Sat, Sep 21, 3:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Some nice water, finally!

jimgranite ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2003 at 10:47 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:25 PM

file_80388.jpg

I've finally figured out a good and easy way to make nice waves out of terrains in Vue. I had thought I would have to import something in to build some good ocean waves, but no! I made a glacier in the terrain editor, then applied a function using chipped with fractal layer and turbulence turned on, and smooth noise. This makes the top of your glacier look like ocean waves. Clip the bottom and apply a liquid of your choice.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2003 at 10:57 PM

Very cool!! :) Now how would you set that puppy in motion? I guess the short answer is: Buy Vue Pro, eh? -Tim

jimgranite ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2003 at 11:09 PM

file_80389.jpg

Can't answer the animation question... sorry. Here's another pic though.

nick1 ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2003 at 11:29 PM

Hi Jim- would you be kind enough to give a step by step? Thanks much, Nick

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 12:35 AM

Ditto!

Tintifax ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 2:45 AM

Yes please, tut!

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 4:17 AM

very very nice....Sharen

lingrif ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 7:31 AM

Wonderful, incredibly realistic. I've been trying so hard with mediocre results. Even some screen prints of your settings would be appreciated. -Lin

www.lingriffin.com

iloco ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 8:30 AM

Nice work. I would like to see a step by step with how you did this. Being new with Vue it makes it so much eaiser for me when someone brings forth good ideas that work like the one you have posted. :o)

ïÏøçö

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 8:32 AM

Love the results! Please do add some screen shots or a tutorial. Peggy

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 8:39 AM

Great result! I'd be interested in a step-by-step-tut, too. Anyhow I can imagine how it's done, I never did this myself. ;) Cheers, Phil

grunthor ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 9:53 AM

Add his name to the Me too! I'd love to see this as a tutorial list!

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 10:45 AM

Ditto :)

forester ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 12:03 PM

Beautiful! And very important too. While I or other people can make individual wave objects, individual shore breaks, small ocean wave sets and such, we cannot make anything that plugs into that infinite place water plane. So, this is a really good addition to our toolkit for oceans.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 12:57 PM

Likes very nice!

lululee ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 1:11 PM

Please,Please,Please,tutorial. It is amazing.

ggrace ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 1:35 PM

Great! glacier do you mean iceberg? chipped? turblance? Vue 4 or Pro? You have got me going

Benettor ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 2:49 PM

yes he means iceberg ......so make a terain iceberg in terrain editor so after that make a function using chipped in function tab after that in the same tab klik fractal layer and turbulence and turned on both in turbulence also tab klik edid and choose smooth noise. klik enter and close the tab fuction ,aplly to terain, also something else who forgot jimgranite to said klik some time difussion filter to terain editor 2 time or more ...so go out of terain editor .. and try to flat more your terain ... you need a wavy flat terain... .. choose both your new terain and the main terain and apply a water Mat file ...... i tried to help u :) Benettor

• Benettor - Photographer - My Art

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 3:23 PM

Thanks, but now I'm more confused than ever. :)

iloco ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 3:30 PM

Don't feel bad timoteo1, I am having problem with it also. I would love to see a step by step instruction on how it is done. For the ones like me that are kind of new to vue it would help a lot by explaining each step and where the things are located that need to be worked with. :o)

ïÏøçö

ggrace ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 4:34 PM

file_80390.jpg

I will recheck the editor. I am still confused as to how. I did try the picture function with a cloud nagative and got the following result. Close but not as good.

Benettor ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 4:54 PM

Attached Link: http://kostsip.tripod.com/Untitled-1.jpg

ok:") follow the steps ..... this is not my article here but i shall try to help u with my small tutorial with photos.... just for the people who dont know:(

• Benettor - Photographer - My Art

jimgranite ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 5:03 PM

I'll try to do some screen prints of my settings when I get home. Going out of town for the weekend. Benettor has the right idea. Ggrace's pic looks pretty close. I used a bunch of copies of the first terrain to get the water going back into the distance. I also put a water plane underneath. The two pics I did both used volumetric atmospheres and it seemed to show the reflections on the water better. Yes you start with a glacier terrain because that gives you a nice flat terrain. Then you hit the function tab in the upper right corner. You have to edit the function which takes some getting used to, but the chipped function is what scoops out the nice valleys to make the top of your glacier wavy. I had tried smooth noise and fractal before but never got anything that looked like waves. Good luck!

ggrace ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 5:04 PM

file_80391.jpg

yes, getting closer here is another, same terane, but flatened and a foamy water material added that I made in the renderosity waterfall tutorial

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 5:14 PM

Thanks, everyone. Bennetor, you're link does not work though ... no image. Nice work Ggrace ... I'd say you're very close! The only thing I notice is that your water seems to be TOO reflective (almsot glass or plasticy looking) ... but this might just be needing to render the atmosphere as volumetric. But way to go! -Tim

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 5:34 PM

Sorry, but WHERE is the "chipped" function?? I can;t find it in any of the stock filters. Also, I;ve tried other filters, like cracked, bumps, etc. but it doesn't really do anything to the terrain. So lost ...

ggrace ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 6:45 PM

Well I am less confused now here is how "jimgranite" Did it. Goto the terane editor and make your iceberg. Then goto the last icon on top it has a mountain and a plus. then right click on the function and you get a menu of functions chipped is one in the basic area. select that and tell it ok then go back to it and right click the chipped function and select edit function and there is the menu with fractal layer turn it on and turblence turn it on and noise select smooth noise there are lots of other interesting possibilities for all kins of terane. This should keep us busey for some time. Thank you jimgranite for making me learn a lot more about VPro today. Aloha Glenn

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 7:51 PM

Oh crap!! No wonder ... this is Vue Pro only?!? Sorry ... I missed that somewhere along the way. doah2.gif

-Tim

iloco ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 8:35 PM

Thanks ggrace for your understandable explanation. I was finally able to duplicate the water as in original post. :o) Hard for a newbie to follow someone that is good with Vue and don't understand that new ones have problems not going to a certain feature they think we should know where it is located. :o) Been fun following this thread and trying to get water as in first post. :o)

ïÏøçö

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 8:49 PM

Nevermind! You can do it in Vue 'Dsprit as well. Was just clicking on the filter first instead of the function. DUH!

iloco ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 9:12 PM

file_80392.jpg

This is a preview render, but shows I am finally getting waves. :o)

ïÏøçö

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 17 October 2003 at 9:35 PM

Would one of you mind posting your EXACT settings? I've tried a number of times, but am getting nothing really remotely close to what you are showing here. Here are the settings I'm using: - Create a 512 x 512 terrain - Hit RESET, then click on ICEBURG - Now click on ADD FUNCTION (upper-right icon) - Double-click function (picture) and choose CHIPPED. (Now is already selected though by default from previus attempts.) - Get a graph looking like waves going up a hill. - Now I right-click on the function (picture) and choose EDIT. - Fractal Layer is ALREADY CHECKED - Check TURBULENCE "ON" and then click EDIT TURBULENCE EDIT WINDOW: - Complexity is set at "2" - NOISE: Basic Noise = "Noise(smooth)", Combination="Add" - TURBULENCE: Scale = "2.00", Amplitude = "0.25", Harmonics = "0.50" - CLOSE TURB EDIT WINDOW OTHER SETTINGS Bottom of function edit window, says "Details of layer 1 of 2": - Amplitude = "1.000" - Offset = "0.300" - Type = "Chipped" - Scale = x,y,x = 2.00 Do you turn on TURBULENCE for the Noise(smooth) function as well?? Thanks, Tim

wabe ( ) posted Sat, 18 October 2003 at 3:11 AM

Great water and so much noise :-) How simply to have a look simply into a little program called caustics generator? Great help when you want to do wavy water.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

vizzitor ( ) posted Sat, 18 October 2003 at 5:42 AM

I've tried a number of times, but am getting nothing really remotely close to what you are showing here. Tim, I agree and then I tried a couple of clicks on Eroded. You might like it. ...AL

iloco ( ) posted Sat, 18 October 2003 at 8:08 AM

timoteo1 if you read ggrace reply closely it will give as good an answer to how the waves are done than I can give you. ggraces reply was the simple explanation that helped me figure it out. Reread and go slow with that reply in this thread.:o)

ïÏøçö

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sat, 18 October 2003 at 2:51 PM

I have ... I've tried it at least a dozen times now. That's why I am asking for all the other settings. My terrains always end up to "spikey" and the curves are not gradual enough ... I end up with "splashes" and such. I've done everything to the letter and even experimented with some of the values, nothing works. At this point, it would be a lot easier just to fire up After Effects, use Atomic's Psunami plug-in, and then comp my stuff together. I can get great motion then too. That's probably what I should have done from the begining. Just thought it would be fun in Vue ... WRONG. -Tim -Tim

nick1 ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2003 at 1:17 AM

O.K. now, I hate to cahnge the mood, but can we possibly get back to getting a complete and accurate step by step tut? Thanks again, Nick

ggrace ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2003 at 12:18 PM

Was sick yesterday so no Vue or internet. better today. I will work on a short tutorial on this function later on. But for Tim just a short tip. My waves were too big initially too. I'll save them for a storm. But the qick and dirty way is to just flatten the terrane. Go to one of the side views and find the middle handle on top of the terrane and pull it down toward the ground. It also helps to set the original ground plane to the same water material. so any "holes" wont be noticable Don't forget the clip slider either. Then its just play till you get the right 'for you' settings. The atmospheres will give much different appearances to the same water also. I like a water with some foam in it so don't neglect the material editor either. Approach this as Play -glenn

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 11:35 AM

waves shyly I would love a step by step Tut too!

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 6:51 PM

I read all this... and I think it is just for vue pro? But seems like something to try in good old Vue 4 too! :) That water is so beautiful! (I will not buy Pro until it has been around a while)

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

wabe ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 12:38 AM

Well, nobody has seen my remark - as usual :-)) Maybe you give the little free program Caustics Generaltor a try. Great waves you can make there. The prog does a b&w map that you then can use in the terrain editor! Very straight forward, very nice. Try it out. If you dont know where find it, do a search at google. Thats how i found it, after monsoon has mentioned it at 3DCommune.

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 5:37 AM

Hello wabe, I just try around a bit with the caustic generator. But I only get some very "unwavy"-like terrains. Do you have some edit tips for the caustic parameters? Thank you!

wabe ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 5:44 AM

i will try it out again - and let you know!

wabe ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 9:54 AM

file_80393.jpg

Sorry, hadn't much time today. Here a quicky. Terrain map done in CausticsGenerator, rendered in Vue Pro - not completely anti aliased. I have to go soon! Well, CausticsGenerator is a little unstable, so it crashed before i wrote down the values for this exactly. But i redid it, the result is very similar. depth 1.5 Intensity 0.04 Amplitude 5 Frequency filter 1.6 Time filter 32 No anim. frames 32 current frame 1 width 768 height 768 subdivision 256 supersampling 1 After using that in the terrain editor (terrain 1024x1024) i did there a little equalising and clicked 2-3 times onto erode/fluvial. All to make it smoother. Not perfect still, but - beside rendering - done in around 10 minutes. If you have more questions, let me know. Walther

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 10:24 AM

Thank you very much Walther! I will try out it immediately...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.