Fri, Sep 20, 7:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Hot 20 Jealousy

avalonfaayre ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2004 at 4:40 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:24 AM

I know that this has been done to DEATH...but there is so much strife and dissention, jealousy and personal attacking going on over this Hot 20 stuff...Why don't we vote on whether or not it should exist? An alternative would be for the mediators of each community choose amongst themselves an artist to give special recognition to each month. I hate this so bad. People I care about are getting hurt, and I am ready to go somewhere else.

Richardphotos ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2004 at 5:32 PM

Randee what ever is the outcome, do not leave. You art and writings are a necessary part of the community here at least for me. I will comment on art no matter the quality,who submiited, and rank as long as it is a part here. I will vote on images that I feel had a lot of imagination, effort, quality, composition, and for whatever reason may pop into my head. I comment on many artists work, and probably because of their scedule are unable to return the same.BUT it makes no difference to me wheter they do or not for whatever reason. My opinion on other art is just that, nothing more nothing less. Just hope I can continue to have friends here and make new ones.

avalonfaayre ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2004 at 5:47 PM

I understand your feelings, but I think it is time for a solution. Lets vote the Hot 20 out of existance, it it is an option. It is a breeding ground for dissention. Can I get a "whoop whoop???" lol

jocko500 ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2004 at 10:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=107&Form.ShowMessage=2032228

bryce just like to disable the vote button when you upload so you have a choose to play in the hot20 or not. that way the hot20 means nothing to them. check out my link what I think and if you donot understand just ask me www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=107&Form.ShowMessage=2032228

what you see is not what you know; it in your face

avalonfaayre ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2004 at 10:16 PM

Jocko, it may all be solved for now, but it rears its nasty head all of the time in different forums and by different "artists". I think the faults of the Hot 20 far outweigh it's benefits. My observations.

nickcharles ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2004 at 2:27 AM

The Hot 20 is right now being thoroughly evaluated, I can assure you that :D Nick

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
......................................................................................................
"For every breath, for every day of living, this is my Thanksgiving."
-Don Henley

avalonfaayre ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2004 at 12:51 PM

And Thus...I rest the matter in your capable hands. Thanks Nick. :))

squeeka ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2004 at 3:57 AM

I don't believe it's solved avalonfaayre.. And it's not going to be solved ever as people in a community just cannot seem to get along all the time. Some take constructive criticism well, others don't. Some people choose to send that criticism in IM's, some post it in comments. It's such a shame that people feel they have to leave or are asked to leave when they simply express their views and feelings about somone else's work. My advice to those of you who get upset when people critique your work,try this... post under a new account and see what happens. Then you'll truly know whether you got into the Hot 20 on merit or just on friendship. I know the mod's don't like that idea as it creates bogus accounts but most people wouldn't even dare try it but it'd be a damn good way to see if it's really your work or your friendship getting you into the HOT 20. Just my two cents on the matter which will probably get me in trouble as always but you know what, the Hot 20 is such a bed of contention in quite a few of the galleries, maybe it is time to do away with that little vote button.

Faewind ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2004 at 11:56 AM

I totally agree. At least give us the option of whether or not we want to "play". We are not 5 year olds who need constant approval. We are adults. A sad situation that some of us don't realize it. I try to be constructive, if I offer critique, but frankly, I am scared to death to say anything anymore. War breaks out! You have to deal with that person and all of their friends, as though it is a persona attack! I tried what you said, and it is funny. You are absolutely RIGHT!

kymarto ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2004 at 2:19 AM

Do what I do--ignore it. There is always going to be this grading and judging with us, it is deeply embedded in our society. Get rid of the Hot 20 and the same probelm with appear somewhere else in your life. You have the choice--just opt out. Toby

PaulDeCelle ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2004 at 1:47 PM

I agree with Toby - Just ignore it, because it's essentially meaningless. I wouldn't object to an opt-out option when uploading, but it's not something I feel is all that urgently needed, either.

Deagol ( ) posted Fri, 10 December 2004 at 8:22 PM

We have talked this one to death. The hot 20 can suck you in the same way that comments can. Even when you understand that it's a popularity vote it is still hard to ignore. Like comments, it can become an obsession. The very reason that we display our art here is have it be viewed and accepted by other people. The hot 20 re-enforces that drive to be accepted. It took me months and a few mass deletes to figure this out but I have concluded that there isn't anything about this place that should be taken too seriously. For example, no offense to Apophysis lovers but I seldom see flames that I find interesting anymore, yet there are always flames in the hot 20. I am OK with that. I don't care. Lots of us like flames and that's cool with me. As far as comments go, when I ask for help, I get it. It just happened on my most recent image and I appreciate it. I have given help but after offending a few strangers I learned not to do it with them. If you get help from me it's because I know you and I have confidence in you. Take it as a complement. I think that the hot 20 is fine as is. I'll be honest and say that I think that my TIA images should have been all over it, but only a couple have made it there. I have stopped wondering why things like that happen or not, mostly because it isn't worth getting excited about. I speak from experience, it doesn't matter what happens in the hot 20. Whether you are always at the top or never make it there, it does not matter. Take it and everything else here with a grain of salt. Just have fun. That's the bottom line. Don't count comments and don't sweat the hot 20.

fractalchemist ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2004 at 10:40 AM

I think we should drop the hot 20, just like that! And then see what happpen...LOL Have a great weekend, guys! I love you all, Eveline

CriminallyInsane ( ) posted Tue, 14 December 2004 at 6:20 PM

You can't just drop the Hot 20, it would cause chaos! People would be destroyed...If they aren't in the Hot 20 then how the hell are we supposed to know what a fantastic artist they are? Tsk tsk, shame on you people for even thinking such a thing... Besides, what about the hundreds of people that like to end all their comments with V or Vote? They will have to think up something new with which to annoy the rest of us... No, dropping the Hot 20 is totally out of the question... I say we just reduce it to a Hot 3, and sit back and watch the fun! It would cause an arse kissing inflation of biblical proportions!... I deleted the rest of this post because I got a bit carried away...But I think I made my point. Matt.

WahlCat ( ) posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 4:52 AM

Just joined Renderosity about a week ago and thought I'd add my 2.37 cents worth of perspective on this issue as a Newbie.
Since coming here I have been absolutely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of incredibly beautiful and fascinating artwork here. There simply wouldn't be enough time to vote or comment on all the great work here even if I were online 24/7.
2 things that are I've found to be so:

1. Art like Beauty and Truth is subjective. What's a Hot 20 to one critic is a Lower 40 to another.
  2. Politics and favoritism are a part of life online (not to mention back-stabbing and gossip.
    for these reasons, counting comments and votes is a complete waste of time and emotional energy. We're all here because we love to create and we want to share our creations with others...at least that's why I'm here; also to make friends with people who are into what I'm into.
    So let's all hang lose and let the creativity flow!
    There's enough war on CNN! ;0)

jocko500 ( ) posted Wed, 15 December 2004 at 7:53 PM

well say WahlCat you say it diff that what I did in bryce but we all diff and do things diff and that what make life so lovely[in the art world lol] just hang loose and go with what your mind like lol I better keep my mouth close some one may thing I am not all there

WahlCat ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 6:43 AM

That's the way my friend. We just keep creating and posting what we want to share, and soon there will be peace on earth and good will to all people. LOL!

kansas ( ) posted Thu, 16 December 2004 at 12:37 PM

;)) ;)) Hey Matt, I like the idea of a Hot 3!!! That is about the amount of mind boggling images here each week, actually. Marion

SimonKane ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 1:19 AM

I haven't logged into this site for over three months, but I just knew they'd be a current debate about the Hot 20 in the Forum. :-) I have missed it all; it always gives me a good laugh!

jocko500 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2004 at 10:47 PM

the only ones that donot talk about the hot 20 is 2d and now bryce calm down after some getting booted out of renderosity or got a warning. It was hard over there; they may be senting im's to each other hahahahaha who cares just have fun and do not worry about it. Thank of Van Gogh; yes he wish to be liked but he keep on going even when all was agaist him.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.