Sat, Sep 21, 9:12 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: NEW POSING DISCOVERY - A STEP-BY-STEP IN FREESTUFF

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2000 at 2:25 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:02 AM

file_132830.jpg

OK, just to avoid people asking over and over again what it is, etc, I've posted an html in Freestuff (pose-tweak). this is not, repeat NOT a technical tutorial. it just says what I found with a step-by-step guide on how to do it. if you want tech info, ask Storm. hope this helps. maclean

Nance ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2000 at 8:54 PM

Ok, this may sound a tad snotty, and for that I apologize, but I give up. Have I missed something actually new here that is not merely the standard animation capabilities which are all quite thoroughly described in the manual starting on page 206? I realize that not everyone uses these but all this "New Discovery" talk is a bit like taking credit for "discovering" morph targets or texture mapping. Poser's animation capabilities and "tweening" are really an essential part of the basic program for most of us which is probably why no one ever thought to describe it here before. For those not into reading or (uh-hmm) who don't own the manual, then just open the animation drawer at the bottom of the Poser screen. The short-cut keys you have "discovered" are all represented as buttons there. Try it. It's pretty intuitive and somewhat easier than the process you have described in your tute.

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2000 at 9:37 PM

Nance, thanks for your input. I would just like to point out that 'new discovery' means new to me, and judging by the posts, to a few other people too. you may or may not have seen it in the html, but I did mention that all this stuff may be well-known to anyone into animation, which I am (obviously) not, so I guess that explains a lot. I'm just a bit behind in all this stuff, so be patient with me and the others who aren't animators. I'm not trying to take credit for something that was blind luck. and yes, I do (uh-hmm) have a manual. maclean

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2000 at 12:16 AM

Sorry - don't know what came over me! I just re-read my post and it does sound pretty pissy. Seems I both misinterpreted your use of the phrase "new discovery" and under estimated the number of users, both nubies and some old-timers, who were unaware of the potential of Poser's basic animation functions. None the less, my tone was indeed uncalled for. In the words of Roseanne Roseannadana... "nevermind" btw - did you try doing the same stuff using the real controls in the animation drawer? Once you get the hang of them I really do think you'll find them much easier to manipulate than just using the hotkeys. Sheepish Cheers- Nance

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2000 at 12:47 AM

hey nance, don't feel so bad. we're all here to learn and to enjoy ourselves doing it. so I just learnt something...don't skim through the boring bits in the manual, they may not be that boring! I must admit I feel a bit stupid, now I know how obvious this stuff is, but my original post did say.... 'am I dumb or is this something new?', and I guess it was new to some people. anyway, the html is 116k, takes 30 secs to d/l and 30 secs to read. if someone already knew it, I wasted a minute of their lives and I'm sorry. yes I tried out the animation controls and it is pretty easy, although I'm a keyboard person myself (hate being mouse-dependant), and I do try to keep my screen controls to the absolute minimum, so maybe I'll stick with the keys. the main thing is, I know how to do it now, so let's just be happy. as you say "nevermind" maclean

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2000 at 2:58 AM

Well, I for one am glad this was posted. I've read the manual cover to cover several times and some things (magnets, grouping tool, etc,) just escape me. I read the instructions in the manual and go "Huh? Do What?" I find that step by step with screen shots works best for me and that just ain't how they do it in the manual at all. Heck, even Traveler's magnet tutorials didn't help. Kate

STORM3 ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2000 at 6:41 AM

Hi Nance I, while posting on this topic have had a paranoid suspicion that some of this may already be well-known to those into animation (and I have said so in a number of my posts). Chapter 9 and 10 (pp205-30 and pp231-242) of my Poser manual are in pristine condition as are the pages in chapter 12 on the Sketch Designer, while the rest of the manual is coffee-stained, dogeared and ragged from reading and re-reading. I read practically everything posted on the technical side of poser, posted both here and in the Poserforum and in newsgroups. I have downloaded every tutorial ever written for Poser and I save the posts on all aspects of poser (I turn them into Pdf documents) alongside the tutorials. To be honest I cannot recall anything ever posted on this topic with relevence to stills posing or how useful it could be, so it came as a complete novelty to me. My God when I think of the time I have spent making poses come out half-right when interpolating between existing poses would have done 80% of the work. I am sure many experienced Poser users are in the same boat because if you were not into animation, like me, you skipped the stuff. We have obviously missed out. I do not take any offence at all at your comments Nance, and in some ways I am gald no one in the know spoke up before now, as I would never have learned as much so quickly while trying to explore the potential of what we thought was an important new discovery. Perhaps aspects of it are new, and our frontiersman-like-approach, bright-eyed and all fired up, might lead to further discoveries. Experimenting with the stuff has led to me learning that you can cut and paste between various file types to overcome limitations imposed by the program (e.g. pasting camera data into pose files) and this may lead to other new findings. You can understand our excitement, because if this was really being done for the first time it would be a major new discovery. Anyway like maclean said thanks for the input and no offence of any type taken and I, in return, hope this post does not sound pissy and full of self justification, because the opposite is the truth. BTW Maclean great tutorial, makes it very easy for those confused by all of this. John Maas STORM

Schlabber ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2000 at 12:45 PM

Great thing - I've also a tutorial on my homepage (BTW: next update in about 1 and a half week - and ... well you'll hear when it is finished ...) http://schlabber.bizland.com

JanP ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2000 at 9:11 AM

Oh is that all this is about? I stayed up all night reading nearly all the poser rerlated postes across renderosity,renderotica and the 3D Commune, I surprised people could even purposly overlook thge animation parts of thge program. I mean when you save a pose it asks, by default wether you want to save one frame or all frames. That would imply that Poser can animate. I cannot think of any animation program that does not do tweening. Oh well. I hope your at least having fun. JanP

wal ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2000 at 9:23 AM

JanP, did you know how anoying this "save as one frame/all frames"-dialog is to me, as I almost always want to save one frame. I'm not doing much animations with Poser. And like me there might be many other people who have missed some of the animation-related features of Poser, although they also could make life easier for us. - wal

JanP ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2000 at 10:11 AM

Actually I never found it annoying although I've only once saved more than one frame. But that still blows my mid. The poser manula is not a very long read. its not like a 3DSMAX manual. I read the book from cover to cover once. admittingly I cannot say I rembered everything I had read. But being that Animation is Poser's key feature I found this issue of not being aware rather amazing. I guess thats just me JanP

seedpress ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2001 at 6:18 PM

Maclean:I can't find your "NEW POSING DISCOVERY - A STEP-BY-STEP IN FREESTUFF". Am I just a dummy? Could you post a link in this thread about same?

JKeller ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2001 at 11:36 PM

seed, this thread is from September of 2000, so it's not so "NEW" anymore. Might want to do a search for it.

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2001 at 9:51 AM

Gads!! Ain't the net wonderful. Embarrassed all over again - six months later. :-0

JanP ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2001 at 9:53 AM

Jeesh someones been reading way back. LOL

maclean ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2001 at 6:09 PM

Since I keep getting e-mail notifications, I suppose I'd better add a postscript to this. I've already replied to Seedpress, but just to clarify the whole thing, I deleted the HTML file along with all my other stuff when I moved to 3D Commune the day it opened. Every prop I've ever made is now available through 3D Comm EXCEPT this one. For the simple reason that I kept being told how everyone who was into animation already knew all about this, so I figured it would be no big loss, since you're all so well up on it. There were quite a few 'dummies' like myself who didn't bother to read the animation section of the manual, and missed this stuff, and a lot of them were actually quite happy that someone had taken the trouble to figure it out and explain it to them, so it wasn't altogether wasted. If anyone out there has a copy of the HTML....make an effort and send it to Seedpress, because I no longer have it. As for being embarrassed....I'm not quite sure who's supposed to be embarrassed here...but it sure ain't me!! As I said, I'm a dummy and I make no apologies for it. Evidently there are still a few others like me. A year later, I'm still a dummy in many things, but I have no problem with that. When you think you know everything, you learn nothing. maclean

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2001 at 7:34 PM

No! No! I meant me - not you. Nothing for you to be embarassed about! However, this was the one time I recall Kindly ol'Nance really snapping smugly at someone in here, over what turned out to be very useful information to a large number of people. Thought this dark moment was long forgotten but now it's back embarrassing me once again. Hopefully someone still has the code. I do admire the contributions you have made to the community and am truly sorry I was not more clear mac. -Nance inserting other foot in mouth -- while wearing Bowler made by maclean

maclean ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2001 at 6:51 PM

LOL Nance......That comment of mine came out badly! I wasn't singling you out, so I apologise if it sounded a bit grumpy. As you'll know from my readmes, I never take anything seriously! But this thread must hold the Renderosity record for longevity! Hopefully, sooner or later, Seedpress will get the tute. maclean PS Glad ya like the props :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.