Sat, Sep 21, 12:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:04 pm)

Subject: Where are my pictures?

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 6:22 AM
Online Now!

I started boycotting this site early this year, in the aftermath of the TOS brouhaha. After a few months, I made one purchase...then Rosity plecked me off again, by deleting the OT forum. I haven't made a purchase here since.

I don't feel bad for the merchants, because they can easily open stores at PoserPros, 3DCommune, etc. It's not like most of them are getting anything for being Rosity exclusives, after all.

Almost everything I would have bought at Rosity before is now available at other stores. Often, it's cheaper, too, because other stores don't take as big a cut.

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 6:25 AM

I wish I could agree, 1010 ... I have to agree with Jack Kammerer on this issue. I've been a member of Renderosity for over four years now. When I first started coming here this was a community. It now has the appearance of a community, but the powers that be have decided that community is a one-way street. If I had images pulled and was warned about violating something that did not exist in the TOS, a coupon for the marketplace would not fix the hurt feelings. Count me in as one who will no longer support the marketplace, either by selling or purchasing ... no matter HOW much I like the product. I have made my last purchase here.

Bez ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 6:46 AM

Having just read through this little lot, I'd like to add my 2p's worth and send a message to the person (whoever you are) who bought this matter to the attention of the mods/Admins 'Well, you must be feeling pretty pleased with yuorself right now, not only have you angered and dissrupted the community, you've also caused a great deal of emotional distress to some really wonderful KIND people, hell, I was even moved to tears when I read Tracey's (mutedbanshee) message. Whilst we can all re-post and re-comment if neccesary, the emotional damage is going to take a lot longer to heal, believe you me, and all for what???? Congratulations buddy on a job well done'

DarkStarRising ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 6:53 AM

i cant believe how many people this has inscenced, me including, i have had to go through some of my gallery just to rename a few of my pics just so they dont get the delete button again. FFS i mean this is so unfair. As 1010 said all those who have been affected should get a something back, and no not a money off voucher, as quite frankly a lot of us wouldnt take it, but a coupon or such would make some of us a little better, but im still mad!!!!!!!!

In the words of DarkStarRising:
"Sadness within sadness,
Darkness within darkness,
a shadow of a form lays upon the floor,
looking at herself
looking at her own shadows of loneliness"

Janl ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 6:56 AM

I am deeply sadden by what has happened here. I'm not a great one for entering competitions but I enjoyed the informal ones held in the gallery. These images and their comments should never have been deleted. For the person responsible not to realise the effect this would have on people is truely shocking and shows how little repect the powers-that-be on this site have for the artists. I am tempted to look elsewhere for a more caring community ... however, it's the actual artists themselves that make this such a special place and I think it is about time the owners of Renderosity acknowledged that fact and started to respect the very people who line their pockets with silver!!

Irish ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:09 AM

I truly believe the bottom line here is MONEY. Remember good ol' Geocities way back when - we all had free websites and it was a wonderful community. Then it began, slowly but surely; rooting out various sites, then finally the bomb dropped and free sites were gone. You can see similarities already - paying for your gallery, mass storage, etc. Pretty soon now, the forums will start feeling the pinch...oh I forgot, they have already, with the nitpicking and sorting into various forums of topics not belonging here. That's when you know Big Brother is watching us - Like Geocities, this site will slowly be destroyed from within. To systematically yank contest pictures is a big step into dictatorship. What a pity! :(

Gurami ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:27 AM · edited Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:29 AM

A lot of people have let off steam. Now let me have my say:

Like JenyK said, Renderosity can be held legally viable for what goes on here. For example, entering a contest with a picture of a copyrighted character is clearly a copyright infringement. Thats the law and not up to debate. Do you want Sony, Disney or Lucasfilm to sue Renderosity? That could be the end of this site. Please consider that! And what is so wrong with the attitude "better safe than sorry"? If this was my site, I surely would have panicked and acted the very moment I got aware of a potential legal desaster.

JenyK apologized for acting hastily and without prior warning.
Why cant you people accept an apology? Why not stop the bashing now?

Come on, deleting all your images and running off is childish! Do you think other sites have no rules and regulations? Wise up!
There are a lot of tremendously talented people here and we are constantly improving our skills. So please put up with the loss of your images and your comments and create something new! I repeat in capitals: CREATE SOMETHING NEW! Please stop whining and resume being creative.

Message edited on: 09/17/2004 07:29

visualgirl ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:30 AM

Me: "So she says she's sorry, but how does that make it right??? Did she lose any images and comments??? Probably not. Jenyk: "It doesn't change what was done. Would you rather I not apologize for what I did?" Jenyk, My point was that we, the artists, are/were the ones penalized, not you. You haven't lost anything in this deal. An apology is something, but in no way makes up for this. Sometimes an apology just isn't enough. Jenyk: "Please don't talk about me like I'm not here. If you have an issue with me, please IM me and not keep bashing me here. Posts with attacks do get removed." I wasn't talking about you like you were not here. I don't know if you meant that for me or not. When I said she I guess I really should have said they, but since you're the one who seems to be replying to all of this, I said she...I don't understand how you could take that as a personal attack. I didn't call you anything offensive or make any lewd comments about you here.

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:32 AM

Why not stop the bashing now? Because it was wrong. And if we don't voice our opinion about it BEING wrong, it will happen again ... and again ... and again. >> Do you think other sites have no rules and regulations? Yes, they do have rules and regulations. But for some reason, this site has more than is necessary. It has gotten to the point of being ridiculous and absurd. >> Please stop whining and resume being creative. Excuse me, but the people who got their images yanked WERE being creative. Complaining about unfairness isn't whining. It also appears to me that Renderosity listens and react to "whiners" only when they agree with the views.

pjaj ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:35 AM · edited Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:41 AM

Hello, I will agree that this situation was very unpleasant. My image which was the H & H Contest, received 90 comments and was on the Poser Hot 20s in 6th place. I come home and check my emails and some more artists made comments earlier yesterday. When I click on the link it said "Sorry, someone has deleted the image". I was pretty upset. This type of situation would make someone want to go else where just to see if the community is structured better, not saying that this community in not structed at all. Plus it's not secure, because a couple of my images where stolen off here and place on another website. Either a NO right click Javascript should be place or we should be able to upload an image using .swf (Flash) That's all I have to say. I don't mean any harm to anyone at all! God Bless everyone!

Message edited on: 09/17/2004 07:41

PJAJ

visualgirl ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:36 AM · edited Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:51 AM

I was thinking that exact same thing yesterday! The no right click script!!! As I said above, the apology in no way makes up for what happened. There are other ways to make a point. And Tracey, you should not feel bad about what has happened. Not your fault at all. I enjoyed being a part of your contests and appreciate the inspiration. The main reason that I have been hanging here is for the people...If the people I like and care about are no longer here, then I will take my images and business somewhere else. No sense in losing friends over this.

Message edited on: 09/17/2004 07:51

3-DArena ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 8:20 AM

"If someone wants to sponsor a contest, there are proper ways to do so. Renderosity could be held legally liable for something we didn't even approve or know was going on" Not exactly true since all participants knew the contests were not endorsed by Renderosity but were instead endorsed by individuals it's the "endorsing" of a contest that holds one liable for it. An easier solution to this would have been to have those running the contests simply add a line to their contests stating "this contest is not endorsed by Renderosity or it's affiliates in any manner". Would have saved alot of headaches and irritations. Also hard to believe no one knew it was going on - it's been going on forever and was originally started in the Poser forum and the "Romance Long Ago" was not the first "contest/challenge" with prizes. It was a positive activity. If admins didn't know about it the mods and co-ords certainly did or should have. Besides AB already stated that they had complained about a previous contest requiring specific products in the image as being illegal. Not an entirely correct complaint unless it is illegal in tennessee as there are exceptions to that - DAZ proves that case by requiring the use of DAZ products to enter any of their contests. It is not illegal to run a contest that is intended to showcase or promote products. It has in fact been an aspect of advertising for eons and still is. You may have a "sweepstake" that requires a purchase where the winner is random (the exception being a drawing of purchased tickets) but that complaint in itself was not valid in this particular case. However, the point is that there were admisn that knew about it and that becomes the issue. Then Jenyk comes back and says that it all depends on which admins are on. No it doesn't, admins should be discussing these things and not making arbitrary decisions that they are not all aware of, period. Your TOS quote is not very adequate either - posting images to the gallery is not a misuse of the gallery unless those images violate the TOS in regards to content, there is nothing that states images have to be titled a specific way. If you are going to scream copyright violations as your excuse in this latest contest than perhaps you should scan the galleries themselves better first before making the HUGE mistake of singling out an individual or individuals - that can indeed lead to legal repercussions for 'rosity (not that 'rosity has ever card about that before). Images never ever should have been pulled for a naming issue - and that is exactly what it boils down to - creators should ALL have been given an opportunity to fix that since to their knowledge they weren't violating the TOS and now you are "marking" their records - how elementary school. I think the main issue is not the "unauthorised contests" because 'rosity can not control those, by that I mean that someone could post off site about a contest, the images could be in the gallery here and the links emailed to the sponsor. I mean anyone can offer a prize for anything they want to and they have been doing that in one form or another for years here. From images to product naming and "guess what this is" there have been contests here. After all that was the very point of opening the "challenges" forum right? If those images had been titled "challenge" would there have been a problem? 'rosity can not tell individuals that they can not give a gift/prize either - sorry but you don't control wallets or what we do with our own products. If the naming is the problem an individual could instead ask that a link to the entered image be emailed to them. There were a dozen viable ways that this could have been handled, that you all chose to take the most asinine/illogical choice is par for the course. Perhaps these contests were receiving more attention than those from "sponsors" and that is the real problem. I'm not even going to get into the recent "gallery overhaul" of moving images that a moderator feels are commercial - I see that at least one specific merchant here whose images are ALWAYS commercial and ALWAYS fall well within the outline posted for no-nos still has her images exactly where she put them and they are not now labeled as product showcase images. Just goes to show that it all depends on the whims of those here, not that it is anything new - Jack has it right on the head here. It happens every year, and it never does get resolved fully. I never take part in the contests, but I do shop here quite a bit - think I'll just continue to offer DAZ GC's or private payment to artists here instead. I don't think I'll be shopping here or adding my products, several of which were ready to go until I read that "exclusivity" cut that shgowed 'rosity isn't even being subtle about preferential treatment anymore (I wasn't even going exclusive, that just sat badly with me). By making a private payment merchants aren't being harmed they may refuse that option, but at least they will have the option, there's nothing here I can't do without. I may be only 1 person, but it's still my right to do so. As hisminky stated you can all do what you want - but as individuals we don't have to support it. Yes other's will come, but there is no longer any assurance that 'rosity will remain the biggest fish in the sea, they won't disappear that's for sure, but more and more product producers of real quality products are going elsewhere and expanding their market(a smart move for name recognition anyhow). But if you want to buy a dozen packages of flood filled textures or poses with intersecting body parts, you will always be able to get them here, as long as the zip opens correctly ;-)

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 8:28 AM

But if you want to buy a dozen packages of flood filled textures or poses with intersecting body parts, you will always be able to get them here, as long as the zip opens correctly ;-) WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! You go girl! 8-D

3-DArena ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 8:45 AM

Sorry - typo here I posted "You may have a "sweepstake" that requires a purchase where the winner is random (the exception being a drawing of purchased tickets) but that complaint in itself was not valid in this particular case." And it should have read "You may not have a sweepstake that requires..."

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

ExtremeThemes ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 9:04 AM

Tracey... you did nothing wrong! These contests have been going on for a long time and they were never stopped. The mods of each gallery are there to "moderate" what is going on in the galleries. If it is too overwhelming a job for them then Renderosity needs more mods. Plain and simple. They should not expect anyone to do more than they are capable of doing.

There should never be anything going on in the galleries that the mods are not aware of, and when they become aware of a problem it is passed on to TPTB... so I find it impossible to believe that everyone here was not aware that the contests were going on.

The saddest things I have read here are Tracey's tring to take responsibility for something that was no way, no how her fault, and the outright lie that no one knew contests were bring held. A little honesty goes a long way. Making statements like that makes us all sound like we are dumb enough to believe that...

Thankfully my few competition images were not deleted. I too am in Florida and one of my computers got damaged by one of the many electrical surges we have had recently. A surge protector gone bad (reminder to everyone to replace these every couple years) and I lost alot of my work. I intended to download all of my images on my new computer so I would have them but had not had time. Most of my images go in the galleries both here and at 3DCommune, but the competition images naturally were only here. If they were deleted I would have had no way to replace them...

pdxjims ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 9:59 AM

This sure looks serious. Of course, on the positive side the post hasn't been locked yet. Thank you for that JenyK. It takes a lot to admit to a mistake and take the heat, rather than to just lock the post and forget it happened. This surly points to the need to clarify the TOS on this, and to make the clarification as public as possible. And one thing we can be proud of; this thread has been mostly civil and addressing the concerns of the members, rather than decaying into a cat-fight.

HenkStenkel ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:14 AM

Renderosity and You...
In case you're wondering...You are the Sheep.
(Isn't it nice to know Rosity is behind you?)

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:17 AM

It will be locked now! LOL

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:19 AM

For example, entering a contest with a picture of a copyrighted character is clearly a copyright infringement This place has had copyright and trademark infringement since Day 1. I'm sure if I went into the MP, I could find a dozen violators in five minutes flat. That excuse, sorry, doesn't wash. >> on the positive side the post hasn't been locked yet I think they may be smart enough to know that if they did lock it, people would be even more incensed. If I were a mod here, better to let the thing die on its own would be the more appropriate strategy here.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

FlyByNight ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:33 AM

Or they may just delete HenkStenkel's post. LOL. I need some paper towels to wipe the tea off the monitor and keyboard.

FlyByNight

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:34 AM

Henkstenkel... I think there could have been a more productive way to illustrate your displeasure...

annemarie2 ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:38 AM

Tracy you did nothing wrong hun- don't beat yourself up for the lack of good common sense and business sense on their part. There is really no excuse as far as I am concerned as to the removal of gallery pictures without any warning at all. Thats not something you did girl...your contests were very inspiring, and some of my best work came from them:) So thank you! Hugs! Anne Marie

JeniferC ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:41 AM

Okay, I've been scared to death to step foot back in here, cause I'm still quite sore from the last beating. You may not believe it, but I'm good at self-displine and have beat myself up over this too. I feel bad, and I've apologized for my error. PLEASE know the programmers & network systems people are working to restore the images and comments. There are no guarantees that some info may be lost, and it could take several hours to get what we can restored. I was wrong to try to do a quick job to remove the contest, and want to make it right. Please try to forgive and don't blame the entire team or all of Renderosity. I've found out the some of the mods and coords did know, but didn't realize this wasn't allowed. This is due to a lot of communication issues we, as a team, need to work on--and I'm the most guilty of all. I know I've let the team and community down and I want to work to make it right. Not only have I ask you all to forgive me, but also ask that you please try to be patience while we work to fix my error. My sincerest apologies, Jenifer

JeniferC ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:46 AM

I meant to also say there were only 6 member warnings issued to those that had started/sponsored a contest. Since the contest were not clearly stated as not being allowed in the galleries those warnings are being removed. Thanks, Jenifer

Forevernyt ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:47 AM

Well, thank you Jen. That's all I really wanted. I can understand the site's desire to not let contests be held in the gallery. That's all fine and good. I just wanted my work and the fantastic comments and gracious ranks put back the way it was. I cannot expect all of those who were kind enough to leave a comment or rank to do so all over again. I was like a slap in the face to look and see those particular pictures gone. If they can be restored then that will go a long way to resolving the hurt. Thank you for admitting your mistake and apologizing.

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:55 AM

Apology accepted, on the condition that all deleted contest images are restored. I was rather pissed that one of my contest entries - one of my best images to date, and the one that got the most comments - was deleted.
But may I suggest some things for the contest area? The rules there are rather restrictive - no nudity, no violence - so a contest like Prog's H & H cannot be run there now. The way the contest area is set up now requires these strict rules.
I'd suggest expanding the contest area so that you can have a contest that allows nudity/violence, the whole contest being flagged. So people who don't want to see nudity and/or violence won't even know the contest is being held.
I recognize the need to change the rules from time to time. But if you do, please announce the change in a timely and unmistakable manner (put a link to the announcement in the page headers for instance).
People make mistakes, nobody's perfect, and I'm not going to fry anyone over a mistake - provided that everything is being done to set things right!

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

ExtremeThemes ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:55 AM

This is the post you should have made the first time around Jenifer :-)

I hope they can get everything restored for the sake of all those that lost their images...

As far as the contests, remember all you can bring them to 3DCommune :-)

Gail

adm5050 ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:56 AM

Thank you for being mature about your mistake and taking measures to correct them.

Blazerwiccan ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:56 AM

Wow I want to say thank you as well. I like the contests in the galleries but if another wa is found to still host those then all that was left was the loss of images, comments and such. If most Hopeing for all of them are returned that would be a big help. And thank you for saying your sorry and trying to find some way to make things better. Also thank you for removeing warnings for those who had no idea they were doing anything wrong. And Tracy you have no reason to be sorry. I am enjoyed each of your contests. They have all be fun and full of wonderful people and wonderful entries. Also made me aware of new products I had not seen before, like some of yours that I hope one day to be able to buy :) No one is mad at you at all and wish you the best ((Hugs))

HenkStenkel ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:57 AM

FlyByNight...sorry about the keyboard/monitor mess.
PapaBlueMarlin...I agree. There probably was a better way to express my displeasure.
But not one with the same impact.
(NOTE: The image is gone already...knew that would happen.)

PabloS ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:01 AM · edited Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:02 AM

Jenifer,
you displayed a lapse in good judgement, who hasn't? :-)

it is disturbing though that management would:

1. have a system of communication that allows this to happen in the first place ... effectively setting you up for failure, and

2. have you face this crowd alone.

Message edited on: 09/17/2004 11:02

3-DArena ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:02 AM

Removing the marks on their records is great. BUt I am wondering why the contests are now limited to no nudity? I understand the no violence, but no nudity? Where would 'rosity be without nudity in the images ;-D

-Galileo

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:04 AM · edited Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:14 AM

This is due to a lot of communication issues we, as a team, need to work on

Jeny thanks for your heartfelt apologies.

I only have one hope ... that when Renderosity communicates about the communication issues, I hope part of the solution of the communication issues is to keep people appraised of progress on sticky issues. I can think of more than one recent issue that we are still waiting to hear updates on, and quite often it feels as though our (ahem) so-called "whining" is falling on deaf ears.

I have said time and time again that I try not to complain ... but lately I have done my fair share. When I get to this point it's because the buttons have been pushed one or more times too many. And believe me, I am a person who is known to be passive to a fault. My middle name should be "doormat." LOL

Jeny, I don't think this bickering is all directed at you, personally, but at the blatant heavy-handedness that has been going on at this site for quite some time. THAT is the overall issue that has to be addressed ... the sense of community is SO lost here as a result.

Message edited on: 09/17/2004 11:14

Folded ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:06 AM

I too will say thank you Jen. Given everything, this is a reasonable recompense. (Having been a sys admin, I can understand that the most recent images may be problematic depending on backup/redundancy issues in the software/system. Also the time it takes to recover things from backup is never as quick as people would like.) Although I do have copies of all my work, the comments left in the gallery were not, and they are a significant aspect of the interaction here. To be honest, I am still not clear on the leglities issue (too many opinions so far) and will await the clarification in the TOS/Contest area, galleries FAQ, etc.

chrislenn ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:15 AM

Oh boy I remember reading a minor thread one comment and response a complaint about the contests in the gallery and responded to it by suggesting a seperate subsection for contests like the portraits etc I hope it didnt trigger this too I Love the contests (read addicted to) and don't think I could cope with being inadvertantly responsible for more trouble here sorry if I am will go hide now Chris :o(

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Pee on it and walk away

SnowSultan ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:19 AM

"Only reason why I come here anymore is to troll through the free stuff, and visit the forums every September to watch the management shoot themselves in the foot for making, yet another, boneheaded move." Indeed Jack, the only time I EVER see you around here is to pop into controversial threads and basically point out how much Renderosity had deteriorated compared to the other communities. ;) I didn't mean to sound like we shouldn't speak up when we're unfairly treated here, I just don't think we should pack up our naked Vickis and swords and run off to another temple. Those people usually end up skulking back to this one anyway when things cool off. Thank you Jenifer for your sincere post. I know you often have a pretty hard time here (heh, I've fought with you myself in the past), and I'm sure it's appreciated. Take care. SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

JeniferC ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:19 AM

"have you face this crowd alone" --that was my choice that I insisted now for because I made a discussion to remove images with VERY little input from the rest of the team. I made so many errors in this one issue. I really wasn't thinking and haven't been very well lately. My goal and objective was to just removed the contest stuff from the galleries quickly so I could move on to the other items on my "to do" list. I didn't put proper forethought into it or consider possible outcomes. In my defense, that's not like me and I can't remember ever making this big of mistake in the community before. While we work to develop, good clear guidelines around contest and where they're allowed and not allowed, etc we will take nudity into consideration. I'm not sure, but I think the H & H Contest may still underway in the "contest forum". We will also be looking at ways to seriously improve our communication issues.

Doodles ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:20 AM

I agree that this contest thing was handled wrong. You're all entitled to your feelings and opinions. However, damaged has been done...and at some point we'll have to either forgive and move on or leave rosity. I love and hate this site. I love it for the great artwork here that inspire me to be a better artist. I hate it for making me feel like I'm just a number. Some of the things posted are in my opinion more product showcase than art...that's just my opinion. I love the contests because I love to see artist's different interpetation of the contest parameters. I'm an artist at heart...I think, live and breathe it. Like a junkie I begrudingly need this place. Give me a better place and I swear I'll quit rosity!

Folded ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:21 AM

Just a side note on the contest area, I never saw that area as somewhere a member could initiate a contest. It seemed more formal and 'osity approved types. So I am looking to see better information available about how contests can be initiated and included in the contest area.
(Although the lack of commenting does affect one of the bonuses of these gallery contests - that is the image feedback. In some cases, the best and most feedback came from gallery contest entries. In some cases, that was my motivation for entering, given I had not hope of winning anyway:-)

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:30 AM

Not only have I ask you all to forgive me, but also ask that you please try to be patience while we work to fix my error Patience in this is one thing, but how many gaffes like this from the various mods and admins are we supposed to endure while you people learn basic communication skills? Yes, I know, it's a part time job -- but Jen, you knew the job reqs when you took it on. Every time an issue like this blows up, the same answer gets rolled out: "Oh, we had a problem in communication." That's getting really old, sorry. I'm happy to see you're working to get the images restored, but insofar as the other, deeper problem -- maybe you guys need to seriously work on it instead of saying you will.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

Don_Cook ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:39 AM

Jack D. Kammerer, You HIT THE NAIL on the head!! Bravo!!!!

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:45 AM

"I meant to also say there were only 6 member warnings issued to those that had started/sponsored a contest. Since the contest were not clearly stated as not being allowed in the galleries those warnings are being removed."

I'm glad to hear this. Not allowing contests didn't affect me and neither did the deletions. But time and time again, this site makes changes to the TOS and enacts them before giving anyone a decent heads up about it. Why it keeps happening I don't know.
To hand out warnings about a violation that didn't exist before disgusted me so I'm glad to see that rectified and the victims of it compensated.

Perhaps a formal announcement would be a good idea? Not everyone reads all the forums.

...... Kendra

ramhernan ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:55 AM

Glad to know that the thing goes for a good road, i mean, in case our comments/ranking will be effectively restored, in my case i have the backup images but not the kind comments i lost. And looking at the entire thread i think that always one of the most beaten sectors are the merchants, people that had worked very hard for weeks or even months to bring quality products would be directly damaged i their income. So i humble suggest an merchant union here so they can have a united voice cause they are in the middle, they are a medular part in the site, their sales mantain the whole thing alive and without them there are no busines anymore. So any critic issue can be adressed with them BEFORE any action is taked, in more than one way they act as partner of renderosity. just an opinion.

If it looks as mere real life, then it don't worth the effort.

Bernado ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 11:56 AM

I don't know about everybody else but you won't see any of my images in any contest done in the contest area. I promised never to buy anything more here. And I will keep that promise. I'm sorry for the merchants but I expect to find their products somewhere else. Four of my images were deleted. Without any warning, without any explanation. History has showed us people banned for their political and religious ideas. But this is the most stupid censorship in all humanity's history. None of my images was against Renderosity's TOS either! Right now I don't want to post any more images nor comments. What for? Why have all the trouble if they can be deleted the next time a bout of hysteria hits some of the admins here. I don't accept any apologies! Maybe you think I'm taking this too seriously but they haven't treated me like a person. They deleted my images without consulting. Well, I have a payment to make. Maybe I'll decide that I'm not happy with the service they have given me and I'll cancel it. Don't worry, I'll apologize later! JenyK says the have to improve their communications issues, Well, I don't see how you can improve something you didn't have in the first place.

JeniferC ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 12:01 PM

Sean, just fyi-I am a full time employee for Bondware, Inc which means I have many task and duties...most of which doesn't involve a lot of forum time. The communications will always be something we all have to work on & improve. Everytime a new admin, mod or coord is brought on there is a lot to learn and potential for things to handled improperly. There is a difference between good mistakes and bad mistakes. Through the good ones, we learn. We realize through retrospect what we should have done better or differently, and work to not do the same mistake again. A bad mistake is intentional harm. There was no intentional harm. Every admin, mod or coord is going to make a mistake occasionally. I've learned through this.

Folded ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 12:13 PM

Sorry Jen, but I have to disagree on your definitions here. My view is:

Good Mistake - one in which no harm is done.
Mistake - one in which possible harm is done.
Bad Mistake - one in which irreperable harm is done.

some performing an action with 'intentional harm' is not making a mistake.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 12:19 PM

Thank you for your apology JenyK. When I see that my deleted contest entries have been restored WITH the comments still there, I will be able to forgive and move on past this. Until then, there will continue to be an ache in my heart for what has been lost by me and all the others who have been understandably upset by these actions. Tracey (mutedbanshee) and all the other recent contest sponsors...you all are the best and PLEASE don't feel any guilt...you did nothing wrong!! Jen

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

HenkStenkel ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 12:23 PM

In most countries performing an act with "intentional harm" is a crime...in the U.S. it's a felony. Even in cyberspace it is considered taboo. But in Renderosity's dicionary it a "Bad Mistake".

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 12:54 PM

I've finally read thru all this. And allthough I've been lucky and haven't had any of my pics deleted (at least not as far as I can tell) this still sux. And what sux more is that so many people have decided not to buy anthing more from here. Well.. just remember that eventhough Rosity geots their share of what's sold here, the merchants are the ones that REALLY get hurt here. And yes, I'm a merchant too. If there was another place where you got the same amount of exposure as here, I'd move my stuff there, but fact is there isn't. Perhaps except Daz. The post about the things sold here being crap offends me. I use a LOT of time creating my props. Both my free ones and even more so the things I sell. There may be crap sold here. And some of the things here for sale should IMO(!) be free instead of sold. But then SOMEONE buys them. and one man's trash is another man's treasure. So far I've been a very loyal Rosity supporter. I've on numerous occasions defended them on other sites when they have been bashed. I will probably continue doing so, but this whole affair leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't believe the pictures AND COMMENTS that were deleted are truly gone for good. I don't believe that Rosity haven't got a backup. So PUT THAT BACKUP IN and put people's comments back! Had one of my pictures gone missing that I'd had a lot of comments on, I would have had a fit! So I can SO relate to all the angry peeps here. JenyK, IS there a way to get the pictures and comments back? If so, then please USE it! People can then delete the "contest" part of the title if that's the part that upsets the operation of this site...

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

JeniferC ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 12:59 PM

oh, please don't take my personal comments on mistakes as Renderosity's dictionary or belief. I didn't define the bad mistake very well, but I've seen many knowingly do harm (but may fail to see or understand the full impact) and then claim it as a mistake.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.