Wed, Sep 18, 10:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: PayPal Warning

sandra_bonello ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2004 at 2:23 PM

I am a PayPal user and never had a problem, but now I don't know. I don't really know any other payment method without loosig 1/3 of money, I am in Italy and it is a problem.

maclean ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2004 at 3:21 PM

Attached Link: http://paypalsucks.com/options.shtml

sandra, I'm in italy too, but I use a credit card when I have to buy online. If you can't do that, see the links for other companies who offer services like PayPal's. mac

DTHUREGRIF ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2004 at 3:00 AM

Exotica wrote:

{ Ok, well, maybe they haven't caught up with Renderosity yet, maybe but not bloody likely! I have a similar thread going on in the merchant's forum and not a single word has been written by Renderosity staff/admin even when specifically addressed. Now I find out that Renderotica accepts PayPal! They're either very, very stupid or very, very sneaky.}

Renderotica does NOT accept PayPal for any items in our store. We never have and we won't because of their rules.

PayPal states in their Additional User Agreement for Premier and Business Accounts:

{#6. Reserve Account in Case of Closure. If you or PayPal close your account, PayPal may retain a portion of any funds it holds in custody for you, based on your transaction history, as a reserve to the extent reasonable to protect PayPal against the risk of future reversals of transactions occurring prior to such closure. PayPal will pay you the balance of any such reserve 180 days after closure. }

This is common practice for merchant accounts. Believe me, I know from having dealt with several of them. Consumers have 6 months to file a chargeback on credit card purchases, so the merchant provider does this to protect themselves. If you disappear and there's a chargeback, they have to pay it. Do I like this rule? Not at all. But if you want a merchant account, you deal with it.

Do I think PayPal is being ridiculous in this case? Yes, I do. Do I think you will get anywhere with them? Probably not. It's like someone said. They aren't looking at individuals. They are blindly assessing risk, just like insurance companies do. It's unfortunate. And it isn't really true that adult businesses in general have higher chargeback rates. (In fact, I would bet good money that Renderotica's chargeback rate is significantly lower than Renderosity's or DAZ's.) However, by giving merchant accounts to fly-by-night webcam businesses who do tend to have high chargeback rates, they have set up a situation where all "adult" businesses have suddenly been painted with the same brush.

BTW, any online transaction for digital goods is considered a higher risk than a transaction for shippable hardgoods because you have no way of proving that the owner of the card is the one who actually received the merchandise. That's why many companies will not ship to an address that is different than the billing address on your card. Diane

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2004 at 3:21 AM

I'm still waiting for one of the micropayment groups to take off effectively. Paypal's methodology is not to my taste, but, as Diane noted above, is clearly stated and in line with common business practice. The catch, of course, is that I'm one of theose people who DOES read all that gobbledegook -- I always do, anytime I spend money and have to sign something or have someone else transact it for me. Right now I still have a C2it account, but it's so little used it's worthless. There are two that are currently operating that do interest me, however, and I think I will do more research on them and post the appropriate information. Paypal -- particularly since the buyout -- is too great a risk to me personally for conducting transactions. Now, I should note that my husband has an account, and has no problems with it. One of my kids does, as well. I don't. Nor will I. It's just too damned scary, to be perfectly honest. Or, more precisely: I do not feel that I can trust this financial services company which is totally unregulated and is not bound to the rules and practices of a regular financial services company to do business on my behalf. paypal is not a bank, not a savings and loan, and is not licensed as such. They are not subject to any of the standard accounting rules, regulations, and laws that govern everyone else who handles money. From a business standpoint, I just can't get myself past that one. Sorta leaves me feeling like I'm flapping inthe wind. Which is not to say they are necessarly bad people, just that I don't trust them. :)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Exotica ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2004 at 8:36 AM

Diane: Someone had posted that Renderotica accepts PayPal. If not, good for you! ynsaen: I guess it is wise to read "the fine print" but then again I didn't think I had anything to worry about seeing as I had the business account for 3 years. In any case, I thought it best to let people, like me, know exactly what the risk is with doing business with PayPal. I was lucky that I didn't have any money in the account when they froze it. In the entire three years that I had the account, I received funds only 5 times so I highly doubt "I" owe them anything even if someone does do a chargeback. Beware folks, beware.

kamion ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2004 at 5:47 PM

never use PayPal, very happy with me creditcard... but but bankers who wanna be preachers.... stuff it I would say.

ratscloset ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2004 at 9:14 PM

FYI: The reason a lot of companies will not accept Visa for Annual Fees is due to the Terms of Service for when the money can be charged by both Vis and Master Card. DAZ's PC might fall into one of those things that they would have to hold the funds in an escrow account and only withdraaw for each installment. I have ran into this with some ISP's in the past. It creates cashflow issues and accounting headaches for the Vendor. Discover is a different animal, therefore different rules. ratscloset

ratscloset
aka John

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.