Mon, Sep 9, 6:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce has a new home.

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 8:19 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 7:45 PM

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 8:21 AM · edited Wed, 23 June 2004 at 8:30 AM

Attached Link: http://bryce.daz3d.com/

And there she blows.

Message edited on: 06/23/2004 08:30

Digital WasteLanD

mikeberg ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 8:35 AM

Well, the best landscape software could not die. I hope Daz will do more than Corel just did when they bought it from Metacreations. I think I'm happy with this new direction Michel

Swade ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 8:38 AM

All I can say is this truely rocks in a big way. 8) I am doing and will continue throughout the day to do the HAPPY DANCE. 8) Looks like this is going to be for both Mac and Windows platforms too.

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

foleypro ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 8:44 AM

file_113802.jpg

Yep I was uploading this pic so folks could see... I am so Freakin happy I cant see straight...

zandar ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 8:45 AM

" New in version 5! Network rendering - speed up processing time by rendering your images on multiple computers at the same time" Bryce has network rendering? If that's true, I might have to dusty off my old copy that's been sitting around for years and give it a whirl for ol time's sake. ;)

mikeberg ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 9:11 AM

Well for those with version 4 of Bryce, I guess it's time to upgrade to version 5 (79,00$ US) don't you think ? yes, I'm very happy this morning !!! Michel

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 9:16 AM

@mikeberg -> just make sure you get the 5.01 update patch. Its an essential.

Digital WasteLanD

mikeberg ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 9:36 AM

Yes Flak allready installed (and without bugs) Sorry Vue users !!!

Swidhelm ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 9:46 AM

I could cry I'm so happy! Yip, I really could . . . in fact I think I am . . .

Pen_Is_Envy ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:08 AM

LOL I just got off the phone with Corel customer service and told them they made a great move with this one. I asked "did you happen to get a lot of customer, um, SUGGESTIONS" hehe, and of course the petition worked because Bryce will continue in development... Who knows... Bryce 6 out soon? Now it's possible. I think this is just fantastic too. Thanks for beating me to the punch on this announcement, Flak... there will be a lot of happy happy people. :)

Caly ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:11 AM

What's really great is that Daz does both Mac & PC software releases usually.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:14 AM · edited Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:15 AM

Wish i could cry of joy too, but the words about integrating it with some of DAZ products is far from good.
Chances are, that it will get labeled in the same cathegory as Poser. Poser is forbidden in almost all of the serious CG-competitions, and with an integration, im afraid Bryce will be too.

Message edited on: 06/23/2004 10:15

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

foleypro ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:34 AM

Ahhh ye Talk about that now but when it is shown that us "Hobbyists" can do almost as good as a job as the BIG BOYS now what will be said in the future when it is shown that our Baby software can do what they can but cheaper...Yes I know that Max and Maya Lightwave are main stream programs and they are used exclusively by the Higher End companies and everybody scoffs at Bryce and Poser...But just think at one time Max and Maya took over from some other Program in the start so maybe it is Bryce and DS time to take over...I hope I can be apart of this Happening for I am very tired of folks telling me I am just a Hobbyist when My stuff blows there stuff away,Hey I am just learning and I do wish that I could purchase the Higher End software so I could show what I can do...That is why I use GMax and MayaPLE...But I will galdly switch to DS and Bryce when they implement the ability to import Poser/DS animation into Bryce...And when they do implement the Lowpoly Modeler in Bryce I will switch completely to Bryce like I do now of course...I for one will keep pestering DAZ now to implement the Lowpoly Modeler and the Importation of Animations...You should too...Thankee DAZ and finally COREL...

Melansian_Mentat ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:41 AM

At long last!

Preston ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 10:54 AM

I really see this as great news. Hopefully, the folks at DAZ will get to work on importing Poser files without jumping through all the hoops. CastIron Flamingo's Grouper has been a real blessing but I still avoid importing Poser figures in if at all possible.

ranachronos ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 11:17 AM

Attached Link: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=5395

Now this looks interesting .... DAZ|Studio file "imported into Bryce 5, using a beta of the new import plugin."

derjimi ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 11:22 AM

"DAZ considers Bryce to contain an important set of tools and is strongly dedicated to its future development. When correctly combined, DAZ|Studio, DAZ|Bryce, DAZ|Mimic, and innovative third-party plugins will synergize to form a powerful suite of products capable of creating the complete 3D virtuality." DAZ|Bryce??? Oh no, please stop it... this will be a total mess. J.

PJF ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 11:27 AM

derjimi, DAZ|Bryce just means Bryce by DAZ. Just as DAZ|Studio is Studio by DAZ.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 11:28 AM

Cool news! I am looking forward to what happens with this.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

SndCastie ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 11:35 AM

They already have a beta for importing DS files into Bryce you really need to check out the forums at Daz for Bryce and Brycetech and Dar are the new Moderators I would say we are in good hands :O)

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

roobol ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 11:45 AM

This could be good news, hope they will change more than just the packaging :-)

http://www.roobol.be

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 11:45 AM

wheee! and life just gets weirder :) should be interesting to see if DAZ tries to break into the Bryce content market as well Lyrre

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 11:57 AM

After browsing through their new forum, im bound to agree with derjimi. We seem to have the new Poser under development. No support from me!

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

derjimi ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:01 PM

PJF, if DAZ will edit and develope Bryce in future it will be a mess. Just remember Poser 5. But wait and see. ;-)

Yewston ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:18 PM

derjimi, DAZ has nothing to do with Poser 5. They do not provide support for any specific Poser 5 features in any of their models. It's a sticking point with some of the newer Poser users. I'm looking at this as being a good thing for Bryce at this time. But we will have to wait and see. TC

derjimi ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:19 PM

p.s.: even if DAZ is not responsible for Poser 5 - I still think it will be a mess. Changing the interface and so on... p.p.s.: where's the edit button?

derjimi ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:20 PM

Yewston, you were quicker qith the reply... ;-)

Swade ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:27 PM

Attached Link: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=5296

If you want to see something new in Bryce follow the link... "DAZ is about to begin development on version six of Bryce and we'd like your input. While we will only be to focus on a few keys issues in order to get a new version out in a timely manner (as a new version is quite over due), we would still like to hear all your ideas as many will be incorporated into the subsequent version. One of the primary issues of development for Bryce 6 will be that of importing DAZ content into Bryce seamlessly. We'd also like to know what other simple little fixes or changes you'd really like to see implemented. We'll comb through your list of ideas and pick the ones that are easiest to achieve for this next version, and then build up a more comprehensive list for the version after that. Thanks!, The DAZ Team"

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:34 PM

Post #24

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:43 PM

You guys DAZ has absolutely nothing to do with Curious Labs - the people who create Poser. If it weren't for DAZ Poser wouldn't have stayed as interesting all these years. From what I hear DAZ studio is already better than Poser5 - and unlike Poser5 it is not tied to an ancient code base. It has openGL and modern code that runs well. I am overjoyed that DAZ got Bryce - I think it is in good hands. If a huge company like Aiias bought it they would price it out of site and kill the reasons we all love it so well. DAZ (formerly Zygote) has been there a long time supplying content to Poser users and more importantly - hobbyists. They know this marketplace and enjoy providing tools for us. Bryce6 is in good hands! Scott

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:48 PM

Actually, ild rather see Alias buying Bryce than DAZ. Go through their forums, please. Most of the improvements suggested doesnt even have anything to do with Bryce, but how to easiest import Poser characters from DAZ studio. Who cares...?

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

pauljs75 ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:53 PM

Ahhh... So there finally will be a Bryce 6! About time! LOL! Now DAZ just has to figure out how to implement morphs, character rigging, and animation into the Bryce architecture. (Non-boolean modeling could be referred to OpenSource programs which work very well with Bryce.) The trick is to make it all work seamlessly without wrecking or breaking the interface or current Bryce features. Also if it's possible to keep it in the ballpark of the current price, they'll definitely have a hit.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Laurie S ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:55 PM

Some of you amaze me.. here is a cold hard fact.. Bryce was dead.. all that was left was for the corpse to be buried. THAT made me nuts, add to that that if by some miracle another company did pick it up the chances of the community being involved with development the way Daz is already including them would be slim and none. The VERY first thing Daz did upon acquisition was contact as many die hard Brycers as they could, to get them involved. Bryctech and Dar are manning the Bryce forum at Daz and I know Daz is listening closely to their suggestions as well as suggestions from other Brycers. I may not post here often anymore but I have used Bryce since 98 and it is the program that I have always loved the best despite it's particular quirks, the fact that it was dieing was sad to say the least. Now there is hope for it, and not just hope that the program will survive, but hope that it will flourish. I am at least going to take a few moments out to be happy before I look at the cup as half full ;-)

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:57 PM

off to go needle the Poser forum..this is the most out-of-left-field development since the Season Finale of Star Trek: Enterprise..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

wdupre ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 12:58 PM

Frankly a lot of people care Rochr, and if you care about the future of Bryce why not speek up with your suggestions on what needs improvement rather then spelling the doom of bryce becouse some poser users want some things for themselves? Turning your back on a program you obviously love becouse of vague suppositions based on comments from other users makes no sense to me whatsoever.

attileus ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:04 PM

Attached Link: http://www.bryceformac.com/bryce6.htm

C'mon guys, don't be so negative...;-) If they're going to implement all the good stuff mentioned here (http://www.bryceformac.com/bryce6.htm) then I will be reeeally happy!

derjimi ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:05 PM

Laurie S: Before we get a crippled and raped Bryce 6 I'd prefer to stay at Bryce 5. A new version don't need to mean a good version. And I don't like to see Bryce totally Poser-ised and deformed in future. J.

MoonGoat ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:10 PM

We can all go spam DAZ with emails telling them what improvements we want and keep them from Poser-izing it.

Laurie S ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:14 PM · edited Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:16 PM

Who says that is going to happen? You have NOTHING to base that on.. were as I have every reason to be optimistic based on what Daz has already done..getting as many Brycers in the community as they can involved as soon as they can. Want to make sure the program is not raped.. guess what so do I , I am going to handle it by making sure Daz hears what I have to say, how are you going to handle it?

Message edited on: 06/23/2004 13:16

Swade ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:15 PM

scotttucker3d and Laurie S I tend to concur with your statements. 8) I am glad that Bryce is being resurrected. None of us really knows what to expect for sure.... but it may very well be something we really really like. I refuse to be negative about it. Happy Dancin' 8) Swade

jelisa ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:28 PM

DAZ has a wishlist thread in their new BryceTalk forum. Please use it to post what you'd like to see in Bryce and what you'd like to stay the same.

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:34 PM

Thanks Swade. Yes - and Rochr there is no penalty for sticking with Bryce5 forever - you are welcome to it and it will serve you well. I've seen your images everywhere I know this : ) What if DAZ does take Bryce to the next level? That is what we are all hoping for. If they don't Bryce5 will run on my machine for a long time - regardless. I think DAZ will listen to us like Corel never did - and that by itself is HUGE. As an artist and a provider of content for Bryce artists I am very happy with this news. Scott

derjimi ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 1:35 PM

Laurie S: "guess what so do I , I am going to handle it by making sure Daz hears what I have to say, how are you going to handle it?" --- Oh, I have already posted in the DAZ Bryce forum. Satisfied?

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:12 PM

Laurie S & wdupre, Turning my back on Bryce? Yeah, right. Ive just defended that app on every high end community on the web almost every time ive posted an image, simply beacuse its looked down upon and people confuse it with Poser. Can you imagine why i dont want anything Poser-like in it... The reason i dont care about Poser-features is that the suggestions should concentrate around IMPROVEMENTS in BRYCE. Easier Poser import is hardly an improvement, and not very important either. Besides, cant you import Poser characters into B5 already? Yes, ive left some suggestions, which will no doubt be lost amongs all the DS-import-, Change User Interface-, Poser 5 import-, Make it look like Vue-suggestions that are already crowding the forums. The forthcoming upgrade/version they mentioned, will tell me what way theyre going. I hope im wrong about DAZs intentions, i really am, but somehow i doubt it. I will remain sceptical, until i see some improvements.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

huskydog ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:20 PM

Yeay!!!! Bryce and Poser go together like bread and butter. I'm so happy happy happy!!!!!!!!

derjimi ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:31 PM · edited Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:33 PM

Rudy,

you are 100% right.

Changing the interface, make it not a Bryce 6 but a Daz Studio-PlugIn - that's what I'm afraid of.

DAZ don't want a Bryce 6 which stays on his own feet. DAZ wants an application where you can render your Poser models with. No morw, no less - I'd place a high bet on that.

In their eyes, it's only a tool to support DAZ Studio. And DAZ Studio is the main act.

Bryce should be developed by an independend company. Not one which is on the way to create and sell a Poser-like programm and wants to enrich it.

Poser? Well - quite useful. But it is like a puppet studio for me - not for creating, but for posing and rendering stuff you buy at places like DAZ. That's like buying a barbie puppet and dress her nice. And that's the problem.

J.

Message edited on: 06/23/2004 14:33

wdupre ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:51 PM · edited Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:53 PM

hmm, just becouse people want them to add features that they want doesnt mean that Bryce will loose any features that you like. Bryce has been languishing at corel for the simple fact that it does not make enough to support itself. Daz wants to expand the userbase which will make bryce more viable product for further development, becouse Bryce development was dead in the water before DAZ decided to purchase it frankly. As someone who uses both Bryce and Poser as tools for their art I welcome any further development even though I do have "higher end" tools.

my question is do you use Bryce to create art or to be respected by CG snobs that havn't realized that creation was the important part and not the means to that creation? I create art for myself and my customers I do not create art for the respect of people who feel the need to look down at other media becouse they chose to use one tool over another.

Message edited on: 06/23/2004 14:53

tjohn ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 2:57 PM

Some of us are making it sound like we would be required to use Daz models in the renders or that a new improved Bryce would somehow only work if there was a Daz Studio figure in it. Why would anyone change Bryce so we couldn't do the things we can already do now? Why would Bryce itself not be improved? (Faster renders etc. Things we've been dreaming about for years. Well, now the dreams could be more than just dreams. That's better than anything Corel offered us.) Why would Daz buy Bryce just to turn around and do something that would alienate the core Bryce user base they are trying to capture? There's no way for them to succeed in this without us. Think about it. The bottom line of business is business. They need us. I think some of us may be jumping to some very extreme conclusions. I will reserve my judgement until I have seen concrete plans of development. I am encouraged by the change. Having my favorite program in what seemed like permanent stasis was not a situation that was encouraging. Adapt or die. And none of this alters the fact that I have Bryce 5 to use for the forseeable future. John

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

roobol ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 3:14 PM

Ive been using Bryce since version 1.0 in 1996 (me thinks, Im a dinosaur, I know... :-) up to version 5 today, and the technology behind it hasnt changed very much over the past 8 years. Those who know my work know I have this thingy with mediaeval stuff, and it looks like Bryce is becoming part of that. Everything that I have made this year could equally well have been made with Bryce 1.0 (except for the tree lab, that is, and even that could use some improvement, if you allow me an understatement). Therefore, I think it is time for a major revision, and for me this means i) increased modelling capabilities, ii) increased texturing capabilities and, iii) increased rendering capabilities. Basically, things that I can do myself, not stuff that I have to buy. Ive added my wish list to the thread at DAZs and Im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, so Ill wait and see...

http://www.roobol.be

Mrdodobird ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2004 at 3:19 PM

Yeaho! Boolean models exported as 3ds. Yes. This sounds awesome!!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.