Sun, Sep 22, 4:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:54 am)

Subject: Stupid Question: WHEN!?! WHEN?!?!?

tedbragg ( ) posted Sun, 14 December 2003 at 1:49 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:40 AM

When oh WHEN can I get my grubby little hands on Daz:Studio?!? OpenGL...dang man, I've been having DREAMS about this program! Enough already! Release! Release! I don't mind if there are bugs! Beta test! beta test! (feel like I'm chanting with a crowd at a concert...)

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sun, 14 December 2003 at 3:55 PM

There are no stupid questions, only... ;0) I'm really hoping they get out the alpha release before Christmas. With that said, I'd rather they take their time and release something with relatively few problems to be encountered. Patience is a virtue (yeah, right!)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

tedbragg ( ) posted Sun, 14 December 2003 at 9:09 PM

But I want my OpenGL posing, native OS X running app right NOW! Poser 4 is clunky, slow and --- ARRGH! If I could import Daz figures into Cinema 4d I'd be okay right now....but I CAN'T, so I"m going to KEEP WHINING until I get my copy of D|S!!! WWwwaaaaaa!! :-p

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sun, 14 December 2003 at 9:25 PM
Site Admin

I'm just getting ready to start a 3-week semester break in a few days, so it would be nice to spend it test-driving Daz studio

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Questor ( ) posted Mon, 15 December 2003 at 8:00 AM

Why can't you import Daz figures into Cinema 4D? It's as simple as any other app and if you have version 7 or 8 you can use mat files to texture them.

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 15 December 2003 at 11:49 AM
milamber42 ( ) posted Mon, 15 December 2003 at 5:23 PM

After reading that article, I did a Google search for a definition of vaporware.  I found the following definition at Merriam-Webster Online:

One entry found for vaporware.
 Main Entry: va·por·ware
Pronunciation: 'vA-p&r-"war, -"wer
Function: noun
Date: 1984
: a new computer-related product that has been widely advertised but is not yet available

I also found similar definitions at:
Marconi
High-Tech Dictionary
hyperdictionary
webopedia

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 15 December 2003 at 7:48 PM

I think, although these are standard definitions, that they don't quite fit. Vaporware, splitting the word apart, implies "computer-related product" that is widely advertised that never materializes - vaporizes - disappears - quietly eeks back into the great bit-bucket in the beyond over there. By that more apt definition, Daz|Studio is just not-yet-released software. It is not like Daz3D is hyping it up and it'll never be released. The CEO has already said that there would be a slight delay in the alpha release to PC members and the software DEFINITE exists. Sorry, there is a difference between touting software that never seems to progress or get released and something that's nearly ready just needing tweaks.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

numanoid ( ) posted Mon, 15 December 2003 at 8:08 PM

Hee hee, according to the article in the link DazStudio will always be vapor-ware, as it will never be shrink-wrapped. Shrink-wrapped usually means sold, or at least obtained through a store or in physical form, and as Daz Studio is download only I don't think this will ever happen. From the article/website: "As in previous years, software in a never-ending, pre-release, beta-testing stage is considered vaporware, even if it's widely available. It hasn't shipped until it's shrink-wrapped."

milamber42 ( ) posted Mon, 15 December 2003 at 8:10 PM

I just looked up the word and provided the definintions. :-) Is it vaporware? You decide.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 12:27 AM

Ratteler, :) Just my observations. Well, that's a stupid definition of "vaporware". There are tons of excellent, many-versioned softwares which are "released" (beyond alpha and beta by any stretch), popular, and robust which have never been "shrink-wrapped". For instance: UVMapper Pro. This sounds like a definition concocted prior to the emergence of modern "E-Commerce". Despite the Dot-Com bust, it is now a strong force for the purchase and distribution of downloadable software. I'd say that approximately 30-40% of my applications are downloaded purchases - Mozilla, Opera, Dreamweaver MX 2004, Namo WebEditor 5, ULead DVD Workshop, Poser 4PP Mac, Poser 5 Mac, Firehand Ember 2000, WebZip, QuickTime Pro, RealOne, PowerDVD XP, IconWorkshop, Stereo Image Factory, Mimic 2.0 Pro, Ahead Nero, and on and on - many more than even I anticipated (noting that some of these are available "shrink wrapped"). I think a redefinition is in order. ;) - The above is not meant to be derogatory to milamber42 or numanoid who I realize are just passing on information. :)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

milamber42 ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 7:18 AM

IMO, it does look like the definition in the Meriam-Webster Dictionary is current. It says nothing about "shrink-wrap" software, just software that "is not yet available". D|S does fit this category, but does it fit the "widely advertisied" part of the definition? Opinions will vary on this one for sure. :)

D|S was announced around a year ago here and at PoserPros (not sure about 3D Commune). D|S was shown at trade shows. It was covered in the trade magazines. It's been heavily advertised to DAZ customers. IMO, it does fit widely advertised.

And, since it is a computer-related product, at this time, IMO, it is vaporware. [No big deal. No attack on DAZ here. Just my opinion..:)] I don't know if the Oxford Dictionary or any other dictionary has the same definition as Merriam-Webster. M-W is the only dictionary online, and I also own a M-W dictionary. Anyone got easy access to another one? This is not important enough to me to make a trip to the library, but it would be interesting to see what the definition is in other "official" dictionaries.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 9:42 AM

It is a rather interesting definition that MW imparts. If nothing else, the discussion will pass time while we wait for D|S. :)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

milamber42 ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 9:44 AM

Exactly! :) I'm ready to do some heavy testing, and I start a 2 week vacation soon [4 days and counting...].

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.