Fri, Sep 20, 5:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Appeal for help for Veterans Archive

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 1:37 PM ยท edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 1:06 AM

Ok, campers, I'm looking for the following, and they need to be free (because of my non-existant operating budget): U.S. Navy Uniform (The Cracker Jack type) The Navy Hat (white, round, you fellow navy veterans know the one I'm talking about) U.S. Army Uniforms (WW2, Korea, Vietnam, current) U.S. Marine Uniforms (the same) U.S. Air Force Uniforms (the same) U.S. Coast Guard Uniforms (the same) All of these need to be for both genders, please! Also, nursing uniforms, support personnel uniforms and such will be needed. I've been drafted (o no...not again!) to do the base level work for a new veterans war archive to be housed at the university where I currently teach. The entire budget was spent by the project director on a computer system, scanner, CD burner, and laser printer with almost nothing left for software and such, which I am donating from my own collection. I'll need to be creating figures for each of the branches, in all the combat and dress configurations, for both genders. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you have a commercial product that will fit the bill I can beg and see if I can get you a tax receipt for donation of product. I will be creating a page for sponsors and donors that will be link enabled. This looks to be a long-term project with the possibility of being networked nationally with other regional war and veterans archive projects, so wish us luck! Tony O'seland AKA Cedar Wolf

Ben_Dover ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 1:48 PM

Heya Tony I did read your post and saw the part about being free, but I believe you'll find quite a few military outfits at a subscription-based Poser site, specifically Poserworld.com. Maybe even all the ones you listed above, I can't recall just how many are there but I recall looking at the site one time and was amazed at the volume of stuff there. You could do a one month trial (I think it's around $20.00) and get them all at once. You might try PM'ing steveshanks here and ask about working out an arrangement. I'd think it would be good advertising for Poserworld and it wouldn't hurt to ask. Oh, and good luck with the project. :) A veteran myself so I'm looking forward to the finished work. Keep us posted, would you?

steveshanks ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 2:12 PM

Sent you an IM Tony, anything to help a fellow Veteran.......Steve

geep ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 2:41 PM

WAY TO GO, STEVE !!!

cheers,
dr geep <----------(also a vet)
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:38 PM

Blessings on Steve...he's offered assistance far and above "the call of duty." I'll keep everyone updated on the project as we get things together and online. What we're hoping, long term, to be able to do is facilitate a national web of smaller veterans archive centers and sites and make much of the archived materials available by request. That part will depend on the grants we're writing at the moment but it's important that the information be free, or as close to it as possible. I'm ordering books on SQL database training so I can confuze myself in yet another computer system, but it's important that we do this to be able to have the data available. More to come!

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:42 PM

Hey- why not make all these uniform sets and SELL THEM to raise money for the project? I think you would find that a lot of people would buy them. I purchased the super realistic "Briefing Time" B-25 model (comes on a CD with real B-25 flight manual, flight videos, etc.) for Flight Simulator 2004. The people who made the model set have made over $250,000!!! -selling it to raise money for their air museum. (Yes, Virginia, there are a LOT of Flight Sim Veterans out there!) Veterans are a POWERFUL force in terms of politics, money, etc. There are 25 MILLION veterans in the U.S. alone! Only Steve Shanks (Poserworld) are among the few who have noticed the interest in Poser historic military uniforms. Steve's uniforms are really good, and hope he continues it. I think a website offering Authentic and Accurate military uniforms (not sloppy, un-researched stuff) could do extremely well- especially if it was involved in a project supporting a Veteran archive, museum, etc. Vietnam Era Vet myself. I VOTE! and I SPEND MONEY!

Phantast ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 3:54 PM

Veritas 777 wrote: "There are 25 MILLION veterans in the U.S. alone! " When you add in all the Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Europeans, etc, the number must be massive.

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 4:14 PM

Yah. I think between Steve Shanks and PhilC a lot of the basic WII to Modern uniforms are filled in. But there is a lot more to do! I'd love to see stuff to the level of those full-color plates in those great reference books. Me, I left the Army in 1988 and never looked back. But I've kept an interest in history. I think a lot of vets are similar; we tend to be a little better read in history, particularly military history, and a lot of us are drawn to creative work around the Civil War, or WWII, or 18th and 19th centurys (which have the grace, at least, of a lot of wild-looking uniforms). Setting is always a wild card. At least a peacetime Army base is mostly a bunch of beige boxes. But...way back when I was still modelling in plastic, I did drawings for then abandoned the idea of a diorama around a "pibber", holed and beached on the tangled bank of one of the nasty narrow tributaries in the Rung-Sat.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 5:14 PM

file_124191.jpg

Good reason why I "re-up" my subscription to Poserworld. A really nice Mountie uniform- for M3, M2, V3, V2 and S3. (Where else can you get such great support for your older and still very good M2 and V2 characters?)

The Mountie uniform also works great as a U.S. Cav uniform and Gen. Pershing era military uniform with some re-texturing. Could also be made into a nice WW-I dress uniform as well.

If you took a lot of the Poserworld uniforms and formatted them with the correct textures, insignias, etc you could create a wide-range of authentic uniform sets! It just takes someone devoted to some authentic research (and LOTS of examples and photos are available) to do this right.

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 5:26 PM

First thing I thought when I saw the Mountie Uniform was "Uh-oh; it's a Smokey Hat!" For any who went through Army service in the US, the Smokey Hat means only one thing... (On the other hand, anyone who went through Jump School has learned the Smokey Hat is nothing....fear the black baseball cap!)

almeidap ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 5:26 PM

As a Marine, that picture above would make a very fine Dress Blue jacket, and to make it easier use white pants (the optional summer Blues for SSgts and above). I'd like to take a gander at what you get together. I know there is an excellent texture file for our new digital cammies (you could insert little eagle, globes and anchors...but I recommend againt it...it didn't come out right for me) Peter Almeida SSgt, USMC

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 5:42 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=4169

file_124192.jpg

Robert Sharkey made this Marine dress uniform several years ago for P4 Male. It's still available in the REN Store and the best way to use him is with M2-P4 (M2's head on an M2 mesh that supports P4 clothes).

Still- it would be much better if there was a full M2 and M3 version.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 5:49 PM

Attached Link: http://swiftboats.net/

file_124193.jpg

No matter what your political views are, here's a HOT item just waiting for some talented 3D model-maker! But you better be swift! (heh)

RandC ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 6:00 PM

USN 1979-1986 here and this sounds like an exelent project. Will follow this closely.

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 7:17 PM

I couldn't agree with the group more. Propery put forward, a library of factual and correct military regalia and equipment, in, as was said by Veritas777, "not sloppy, un-researched stuff," would be a great fund raiser for veterans organizations. Perhaps one of the sites that hosts files would be interested in creating a specific archive/link set for military regalia both free and for purchase. I stumbled across a site by el_jefe52 that offers military medals as poser props completely by accident while researching the concept. http://eljefe52.xidus.net/ I highly recommend dropping by there and taking a look at what is available. The site's owner says they will start scanning and converting unit patches and such as soon as they can afford to purchase them. Might I make the humble suggestion that those who have existing patches scan them and send them along so they can be converted? I am overwhelmed by the support from this community that this project has created. I honestly didn't think that we had a snowballs chance in Honduras at receiving any positive feedback. Let's keep these lines of communication going, ok? While I was Navy, not Marine, I still subscribe to their motto "Semper Fi!"

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 7:37 PM

file_124194.jpg

BTW, I searched the great De Espona 3D Model Library and they already have a Navy Swift Patrol Boat in MAX format...

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 7:40 PM

Attached Link: http://www.deespona.com/3denciclopedia/categoria_ships.html

file_124195.jpg

They also even have a Navy PIBBER!

Smoovie ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 9:27 PM

Cedar Wolf, puts some military items on you public wishlist. I'll see what I can do

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 9:58 PM

Yippee! How much is that PBR, anyhow....sorry, sorry...doing enough projects at once already! Nice thing about scanning military insignia is that as far as I know it is PD -- like almost everything the Government pays for (with exception of currency). Accurate historical militaria is one of the things I mentioned in my declaration against the NViTWS about a year back; the gist of my argument being, if we wanted to see more range in Poser subjects we needed to find subjects in common that groups could come together on and build the archives and the base sets and the bread-and-butter stuff (tentage, gas cans, concertina....) that everyone needed to get started. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 10:37 PM ยท edited Sun, 22 August 2004 at 10:38 PM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=76627

Check out the set of Military Medals by el_jefe52 at RDNA. He has done a wonderful and very full set!

Set Contains:
Medals

• Campaign Medals
  • Decorations for Valor/Bravery
  • Joint Chiefs of Staff Medals
  • Nato Medals
  • Miscellaneous Medals
  • United Nations Medals
  • US Air Force
  • US Army
  • US Coast Guard
  • US Marine Corps
  • US Navy

I was going to offer some of my US Army bolo badges for the set but still don't have a working scanner yet....

Message edited on: 08/22/2004 22:38

Smoovie ( ) posted Sun, 22 August 2004 at 11:14 PM

Wow, I found my medals http://eljefe52.xidus.net/

cedarwolf ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 8:23 AM

The Strawberry Fields site could be an absolute boon to the veterans 3d movement, I feel. I'm going to contact them and see if they are open to accepting scans and such to make their work easier, unless someone else has already asked this question of them. Those boats are sweet! I was on a Knox Class Destroyer Escourt, the USS Paul DE 1080, out of Mayport, Florida in the early seventies, and when I went looking for a DE (or, as they were also known, fast frigates)all I could find out was that my ship had been sold to the Turkish Navy. I'll start checking around here on patches and insignia...see what I can come up with. What's the proper DPI for a scan to be turned into a prop or character?

Lyrra ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 8:59 AM

well if people can send me closeups of insignia and images of uniforms I'll see what I can do about retexturing some of the PW items to expand the uniform lineup. Gods know we have enough uniforms kicking around in there :) I of course know nothing of such things being the child of hippies and an artist to boot. Military? Me? surely you jest Lyrra

el_jefe52 ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 9:27 AM

Attached Link: http://eljefe.xidus.net

Howdy y'all. Thanks for all the kind comments, made my day. I have started purchasing the US Medals (as a collection), and have scanned in the 80 some that I have as of today. As I told cedarwolf, I am re-doing the medals on the site using the scanned in pics of the original medals. This weekend, I will be giving my daughter the Pre-WWII campaign medals to put on the site. As I get the other medals done, they will be going up on the site also. I will also have some of the medals awarded to civilians by the various departments of the US Government. I have been able to find several people who have medals for sale, and will continue to add to both my collection and the site. Please feel free to visit and download to your heart's content. This is my little way of saying thanks to all Vets and everyone in the Poser community. Yeah, I'm a Navy vet myself. 10 years in the service from '72 to '82. Best Robin PS (Lyrra, I'm not a child of hippies, I'm an old hippy. What can I say?)

PabloS ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 10:08 AM

Wow! Great thread...must bookmark.

Smoovie ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 10:30 AM

I'm a Navy Vet as well. I had to pull my uniform out when I saw those medals. Nice job

cedarwolf ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 11:35 AM

Just had a thought (it wasn't too painful, I may have another some day...) we need to be sure to include the folks who served in the more current campaigns. Grenada (please, someone explain that one to me...), Honduras (same thing), and of course both the Middle East excursions. These veterans need to be part of our project we've started here. Pass the word around, ok?

Jim Burton ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 1:37 PM

I planning on doing a Flying Tigers P-40B someday, plus the leather jacket and rest of the flight gear to go with it, WWII stuff intrests me a lot more than newer items. To balance all these Navy guys, I was in the Army 1966-68.

nomuse ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 1:43 PM

What all Navy? I was Army, 82d Airborne. That's okay, tho. We like Navy. It's Marines we were required to fight every time we saw them (it's in our unit charter). :) Sigh. Only Division in the Army that's been banned from entire states. I was at Wainright when the announcement came; "Gentlemen, due to the events of last night, ALASKA is now off limits."

steveshanks ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 1:58 PM

Surely i can't be the only British vet here LOL...Steve

igohigh ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2004 at 6:13 PM

I'm with ya Nomuse! 72nd Engineer Battalion here, great Fort Benning, Georgia home of the Seven Duce!! (located on Kelly Hill to be precise!) Then I went on to Germany to join up with the 8th Infantry Battalion, the infamous Path Finders!! (and also to visit my forefather's homeland, beautiful country!) p.s. If that was your Gaust Hause that got rammed by the AVLB in 1983, let it be know I was NOT the driver! I was in the CEV that didn't hit anything!!

cedarwolf ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 2:05 PM

I just had a short stroll through the market place here (I kept telling that one shopkeeper I wasn't interestind in bananas or an orangutang!) and added what seemed like logical military stuff to my public wish list. If there's something there that strikes your fancy that you'd like to donate to the project, please, it'd be greatly appreciated. And I can't tell you how much the project director is amazed at the support from group. She didn't think there would be any response. I was happy to inform her that she underestimated our veterans.

almeidap ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 7:19 PM

I was looking at the image of the Marine Dress blues...and it's almost perfect...the jacket should be a deep dark navy blue..and its the officer one. Red Piping, all brass eagle, globe and anchors, a few other things and you would have a great enlisted jacket. Another thing to add is the Army's WW2 uniform (think of Elvis) is the same uniform we Marines where as our service uniforms, of course our rank in colored differntly and we have the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on our collars. (Never refer to them as E.G.A.s) I have a picture on my hard drive of me in my Dress Blues with medals if you need a refernce...just instant message me with your email address and I'll send it.

nomuse ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 7:31 PM

file_124198.jpg

Oh .... I just realized I had this model. Unfortunatley it's not digital! Engineer hoo-yah to igo. 307th, then 477th in reserves. We din't have no fancer CEV's, tho. We was 12 boom-booms, grunt with a shovel (and C4 in the back pocket.) (I thought it was the Bird, Ball and Chain?)

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 9:15 PM ยท edited Tue, 24 August 2004 at 9:16 PM

"fancer CEV's"???????????

Them things ain't nuthin but modified old M60 A-duces!! Old manual sighting, and hydraulic turit...hand crank if (when!) the hydraulics go out =8
But man those 78lbs demolition rounds make a big BOOM! when they hit!!

Now I once got a ride back to my unit in an M1 Abrams and THAT is one Fancy ride!!! All electronic, fires on the run AND even sideways!!! Clean and Mean!

Message edited on: 08/24/2004 21:16

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2004 at 9:17 PM

"Front - Toward Enemy" Like shouldn't that read "If you can read this - TURN ME AROUND FOOL!"

jarhead999 ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 7:58 PM

Howdy, Heh, yeah that's an old fashion claymore mine. The new ones still are still as idiot proof =]. You know us 'jarheads' aren't always too bright, so we need as much help as we can get =]. If anyone has any questions about Marine Corps regulation uniforms give me an e-mail and I'll help you out. Thanks

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 3:03 AM

Attached Link: Some military vehicles

There's a certain amount of cross-over between armies, too. Up until roughly 1941, the US Army was using a similat helmet to the British Army, and quite a few US-made weapons were used by the Home Guard, as well as the general use of the Thompson. And the classic example is the metal Jerrycan, copied from the Germans and still a NATO standard. Though there are detail differences. The link page is a mixed bag of stuff, but I'm sure you can at least use a Jeep.

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 8:37 AM

Wow...great link! I'm curious, I can't figure out how to get the .max files into Poser 5. The 3ds files I can import and all I have to do is figure out how to texture them. Thanks! This will be a great asset.

nomuse ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 9:47 AM

When we first got our Kelvars we called them the "Fritz Hat." Also, the joke was going around about what you can do with the helmet; "What can you do with the steel pot? Well, you can carry water in it, shave in it, sit on it, pound nails with it. What can you do with the Kelvar? You can wear it."

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 10:06 AM

Attached Link: Sandy Lodge Poser utilities and other stuff

Unless you have 3DS Max, the .max format is useless. Apparently, nothing else can read the data. Cedarwolf, if that's the site I gave the link to, I thought most of the stuff on that was in Lightwave format (and that can have problems too). I suspect it would be worth having access to some other 3D program as an alternative import route. Poser internal scale is very different from most other programs, so importing can be awkward. The native scale is apparently 96 inches to 1 Poser Unit (Poser 5 can display other units, but the Poser Unit is what the files use) but Geep (see his tutorials) uses 100 inches. But it means that a .3ds model of a gun will fill a large Poser warehouse if it isn't re-scaled. The link above has a utility which can help with this, as well as a couple of don't-look-too-close hand grenade props. Incidentally, if I remember right, TurboSquid has a lot of free contemporary tank/artillery ammunition which comes up if you search on "grenade", but you'd have to check on the file format.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 10:45 AM

TurboSquid does have the M18 smoke grenade for free, and somewhere I came across a file with whole set of those canister-type grenades. There's stuff lurking, but where...

linnymac ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2004 at 5:04 PM

Roger that, comrades. I downloaded the jeep and was startled when I opened up the 3ds file and put Mike2 in the scene...it was like he was working in an area where they use those trucks the size of office blocks! I'll keep checking the net as I get time. Thanks, everyone.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 2:56 AM

Attached Link: Results of query, and other useful stuff

file_124199.jpg

I knew I had this file, but was wary of posting the info until I'd confirmed the full details. Thre thread includes a link to the site where the file is, and a picture.

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 1:18 PM

The label on the M18 from 'squid is only semi accurate and you only get the one

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 1:44 PM

Like I mentioned, I still got a bunch of my old Engineer manuals, with plenty of good reference drawings of mines and explosives, plus a few odd ones like battlefield sensors and "hypothetical" ADMs (aka, the nuke looks like this and makes this big a boom, but we aren't actually admitting it exists). I think the utitily of a "Bouncing Betty" in a Poser scene would be rather limited, though. The apocryphal story of the guy with the baseball bat notwithstanding.

LilWolff ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 2:10 PM

Here is a Photo Archive that might help. http://www.navsource.org/ If anyone would like to model the Texas BB35 please get in touch with me by email. Had someone working on it a couple of years ago but they dropped the project. :-( Any one interested in a bit of oral history from a WWII Sailor about the Texas is welcomed to look at my Dad's site. Thank to the Creator, this sailor is still here and of course still a Navy man in love with his old girl of the sea. :-) http://www.lilwolff.com/Memories/History.htm (the java, if you have it blocked till you ok it, like me, is the Texas on water) Will keep watching threads like these to see if I can contribute anything. WWII - Army, Navy and Vietnam era sources. Have some old NY newspapers, pertaining to WWII will carefully look through them again and see if there are any references that can be of use to anyone.

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 4:03 PM ยท edited Sun, 12 September 2004 at 4:05 PM

file_124200.jpg

Since you mentioned the old 'cage mast' USS Texas, here's a pic that might interest you :-) Sorry about the Pic size

Message edited on: 09/12/2004 16:05

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

LilWolff ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 4:38 PM

Thanks Charlie, like the motto of the submarine. :-) Hope She keeps her crew as safe as the Battleship Texas did.

Smoovie ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 12:18 PM

I guess I should have just provided a link to free stuff, like everyone else. I actually made a purchase from the public wishlist and didn't get so much as a thank you... I won't do that again

cedarwolf ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 5:36 PM

Hey, I IM'd you and said thanks within 48 hours of my being notified of the gift, Smoovie...I apologize for not getting it into this forum as quickly. As a full time professor as well as the managing director of the veterans archive project, the senior staff representative of the college technology committee, an assistant director of both the reading and writing centers at our university, and still a student working towards a PhD I've been a little busy, and I apologize again for not responding as fast as I probably could have. Please don't think you were snubbed. Far from it, your gift has been discussed as an example for other donors to follow by the archive committee. And the rest of you, please, understand that it takes time to respond. I'm sure that some of you have had several days go by before you had a chance to respond to an IM or an email.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.