Sun, Sep 22, 3:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Can I save Vue 4 objects as .obj?

Shiollie ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2005 at 1:14 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 3:53 AM

If not is there a converter so I can convert the .vob into .obj? Thanks

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2005 at 1:57 PM

Only Vue 4 Pro can export objects in other formats than .vob. There is no other converted that I know of.

Shiollie ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2005 at 7:04 PM

Thanks agiel, I kind of thought as much after a web search for converters didnt turn up much :(. I thought of upgrading to Vue 4 pro, but cant swing it right now.. darn it :)

tesign ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 12:32 AM

It be great if some great programmer out there can write a converter utility like that for vob obj to be converted to other more common format..that goes for their trees and terrain too without having to buy the pro version.

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 4:45 AM

Was it something that you created in Vue or a vob that came with Vue? If you created it I will convert it for you, don't think I can do it with their stuff though. Marque

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 4:47 AM

file_174500.jpg

Just so you know I just converted the walnut tree to obj and this is what you get. Marque

Shiollie ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 7:25 AM

tesign,you can convert any terrian into the .obj format. I figured this out yesterday.. go to your terrian editor and create your terrian then simply export it in the .obj format. Just make sure you have a folder set up somwhere on your hard drive that you can put the terrian and the maps that go with it into, and make sure that the map is in .jpg format so you can apply the map in another program.

tesign ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 7:37 AM

Thank you Shiollie :) I'm aware of that. Sorry if I did not expressed myself clearly. What I meant was, whoever comes off with the converter utility, hopefully converting Vue 4 terrain into obj or other format be included too. Marque..not sure how you did that thru out of Vue 4 or with other 3rd party conversion utulity beside hearing that Vue Pro can do it...but does that include the texture in .mtl as for objor perhaps if its 3ds, does the texture comes with it to be imported into other 3d program? I aware of Okino Polytrans an Right Hemisphere Deep Explorer and I believe they do not do Vue vob stuff. It would kind of you to let us know how you did that Vue tree conversion though...if its a trade secret, I'll understand :) Thanks.

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 9:49 AM

Used Vue 4 Pro, can you use the .mtl in poser? Thanks, Marque

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 9:53 AM

Just tried, no go. Marque

tesign ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 10:54 AM

Thank for your trouble and time Marque, that's gonna be tough to have it texture map with UVMapper Pro too...I presume.

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 11:12 AM

That is a thought though..lol Did you have something that you made in Vue that you wanted to export to obj? Marque

tesign ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 11:46 AM

Thanks for your offer to help...appreciate that. "..in Vue that you wanted to export to obj"..no not now but I'll take that up someday if I still don't own Vue 4 Pro and the need to do so. I'm waiting for all the upgrade to settle down...looks like it never stop and I dislike having to install program each time they asked for your previous "upgrade from" serial number. If I decide to buy Vue 5 or "infinite"..whatever, I rather buy completely new than to side grade or upgrade. Just me I guess as I'm bad at keeping disc and serial number...can't seem to find them when you need them..LOL! Thanks again.

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2005 at 12:36 PM

I write all the s.n.'s in the new manual. Started with Vue 3 so there are a few now...lol I just can't afford not to upgrade, too expensive to buy the full version each time. 8^) Marque

jc ( ) posted Fri, 28 January 2005 at 1:05 AM

Been testing export of objects made in Vue 4 Pro from primitives, and exported in .OBJ format - with mixed (mostly failed) results. But i can pass on a few lessons: 1. Best to "Bake to polygons" before you export or you do boolean operations. 2. If you apply a custom material (one you made by opening your own texture file into a simple material), then scale (and maybe offset) it to fit your object, don't later drag your object in one of the views - the material will move on the object! (hard to believe huh?). If you "Bake to polys" first, or move your object by changing its coordinate numbers, the material will stick just fine. I'm still experimenting, but best results so far are with this workflow: Silo 3D (tesselate, since Vue works only with triangular polys) > UV Mapper Pro (save texture with "Swap Y&Z" feature turned on and be sure to use "Default" buttom before setting output parameters) > Vue 4 Pro > .OBJ export > (may need to apply original texture again). Most difficulty seems to be creating geometry all in Vue and trying to export it. Geometry made well in another 3D program and well UV Mapped seems to be less of a problem. Wish Vue had a "Swap Y&Z" option on export, like UV Mapper Pro does. None of my other 3D programs use Z for vertical.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.