Thu, Oct 3, 6:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Poser 5 Displacement and Zbush 2

quinlor ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 12:31 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 9:17 PM

file_105389.jpg

Hello,

I got ZBrush 2 some days ago, and I am really impressed with the possibilities. The image uses a Zbrush generated displacement map and texture on the DAZ M3 Tunic. The different look of the metal and leather where done with a complex P5 shader tree.
There is only one problem: A 8 bit grayscale has only 256 shades of gray, to little to get really smooth displacements. Zbrush exports 16 bit, but Poser uses only 8., I assume because the Image node only supports 8. The effect can be seen on the armor scales.

Does anybody know a program that can separate the upper and lower 8 bits of a 16 bit TIFF and save them as two 8 bit bitmaps? I assume it would be possible to recombine them to 16 bit values with math nodes (that seem to use more than 8 bit) in Poser.

Stefan

Treewarden ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 1:00 PM

Impressive, most impressive... :)

numanoid ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 1:32 PM

That makes up my mind, I am getting ZBrush 2. That program is rocking.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 3:51 PM

Stewer would know more about this than I would, but I'm excited about the possibility of working in Poser with a LOW res versions of Mike or Don, and just applying a Zbrush displacement map to give them the hi-res details. I don't know if you'd be able to do that without being able to utilize the 16 bit maps, but if it worked, then that would be most incredible. Same thing with Vicki. Think of working with a low res vicki in the P5 environment (how much faster workflow would be) but come rendertime, your displacement map made in Zbrush would add the hi-res details to the model. Something like that could open a whole new world of possibilities with P5. This is possible in other programs with Normals mapping, and might work here as well.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

quinlor ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 4:40 PM

file_105390.jpg

Ok, I figured out a way around the 8 bit problem. I will write a tutorial as soon as I find the time, but that are the basic steps: Open the 16 bit tiff in Photoshop and save in RAW fromat, ignoring all warnings. Open the RAW file. In the dialog that appears tell photoshop that it has two interlaced bit channels. You have now a file with two channels, one containing the lower and one the upper 8 bits. Add one empty channel and change the mode into RGB. Save as this file. In Poser load this file in a Image node. Plug this node in 2 component nodes, setting the component in first node to 0 and in second to 1. With math nodes divide the second node with 256 and add that the first. Subtract 0,5 from the Sum (because Zbrush uses 50% gray as neutral and Poser uses 0). Plug that in displacement.

The jaggies still there are caused by the fact that I did my Zbrush model at a bit low resolution: Only 450000 Polys.

Stefan

quinlor ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 4:42 PM

file_105391.jpg

The shader:

Jeff01 ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 10:27 PM

file_105392.jpg

Credit to Michael 2, TJS Muscle Maps and Quinlor's 16-bit solution from Photoshop (image 50% jpeg quality, and the skull bone should be under the muscle, but what the hey) -- Poser 5, of course.

Valandar ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2004 at 12:29 AM

Okay, now THAT is scaaaary...

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

PheonixRising ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2004 at 12:40 AM

Cool thread. Yes displacements rock antonfindmelater

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

stewer ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2004 at 5:20 AM

This is really cool. How much is ZBrush again?

noggin ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2004 at 1:30 PM

Wow this is pretty exciting_having just got ZBrush2 this is a great tip. Does anyone here know whether DAZ Studio intends to support displacement mapping and if so at what bit-rate? (I must go and ask over there but thought some-one here might know?)

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2004 at 2:06 PM

The jaggies still there are caused by the fact that I did my Zbrush model at a bit low resolution: Only 450000 Polys Ouch ... just checking to see if that might be a typo and that perhaps you meant 45000? Considering that the Millenium 3 figures are about 20-25% that size, 450,000 would be "hi res" in Poser's eyes. Still -- this is one of the most intriguing aspects of ZBrush 2, and one that I will DEFINITELY be playing with very soon. 8-)

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2004 at 2:08 PM

Want another cool ZBrush 2 new feature recommendation? After you load or create an object, check out the Tool > Deformations > Smart Resym option. It will add symmetry back to models that are out of symmetry. I tested it on P5 Judy's face and it worked remarkably well. 8-)

quinlor ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2004 at 3:34 PM

Hi Deecy, the 450000 polys where the Zbrush hi-res mesh I used to create the displacement map, in poser I use the original DAZ mesh with the displacement map applied. 450000 would be the death of poser. Zbrush would be able to handle much bigger meshes, but I got a memory problem, because I am still on Win Me. You need big meshes in Zbrush to create smooth displacement maps. With this maps you can add the details to the low res models in Poser (even V3 could qualify as low res in this context). And thank you for the tip, that will be useful, for doing morphs and for other things. Stefan

byAnton ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 3:11 PM

AKmaterialroombookmark

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Valandar ( ) posted Tue, 07 June 2005 at 4:49 PM

Sorry, but I'm a mite confused about how to handle the whole RAW thing in Photoshop. Specifically: "Open the 16 bit tiff in Photoshop and save in RAW fromat, ignoring all warnings. Open the RAW file. In the dialog that appears tell photoshop that it has two interlaced bit channels. You have now a file with two channels, one containing the lower and one the upper 8 bits. Add one empty channel and change the mode into RGB. Save as this file." #1: If I tell it that it has two interlaced channels it gives me a warning that this is smaller than the original file, and ends up looking like a TV image that has lost the vertical hold. #2: "Save as this file" - in what format? TIFF, TGA, RAW,what? #3: If this is for distribution, where it really should be a jpg file, is this method moot, anyway?

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 07 June 2005 at 4:52 PM

Hmmm ... Poser also reads PNG files, which can hold alpha information. I wonder if that would work?

face_off ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 2:36 AM

#1 - load in as width and height of the original image, count 2, interlaced, 8 bit. #2 - Any format - doesn't matter. I save as jpg. #3 - see 2 above.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

Valandar ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 8:22 AM

file_105393.jpg

Okay, I need a more in-depth explaination here... I took a 16 bit tiff of the map I'm working on (on the left), and saved it as a RAW, interleaved. I loaded it as the correct height and width, count 2, interleaved, and it looks like the image on the right. Ergo, what happened?

face_off ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 5:06 PM

Are you using Photoshop? PaintShop Pro won't do the same trick.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

Valandar ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 7:59 PM

I'm using Photoshop 6. Do I need 7 or CS to pull this off?

face_off ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 10:21 PM

I'm using 7. Did you use the parameters I listed above in #1 when opening the RAW file?

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

Valandar ( ) posted Wed, 08 June 2005 at 11:26 PM

Yep. The correct height and width, count 2, interleaved.

face_off ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 2:12 AM

Mmmmm, well something very strange is happening. You can email me the original file if you like and I can convert it.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 09 June 2005 at 2:54 AM

Eh, it's not quite finished, yet. And I'd rather figger out how to do it myself in case of future scenarios... But thanks, anyway!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.