Sun, Oct 6, 12:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Who wants a free TARDIS console?

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2004 at 1:28 PM

file_92039.jpg

So, fellow "Whovians", you probably thought this project was dead. Not quite, it's merely lying dormant like a Cyberman in stasis. However, relatively speaking, one or two of its fingers are twitching. While I haven't done any more work upon the console panels, I decided to experiment with the console room walls with the famous roundels. I've posted the results from one of those experiments. These walls are not yet suitable for general distribution. While they may render halfway decent, the mesh is a mess. I won't bore you with the creation details, but the finished wall has faces that are seemingly missing around each roundel. The wall was built from individual "blocks", each containing an "intruded" roundel cavity (as opposed to Booleaned). The final render hides this anomaly, but the preview mode would confuse the beginning Poser user. I also tried using a transparency map applied to the surface of the wall (labeled as a separate material from that of the roundels). The roundels are cylinders intruded upon themselves (imagine a thick glassed drinking tumbler). They are "glued" in place with a tiny fraction of the rim poking through the surface of the wall. The trans-map is a white texture with black circles corresponding to the positions of the roundels. When rendered, the black circles appear invisible, showing the inner, reccessed surfaces of the roundels. It makes for a "clean" geometry, but like a trans-mapped hair model, the front surface of the wall appears as a series of dots in preview mode. Plus, it renders slower than an opaque object. I'm not sure everyone would be "keen" on that idea. Hmm, one could set the prop to preview in "cartoon" mode regardless of the other elements. What are your thoughts on this alternative? For my personal projects, I have no issues with it. I know what's happening. But my original plan was to release these as general "freebies". In the meantime, I will continue to experiment and hopefully create a better design. Sincerely, Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2004 at 1:36 PM

By the way, I know the walls depicted in my test image are too narrow. Certain versions of the set had at least 4 columns of roundels. However, I like the idea of 5 coulmns with the following stack sequence (going from left to right, 4, 5, 4, 5 and 4. Having just 4 on the outer edges would allow me to add a wider "base" to the pillars separating each wall. Again, I am not trying to create one specific set. I want to introduce a few personalized elements letting me know these are indeed my contributions to an artist's scene. Sincerely, Bill

SteveJax ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2004 at 8:23 PM

Still anxiously awaiting your finished works. :) The walls look good even if they are, as you say, too narrow. I certainly wouldn't fuss about them for fan based artworks.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 1:50 PM

Has anyone ever tried doing anything like the wall roundels with bump maps, or similar?

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 2:25 PM

One might achieve usable results in Poser 5 with displacement mapping, but bump maps alone in Poser 4 would not achieve results I want for a distributable "freebie". Many users would feel cheated, even if it were for free. The more I think about it, the more accepting I am of a triangulated mesh. After all, the "die" Steve Cox provides for his UV Mapper Pro auto-smoothing tutorial has triangles to link each vertice of the pips to the rest of the mesh. My wall with 22 roundels should have a poly-count comparable to that of the gaming die (having 21 pips and fillet edges). If Steve Cox can feel comfortable sharing a triangulated mesh, why can't I? Sincerely, Bill

Redfern ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2004 at 8:50 AM

Concerning the trans-mapped version, I discovered why it experienced an odd mapping anomaly. I had applied a simple planar UV so the transparency map would properly align with the roundels. However, I noticed the side faces were rendering totally invisible. While pillars would hide this effect, it bothered me that it existed at all. Last night I discovered why. It seems my map gained a single pixel wide, dark gray border around the map. Since I used planar mapping, the entire surface of the side faces were covered with the deep gray. Had I applied the image as a standard map, I would have noticed it sooner. After I painted the border white, saved the map again, and reapplied it as a transparency filter, the side faces rendered solid. A couple of posts earlier, I stated my reluctance to use trans-maps to display the recessed interior of the roundels. Part of that concern revolved around this (now solved) rendering issue. Neither were the render times that much slower. I just realized one distinct advantage beyond an orderly mesh. Remember the secondary console room with the Victorian wood finished decor? Those roundels were not deeply recessed. They actually had moldings raised above the surface of the surrounding wall. My trans-mapped version also has similarly raised edges to hide the "blurred" effect created by the trans-map. But suppose I remove the trans-map and apply a wood pattern to the normal texture parameter? Viola! Instant series 15 secondary console room! Shoot! I could, in theory create a variety of trans-maps alternatively revealing and hiding different patterns of roundels! Silly me, a customizable solution was staring me in my ugly mug all along! At this time, I'm reversing my assessment stated within my previous post. A trans-mapped version of the walls appears the better solution. Hopefully I can create some servicable props this weekend. Sincerely, Bill

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 30 April 2004 at 9:46 PM

I can't wait! Hurry Hurry! LOL! No, take your time and do it right. I'll wait. :)

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2004 at 7:44 PM

file_92040.jpg

Here's the revised transparency mapped version of the wall, rendered with the "default" materials. I was able to nudge the columns of roundels closer, creating a tighter interlocked pattern. Sincerely, Bill

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2004 at 7:50 PM

file_92041.jpg

...and here are 4 variations one can produce using the three materials zones (wall, roundel, and plate). I applied a simple wood texture to each zone, first the wall, then the roundel and finally the inner plate. In the lower right image, I removed the trans-mapped, rendering an inner surface flush with that of the main wall. Of course, one can apply other maps light marbled patterns, as well as reflection maps. Sincerely, Bill

melanie ( ) posted Sat, 01 May 2004 at 11:16 PM

Excitement!!! :) Melanie

bsteph2069 ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 7:46 PM

Oh this is soo cool. Still looking forward to seing it. Bsteph

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 7:57 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1872922

Bsteph2069, click this link to access a thread in the modeling section and see 4 WiPs of the six stations. I'm modeling the fifth as I type. Well, not literally, but you know what I mean. ;-) Sincerely, Bill

melanie ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 8:59 PM

Ah, glad to see this is still going. I'm still looking forward to the finished product. Bill, that door lever you mention over in the other thread, I remember one of the Doctors having problems with it, so he smacked his fist onto the console, the red ball flew up into the air and he caught it in his hand. Was that Tom Baker? I can't remember for sure. It always gave me the giggles. Melanie

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2004 at 9:11 PM

I honestly don't know, Melanie. I remember Davison's Doctor rapping the brand new "blinking mushroom of death" in the "Five Doctors" when the doors failed to open, but that was part of part of the script (and the now cubicle red knob stayed in place). It seems a gag that would have worked well with Doctor # 4, but I just can't remember. Can you remember any part of the adventure? That might help. Sincerely, Bill

melanie ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 7:42 PM

No, but the knob on the console just reminded me of the funny scene. It was a long time ago that I saw it. :) Melanie

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2004 at 6:11 PM

file_92042.jpg

Well, I completed the last two stations somewhat sooner than I expected. Here's everything "glued" together and rendered in TrueSpace. I've yet to load it into UV Mapper (required before importing into Poser). However, I was rather surprised by the results and felt compelled to show you. Wish me luck with the material assignments! Sincerely, Bill

melanie ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2004 at 7:33 AM

Oh yeah! It just keeps getting better and better. :) Melanie

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2004 at 6:20 PM

Wow! Looking great as expected! :) When's that baby due for release? O.o

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 2:21 AM ยท edited Sat, 11 September 2004 at 2:23 AM

file_92043.jpg

Well, looks like I'm going to have to throw my hat in the ring and try to start one from scratch using Ray Dream Studio. Here's my current WIP Modeled in Ray Dream Studio as a hex base and a hex top, run through UV Mapper and then imported into Poser:

Message edited on: 09/11/2004 02:23

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 4:15 AM

Attached Link: http://www.lostin3d.com/Video/TardisConsoleWIP5.avi

Here's a quick Animation using the Poser Cylinder as the column and column lights.

melanie ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 9:55 AM

Very strange, but I was thinking about this thread just a little while ago and then suddenly this e-bot popped into my mailbox. Glad to see it's still going. Melanie

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 10:36 AM

Well I'm trying to make mine mostly from Poser Primitives so that the handles and such can be animated in Poser. I had to make the Hexagon Base and Console in Ray Dream Studio though. Unfortunately there's not any way to boolean the primitives in Poser so I'm making it a piece at a time.

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 29 November 2004 at 5:39 PM

Based upon discussions in some recent threads, I've opted to play it conservatively and have removed my "Doctor Who" related free items before I may be given an official "warning". Not that it really means anything in the grand scheme of life, but I'd rather not be penalized for actions that were once deemed acceptable. There are people here I've grown to like, and there is much valued information to be utilized. If I were banned, I would no longer have access to that information or some of my friends. This does not mean I will lock away the files, never to be shared again. Rather, I will seek other venues such as other sites still willing to share fan material. I will let you know what site(s) I have selected. I will not argue Renderosity's decision. As a privately owned site, the administrators have the right to decide what is permitted and what is not (as long as it does not violate state and Federal law). And if the reasons I've been told in confidence are correct, it does make sense. I am, however, saddened that members have been given "marks" against their permanent records after the site owners allowed the "concerned" items to remain for months, if not years. Especially when there's been a "screening" process in place since April 2003. Personally, I do not think that is fair, but again I will not debate the administrators' decisions. If requested, I will remove the "DW" tributes from my gallery should the administrators deem them no longer acceptable. Again, based upon privilaged information, that day will most likely come. Sincerely, Bill

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2004 at 12:27 PM

Attached Link: http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp

My TARDIS console freebie, as well as two other "Doctor Who" items can be found at the link provided. Let us be thankful of JHoagland's generosity for offering the VanishingPoint link portal! Enjoy! Sincerely, Bill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.