Thu, Sep 19, 7:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce crashes my computer faster than a ornlu render on roids...

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:08 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 11:21 AM

something's wrong here. i formatted, reinstalled, and now the computer simply shuts down. I'm talking off, out, kaput, end of story shutdown, as if someone pulled the plug out of its... ahem... behind. Sorry, I've been using another term while kicking it around the house. Something tells me it's the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 card. It's never happened to me before. BUT LAPPY GOT PWNED!!! :( Drac (annoyed and restless in Seoul)

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:17 AM

I bet the poser forum hacked in. Have you pissed anyone off recently? Sorry, not helping much, but a hardware expert I'm not.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:28 AM

i wouldn't consider the poser-ites smart enough... kidding. and i'm a politics major. i can't help not piss people off. Drac

rj001 ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 4:56 AM

have you defibrilated the interositer, usualy solved by a bic two-four-three formation....... (although i may be making this stuff up.)

Experience is no substitute for blind faith.

http://avalon2000.livejournal.com/ - My Art Blog

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 6:28 AM

defibrilates rj phillistines... Drac

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 6:30 AM

Speaking more in the way of empathy than diagnostics but I had black-screen-of-bad-motherboard-itis a couple of years back. Frustrating but at least it was under warranty/sc. Dell threw three replacements (refurbs..) into it before finally just sending a whole new laptop.

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 6:42 AM

euh. that's scary :/ drac

rj001 ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 7:01 AM

time to get the pencils out

Experience is no substitute for blind faith.

http://avalon2000.livejournal.com/ - My Art Blog

Erlik ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 7:20 AM

Yup. A comp simply shutting itself down is Not A Good Sign. Can you boot in Safe Mode?

-- erlik

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 7:20 AM

ok..now that I reread the part about the laptop being gone, it could be a faulty power supply. Depends on the circumstances..another thing to check is how far it gets into the boot process, past POST, into the OS, up to Bryce? Any weird beeps or error codes, etc? Another possibility is the temperature setting on the system board bios, had a PC do a swan dive into doorstop status whenever the temperature got up too high (but usually you'll get alarms with that). I think most modern computer OS's have a 'log' feature, that you can capture what has loaded vs what hasn't, at least I know Linux and the later Windows versions do..I'd contact the manufacturer's tech support, that's what they get paid for.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Ang25 ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 8:09 AM

I've got a problem too, since last November, err. My computer indescrimanently decides to shut down and restart with no warnings. I've cleaned the harddrive, its been reformatted (too many times to count) its not a virus. It usually happens in conjunction with playing music. Doesn't matter what music program or if its off a cd or the harddrive. And occassionally it'll happen without the music playing. Its very fustrating. Happened a lot when I had Bryce loaded then not so much when I installed the Bryce patch, but I just can't pin down what's causing it to happen. And to make matters worse it will sometimes only close out of a program, ie just psp or just mozilla. And sometimes it will give an error message, although I haven't gotten one of them in several weeks. Its like its possessed. This is one of those pieced together PC's and I've already gotten the motherboard replaced 3 times, don't have a clue what to do now, so I feel for ya Drac. At least if its from a company they should be able to fix it up for ya. Ang

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 9:32 AM

thank you all. the comp doesn't restart. it just shuts down. completely. it's a laptop, so i know giving it to render something with a light dome IS pushing it, but it's been able to pull it off before. there's no error messages in the administrative tasks or whatever it's called, which leads me to believe that it's a hardware issue of some importance. drac (ang, from the sound of it, your sound card is screwed up)

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 10:05 AM

Can you describe the noises it makes in the three seconds between your powereing up till it quits? 8) And if it is three seconds or less, oh yea -it's spanked... And what are you on now your PDA?

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 10:14 AM

it doesn't make ANY sounds. the mobo just loads up its usual batch of (extended) tests, everything is fine, and I can restart it. Windows boots up normally, no problems, etc. so i'm writing it from the computer in question. His name is Lappy. And he's a cheap 5 dollar hoe. Drac

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 10:33 AM

Do you have a good rollback config saved that you can go to? (sternly) Don't make me have to talk to you about good configuration managment young man. (When mine went all I got was the sound of drive starting to come up to speed, a click, and then the sound of it winding down.)

attileus ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 10:57 AM

My baby (laptop, Siemens-Fuj.) did the same a week ago when I started to render in Bryce (became terrible hot and shot down) so I lifted the rear and under it I placed some pieces of metal for better cooling; now it works well.

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 11:20 AM

hmmm... that might actually be an idea... thanks attileus miller, i don't back up my stuff. hell, i don't even save my works on the hard drive. drac

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 11:32 AM

Well, once a month, more or less, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to go to 'control panel/performance and maintenance/system restore/create restore point' and create one...

Jaymonjay ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 11:55 AM

Maybe a power management issue, or a faulty battery/power supply as pakled suggested. Are you certain you have all of the correct drivers installed for your vid card?

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 12:16 PM

If Bryce crashes the computer 1/3 to midway in a render then it's probably this. If not, then you can disregard the post as it's something else... Bryce likes processor cycles doesn't it? What does heavy processor usage do to the processor? Hmmm... Yeah, it gets nice and hot. Doesn't it? What do some of the newer 'puters do when the processor gets too hot? They shutdown to protect themselves. Theres a few ways to fix this (mostly for desktops.) One is to adjust the processor temp limits/reduce clocking/or disable protect via BIOS (if it lets you.) (AMD seems to run a bit hotter, but they're also a bit more tolerant of heat too.) The other is to get more cooling fans. One more I can think of is to have a case w/ high airflow, or remove the cover and have a desk fan cool the thing while rendering. And perhaps moving to a cooler room is the last option. Other things I could think of with a laptop are power management issues (cycles down if "inactive") and a bad cell if on battery power (battery shows up fine on power meter, but doesn't last worth **** because of the bad cell.) Might also want to check the memory too, sometimes they can get loose if not plugged in all the way.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

attileus ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 12:23 PM

Another idea: if you render and the proc. gets too hot (check the rear) place the laptop on a few cans of cooled coke/beer :-) - it did the job for mine when it shut off suffering from overheating...

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 12:23 PM

system restore is the first thing i disable when i reinstall windows and there's nothing anyone can say that will make me waste 3 gigs out of a 30 gig drive and 30% slowdown of most computer functions just so i can have a safe puter. moving on... right now the bottom of the comp is hot as hell. it's a p4. and it's plugged in. i need to find a way to monitor and reduce the cpu thing. preferably find out if this thing has speedstep or not. drac (thank you all again)

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 12:37 PM

i just came back from the dell forums. apparently it's a design flaw with dell 5100s. the heatsink gets clogged with dust. pure and simple. thank you all for your generous help :) drac

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 1:50 PM

All that navel lint probably doesn't help matters (sternly) don't make me have to talk to you about good personal hygene...

Ardiva ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 2:26 PM

lol@dd

DJB ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 2:39 PM

Let me tell you what happened to me.... When I got my new PC and the ATI All in wonder my PC would just shut down without warning,Took it back and they put a new hard drive in.Tried a new powersource.When I took it home, that all stopped.Also I believe he got an update on the driver for the ATI card. Been good so far.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 2:43 PM

Attached Link: Mother Board Monitor.

My laptop crashes if I render anything more than a chrome sphere over a reflective ocean. I downloaded a util that can keep track of the heat and will warn you if the CPU is overheating. Kinda pointless in the end. It's like a pilot telling you the plane is about to crash. Ain't a lot you can do about it. But anyway, here's the link. In the end I bought a laptop cooler off ebay. Two USB powered fans on a tray really. It sucks! But I managed to "adapt" it (sawing the fans off) and now have the additional fans resting on the vents. Much better.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

sdnoble ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2004 at 6:20 AM

I have seen Bryce do exactly what you describe Drac. Both the symptoms and the sudden onset after faithful service. The problem was the graphics card and it was precipitated by installation of Mojo World. Mojo World was not the culprit, merely the catalyst. New graphics hardware solved the problem instantly and the old card work fine with Bryce and Mojo World in another PC. Ensure you face east when installing the new card......

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2004 at 7:23 AM

lol

Ornlu ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2004 at 8:22 AM

Bah, using my name in vain again are you? Yeah, sounds like an overheating problem. Not as a permanent solution, but as a test, you might want to underclock the CPU/ram in the bios. If it no longer crashes, you atleast know what the problem was. In a pre-built laptop they usually make sure there are no hardware conflicts, so I wouldn't think it would be the graphics card (unless it's busted or something). Anyway, sounds like overheating. You could also run one of those cpu cooker tests and see if it restarts then. That would test for system instability in overheating without using the graphics adapter in the same way. Hope it gets better. Oops, just read the above message about the heat sink... Well... uh. Looks like that mystery is solved!

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2004 at 5:05 AM

Attached Link: http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpa-68.html

A sidepanel with fanholes (and some fans ofcourse) might help solve cooling probs

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2004 at 5:25 AM

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2004 at 11:53 PM

Looks at link provided by Rayraz Ummm, now if only there's somebody out there willing to give me the parts and continuously supply me with liquid N2. Heheh... Literally cool if not definitively so, but dunno if it's all that practical for everyday use. :)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.