Wed, Sep 25, 7:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 7:30 am)

Subject: file definitions, names

drhess ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 11:31 AM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 7:36 AM

Hey, few questions: 1. What's the UV in UV maps stand for? 2. What does the cr2 file do if the obj file has the geometry of the character? Does the cr2 file just tell poser where the joints are and how they move? Or more? Thanks! : )

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 11:37 AM
  1. U and V were sort of a compromise, because the two dimensions of a texture can be anywhere in space, or even spherical or cylindrical. Calling them X and Y would get too confusing when the texture is, say, wrapped around an arm. 2. Mainly it carries the joints, but it also includes materials.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

drhess ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 12:33 PM

Thanks. What are Python scripts? Are the run inside of Poser 4?

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 12:43 PM

Plain Poser 4 (now called Poser Artist) can't run scripts. Basically, scripts are a way to do repeated things easily. Change the intensity of all the lights at once, or move the body downward in all frames of an animation. These are tasks that could be done without the script, but might take hours of error-prone repetition. Less basically, scripts can do fancier things, like using a MIDI file to control a model musical instrument, or following a drawn path. These jobs couldn't be done at all without the script.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

geep ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 1:00 PM

file_133769.jpg

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 1:05 PM

file_133770.jpg

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

drhess ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 1:11 PM

Thanks, Geep. So, if the cr2 and obj are owned by another, can you create templates that are arranged differently than the original and still make it work? In other words, if I wanted the hand templates from DAZ unimesh to be in a separate file so that the texture applied to them is much more detailed, is there a way to the cr2 and obj files will still know to apply it correctly?

geep ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 2:43 PM

Hi drhess,

"So, if the cr2 and obj are owned by another, can you create templates that are arranged differently than the original and still make it work?"

In a word ... yes ... but with a caveat.

You can use UVMapper (or any other UV mapping software) to make a map (and then a texture map) for an object (or body part or entire figure). This is done all the time and some very excellent texture maps are sold here in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

However, ...
If you "remap" an object (body part), no one else can use the new map unless you, also, provide them with the new object (geometry) which may be (and probably is) a violation of copyright law since the original object is copyright by the original creator. This would apply to both free and purchased objects usless you have explicit (written) permission from the person who created the original (object - geometry) mesh.

The new "map" and "object" (i.e., geometry) go together so you must use the new object geometry in order for the new texture map to work properly.

Note - You can create a new "map" if you use the original geometry and then, you effectively own the copyright on the map ... but not the object.

This may not be a simple process depending on your level of knowledge and is really beyond the scope of trying to give a more detailed answer here in the forum.

Another Note - You can do whatever you want with whatever you have in your posession, i.e., remap it, change it, trash it, throw it away, etc. as long as you do NOT redistribute it in any form without permission.

"In other words, if I wanted the hand templates from DAZ unimesh to be in a separate file so that the texture applied to them is much more detailed, is there a way to the cr2 and obj files will still know to apply it correctly?"

Yes, you can export the hand (object) and use UVMapper to make a "map" of the original object (i.e., hand).

Next, generate a new texture map (from the "map" created by UVMapper) of whatever size and level of detail that you want.

Then, back in Poser, use the Grouping Tool to make a new "group" for the body part for which you created a new texture map and then apply the new map in the surface material for that part.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

drhess ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 3:15 PM

"In other words, if I wanted the hand templates from DAZ unimesh to be in a separate file so that the texture applied to them is much more detailed, is there a way to the cr2 and obj files will still know to apply it correctly?" Yes, you can export the hand (object) and use UVMapper to make a "map" of the original object (i.e., hand). Next, generate a new texture map (from the "map" created by UVMapper) of whatever size and level of detail that you want. Then, back in Poser, use the Grouping Tool to make a new "group" for the body part for which you created a new texture map and then apply the new map in the surface material for that part. === Right, but there's not way to give or sell this larger more detailed hand texture as part of a total package unless people are willing to do the texture application to the hands themselves. Right? Or can you make a MAT that will just substitute the new, bigger hand texturemap for the old ones on a DAZ figure, for instance, to make it easier for the user and legal for the creator? Make sense?

nomuse ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 5:21 PM

Nope. Using UVmapper or similar to remap the obj file is the only way User #2 can get at the new map created by User *1. Okay, technically, objecation mover could do the task as well but that's messier. We used to trade maps all the time for Posette and her catsuit. A pain, but that's the sort of thing we did.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 6:38 PM

Hi drhess, You are correct in that: There is no way to give or sell this larger more detailed hand texture as part of a total package unless ... You have permission from the owner of the original mesh. You may "remap" a mesh in any way you want for your own use ... = BUT = you may NOT give, sell, redistribute the remapped (i.e., modified) mesh separately or as part of a package without permission. In addition: You can use UVMapper to make a map from a mesh. (object) = BUT = You cannot use UVMapper to make a mesh (object) from a map. cheers, dr geep ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

drhess ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 7:56 PM

"Okay, technically, objecation mover could do the task as well but that's messier." How messy? For the creator or the user?

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 8:02 PM

Well, there IS a way. If you remap an object using UVMapper, it's possible to save just the UVs (Save UV coordinates, results in a .uvs file). That .uvs file is redistributable. The receiver of the .uvs file must own the original .obj, and use UVMapper (the free one does the trick) to load the .obj, apply the .uvs file, and then save out as a new .obj. Arduino uses this trick for his remapped V3 character Tiziana. As far as I know, this way of distributing remapped objects is allowed by DAZ.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

drhess ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 8:11 PM

gotcha. makes sense. are people willing to buy something with those extra steps?

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 8:21 PM

Apparently, yes. The Tiziana character is not a freebie, I bought her. And there are quite a few products that require the use of RTEncoder or Objaction Mover in the marketplace. UVMapper, RTEncoder and Objaction Mover are free, so there are no "hidden costs."

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 3:49 AM

The extra steps mean more hassle for the customers, but if it's something they want, that's the only way to get it. You might need to provide a bit more user support as a result. I've had people download freebies from my site without realising that they needed to own something else to make it work. The text is clear enough, but not everyone reads English that well. By the way, Maz allows Objaction Mover to be used only for non-commercial applications, so if there's something in the marketplace that needs it, he'd probably like to know. :)

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 3:52 AM

Some applications use UVW mapping, although I don't understand how that differs from UV - both processes end up with a two dimensional map. But UVW comes before XYZ - that's why those letters were chosen. Nothing to do with ultraviolet. :)

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 12 October 2004 at 5:33 AM

There's a wonderful product to make your own really cool cyborg here in the store by andygraph. I don't know how many he's sold, but I'll tell ya, it's something I plan to get one day myself, lol. It does, however, require a great deal of effort and patience to set up for use - so yeah, if the product is cool, folks will do what they need to to use it.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.