Fri, Sep 20, 7:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Military Reenactments..my simple thoughts.

TomDart ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2004 at 9:13 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:35 AM

file_114580.jpg

I go to military reenactments. A former coworker asked me early last year, Why would you find entertainment in watching the history of men dying? The simple truth is neither I nor my wife fine entertainment in that. We do find history. We do find pathos in emotion carried back in time to when it was and men and women did die. This simple conveyance of times gone to now is a link closer to reality of the past.

Reenactment..what of those who participate? The soldiers we meet are in general an historical lot. They know the events and study to know more. They feel a passion for those times now gone. They do in general have a feeling heart for what happened. One goal of most is to educate folks like me and others. Sure, they do entertain and present a scene to be viewed. They do want the audience to recognize the terrible truth of it all, the good of it all, and the history and living conditions of the soldiers and camp followers of the time. Believe me, well staged reenactments are history revisited, safely revisited without harm or danger.

When the heart jumps back and attempts to relive scenes presented, more truth sinks home of 23,000 dead men at one battle. Truth sinks home of Federal soldiers coming home on the Sultana paddle wheeler that blew up and sank above Memphis while taking home former prisoners and hospitalized soldiers. About 1700 died. Compare that to the Titanic and think again about history not reported and not known.

For the photographer, well-done reenactments offer wonderful images. Some simple ones are in the TomDart gallery. I do these images not as celebration but as reminders of human nature and nations. A Russian friend told me of a song the children used to singsomething like do the people want the war..the people do not want the war but countries and parts of countries sometimes do want the war. He is right on that. From almost any form of history we can learn.

Historical revisionists have little respect from me. Honest history is well respected, even if that history holds embarrassment and shame of times past. Surely, we move on and live a new life. Each day holds some opportunity for that.

Oh, Raisin Pitts! The grave of Raisin Pitts is in Frederick, Maryland. This same cemetery houses the tomb of Francis Scott Key, who in one sitting wrote both the Star Spangled Banner and the National Anthem.

avalonfaayre ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2004 at 11:13 PM

...and now I know the rest of the story. Thank you so much for posting this. There are alot of re-enactments around this area, but I never paid much attention to them. I think that I might now.

tallpindo ( ) posted Thu, 01 July 2004 at 8:41 AM

If the enactments can help explain how we got from the Civil War to lynchings in New york city at the turn of the century I certainly will acknowledge the perpetuity of the politics buried in the graves. Jesus said whe told a tower had fallen and killed some people. "Let the dead bury their own dead." Keep 'em coming the story is not yet all told.

avalonfaayre ( ) posted Thu, 01 July 2004 at 10:44 AM

You are speaking of when Jesus was choosing the disciples who would follow him. One asked if he could bury his father first, and Jesus then replied, "follow me and let the dead bury the dead". Matther 8:22 He was referring to the spiritually dead burying the physical dead. There will always be war. One can only hope that we can somehow learn something from it...and while we are referring to scripture, the word also says that in the last days there will be wars and rumours of war. So it was, so it is, so it will be. Wars are orchestrated and we all know it. Order from Chaos.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 01 July 2004 at 11:18 AM

tried a Civil War reenactment with a friend once.. got to try close-order drill (which is not meant for lefties..which got me the nickname 'shuffle'..;), a vignette (escaped Yankees, this was the 47th (I think) NC, and fire an Enfield..was fun..but it's pretty expensive to do to get 'the period rush'..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 01 July 2004 at 7:28 PM

Dear tallpindo, Certainly reenactments will neither raise the dead nor explain the politics fully. We do learn, I would hope in a positive way from such history. That is apparently one goal of many who put great expense and time into the role playing. This is a learning experience, truly, when we allow ourselves that liberty and get past the "events" only. If your note is an invite to perhaps expand a little on the thoughts, I will see about doing that. Before long you may have another article for comment. Pakled, yes, it is quiet expensive. At the 140th Gettysburg event last August, the participants were required to pay $10 a head to "participate" eventhough without them there would be no event. This applied to soldiers, families set up in tents and other "civilan" participants. God Bless. TomDart.

Charmz ( ) posted Fri, 02 July 2004 at 7:23 PM

He who does not learn from history is doomed to repeat it.. I think maybe that is the point you are trying to make?

avalonfaayre ( ) posted Fri, 02 July 2004 at 11:01 PM

I think that was well put!

nikabruzi ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 2:27 AM

Wel, the one caled by other ones; 'jesus' was not alone to fight Injustice. I know that the legend says that he would come back with a sword, but I think he shouldn't come alone, That is said in religious books, but... the effects ???...are not srong enough, because it rigtht, people are not adult-children at the same time. "I can help you out, but I cannot hek=lp you in.. little lambs who do not WANT to see th light which could BE IN YOURSELVES" and all that morals. Well,we'll see when people in the streets decide in the place of the "deciders" wanting their "happiness" after slaughtering the kids and raping the women. I am not participatin gto any military thing. Let's say that people of the world are much more powerful than NATO + China put together and allied, and they do not need to show their strntgh showing their guns, uniforms like the unique virility or masculinity militaries seem to really have in capiatlist countries. Pinochet is funny as a marionette, but after a while, he gave evidence that he was a catastrophy and that he never liked Chilian citizens; He would have loved to achieve a psychopathic megalomaniac drem that every dumb-head in uniform that was abused by so my things and people too_ in his childhood, and tries like a dumb-ass to prove that a uniform and a gun will make people obey him, or them. That never happens.. and if I believed in this story, I would say that there is a 'justice' that is hanging over the heads of all of us, if we do not act for other ones in the reality, meet and knowotheones, specially very differant from us_ and some US soldiers will come back from Iraq with the feeling they had been duped, and that the camel-jockeys' had some things very important to tech these 'adventurous' americans, instea dof being impressed by the opposite, the auto-"let's have good concinceness" somnifere-show of funerals by some 'ceremonial pious' attitudes, which can not hide that almost 2.000 (or more than that) American young lives were given for NOTHING, but the profit of a minority. But in this cases, I think the "Authorities" make the "blacks" go & die first for us,as usual... but not always, you see.... 2.000 deads on one side, how many civilians, children, women, on the other side ? Let's not try to count here, and show on which side the biggest Crime is. So you might forgive me for my bitterness. Thank you very much. I am sad to for the soldiers who weremad enough not to turn thei weapons against bad "orders". But this will happen. (...And maybe, precisely the "News" don't tell all either about this...We all know that these things happen, don't we ?)

avalonfaayre ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 11:19 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own views. It is true, war in its essence sucks. The causes are not often the wishes of the people. Some wars are necessary for the ultimate victory. As far as sending "Blacks" ahead? What country do YOU live in?? As I remember from my history lessons, one of the purposes in the Cival War was for the emancipation of the same. I think you are missing the entire point. War is, in fact, a manipulation of the government, or dictatorship. Something we ALL have to become either willing or unwilling participants in, in one way or another. It exists and neither you nor I will ever change it. The re-enactments are not necessarily to glorify it, but to remind us that the ends SOMETIMES justify the means. To remind us of the times, of the causes, of the end result. True, people lost lives...but what freedoms do we now enjoy because of that war? While I concede that it is not always the case, all is in control of a higher power. Viet Nam was not a war that in my opinion produced anything but a bunch of psychological and physiological malformations.(My brother being one of them.) I am pretty sure that there are no re-enactments of any of the battles that we were engaged in through that mistake. Did we learn anything from it? I don't know...Did we profit anything?...I dont know...I somehow doubt that anything good came from it. All wars are horrendous. All war is created by someone other than participants. All war produces death and disaster. I, too, have bitterness in my heart. I cry now over useless waste in Viet Nam. As for todays war? Since when is it NOT war when an enemy comes into your country to maim and kill civilians with a bloodthirsty agenda? It was war before it was declared. What we have to remember is that sometimes it is necessary. SOMETIMES it is necessary, regardless of what we want. I don't want my nephew to be in Iraq. Thousands of mothers don't want their sons and daughters in foreign lands, but if they don't fight, who will?...and how many more will die in our homeland? WE HAVE TO REMEMBER!....WE HAVE TO REMEMBER that SOMETIMES....SOMETIMES....it is worth it all. If I thought it was all in vain, I don't think I could bear it. As far as Jesus? Well, you really don't want to know. Like I said, we all are entitled to our personal opinions, and that's mine.

TomDart ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 8:15 PM

I am a Viet Nam era veteran. In retrospect, I was quite blessed not to go to Viet Nam and my views on that conflict are generally more directed at the now emerging development of that country in world market places. It seems the result for Viet Nam was nothing as predicted by those government leaders during that time. And yes, I do pray to God for peace in the hearts and minds of veterans on both sides who bear the scars today in body and mind. I lost several close friends in that war and saw one return with more medals than any one man could carry, but deeply scarred physically. This holder of several grape clusters died in a house fire, after many years of looking and finally finding peace at home. Irony is not the word for that. Certainly, I do not see Viet Nam or the current conflict of the United States and its few allies in Iraq being part of any sort of reenactment. A reenactment almost requires battle on a grand scale and a fight which did produce an accepted truth in the finale. The Revolutionary War in finding freedom from British rule is one example of accepted truth. Today, the Brits are a staunch ally of the USA. The Civil War was often brother against brother and was much more than a racial conflict. The racial reasons are often quoted but seeing the easier acceptance of racial mixing in the southern states than in many of the north makes me wonder. These wars were real in this country and overall the results were good and beneficial. Still, that does not make the horror of war any less horror or death any less than dying. Large forces of politics, moods and conviction of the people by such often lead to war. The people are often caught up in a tornado they cannot escape but to finish the war. Nations defending their own land have a different view, as would the Russians during the Second World War. The difference in the USA and the Russians at that time is the USA did as usual, withdrawing and returning the original remaining countries to their own rule. Japan has done wonders with this rebuilding so that made in Japan no longer relates to cheap articles but is taken now as the highest technology available. Russia kept those countries it went through until the Union was dissolved fairly recently into several independent states. I do not see wars of great importance but of strange quality being part of reenactments. This includes Viet Nam and the fighting in the Middle East. Too many ideas are involved to make a clear distinction of sides in some cases. Too many people are caught in that tornado of politics. And, the grand scale to the world or the individual countries is missing. The grand scale of troopers laid out in row after row is missing and sappers are difficult to reenact. Some of these wars simply cannot be reenacted and would best be left that way. These fights are too, too very close to the heart and memory now. A footnote, Custer was a Civil War general who went west in the United States. He will killed at a fight at the Little Bighorn. When that reenactment takes place, the Indians win. Indians is not a proper or fitting name for our Native Americans. Let us simply say, the Natives won one while eventually loosing to a government that was not very fair to them along the way or thereafter. Some of this was done with excuses history shows a part of many conflicts: Religon. In this case, Christianize or die. That is not Christianity, for any who might read this. Christianity is not an imposed religion but one of self will in developing faith. The excuse was religion. I see much of the same excuse in the Middle East though extreme interpretation of Muslim belief. Much of Islam does not agree with such interpretation. My friends include many faiths, though I do wish them to be as I am. Still, they do have free will and imposition of religion is a heritical reason for war. Any heart not given freely is not give at all but is imprisoned, IMO. So, imprisoned are those of a country in war of its own doing in fighting that war. Defense is a different situation altogether. God Bless. TomDart.

TomDart ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 9:21 PM

PS to my previous post.. When leaving work this evening on the drive home, the sky was full of ominous clouds, lightning and thunder with winds that shook my small truck. The drive up to the house was littered with tree parts. Once inside the house, I had to go back outside and watch the trees in high winds bending contorted and way beyond what I thought would break the trunks. We were caught up in this, captives of the storm not of our doing but totally beyond our control. I was afraid for a moment then enthralled the next. Can I learn from this? Certainly. Could I stop it? No way. This is likely my ending post in this thread. If other posts appear, I will certainly read and think. God Bless. TomDart.

tallpindo ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 9:39 AM ยท edited Thu, 08 July 2004 at 9:46 AM

I went looking for the good news that would come from the passage I remembered from the RSV I received in 1956. The closest I could find in today's translations is "Or those eighteen people who were killed when the tower at Siloam fell on them --do you think they were more guilty than everyone else who lived in Jerusalem?" in Luke 13:4. I have toured the battlefields at Gettysburg and Shiloh and I've been insulted by Southerners like Steve Austin first governor of Texas was. The military reenactment at Ojibway Island in Saginaw was a totally different picture and meeting the enthusiasts there both North and South was a pleasureable weekend. Here is some writing found at Siloam in 1880 that may pertain.
Siloam Inscription

Message edited on: 07/08/2004 09:46

tallpindo ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 10:06 AM
avalonfaayre ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 12:48 PM

Being a Northerner who now is living in the South, I am well aware of the predjudices of a war that is still being fought. Unfortunately that is true in too many cases, in too many places. As for the Siloam Inscription, I am not aware of the circumstances surrounding that. It sounds as though a water system was being built, and the tunnel collapsed on the builders. I am not sure how that corresponds to war, but I found the site fascinating, and I have it bookmarked as well as several of the links. Thank you.

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 9:50 PM

The "pool" of Siloam(not the tower that fell) is famous in scripture from the Christian view as the place of healing of the blind man when he washed his eyes. This is in John 9. Much of the history is not noticed but this event is remembered. Well, with fear of Assyrian attack, the pool was built by Hezekiah(The pool does exist, I believe, to this day.) So, first a source of water for a city under possible siege many centuries before...then a peace and healing. tallpindo, your thought is deeper than first obvious and telling. Thanks for this reference. Quite a "ps" when looking at all of it. Avalon..those who continue to fight these wars need more to do and changed hearts, perhaps. I am a from the south of the USA. I do not fight this Civil War again. And, I do not look for "payment" for past injustices as some do from the government who "freed" ancestors into an unfree society. The enslaving government does not exist; it lost the war. I was standing at a monument at the Gettysburg National Park with the name of my original "hometown" as a neat coincidence. There, I heard one of the locals make a rather profane racial comment. I thought...oops, this guy needs to get his heart in gear before opening his mouth. That has no part in my life and to profane the dead is even more dispicable; where they might have fallen is not the subject any more than their ethnic backgrounds. War is world wide in history. Still, the dead are dead for causes sometime proven just and other times simply stupid. God Bless. TomDart.

Charmz ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2004 at 7:44 AM

Peace on earth, along with communism and the electric car are all beautiful concepts that look much better on paper than in fact. Everyone forgets to factor in the one huge mitigating circumstance. Human GREED. Everyone wants more, bigger, better, faster, more powerful toys. Ever notice how the powers that be only throw a war when the new soldier age generation has kinda forgotten about the horrors of the last? The young adults of today have glamourized the Vietnam era into something it never was. I was only a child during the end of that skirmish, but still remember some of the horrifying things that they reported on the news even during America's Pollyanna period of peace love and togetherness. Now people scream about the atrocity of the September 11 attacks, I must admit that I sat stunned in front of the radio myself. (don't watch much television anymore) But really people, now the U.S. knows how the rest of the friggin world feels on a nearly weekly basis. It happens everywhere, but Big Brother America seems to think that we are untouchable, unreachable, unbreakable. Somehow we have forgotten that in a battle there are no winners, only those who achieve "victory through superior fire power". Oops.. went off on a rant there. Reenactments, are a learning tool for our children. Sure at the end of the battle everyone gets up dusts off and goes home, but they do see that there is loss on every side. Am I anti-war? No, I cannot say that I did not say nuke them f***ers along with everyone else.

avalonfaayre ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2004 at 9:18 AM

Very astute correaltion of events with the history of the pool. I love learning new things, especially in conjunction with the scriptures. As for being in the South, I don't lump everyone together in the same ball of wax. That would be predjudice as well, wouldn't it? I will say that I am what I am, born a "Yankee" and I guess I will die a stranger in a strange land. Here in the general area there are several historical battle grounds. Tennesee has alot of history, and I think it is time I found out what it is. I find myself being ashamed for not finding out sometime earlier in the 20+ years I have lived here. Sounds as though I may have inadvertently carried a little of the dreaded disease with me from the North. Maybe I need to re-evaluate and see if I really WANT to be accepted. Seems this forum has touched on alot of things that have me thinking.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.