Fri, Sep 20, 2:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 2:16 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Long time no see, eh? A new poem: "Ignorant"

Ianfe ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2003 at 11:12 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 2:41 PM

Wrote this in a three minute rush... you know how it is sometimes. ;)

Ignorant

for the lives of eons untold,
And dusty creeds of broken spirits:
I revel in my ignorance,
and sweep the rush forward.
My breath is tainted,
broken, unfurled,
like speared souls on high city fences.
This gory truth spits on my face:
The light, it seems,
is guide to damned and saved.
What breaks them?
I do not know.
This unknown shepherd
will not come for me.

Ian F. Brillembourg

SerpentGoddess ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 6:26 PM

Interesting. "I do not know. This unknown shepherd" Seems to break the flow a bit.

Ianfe ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 6:28 PM

perhaps this is better? What breaks them? I do not know. This unknown shepherd will not come for me.

Crescent ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2003 at 8:55 PM

It's great to see you back! I keep getting stuck on the last few lines as well. I love the first part, but I can't quite reconcile the last 4 lines. You might want to turn it into 3 stanzas, with the last 2 stanzas being the last 4 lines. (I think that's what you suggested above but I'm not sure.) It may sound quibbling, but should "This unknown shepherd" be "The unknown shepherd" instead? "This" makes it sound like there's more than one and you're pointing out a specific one, which seems strange since he's unknown. I wish I could be of more help but I can't put my finger on what doesn't fit on those last few lines. The first part is right on target, though. Cheers!

Ianfe ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2003 at 10:50 PM

Hey, Crescent! Long time no see! Yeah, I see what you guys are saying. Basically what I'm trying to say is that whoever "breaks", or separates, the saved from the damned (the shepherd) has not come to the character in the poem, therefore he/she does not know which way he's headed. So, I guess it would go like this? Ignorant for the lives of eons untold, And dusty creeds of broken spirits: I revel in my ignorance, and sweep the rush forward. My breath is tainted, broken, unfurled, like speared souls on high city fences. This gory truth spits on my face: The light, it seems, is guide to damned and saved. What breaks them? I do not know. This unknown shepherd will not come for me.

Ianfe ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2003 at 10:50 PM

Thanks for the comments, by the way

boodah30 ( ) posted Tue, 25 November 2003 at 9:19 PM

For the eons of lives who've left and nothing said. Dusty creeds upon broken spirts revel in ignorance. Crushed, swept, rushing forward, it's breath tainted, unfurled like the voices of speared souls upon high city fences. I cry out from the beyond this packed empty abyss. The light seems to be a guide for only the damn to be saved. What breaks them? I, do not know. As the truth drips from being spat upon my face. I have no sence of the unknown shepard calling upon me. Am I damned to be saved... NO, I shall join in the chorus of the dead to be laid.

Ianfe ( ) posted Tue, 25 November 2003 at 10:17 PM

I don't understand if you're following up on the idea, or trying to rephrase it. But whatever it is, I like it! Thanks!

boodah30 ( ) posted Wed, 26 November 2003 at 5:13 PM

Me neither? I do thank you, for your poem sparked me to write "something". Which I have not done for a while. Even if it was adding to your work. Just so I know is the "unknown shepard" meaning jesus christ.

Ianfe ( ) posted Wed, 26 November 2003 at 10:48 PM

No. Although I am of Catholic faith, this poem has nothing to do with my religious beliefs. At least, it's not meant to. you said: "your poem sparked me to write "something". Which I have not done for a while." I am flattered, all the same, by your comment. Thanks again.

SerpentGoddess ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2003 at 3:20 PM

It definitely sparks... I like the "The" and the break in the last couple of lines.

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 1:41 AM

Hi Ian, I like this a lot. I've been pondering the meaning of 'break' here, and perhaps it will work better if you change it to: Who sorts them? I do not know. This unknown shepherd will not come for me. HTH, Tres

Fractals will always amaze me!

Ianfe ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 7:28 AM

Thanks, Tres, I considered that change myself, but I feel that the word "break" HAS to be there. I can't explain it. It's just one of my things...

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 12:13 PM

I completely understand, Ian. I liked the original myself, and didn't seem to stumble as others did. I was just offering a possibility. I truly enjoyed this piece. Tres :)

Fractals will always amaze me!

Ianfe ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 12:38 PM

Thank you very much, Tres. Really appreciate your support.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.