Sun, Sep 22, 12:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: glass to look right

nick1 ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 3:29 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:39 AM

file_73443.jpg

Hi all- I did a model of a 60's lookalike glasstop chair. When loaded in Vue and rendered without tweaking anything in final mode( using Wings material for transparency), I got the first image. Then in Vue, I tried different glass materials and ,again, without any tweaking, the results were not that much different. I rendered the second image using Lightglass material in final mode which gave me a bit more realistic glass behavior than the Wings image. Now couple of questions: First, for interior shots, which glass material and settings would give the desired glass look? Second, on the second image, what causes that blue area indicated by the arrow, and how can I get rid of it? Thank so much, Nick

nick1 ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 3:30 PM

file_73444.jpg

Here is the second image.

haegerst ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 3:43 PM

I think the blue area is your sky reflecting in the glass... To see how good its really looking you should put it in a textured interior scene and youll get a better idea how the glas behaves... The floor and sky are too simple - you cant see how the glas is breaking light and reflections look just "blue"...

Vue content creator
www.renderarmy.com

haegerst ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 3:48 PM

It also depends a LOT on the light, in interior scenes, you should turn ambient light off and work with pointlights - you can use these even in visible areas if you turn off Halo or use lamps or so... Use at least 3 lights, one as the "highlight" near the object and set your highlight with it. Use 2 other lights (spots are great) without shadows and softness about 5 to 10... Youll see the glass looks great... I cant remember who, but someone has posted a tut about that in vue here...

Vue content creator
www.renderarmy.com

Cheers ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 4:43 PM

file_73445.jpg

I think the blue (apart from the reflecting of the sky) is probably the "Fade out color" within the "Transparency" tab of the Material Editor for the material. Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

haegerst ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 4:49 PM

That could be, it applies if you set a value/color there... Good point on that, but I still recommend rendering the whole in a proper interior scene with proper lighting and the chair will strike...

Vue content creator
www.renderarmy.com

nick1 ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 5:26 PM

Thanks guys. We will do just that and see what happens.I'll post an image later. If you think of anything else which would help, I am all ears. Many thanks again, Nick By the way, if you might need the model, post your email and I will send it to you.

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2003 at 6:08 PM

Playing with the "refraction index" settings can make a world of difference. For what you want, you might want to try a higher setting.

haegerst ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2003 at 3:18 AM

Yeah, thats a good point... And for glasses I would also try out the transparency and reflection sliders - by playing with these you can adjust the material so its looking more realistic, depending on what kind of glas you want to simulate... Never forget the proper lighting - THAT will make your glas look real...

Vue content creator
www.renderarmy.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.