Thu, Sep 19, 9:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: THE CRYSTAL PALACE CHALLENGE - VOTE HERE!

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 4:54 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:50 PM
Forum Moderator

Well time's up! BR>I was hoping that AS would get onboard and mediate but he's a very busy bloke. Instead I'm inviting you all to vote in this thread.

Just put DRACULAZ or BRYSTER and any comments you like in your post and we'll count them up in 3 days time.

For those of you who don't know what's been going on for the last 4 weeks or so, I challenged DRAC to do a version of a referance pic in WINGS3D and render it in Bryce, while I agreed to create the same scene in Bryce with no imports.
Drac produced his version in less than a week, while I've just finished mine.
Remember! it was only a FUN challenge!

Thanks to Brycetech and Frogdot for getting in on the act and giving us something to think about.
Thanks to all of you who got on board and gave both Drac and me so much amazing support.

LET THE VOTING BEGIN!

Message edited on: 09/29/2004 17:02

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 4:56 PM
Forum Moderator

The Reference Pic

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 4:58 PM
Forum Moderator

The Crystal Palace by Draculaz

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 5:01 PM
Forum Moderator

The Crystal Palace by The Bryster

jasonmit ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 5:07 PM

Both amazing efforts, but my vote is for- draculaz His seems more real.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 5:29 PM

Tough call. I like them both and the work is incredible. And to think you did that with primitives! Drac's picture I prefer as a picture, but my vote is going to - Bryster. I just feel your model is closer to the reference picture. Sorry Drac. Fantastic effort on your part and an incredible picture.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

RodsArt ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 5:36 PM

I'm with Phil, Dracs render is better and also an amazing bit of modeling, yet the actual build is closer on Brysters model. V-Bryster Amazing effort by both!

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

PAGZone ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 6:03 PM

BRYSTER Both are excellent models, but I think I like Bryster's for getting closer to the ref pic...

diolma ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 6:07 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2004 at 6:09 PM

Looking at both results (and the reference pic), I'm going to wait til next month (or the month after) before making a decision:-))

Slighty ridiculous suggestion: TheBryster and Draculaz get together on a composite image and produce something that'll blow our socks off!!

O O
.^.
_/

Cheers,
Diolma

Message edited on: 09/29/2004 18:08

Message edited on: 09/29/2004 18:09

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 6:26 PM

Yes!

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

karineq ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 6:37 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2004 at 6:38 PM

Drac's picture has more feeling in it. and its technically amazing.
Brysters picture is beautiful and also technically amazing, I would like it even more if you took out the bright green tree in front.
My vote goes to Bryster also because it seems like he just added sooo much more to his. I can't even imagine what the render time would have been with all the glass.
I LOVE the lily pond!

Message edited on: 09/29/2004 18:38

johnyf ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 6:42 PM

Have to go with Bryster...solely on the grounds of being closer to the ref pic! Both are excellent models!

MoonGoat ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 6:43 PM

file_131346.jpg

Both of you deserve ginormous cookies for the modelling shown here. Since the original challenge was to duplicate the picture's model of the crystal palace, with nothin besides the structure being strictly required, I base my vote on modelling evaluation only. The fact of wings vs. bryce has nothing to do with it either. When I consider it, both images have some upsides over the other in various places, which is tough to weight. It eventually came down to nearly-pointless little things that hardly matter like in the photo there appear to be seven cuts in a window, but drac put only six, and stuff like that. By a score of 5 - 3 on my checklist, Bryster wins my vote. Great job both of you. You've each done what I'll never be able to do in this century. **V** to Bryster.

Yoro ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 7:27 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2004 at 7:28 PM

Both are awesome and the technique blows the socks off. You really wanna have a vote? My gosh, hard decision, really ... but ok, the mine goes to Draculaz, because of the pov, the atmosphere and I think it has more depth.
And Diolma's suggestion is something to consider, the result of a teamwork must be mindblowing.

Message edited on: 09/29/2004 19:28

Jaymonjay ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 7:44 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2004 at 7:51 PM

Well Big B, you pulled it off. Looks like I lost my five bucks. Thanks Drac. ;)

I agree with karineq: you should lose the lime-green foliage. Try a desaturate, add a bit of noise, say 5%, followed by a dash of gaussian blur, maybe .5 pixels, and you'd nail this one big time.

At any rate, kudos dudes. Oops. Vote- Bryster

Message edited on: 09/29/2004 19:51

Mahray ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 8:03 PM

Good thing theres a three day voting period, I'm going to need it. Both are brilliant.

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

Ang25 ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 8:06 PM

Vote for the Bryster. More accurate and I like the pond. (chop up that green tree). Love the mood & POV in Drac's pic.

ysvry ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 8:10 PM

i think they are equally good and should do another one :P

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

ysvry ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 8:11 PM

like modeling a human without poser

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

Ornlu ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 8:14 PM

Going to have to go with TheBryster on this one. even though drac's took far less time. The resulting model was more accurate in Bryster's case.

Colette1 ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 8:14 PM

Have to go with Bryster. He is closest to the reference pic. I agree about the tree. It just doesn't fit.

markostimpy ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 8:32 PM

Absolutely Brilliant (bows with utmost respect to both). Vote - Bryster.

Mark S. Popham

markostimpy@gmail.com

MoonGoat ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 8:56 PM

The Bryster: 11 votes Draculaz: 2 votes For the numerically impared, I have counted the votes. I believe the tally is correct, though I may have got lost somewhere around Ang25. Maybe some of the poserites will come and vote, whether this is good or bad, I have yet to decide.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:11 PM

I'm taking into account the speed at which the scene was modeled (doesn't matter to most people, but as a modeler myself, it means a LOT), and the visual asthetics of the final image. I think they're both very well done, and while Bryster's may be more accurate to the original in terms of detail, the final piece isn't as visually pleasing as Drac's. (No offense). Vote - Draculaz.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Ardiva ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:16 PM

I do so like both of them, so I'm going to hold off for a couple of days and then see if I can choose just one.

zandar ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:28 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:37 PM

" I'm taking into account the speed at which the scene was modeled (doesn't matter to most people, but as a modeler myself, it means a LOT), and the visual asthetics of the final image."

Maxxxmodelz, I agree in terms of speed and overall visualization, Drac wins. If both of them were working professionally as modelers and there was a deadline similar to the deadline of the contest, Drac would have more time to make any adjustments to the model as needed, or make any changes the director wanted to make well in advance of the deadline.

HOWEVER, that being said, this was a contest solely based on reproducing the original structure, not particularly about the final image itself (at least that's what I understood from previous posts). In that regard, Drac 'could' have, and probably should have, done more with his model being he had all the extra time left over. Errors like the one Moongoat illustrates above could have been corrected before the deadline.

So, even though I think they both did a fantastic job, I have to vote for accuracy.

Vote: Bryster.

Message edited on: 09/29/2004 21:37

karineq ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:29 PM

I feel bad cause Dracs is such an amazing piece of work. It really is! I truly think you only lost because Bryster added more to his. /hugs

mrscience ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:31 PM

I love both of them, so I took some time to think about it: To be honest, I like draculaz's better in the sense of just an image because it looks more realistic, but I have to go with TheBryster because of the sheer work and accuracy of his. Sorry drac!

captor213 ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:37 PM

My vote to Bryster But drac did an awesome job. Congrats to both.

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 9:49 PM

Attached Link: http://www.iath.virginia.edu/london/model/images/cpe.3.jpg

file_131347.jpg

i just woke up. here's a few points. 1. THIS above is my latest render, not what Bryster posted. There's very few differences, but the differences that DO exist make it better. This piece has been in my gallery for all this time. That specific image is 400kb or so, I had to cut this down in quality, so I'd suggest people go see that. 2. In terms of the spokes or whatever, there's actually SIX of them, at least according to the site above. Take it up with the University of Virginia if you don't like it. 3. The purpose of the challenge, as I understood it, was to create a model of the Crystal Palace. I admit Bryster's slightly better than mine :) All that said, to do this by boolean modelling was crazy. I finished the modelling in 3 days of on and off work. It took me another day or so just to multi-replicate and create the scene in itself. I'm sure Bryster was busy and so on, but for his 303mb file, I have a 160mb one. As far as I'm concerned, given the fact that it was his challenge and his rules, I'm happy with the point I was trying to prove. Mihnea

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 10:01 PM

i'd also like to point out that while I only had the wrml thingies from virginia u and two grainy reference pics (which i was more than happy to post here and share), bryster had detailed, close-up shots from the original blueprints. So it makes a bit of a difference in terms of exactness :) Drac

zandar ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 10:12 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2004 at 10:13 PM

Hmmm. Yeah, that would definitely make a HUGE difference in terms of exactness.

Did Bryster really have detailed closeup shots to work from? Perhaps a new thread should be started for the voting if this is the case, because that knowledge would have influenced my final decision (had I known previously).

Message edited on: 09/29/2004 22:13

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 10:15 PM

yeah he did. in most cases you send a message to the other guy asking, "so dude, you finished? when do you want to post the thread with the voting? hey, where's AS, he was supposed to moderate this?" and so on :) don't get me wrong, i'm not jaded or anything, I know his is the better model, I would have just liked to be announced of the voting :) Drac

zandar ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 10:28 PM

Yeah, in all fairness, if this was to be a truly balanced challenge, then BOTH of you should have had access to the same references. Both working form the same pictures, etc. Ultimately, the point of this challenge was specifically to prove... what? I'm suddenly confused now. Hehehe. ;)

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 10:38 PM

It is hard choosing btween the twixt.. as it was said in Alice in Wonderland. Like Ardiva holding off...me holding off for today.. let my eyes stop being bedazzled and my mind stop being mesmorised and I get down to normal so that I can see them clearer and then vote!

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 11:23 PM

the point of the challenge was to prove which is better/faster/more accurate: boolean modelling or wings3D. a lot of that has to do with the modellers in question. as far as I'm concerned, I haven't done anything more to it after it got to 160-180mb because it was getting ridiculous on a dell laptop. he had more resources at his disposal and did a better job :) drac

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 11:27 PM

curious question..we judge on the model, right? not on the impact of the image on the whole..

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 11:29 PM

well we never figured out exactly what. but since the main point of hte challenge was all wings vs all bryce booleans... shrug safe bet it's the modelling :) drac

MoonGoat ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 11:51 PM

So what now? Re-vote in consideration of these developments? Seems just even considering that Drac wasn't informed of the voting's beginning.

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2004 at 11:55 PM

nah, there's no point in that. i mean even knowing those things bryster still did the better job. i concede to him :)

brycetech ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 12:12 AM

I refuse to vote because anyone who'd try to model this in any way is nutz! kudo's to both...nice job indeedy! lol :P BT

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 12:15 AM

and brycetech knows... because he's the bigger nutter of us three.. 600mb scene, was it? :D

brycetech ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 12:17 AM

732 now :P 21.5 hours to save...lol

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 12:23 AM

erm... seek counselling? lol, j/k

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 12:26 AM

hye brycetech..what are you doing with it?? Why so huge?And do we ever get to see it?

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 12:30 AM

woah there... :D

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 12:37 AM

" the point of the challenge was to prove which is better/faster/more accurate: boolean modelling or wings3D." LOL! Then this proves nothing, because there's nothing to prove. No one in their right mind is going to argue that BOOLEAN modeling is more accurate or efficient a technique than logical subD/poly modeling. That's a no-brainer. Booleans have their place, but efficiency and flexiblility is not one of them. Those are traits that make a technique or approach "better", "faster", and "more accurate". ;-) If someone can boolean model LOTR's "Gollum" and animate him as good as the original, THEN maybe I'd consider the boolean meathod. LOL. Seriously though, you both did a great job.

kimpe ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 1:08 AM

I have a vote for Drac, and a vote for TheBryster.
There, they both get a big wet kiss from the heavy chested blonde!

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 1:17 AM

"There, they both get a big wet kiss from the heavy chested blonde!" Any pics? LOL. Just kidding.

Mahray ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 1:59 AM

Looking at the pics again, I have a few thoughts. Wow. Both of them are beyond what I can do at the moment (and for quite some time, probably). I like the atmosphere and mood in Dracs render better, but The Bryster had more in there. In terms of the modelling, there's not much to choose one over the other. They both work well. Other considerations: Drac took a lot less time to do his, which does count for a fair bit. The Bryster used native Bryce. I like bryce, and I do most of my modelling in it. Looking at Drac's freebies makes my jaw drop, and I have to admit I have no idea how to do any of that in Wings. THE VOTE- It's split. Drac and The Bryster have shown that Bryce and Wings can do basically the same thing, even if the timescale is wildly different. Mahray

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 2:39 AM · edited Thu, 30 September 2004 at 2:39 AM

such different interpretations! makes it hard to chose which one's getting my vote...
I think my vote will go to drac, because the mood appeals to me more in his image.

Message edited on: 09/30/2004 02:39

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.