Fri, Sep 20, 6:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Whays every1 gone crazy over anime dolls?

Laver2k ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 10:45 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:36 AM

Are these the same ones from Daz? Havent they been out for ages? I was just awondering.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 10:55 AM

Not at all. If you mean the V3 face morphs that were called something like Anime Doll, they were just plain HIDEOUS (at least IMO) Koshini is SORT of an anime doll, but more toon than anime. Aiko.. Well Aiko is an anime wannabe. So far I haven't seen a convincing anime pic with her. But the new Anime Doll.. Just is instant Anime :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Laver2k ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 10:57 AM

ah ok, thanks =)

PandaPride ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 12:42 PM

I have the new amine doll kit, it's a nice to have and there are so many possibilites. I have it because I have always liked anime as for everyone else can't say why they have it. --Essie

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 1:18 PM

I don't think it's everyone, actually less than 1% of members. It may be in reference to their dissatisfaction with previous models promoted as "anime".

DarkSkills ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 1:37 PM

I believe ernyoka1 hit the nail on the head. There are alot of us who are really into anime and until the anime doll kit there really hasn't been a model or morph that truly captured the essescence of what many of us consider to be the 'Traditional Anime' look. Let alone trying to apply a cel-shaded look. Don't get me wrong there have been some good looking models that were marketed under 'anime' name, but they were anime in name only. There have also been some down right scary figures tagged as anime, but they were little more than ghoulish, bug-eyed nightmares. Useful as demons or monsters, but that's about it. I realize that anime comes in many different shapes and styles and in the grand scheme of things, what makes it to America is just one particular style of anime. But, in all honesty, that's the style I find the most aestetically(sp?) pleasing on all levels and I'm sure my fellow Otaku will back me up on that. So it's not that everyone has gone crazy over the anime dolls, it's more like everyone who's ever wanted to do a traditional anime, cel-shaded render or production finally has a Poser figure, that even the most hardcore Otaku agrees is the means to accomplishing these goals.

Stay Focused.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 2:47 PM

I agree with the above posts- 1. Nearly all of the previous "Anime" stuff HAS been hideous! The DAZ V3 "Anime" morphs look like the character is on a heavy benzadine binge after learning their entire family was killed in a plane crash. BIG WIDE EYES and a pointy nose do not ANIME Make. 2. StudioMaya's AnimeDoll is very successful because it really captures the Anime Look- of which there are many variations- but his has the "essence" of a good Anime chara. But most importantly, the AnimeDoll exhibits a "cute charm" that others who don't understand it, fail to see. Anime girls are ULTRA-FEMININE- yet they can act comical, stupid, heroic, viciously kill- and yet still keep that ultra-feminine cute charm! An Anime Girl character is the only one who can really fire a Chain-gun or wield a broad sword and never stop looking cute and feminine. 3.I think that the whole Anime Girl genre is also a "high-level" form of Japanese SATIRE! I think all the artists doing this in Japan KNOW its a GREAT FUN JOKE! That's why the more wildly elaborate the plots are, with all kinds of bizarre characters and props, with cute, feminine 15 year old looking girls doing the machine gunning and sword-wielding- the more wildly satirical and FUN it is!

galactron22 ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 4:48 PM

Hey! Don't forget 50 Foot tall robots duking it out in the middle of a city or in space.

Ask me a question, and I'll give you an answer.

Insom_Nia ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 5:01 PM

Yeah but I see only girls....snif

fauve ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 6:28 PM

file_80971.jpg

I've been working on an Anime Doll boy that's a hybrid of Ichiro's body (for the clothes) and the Anime Doll head with some of Crescent's free face morphs.

Riddokun ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 6:37 PM

hmm i dont think it is either wise to say it sux or it is good, yet it is true that many people went totally mad/frantic abotu that with the release of the kit by mayax and if you cannot join the fun, well, then you have to pass and wait for things gettign back to another state (i would nto tell "back to noral", no judgement) it is a bit annoying... it is a fashion effect i think, many give themselves into it.. i in factr had been working and needing such kind of method for my own use for monthes, and failed so far to achieve it and it helped me, but i keep it mostly to myself, but i saw website which layout/graphics were totally remade in a couple of days using this ! gee peoples seem to love it :) this is why i decided to prepare a few dull but humoristic pictures to "joke" about this actual "rush on animedoll" :) i have good ideas but it takes time for me to make renders that fits my mood and mind... expect fun anyway :)

Riddokun ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 6:50 PM

oh i forgot: yes aiko was a bit disssapointing, koshini is good but is toon, rather than anime as you said, laroo was...hmm i wont say foul words ! but dont forget our old Yuka/mayu for v2 (at first), and then for most popular geometries (eve, p4 etc) it was very similar if you watch it: animedoll is mayabasic with a special modified head and morphs with it.. yuka was just that too ! also with some gamesystem video games from japan (ffantasy, doa etc), we have another "level" in anime look, like CG graphics, and in this part, or even if tweaked as ztoon maybe, Tenten from yamato, and mayadoll basic are still far more anime looking than most self appointed "anime" products, and they also (good deal) also act as rather credible/realistic asiate women models for photorealism or non anime renders...

Badco ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 8:46 AM

There is also the new Laroo figure from RDNA. anime/manga/toon style figure.

Riddokun ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 8:59 AM

file_80972.jpg

if you want my opinion, i avoided saying foul words earlier, because laroo was in fact rather disappointing.. a good character/figure but not regarding the anime theme :( (it is roswell not anime :) anyway i began to make a few tries for my little humoristic serie about "everyone crazy 'bout animedoll", i will call it war of the dolls, and each one (mayabasic and anime one) will "battle" and try to seduce users using their own features :) here is a sample of one little joke about it

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 9:30 AM

Riddokun.. I love that pic :o) And it illustrates nicely the difference between plain cute and ANIME :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 3:41 PM

Love that line "It Is Roswell, Not Anime" ! (I don't think LaRue is Anime, either. While I like and buy lots of stuff at RDNA, I think it was a mistake not to make LaRue work with V2 or V3 clothes. She is more of an interesting character face, but not worth investing in as a separate babe to put clothes on. I would rather go with AnimeDoll as she really is ANIME CUTE!)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 5:47 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=520066&Start=1&Artist=Penguinisto&ByArtist=Yes

file_80973.jpg

Aiko is about to open a HUGE can of whoopass on her new 'roomies'...

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 5:59 PM

And BTW yes, I do agree... the LaRoo doll looks more strange by default than anything else. Yuka and Anime Doll are the only two that look truly "anime" in shape (Aiko comes close, but she takes a lot of work to get into the anime look. OTOH, I believe Aiko would fit more with the American-based interpretation of anime, like when US cartoonists try and make an anime cartoon... it's close, it resembles it, but it isn't quite it.) There was an excellent anime mesh effort a year ago by Asciicodeplus that looked extremely promising, but he never completed it... I wish he would, but it looks like it may never happen. :/ Ah well - hopefully I can create a decent Anime male character by combining the Aiko male morph and the Anime Doll head (the Aiko male morph is a perfect anime representation... the male Aiko head is, err, "yuck!"...) /P

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 7:44 PM

I'm a John Wayne Gung-Ho American type, but I have YET to see any Westerner with an "anime" character that looks anywhere near as good as AnimeDoll. Whoever designed Aiko didn't GET IT either. Americans and Westerners can't seem to GET the FUN, CUTE, CHARMING FEMININITY that Japanese put into their Anime charas. Somehow they get only a "darker" and more "dulled down" anime look. StudioMaya gets IT because he's right in the middle of it. And as personal schools of anime-manga, I still think Motsura has the best MANGA charas. He was WAY AHEAD of everyone in the Poser area but still gets little credit for it. I like Mayu and Yuka, but they are 3rd on my favorite Anime-Manga list- but they are nice, good-spirited Anime girl charas and still way ahead of Aiko, LaRue, DAZ Anime Morphs, etc.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 10:30 PM

Ah - I should've said the make Aiko body was a perfect Anime arrangement, and not the head. But yeah, I agree to a point, though I don't think it's just a westerner/oriental racial type thing. Instead I submit that it's a minor cultural thing that has to be overcome, and that it is possible for westerners to make a good anime character Asciicodeplus is a perfect example of a guy who IMHO gets it, though he is (as far as I can tell) a westerner - check out his attempts here: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1119794 You are right about Motsura though... but I think he was a bit too far ahead of his time when he posted 'em, back when such things as cel-shading (and pre- z-toon rendering) were the domain of expensive rendering programs. /P

Veritas777 ( ) posted Wed, 22 October 2003 at 11:58 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1119794

Nice link- I posted it again as a quickie-link. Yes, I think Americans and Westerners CAN do good Anime. It's probably somewhat like spending a year or two in Japan, where you can really absorb the culture of Japan and get an idea of what makes them tick. Eventually you get your ZEN moment and go "AHA!", I GET IT! But of course you still have to translate that understanding into REALLY GOOD lines and curves in a 3D Modeling app. I would bet that a lot of these good Anime modelers have spent a LONG TIME drawing these characters, and so when they sit down at their computer, they have the 3D scan of the character already in their brain, and can visualize it from every angle. So if you can do the 3D Lines and Curves AND can put that CUTE CHARM and FEMALE CHARISMA into the chara, you have a good Anime Character. It's very hard for most people to get ALL of those factors going in a character. That's why Little Fox has done so well with Koshini- because it WAS a very good execution of Charm and Cuteness in the direction she wanted to take it in.

Riddokun ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 11:47 AM

a good example is adam warren, in charge of american version of "Dirty pair", and who made some hilarous parodies of starwars in an anime flavor, and also Gen 13 special editions :)

simontemplar ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 7:06 PM

Adam Warren stands right in the middle of it esthetically. The difference will be in his scenario and text approach though. An action anime or manga is never too verbose. Anime characters stuck into an "action" situation don't have those Silver Surfer lines you can read in Warren's version of Bubblegum Crisis. I love Warren's work but it aint either anime or comics: it stands on the razor edge. What he got right though is the japanese sense of puns. I think there's a mistake commonly made: there is no such thing as a "japanese comics" or an "american manga". Either way the cultural difference will bend the result... what was said earlier about "dulled" from japanese to american conception of anime esthetics is very true. You can tell immediately if it's a westerner's work or not; the method is different, the conception of a picture's background, the use of colors, everything will tell. it's like 2 schools of painting working on the same subject: if the japanese school is asked to draw a set of Ukyo-E and a set of hommages to Norman Rockwell, the latter will look weird. If the amerocan school is asked to do the same kind of work, their Ukyo-E will look like drawn on crack :3 I think we should all just stick to what we know... Maya's done a not only cute, but very useful doll here; she looks anime, she IS anime, and even us westerners who cannot "think" anime when we draw we can now make some pretty decent renders. It ain't about what we are capable of in terms of performance and competiotion, it's just a matter of what our cultural background make sus good at.

simontemplar ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 7:08 PM

sorry about the typo's: it's 2 am here :3

Riddokun ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 8:16 PM

i simply remind you of an old and interestign experience we had in the presence of the first wave of "chinese" mangas, which were really "different"... as well, i saw by a friend of mind the first works of a young generation of french cartoon artists who clearly stepped into the mangaka style, but in their own way.. it is definitly not as a blatant "westerner" look as you would believe, yet it is not "japanese stric manga", but it is really free of more stereotype of westerner's anime attempts, so far from what i saw... I keep myself informed about all this new ground of artist... (ps: it is rare i ever see you post here... nice to see you)

ScottA ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 8:45 PM

file_80974.jpg

What will those wacky Japanese get us hooked on next?

CrystalDragon ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 3:26 AM

Well, it's not 3d, but here's a comic that has the style down (at least, I think so).

<www.megatokyo.com>

and here (same artist):

http://www.fredart.com

simontemplar ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 11:27 AM

The problem is that when french cartoonists "step" into it, they still only assimilate a part of the graphism and contextual elements. Manga is not just about the way character look; it includes a whole world of graphical codes and page structure. It's just like Canada Dry; it smells like it, it looks like it, but it ain't it. Aristotelician philosophy insists on one thing: "art is imitation". It still doesn't mean that just because you painted a duck, it's a duck. Those french cartoonists might have assimilated the "kira eyes" concept, and in some cases the japanese view of colirs, I shall remind you that you can tell a corean comic from a japanese instantly even without texts, and a french one even better. They all are excellent in skills but they are wrong if they think that they should or can make "manga". First thing, manga won't take itself seriously. There is a willing part of irresponsibility in the manga style. Occidental cartoonists have a very high opininon of themselves, especially when they step into this kind of league: they all claim they got it all, and built a kind of fake elitism on it. The first guy to do it was Trantkat, the rather not-talented cartoonist in the "Tsunami" magazine. I actually showered his ego in an open letter. Nowadays the only french artists who have manga influences and that I'd respect are the authors of "Sillage". They obviously borrowed some concepts from manga but they do not try to imitate it. Not only the occidental eye and scheme of thought are different from the japanese one, but to top^it, where is the point in imitating a specific exotic style ? I'd rather see inventive young authors working on their own style rather than watching a stampede of westerner Katsura-wannabe kobuns. Art id personal. Borrowing someone else's art won't take an artist very far.

Riddokun ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 6:20 PM

well aside from that, i kept working on more "anime vs basic" dolls joke... watch my gallery (i reworked all the colors too, as the first uploaded version was too dull and unsaturated...) today , the good'old mayadoll basic makes all he best she can to get you back to her :) http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=523843&Start=1&Artist=Riddokun&ByArtist=Yes have a good laugh...

22Chinook ( ) posted Fri, 13 May 2011 at 12:13 AM

Attached Link: Picture of Alphard

> Quote - I believe ernyoka1 hit the nail on the head. There are alot of us who are really into anime and until the anime doll kit there really hasn't been a model or morph that truly captured the essescence of what many of us consider to be the 'Traditional Anime' look. Let alone trying to apply a cel-shaded look.

I agree. I once spent most of a day just trying to reshape the supposedly-anime Aiko figure's face to have the basic anime features, and I was still dissapointed.

Now we have the archtypal anime cute-heroine figre, we need someone to build an anime figure with the archtypal tough-heroine anime look, like Alphard in Caanan.  

Cariad ( ) posted Fri, 13 May 2011 at 12:40 AM

coughs This thread has been dead for 8 years nearly... Might want to check the dates... I think I see the anime zombies rising as a result of this bit of necromancy....

Xase ( ) posted Fri, 13 May 2011 at 7:57 AM

It's Alive!!!!!

I'll be over in the corner with a shotgun waiting for the Anime zombie apocolypse. :)

Cariad ( ) posted Fri, 13 May 2011 at 9:56 AM

Shovel... check.  Shotgun... check.  I <3 Looting t-shirt... check.  Lollipop... check.

Okay, I am ready... the cute zombies can arise anytime.

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 13 May 2011 at 10:11 AM

Hey be nice!  At least it's on topic necroposting :P

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Cariad ( ) posted Fri, 13 May 2011 at 10:35 AM

I thought zombies were sort of on topic for this month at least :p

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 13 May 2011 at 10:55 AM

Very on topic, LOL

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.