Sun, Sep 22, 10:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Realism & Area Rugs

susanmoses ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 11:53 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 10:37 AM

file_126228.jpg

I ran across this superb work 'Wonderful Day' by Grigoriy Kolyadin somewhere on the www. Obviously not done in Bryce I love the 'realism' and the 'area rug' I would like to know if it is a 3dmodel. I like how it lifts and undulates off the floor. When I make an area rug... from a cube... it looks just like that... a cube with a texture on it. Thoughts and examples of how to achieve this 'rug' effect appreciated. -Susan

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 12:08 PM

susan, it sounds almost as if you're getting ready to write some tutorials ;) you can do them in two ways: 1. with a terrain 2. with another program for modelling terrain-wise it can be a bit difficult. i personally use wings3D for pretty much any model I need or want. drac

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 12:09 PM

file_126229.jpg

specifically like this quick thing i whipped out just now ^

Ornlu ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 12:11 PM

Yeah, you could use a terrain. but it couldn't have any thickness. I'd just use wings like drac said. However, I think a lot of the realism in that rug is the texture. Which must have an extremely high bump.

Ornlu ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 12:13 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2004 at 12:14 PM

Looks like the bottom poly might be peeking through the top poly at the end there. I'd try one but my computer is currently disabled due to drawbridge's quazi challenge for a metaball splash... rendering... ugh.. it's still got a couple hours on it too.

Message edited on: 09/01/2004 12:14

tjohn ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 12:50 PM

file_126231.jpg

You can make a hooked rug with a terrain that will have some thickness to it.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

tjohn ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 12:54 PM

file_126232.jpg

Here's the terrain map for that pic. This is "massive resolution" I just added a lot of "basic noise" and trimmed off the sides with the paintbrush.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

susanmoses ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 12:54 PM

Exactly what I need a shag rug... How did you do that tjohn?

Ornlu ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 1:05 PM

it's a terrain with spikes painted on it at a high resolution. That can really eat up render time though in a complex scene.

tjohn ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 1:10 PM

Create a terrain, go into the editor, click on the symbol at the bottom left that looks like a grid, choose "massive resolution" I think it's 1024. Click on the triangle to the right of "fractal" and pick "rolling hills" (others will work as well). Hit the Fractal button. Use the "Raise/lower" slider button to flatten the terrain a bit. Pick "solid" on the drop down menu seen on the screenshot. Click on the icon to the left of that menu to get the clipping bracket active. Now click and drag on the button next to "Basic Noise" until it looks fuzzy like my map. The trimming of the edges is not essential, really, I just liked the way it looked, but you can do it with the brush. If you do that, drag the bracket up a little until you see the dark red replace the black. Then go back to the main screen and into the texture editor and add your picture. You may want to stretch the rug to get the right look to the image you put on it. Hope I got this so it's not too hard to follow, Susan.

tjohn ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 1:14 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2004 at 1:21 PM

The rug pic above took less than 10 minutes to render at 64 rpp. I don't think it would add a large amount of time to a complete scene. I could be wrong and usually am. And it wasn't spikes, it was basic noise (which give a finer grain).

Message edited on: 09/01/2004 13:21

Kemal ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 1:50 PM

Nice approach, people !!! I also had fairly good results with even smaller terrain sizes, I guess it depends on the distance too, lol !!!! On that particular render U could easilyt use 512 or even 256 terrain thingie ! Problem is that you cannot bend the terrain objects (would not that be nice to have in the next version of Bryce) so if I wanted to simulate what that guy did, I would proly do modeling, extreme noise bumping and texturing thing, rather then terrain idea...

susanmoses ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 2:15 PM

tjohn: I got to the part where you talked about dragging the 'bracket' up a little until you see the dark red replace the black (where's the bracket - is it the slidebar) and if so, I slid it up and there was no colour red to be seen. Also I don't quite understand the paint effect thing. I loved the shaggy edges on your rug. I am rendering a sample now so you can see what I achieved... but I don't think the shaggy edges will be there... I did get some undulations though... -Susan

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 2:16 PM

Susanmoses, here's an area rug created using Rhino's drape feature. The scene was textured and rendered in Bryce: Image

Jaymonjay ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 2:29 PM

"Obviously not done in Bryce" Why the heck not? There are many Bryce artists, a few of whom have responded to this thread (you know who you are), that can achieve realism like this in Bryce.

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 3:09 PM

susan, for someone with a bryce gallery as large as yours, i'm surprised that these techniques are unknown to you. are you a victim of the bodysnatchers? :) drac

Innovator ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 3:30 PM

file_126233.jpg

not done in Bryce...but a terrain is the best way to make an "undulating" rug. I would show a Bryce example, but I cant find my Bryce CD anywhere, so this is a render i did in Maya sometime ago.

susanmoses ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 3:32 PM

OK... since I served myself on this platter I'll have to answer this by saying that much of what I do in Bryce is by trial and error or accident... if you will... I am just trying to more fully understand just exactly what it is I am doing... architectural modeling... no problem... but materials/terrains/techniques... A large gallery yes... but closely examined... not a lot of true technique there concerning the capabilities of Bryce... I have a long way to go... so bear with me... I am learning alot from you guys... only the future will tell if I can put it to practice? -Susan

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 3:37 PM
Forum Moderator

Isn't that top pic AS's apartment? I see he's got a bigger bed....

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 4:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=531783&Start=86&Artist=rickymaveety&ByArtist=Yes

I did the undulating rug bit in my very first Rosity image. Just a plain-ol' American west style rug, but it thought it turned out rather nicely. I'd have to go back and look at the wire frame, but I *think* I used a lattice.

Could be worse, could be raining.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 5:06 PM

HAD to get a bigger bed....#! pictures.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

thuleke ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 5:44 PM

file_126235.jpg

My version with Terrain

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 6:33 PM

Lol, nicer than my try at it. AS

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 6:34 PM

file_126236.jpg

If you spent more than a few minutes on it (which is all I did here) you could actually create (paint) up a terrain that looked like it lifts off the floor (show here grossly exagerated). (It looks more like it has been thrown over something invisible, lol). I usually use two terrains booleaned together to give the "rug" thickness. It's possible in Bryce, it would just take some tweaking time to get it right. Subtle/Natural. (like thuleke's) ;o) AgentSmith

thuleke ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 7:07 PM

Agent...is the elephants rugs? LOL!!

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 10:39 PM

file_126237.jpg

There are many area rug images on www. You can also make them look thick and plushy.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

DJB ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2004 at 10:41 PM

file_126238.jpg

The terrain editor looks like this. Using Picture>then a few mins of editing.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

vasquez ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2004 at 1:38 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1817026

Maybe this may be helpful, my little contribution to this amazing forum! Using a terrain is the best way (I think) ut a small little trick is using a sort of fabric texture cor the terrain (mixed with the greyscale image of the texture) and a nice carpet texture for the colours.

Ornlu ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2004 at 1:41 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=559822&Start=1&Artist=Ornlu&ByArtist=Yes

I actually used the terrain method for this rug in a pic I did a while ago.. worked fairly well but it was a cartoon-ish image so I'm not sure it's the same effect you are going for.

alvinylaya ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2004 at 7:53 AM

file_126239.jpg

Another terrain. Really quick one, and can be improved greatly. I just used simple noise in Photoshop as bump.

alvinylaya ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2004 at 7:59 AM

file_126240.jpg

Here's the simple bump. I must admit though, as far as modelling, drac's wings model is the best and hassle free option. :-)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2004 at 10:11 AM

There ya go, perfect. ;o) AS

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2004 at 11:02 AM

file_126241.jpg

Heres another modeling option using Bryce terrains:

Open Bryce, from the create panel select a terrain model. While the terrain is still selected:

1.-Ctrl+E brings you to the terrain editor.
2.-Make the terrain 512 pixel resolution and make sure solid is disabled by clicking on the down arrow at the top of the terrain canvas.
3.-In editing tools panel, click down arrow next to the fractal button and choose rounded dunes for your terrain type.
4.-click the fractal button until you get a terrain that satisfies you.
5.-Back in the editing tools panel, drag the raise/low option to the right until the terrain in the 3D preview just lightly shows the terrain.
6.-Accept the terrain, this brings you back to the main display.
7.-Using the resize button, elongate along the z axis the length you want.
8.- Also in the resize button, elongate along the y axis to add more pronounced fold to your rug.
9.-Add your texture and your rug is done.

susanmoses ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2004 at 11:49 AM

Thank you to all who have responded to this thread… by name: draculaz (for your great ‘wings’ example – gotta check that program out), Ornlu for your fine example in your thought-provoking gallery post, ‘In my mind: where it’s safe’), tjohn (for your personal ‘tut’ and sending me your ‘rug’ obp), Kemal, Jaymonjay (for reminding us what great Bryce artists we have in this community), Innovator (another great example), The Bryster & AgentSmith (for making me laugh while learning), rickymaveety (for another great example and for giving me ‘Bryce’ as a gift a few months back… a “BIG’ thank you!), thuleke (for another great example), dBgrafix (for your xlt example + screen shot), vasquez (for the texture map and texture – I did use it), alvinylaya (dear alvin for another superb example – you nailed it!), and Quest for your xlt ‘tut’ and screen shot – I’m going to try your technique next). With your help my ‘Bryce Docs’ file is full of so many area rugs with so many different textures… something I couldn’t do the day before yesterday… If I ever hit the ‘Big Time’… I’ll be sending you all a ‘Big Fat’ check! (((((note to self))))… mucho gratitude, Susan

jedswindells ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2004 at 9:04 PM

'scuse me but has anyone explained how to use the clipping brackets to Susan?Its litterally the long bracket right of the slidebar.Click'n'hold just at the top or bottom of this great big bracket and it will slide up or down.If anyone can post a highlited pic of the terrain editor it may help.This tool in terrain editor is not well explained in my manual,it took me ages to discover it and it is so very useful.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.