Fri, Sep 20, 11:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: # of gallery uploads...a little rant here

rockets ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 10:15 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:37 AM

I know this is an unpopular opinion, particularly for those who post primarily to the forums and not the galleries. I HATE this one upload per day thing! I hated it when it was being discussed and I really hate it now. I refuse to pay for the privilege, but will post my work on the other sites that have no limits as so many others are doing. Renderosity has always been the Poser site of choice for me and probably always will be, but dang, 1 a day really sux! Now, let the flaming begin!

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

Blazerwiccan ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 10:19 AM

I do not want to get flamed but I agree with you rockets 100% I hate the one image a day and no way I can afford yet another bill just to upload more images.

Phantast ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 10:24 AM

Well look at this way - better to have people looking forward to seeing your next picture tomorrow than have them saying, "Oh, no, not another whole bunch by XXX cluttering up the place!"

Nightwind ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 10:56 AM

Well Rockets, have to agree with you. I hadn't realized the change had taken place since my computer has been down for awhile and I just recently got it going again. Some people don't have access everyday, I travel with my husband most of the year, so would sometimes post maybe three pics at once, but only posted once a week. Since most of the pics posted in the Poser Gallery contain items from the store, looks like less exposure for products. I don't feel inclined to pay to post images, considering the number I have lost or had to repost in the past. Guess I'll look for an alternative, it is their site and they are free to do with it as they wish.

Sydney_Andrews ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 10:59 AM

I think we should just be thankful that there is a free place to post our pictures.

rockets ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 11:13 AM

I am very glad that there are sites that let us post free, but I can think of at 4 with no limits. As I said, Renderosity has always been my favorite and that's why I hate this new rule so much.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 11:15 AM

Here are just a few points to ponder ... Renderosity has 157,952 active members as of December 22, 2003 at 10:37 CST. Let's suppose if ... Only 1% of the members posted a new pic everyday, that would be 1,580 new pics each day. And if ... You were logged on to R'osity for 3 hours, you would only have about 7 seconds to view each picture. It takes longer than that to display a pic if you're on dial up! And if ... We assume the average pic requires about 250KB, then 1,580 pics would require 395MB. Then ... One year of pics would require about 144,175,000,000 bytes of storage. That's over 144 BILLION or 144+TB (Terabytes) !!! How much does that much storage cost? ... and ... How much does it cost to maintain and operate? ... and ... ......................... How much is is costing you??? ***** (end Doc's rant here) ***** The last time I checked, I have never spent a penny to post pictures here. THANK YOU Renderosity !!! Just a thought (or two). cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 11:18 AM

I understand the need to limit uploads, but I don't understand why they can't be more flexible about it. Why not allow, say, five a week, instead of just one a day?

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 11:19 AM

One per day is easier for the s/w to keep track of ... ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 11:21 AM

The clock resets at midnight and ... Ding ! You can post another pic. (big smiley face here) ;=] <-------- little smiley face here

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

rockets ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 11:27 AM

I understand what you're saying geep, but when it was being discussed the admin. said several times that it wasn't because of cost, but because there were those who complained and wanted to view every single picture that was uploaded to the galleries everyday. So here we are and I doubt that those people are viewing every single picture.

geoegress ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 11:39 AM

GB

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 12:08 PM

I have come to the conclusion that the more you make free to people, the more demanding they get. It is true in the world of public service (ask any librarian how outraged patrons get when they have to pay a fine for books they have kept other people from being able to check out by keeping them past their time) and it is certainly true here. I think one a day, 365 graphics a year, 3,650 graphics a decade is quite a generous allowance for any person...and more than enough if the person is doing really thoughtful, careful creation. But that's just me. And I'm feeling really cranky today.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 12:37 PM

Err, point of order: PoserPros has a one image per day limit. Renderotica has a three image per day limit, but guess the subject matter? 3DC I think has a limit as well... I can post as many images as I want, of almost any subject matter I want... I have total creative control, and I can ban any human being my cold black heart desires. However, I pay $10/month and my bandwidth cap is at 6GB, then it becomes $5/GB after that. :) By the by, if you can pump out more than 1 solid artistic image per day, how on earth can you do it? No accusations here, but if you have the time to do up to 3 per day, imagine what one very-well worked-on image would look like by comparison? :) /P

rockets ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 1:16 PM

Well like I said, mine is an unpopular opinion, but just had to vent and get it off my chest. I know the decision has been made and we have to live with it, but don't have to like it. I guess free is all in how you look at it. I would think that everytime we buy something from the marketplace that we're contributing to the site...but then again what do I know. Btw, 3DC has a limit of 3 uploads per day. I couldn't find anything at PoserPros saying what their limit is.

igohigh ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 1:23 PM

I like the point someone earlier pointed out: Who can possibly crank out 3 worth-while renders per day worth posting? (unless of course their just profiles that took no time at all to set up and required no post work....) I think 1-ADay gives more folk an equal oportunity to share and since it's free; what gives anyone the right to complain?

FishNose ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 1:41 PM

Phew thank goodness only one image per day is allowed. The gallery is creaking from the weight of all 150 000 members already - posting or looking. And it's free after all. So instead of posting everything you render, pick out the best one every day and post that. What a strange thing to complain about, 'only 1 image per day' lol. :] Fish

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 1:44 PM

" ... what gives anyone the right to complain?" They have that right, igo .... BUT ... The DO NOT have the right to be listened to !!! ;=] Now, where's my 98 cents change fer my buck? ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 1:45 PM

Good one(s) /P. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

stallion ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 1:49 PM

Plus some were saying that their post were getting buried so quickly that they were not getting viewed which as the DR mentioned if 1500+ people posted multiple pics it will take no time before your post was so far down those on dial up would not wait around to view 14 to 15 pages of pics too time consuming but I know what you are saying I try to look at as many as possible but so many pics so little time

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 2:09 PM

I don't post pics in the gallery here anymore because ... When I first came here, you could post a pic and it (sometimes) stayed on the first page for a day (i.e., 24 hrs) or so ... Now, you post a pic and it's all the way down on page 7 or 8 within an hour. What fun is that? ............ Huh? ;=[

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 2:10 PM

Answer: It's NOT !!!

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 2:19 PM

If there are other sites with no limits, they may eventually get swamped with quickies, with people dumping several images per day. Then they are forced to cut back because they can't afford giving away several gigbytes per day of bandwidth. I wish I had a peseta for every site that has gone under due to bandwidth costs - I'd be one hombre rico. But seriously, I'm pleased with the restraint people are showing. With 100,000 artists here, they could be swamped out if everyone posted one per day - meaning 100,000 images per day. But they're actually posting much fewer than that - more like 200-500 per day total - anyway, it's less than 1,000 AFAIK.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 3:10 PM

So everyone who does NOT work in series are not REAL artists?!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 3:11 PM

Sorry to see you go because I would have liked to see some of your creations, but ... Have you considered ... That a person can select ... ... an individual artist ........ um, like you Ratteler, for instance ... ... and then view their private gallery ... ... without anything else "between" the artist's "masterpieces." The artist controls the order in which they are posted, no? ;=] However, having said that, I like this place, and I'm stayin'. cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 3:12 PM

Wowee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I qualifies then ..... I are a "real" artist 'cuz I do my tut pages in numerical order. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Phantast ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 3:21 PM

I still don't agree. I've done a lot of series (not posted here) that tell a narrative story, and I've still only posted one per day out of choice. No harm for people to wait to see tomorrow's pic. If there is REALLY a need for three to appear together, I would think it is such a rare case it hardly needs the site rules to be bent round it. Having an allocation per week or month that you could post all in one day completely misses the point, which is not burying other people's work. It doesn't matter if you haven't posted anything for seven days, 21 days, 101 days, if you post a bunch together it's tough on the guy who posted just before you.

Phantast ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 3:22 PM

Wow, cross-posted with ernyoka1 once and geep TWICE.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 3:30 PM

OOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo............. Wanna try for THREE !!! ;=

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 3:32 PM

] <----------- I missed that one, so here it is. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geoegress ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 3:42 PM

serial artist are welcome over at rendervisions.com

daverj ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 4:37 PM

That's over 144 BILLION or 144+TB (Terabytes) !!! <<< Sorry geep, but you're off by a factor of a thousand. 144,175,000,000 is 144GB not TB.

DarkElegance ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 4:38 PM

I guess Ill step in~gets on her deep water waders to not step in poop~ I really dont mind the one a day, time constraints now a days for me keep me from doing more then one a day heck most times now not even one a day. BUT I do see the fact that when an artist gets inspiration and the lightning bolt hits and you sit like a maniac at the puter{or canvas as I have} and you work like a ferret on crack for hours..heck days eyes bleary and paint going a mile a minute{or tweeks on a poser piece} and you suddenly find that the piece has taken rabid life and you have three..four FIVE...OMG a whole set of pics and you are like OMG yes yes YES omg YES I FINALLY LOVE SOMETHING I DID.. and you want to post and BAM you cant post them all...to take the very gust and gail out of your sails so to speak and go "one per day" it kind of smacks you on your paint stained cheeks. it would be like giving a prolific artist only one piece of paper..or canvas a day...sometimes that doesnt work. sometimes when it hits...it HITS and you ahve to get it out of your head show it..breath life into it! does that make sense? as for this being a free site...they offered it up...told us it was free...when we are here then they switch it. now the only thing that tweeks me on this is that {personal opinion} that those that were already members should of been allowed to keep the old standards..."grandfathered in" so to speak. as for the free thing again....well you have to realize something yes Dr.Geep is right about something..the whole cost thing. but you see it is a project that is paying into itself. you see you invite the artists in, they look at your market placec and purchase ..get all excited render something and WAMN someone else goes OMG that is COOL I JUST HAVE TO HAVE THAT goes and purchase it. {read what rendo makes on each sell and you will see the profit is rather sweet} and then the whole cycle happens again and again and again and the ARTISTS are providing free advertising. not JUST at renderosity either. but at other poser sites..the post a pic with a renderosity exclusive and guess what..someone sees it and goes OMG I HAVE GOT TO HAVE THAT...goes and POOF finds renderosity and guess what SPENDS MORE MONEY. so sorry I do not feel one bit guilty for not being satisfied with the deals rendo slips to us artists.. with out each and every one of us the good and the bad they would not make nearly the profit margin they do. they get free advertising from each and everyone of us. even the free things they get goods from..how? guess what someone goes through and sees a texture for so and so or this or that and guess what....OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THAT THAT IS SO COOL ...BAM next thing you know they are at the MP..and again.......MORE PROFIT. so now they are using the artists to make the free advertising..then CHARGING the artists to do it???? sorry no do not buy it. God this was afar longer post then I was meaningn to write ...I think I need to go back and make cookies............~wanders off~

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

rockets ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 4:46 PM

DarkElegance, thanks for your post...exactly what I think, but lack the brain cells to express it so well! One more thing, would you please send a cookie this way. :-)

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 5:19 PM

For the most part I like since it means less stuff to look through. Not tat I don't like looking but it just becomes a pain if you can only see 1/1000th of what is out there because three minutes after you look there is another 3 pages of posts to look at.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 5:28 PM

"Sorry geep, but you're off by a factor of a thousand. 144,175,000,000 is 144GB not TB." DAMN !!! Somebody's actually readin' this crap? ... an the ole Doc got caught! Well, you know how it goes ... a Megabyte here, a Megabyte there ... and pretty soon, it adds up to ... DISK OVERFLOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ! Anyhow, it was NaySayGuy that gave me that data and I didn't check it. It serves me right to trust that guy. ;=[ Anyone got a towel handy fer doin' some egg-wipin'? (embarassed) cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 5:30 PM

'Sides, my data had a margin of error of +/- 10^3, so there. ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

daverj ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 5:33 PM

LOL! Well that explains it.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 5:36 PM

Actually, I did that on purpose just to see if anyone had read it. (sure, sure, geep, tell me another one, will ya, ha ha) Well, that sounds like a pretty good reason ............ ............. doesn't it? ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

FishNose ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 5:38 PM

If one produces so many images every day that one considers good enough to show to the world I ask this: 1. How much time did it take? Is it really a finished, fully fledged work? 2. Does it differ sufficiently from other works by the same artist to justify exposure - or is it the same gazebo with much the same Vicki in a similar dress holding her hands in the air in a slightly different way? Or is it a completely NEW composition, a completely NEW idea at the sight of which others might say 'WOW! That's nice!' instead of 'U-huh, seen this before... two hours ago....' 3. Do you have a life? I dunno, even a render a week is way more than I have time for. But then, one composition with resulting final render & post etc may take me up to 30-40 hours before I think it passes the test. And also, I have kids with loads of math homework, a relationship, a job, a house, shopping, taxes, shoveling snow etc. Maybe I'm unusual here? Is it necessary to expose EVERYTHING one produces? Does it give the viewer something new, or just an 'uh-huh, I recognise this.......' - In other words, think of the viewers, what they might want from the gallery, not only from the view of the posters... 4. And specifiaclly to Ratteler - Ooooooh so you're a REAL artist! Gee, can I have your autograph? lol! That's hilarious, us other mortals who post only ONE! IMAGE! AT a TIME! are just jerks... oh wow. :] Fish (the extremely non-artist if that's the measure of it - I post one per month on average so I'm a total dork)

FishNose ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 5:43 PM

My coments are not aimed at any specific individual - apart frm my response to Ratteler. My comments are all general, just thoughts worth considering when making the 'to post or not to post' decision. (I like a good argument and I hate flaming wars) :] Fish

Porthos ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 6:07 PM

Wouldn't it be fun if you saved up the days you didn't post, and used them to upload future images! ;O)

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 6:20 PM

IN ONE DAY ?????????????? GOD HELP US !!! ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 6:21 PM

That wouldn't be "fun," that would be GRIDLOCK ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

nomuse ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 6:37 PM

Saving up all the images I'd made in the past four years and posting them on one day? (Best Higgens immitation) Oh, my, god. That would be....ah...almost four images! Seriously, I've been working away doing character studies and trying out ideas and experimenting with software and doing test images of works-in-progress. I've shared those in forums on occaision but I'm not feeling the need to cast them in bronze, frame them, and put them up on the wall for all to admire for ever and ever. I'd rather wait until I've finished something.

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 7:22 PM

I agree with Rockets. I don't like the 1 a day policy. I think there are a fair amount of artists on this site that can produce 2 excellent images a day. I think this site was created and sustained by the artists who kept posting fresh new images. I don't think they should have to pay now.

millman ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 7:41 PM

Don't understand the uproar, but I don't consider myself an artist either. SOme time ago I posted one, cabin in the fog thing, only took me three weeks to get it to that stage, and I'm still working on it. Scenery is almost done, getting ready to try to inject the actors. Probably another month before I admit I can't do any better. Probably not "art" maybe not even a good illustration, except for what I want. 1800 lines of code cut to 1400 as elements I thought "essential" were found to be only clutter, but I'm starting to like the way it's coming out now. Too many years of shooting many rolls of film per day, and finding there was one image that was worth working on, then spending many hours in the darkroom, and many dollars for chemistry, trying to make the "perfect" print. Point: If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. Mass production is what I did for a living, even the finest of the mass production items could not be considered art. Even 1500 images per day is more than I have time to look at, and I have DSL.

JVRenderer ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 7:45 PM

Well, Ratteler, You can always tile your 3 images into one large image and compress it to less than the limit allowed. what's it now 512K? That way, you still can show your images in serial. Well, you'll probably will come back with: "I like my image to fit the screen" or "I don't like my viewers to scroll" Well, I think compromise is an artform. Just my $0.01 The governator took the other penny. :o)

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

Replicant ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 7:49 PM

One a day is mildly irritating. No more than that. Of course I'm not one of these artists that can turn out three or four good pics a day. One is my usual. VERY occasionally everything works right for me and I'll find myself with two or three in a day. But on those occasions theres always been one that was the obvious choice. I like the limit. It means I have a few spare pics up my sleeve for the days when nuthin' works and I produce garbage.

Expert in computer code including, but not limited to, BTW; IIRC; IMHO; LMAO; BRB; OIC; ROFL; TTYL. Black belt in Google-fu.

Himico ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 8:57 PM

Poser gallery has too many pictures. I prefer to have a strong limit. It is fine for me even one per a week. It may be better.

If our art style is to produce lots of nice pictures like photographer, and really want to show them, we can open our own website. Pick up best one among the many good pictures, submit it, and give link to the website. Someone who want to see more, can visit the site.

DarkElegance ( ) posted Mon, 22 December 2003 at 9:35 PM

~makes a plate of cookies and her rum brownies and slides it to rocket~ ok as for quality I dont think any of us are uploading every single poser render we have done. I know I actually had to get another hd just to hold nothing BUT my pz3s and half done post work why? because once you lost the inspiration it is gone ....lost bye bye but I am a pack rat and cant bare to part as one day it may hit me again. most of us..those that have settled down abit know what is postable and not..we do not go "I GOT HER TO LOOK LEFT OMG I HAVE TO POST THAT" but like I said ..sometimes you DO get the inspiration to do multiples. sometimes it is ment. the thing is what would you do if you were only given one piece a paper a day? I know some will say" I will use that paper to the best of my abilities making it truely worth while" ...hmmm..try it. try only using ONE piece of paper a DAY and see how long the frustration will take to set in. sometimes...guh...you just get it..and you have pics..and you feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllll them and you want to share...come on! I can not be the only one that gets that! I have seen the work by the people here...ok most of them..in this thread even! work that makes you go O.O when you FEEL it and it flows....dont you ever wish to just let it go ramapant and show what came of it? all at once? sometimes it has to be all at once because the FEEEL of it the mood the emotion that it speaks..... OH and for the cooking comment~smiles~ I have been cooking for three days straight and trust me at 5 batches of cookies a day I do pretty good..peacan lace cookies, double fudge caramel sandwhich cookies....orange rum pinwheel cookies...not something you just kmake from a box...but see when you get the feel and you know what you are doing it flows..it doesnt take days to produce one batch~winks~ some of us can do that with poser as well.

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.