) Make dial labels and library palettes readable. And we don't need any fancy, space-wasting folder icons. 8) Don't make promises you have no intention of keeping.

JoeyAristophanes ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 9:40 AM

The ability to remove textures you've decided against using. That would save a ton in processing time.

LonCray ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 10:15 AM

Oh, yes, I have to agree on the directory choice matter. I'd really like to have clothes (for instance) all in the Props directory, instead of spread between Props and Figures and Poses (for the mats and INJ's, admittedly non-supported features). I don't really care if they're conforming or whatever, I can deal with that using folder names. And Poses would all be poses, and so forth.

praxis22 ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 10:35 AM

A new library dir to store Mat's in would be nice. But I'd settle for them fixing all the bugs in P4 and P5... later jb

praxis22 ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 10:44 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/hostedforums.ez?hostedforum_id=90

Quoth the CEO: by Curious Labs (Curious_Labs) on August 20, 2003 04:21 Undo capabilities is one of the top requests for users. This will take a lot of engineering effort to implement throughout the application. It also has knock on affects such as memory footprint, which we would need to be conscious of and work on. Hence this feature needs to be part of a major revision, rather than through an update. I don't know of yet if this will be part of Poser 6. So, no undo function function then, if the current codebase can't handle something that simple I think we're SOL for anything *more* complicated... :) later jb

Odiemance ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 11:09 AM

Wow this thread is going nicely! I'm glad I tipped CL Cust. Srvc.! Little Dragon - We wonder how! I always get a "File In Use" message, when I want to delete from or rename my P5 Runtime files! gtrdon - That would be an excellent feature in many applications! Mason - What do you mean? pdxjims - A History Pallette would go far? I've been waiting for someone to mention Atmosphere's and/or infinite planes. A Vue or Bryce import would be cool! More support for M2 would be welcome! 3 Vertex Grabbers tools one Y, one Z, and one X! Facial deformation will never be easyer! With different Zones/Styles of effects like All In, Out, Up, Down, Left and Right, and to 1-X vertexs. Much much better Training Support is another issue I'd love to see tackled! What good is the technology if you in the dark with half of it? And I do'nt mean another manual. I've started a estimated 350MB website(Just one page...) that will have the GUI sliced up and linked to sound bytes, GIF, more screenshots and text. It should be posted with angelfire soon... How about an export HTML function? Be it for stills or animation? You what else I want to see come around? Designer Render Buttons! I mean just a big huge buttin, USB, serial or whatever, that is shaped like a Punch Doll or something, that'll do your CTRL-R'ing for you...Ha-Ha! I'm tempted to have something Rapidly Prototyped, I see extra button pads all the time...

pdxjims ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 11:10 AM

praxis22, No kidding on that. Undo is one of the simplest things to code, and be coded so it adds very little to a program's footprint. Poser already has a single undo feature, that works in some cases. Recording the action and writing the changes to a temp area is very minor. Then a bit of look code on the current undo to go back to the point requested. Admitedly, 100 levels of undo would take some memory away from running the program. However, 8, which is about standard as a max on an undo list would take very little. Of course this is one of the problems has. A lot of Poser users are also programmers and when the CEO makes a statement like that, he just comes off as uninformed and a little silly.

pdxjims ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 11:14 AM

...there is one stupid thing I'd like added to my list. And it may already be there, and I've never found it. On camera selection, you can single click to head, right hand, or left hand. I wish I could single click with the mouse to go back to main that way instead of a drop down. I know. It's real minor, but it'd be nice for me.

layingback ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 11:29 AM

Surely it should be clear to all - based on demostrated behaviours, e.g. Poser 3, Poser 4, Poser 4 ProPack, Poser 5 - that MetaCreations/CL/egiSys don't do rework. They'll add on, but not undertake rewriting of anything that works ("good enough" ;-) (And incidentaly they also demonstrated that they can NEVER get any release working correctly even after 3 or more SRs.) And as we are almost universally agreed that we don't want new features (that won't work, consume even more memory, overtax an already overburdened UI, break existing features, impact performance, etc). What does that leave? Nothing! The union of nothing_new with nothing_reworked is the null set. So why bother with this thread? Even in the unlikely event that CL will read it. Or that there are enough people at CL left to read it (let alone work on the product :-) If that rationalization doesn't happen to work for you, then try: It's taken 13+ months to fix an admittedly significant number of mostly relatively trivial bugs (although many apparantly trivial bugs are carefully left untouched). So how much could they actual do in a new release? Given they've not started on Poser 6 yet, and they still have SR4 PC - and thus presumably SR1 OCX (in order to stay consistent) - to do, then for a release of Poser 6 in, let's say, 18 months from now. Implying a 12 month development and test schedule approximately. Ergo it could have about the same amount of content as SR3! And that's the upside, because remember SR1, SR2a, SR2b, SR2c, SR2d, SR2e, SR2f and SR2.1 were done (in 3 months) by the 'full' development/management team. SR3 was done in 5 months (and OSX finished 3 months later still) by the new smaller team. That implies a trivial development resource currently. (If the statements of 6 staff are correct, then CEO Mark, PR Katherine, CS Starlet, TS and IT account for 5/6ths of that... leaving how many developers?) Yes they could use - i.e. invest in - more developers on Poser 6, but where are they to get the money from? Run away sales of repackaged Poser 4/Poser Artist? IOW, this thread is bordering on the futile. Even by Renderosity Poser Forum standards!!! LOL

Migal ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 1:14 PM

Futile. Wishful thinking. Same, same.

How you doin' LB? :-)

Treewarden ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 1:40 PM

I like Poser 5 alot. I dumped 4 the day 5 came out. (or rather mailing time after the day it came out.) I must admit that there was alot of frustration with it. Now however I am glad to have it and am very happy with it. So, that being said, I will cut to it. Add a modeler. Add particle effects. Add physics/dynamics. Add liquid. Add way to bake hair, cloth, physics, and liquid dynamics to take away overhead. Add a graphic GUI to the depth of field feature for animation. Add a sky/cloud generator and a ground/terrain/cyclorama feature. Add path oriented animation for anything in the scene. Make the walkpaths 3D capable. Add footprint driven walk options. Add object snap. Add JCM squish to the figures for correct distortions for extreme poses. Add collision based morphs for footprints, furniture deformation, etc. Add all of the back bones/vertebrae to the figures. Add lots of new characters. Or, add unimesh capability. Add a morph room. Add a direct to DVD animation capabiity that automatically fits standard broadcast formats. Oh yeah, since I'm "wishing" here make it make me lose the weight I've gained sitting in front of Poser! But seriously, I know I'm asking for Maya/Max with lots of content, but some things might be possible and if Poser has the intended life span that the nice people from CL are saying it will have is true, then we have to tell them what we want it to do, and trust that the bugs can be worked out. I think that the advances gained even with some unfortunate side effects are worth the cost for growth. The program has a community, not a users group. The money I spent on Poser, all versions, is really small compared to how much I spent on stuff for the program. I'm really ready to cut CL some slack, and think long term for Poser 6.

jwbaer ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 2:07 PM

OK, I don't usually post here, but I have to make a comment on the post that states that undo functionality is one of the simplest things to code. I have been a professional software developer for 16 years, delivering shrink-wrapped applications, and the complexity of designing and coding undo functionality depends hugely on the application domain. I agree that writing a good undo, even multi-level, is pretty straightforward for some applications (something like a 2D image editor or a text editor, for example), but the more complex and interdependent your data structures are, the more difficult undo becomes. In fact, getting a multi-level undo system right across all facets of a large application in a way that is efficient can be one of the hardest things to do. This is not to say it can't be done. It certainly can, and it should. But it is infinitely harder if the application architecture is not designed for it from the beginning. Adding multi-level undo to an application like Poser that was not designed with that in mind is a very tough job. It's not that people at CL don't know how to write a good undo system. CL's pro-V Studio has a very memory-efficient 100 level undo system, and it, like Poser, also must manage very large and complex data structures. However, although it shares many basic libraries with Poser, it was a new application and was designed and architected from scratch in the last couple of years. As such, the whole structure of how the app works was designed to support complete multi-level undo, which is what made it possible to implement. Even then, a good deal of development effort went into getting undo right, particularly for things like copying and pasting multiple object selections (other features people would like to see added to Poser). So Marc is not overstating the difficulty of adding app-wide multi-level undo to Poser.

That said, I think it is a very important feature to add, and it would be a great addition to P6.

A couple of notes regarding the basis for what I am saying -- I was an engineer at CL until the last layoffs, working primarily on pro-V Studio. Also, I think this has probably been mentioned by someone before, but in case anyone is wondering, there are good reasons why CL developed pro-V instead of spending the same development resources on Poser. In fact, pro-V had a very small development team compared to Poser until the last couple months of its development, after P5 had shipped. Finally, this is not a "don't say anything bad about CL" post -- it is just to clear up that Marc's statements about the effort required to improve undo in Poser are quite factual.

-Jeremy

pdxjims ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 3:06 PM

jwbear, Absolutly right on the undo code. A well written application can have the undo retrofitted easily, Poser, with so many different parts that don't work together would be more difficult. That said. There is currently a single level undo in P5 in many places. using a memory or temp file buffer at those places to do multiple undos should be easy to code, unless each undo step is embedded code within the program structure. I hope the P5 internal structure doesn't use this type of coding, although all eveidence points to it.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 3:18 PM
  1. DAZ-quality human figures and animals. Good JMC and plenty of morphs. 2. Environment settings (i.e. clouds, rain, terrain). 3. Better materials room. Liked P4 in that I could apply the same settings to the various parts of an item without effort. In P5, you have to go part by part. 4. Easier cloth room. 5. Ready-made dynamic clothing in the dynamic cloth props folder that is already dynamic. I went to my dynamic clothing folders and applied them to my figures, but you still have to go through a long drawn out process to get them to work. 6. Undo option. 7. Be able to delete a figure and other figures conformed to it easily. 8. No crosstalk. Otherwise I really like P5. In particular the Don figure is its saving grace. The face room is pretty easy to use and I've had fun with the hair room. The things that irritate me a little are the dynamic clothing and the materials room.

richnovak ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 11:23 PM

i want an app that does what poser does, what vue does, and renders and models like lightwave does, where i don't have to wait for a few years for 3rd party apps so i can join together all the other programs i bought to make a 7 minute cartoon. hell, i want lightwave. i got lightwave! what am i doing here? ;) what i really want is a people-maker app that can communicate to other apps easily. that's all.

Mesh_Magick ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2003 at 12:32 PM

Animated textures, the ability to assign a texture to a figure that is an avi or movie file, the file plays on the figure as the frame rate changes. Glow, the ability to make objects glow and cast off light. Better hair creation with more control. Better and easier way to animate poser. Lets us use the figure like an animated mouse pointer, that way we can assign the motions and paste in a new clip. hair/feathers for animals. nuff said.

Roy G ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2003 at 9:22 PM

Error handling

If an obj file is not found, Poser should search for it, or prompt user to find it, Poser freaks out when this happens.
If a texture is not found, Poser should stop doing whatever it does after I tell it to stop looking, and just load the damn thing without textures.
If I substitute a texture because I don't have it, substitute it for all instances, or prompt me if that's ok.
If an object file has a space in a material name, just use it correctly anyway.
Just one level of undo please! If I use a pose from the library and it completely screws up my project I need a way to undo it.

Of course these are all thing we should have had for Poser 3

EmpressZario ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 10:11 AM

What I would like mostly is with hair, to be able to select verts in each strand and move each one individually to allow for more easily styledhair (Braids, for instance), and maybe not in Poser 6, but one day in the future, maybe a professional Poser package with caustics in lighting and what not. Now, if Poser had a modelling room to it, it would make making clothes a lot more easier.

Kendra ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 12:14 PM

I echo a lot of what's been said but it would be nice to have a spot render in poser. (like bryce) It's a pain in the butt to wait for a render only to have a transparent body part embeded in a prop, etc.

...... Kendra

Odiemance ( ) posted Tue, 02 September 2003 at 2:55 PM

Network Rendering - These Compaq Deskpro EN's are getting cheaper and cheaper @ $50 a pop from E-Bay. They upgrade to 1Ghz for another $50...

Odiemance ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2003 at 9:51 AM

Hmm, Mark Keohane was here for some time after I mentioned this thread to CL...Well I guess I can mention it again as soon as I'm here a few more times with ideas! Hopefully you others will also return here with your Poser quirks! I knew I'd come up with a few more within a few days... 1.) Render to RSR! 2.) Stop Camera libraries from adding crop marks to thumbs! 3.) Include Parameter Dials in UI Memory Dots! 4.) Export .pct for RSR Convertor, or just assimilate the program. 5. )Render Multi Cam View 6.) Return last render to a camera, with a sticky toggle, after simply selecting anything after all that work! = )

Roy G ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2003 at 8:41 PM

1.) Render to RSR! 4.) Export .pct for RSR Convertor, or just assimilate the program. With Pro Pak and Poser 5 you can export PNG. Which is what both Progs use for Thumbs. Just export a 91x91 pixel rendering straight to your library. After you export the image you will still need to reselect that library for the thumb to update. Just click for the directory, then click back off.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2003 at 11:05 AM

Me... my wants are pretty mainstream for the next big release...

1. Network rendering/multiple CPU support. These are pretty much the same problem. Currently Poser only uses half of a HT CPU and only one CPU in a multi-proc setup
  2. Hardware 3D acceleration
  3. Squash some of the bugs that have been hanging around for a few releases now
  4. Abilities to make changes to all lights at the same time
  5. Built in batch rendering support - command line is OK

Most of all, I do NOT want CL to try and turn Poser into a general purpose 3D program. it isn't one, and it isn't ever going to be one. Aggressive support for helping others integrate Poser figures into other software is the right answer... and the only one that is practical.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.