Tue, Sep 24, 3:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:07 am)

Subject: Poser 6 Sneak Peak

Curious_Labs ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 7:52 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 10:49 PM

file_180537.jpg

Secret # 1 - Shadow Catcher With the new Shadow Catcher you can render shadows independent of background surfaces for easy image composition. Illustrate virtually any media with 3D figures and shadows from Poser 6. And the Shadow Catcher works with new lighting features in Poser 6 Poser 6 will be revealed in Spring 2005. To be first to receive exclusive peeks sign up for the Curious News. Hi, I wanted to offer you the artwork that went out in the Curious Labs newsletter today so you'd have a chance to see. I know many will have more questions, and I wish I could offer more today - but will keep posting more details as we can. Hope you enjoy. Kind regards, Katherine

krimpr ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 7:57 PM

Hey cool! I got here first!

Robo2010 ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 7:58 PM

Oh man.."teasers.". Trying to tease, and make me cry? :-)

zippyozzy ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 8:00 PM

oh man, can't wait for this to comeout. ;)

odeathoflife ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 8:02 PM

I thought I was suppose to know 24hrs before a forum post :) I only got the email about an hour ago.

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

Mazak ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 8:06 PM

I hate this 'teasers' !!! I want the full product information NOW !! :-/

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 8:11 PM

Does that mean when you use Background images that it will now actually cast shadows on them for more realism?

Curious_Labs ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 8:30 PM · edited Fri, 04 February 2005 at 8:42 PM

Attached Link: http://www.maxoncomputer.com/tutorial_detail.asp?tutorialID=243&site=

Hi SteveJax, If I tried to explain this myself - you'd certainly be at a loss. Here's a tutorial of shadow catcher from Maxon. BTW, Body Studio 2.5 is out for Cinema 4D - plug in for Poser 5 - and we'll have an upgrade path discount for P6. More details on pricing later.

Hope the tutorial helps to explain.

Kind regards,
Katherine

Message edited on: 02/04/2005 20:42

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 8:31 PM

(SPECULATION MODE ON) Hmm. New Lighting features. Perhaps the POINT light you folks want is there. I think its there in SHADE so why not? (SPECULATION MODE OFF)

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 9:19 PM

So that's a yes?

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 9:37 PM

Not to be a snit or anything...but I sent you/CL an IM and asked a ?...you rec'd the IM but haven't responded...I'd like a response please :) Regrading V5I & Poser 6 compatability. I don't mean to de-reail a thread...but since you are posting here..... Sorry..I'm quite cranky at the moment >:(.

Curious_Labs ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 9:45 PM

Hi dlk30341, I just replied to your IM. Sorry, have been posting, posting, posting. For all that read - I'll be back Monday morning to take a look at the thread. With kind regards, Katherine

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 10:35 PM

Katherine, So... almost 8 pm on a Friday night and you think you have the right to go home for the weekend? :sheesh!: We'd bring the pizza and coffee and let you catch a nap on Sunday. We'd even supply a toothbrush. Carolly the Oh-so-Helpful

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2005 at 10:37 PM · edited Fri, 04 February 2005 at 10:39 PM

Thanks Katherine...got it :) It might help/aide if you check out the Vue forums here as well & over at E-ON, as everyone is concerned and reply there as well :) Have a great night :)

Message edited on: 02/04/2005 22:39

Lawndart ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 12:25 AM

Now "THAT" is a welcomed new feature!

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 1:07 AM

This belongs in the "I want it NOW!" forum ;-D

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 2:54 AM

I really do hope that not all of the new features are light and render related, this doesn't excite me at all. I never use Poser rendering & light abilities except for previewing, I always render in other applications. Well, it's just the first 'sneak preview', I really do hope the other still to come will excite me too! Guess the best will be reserved for last (as usual)......

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 3:04 AM

OK I've checked out that tutorial & I'm intrigued by the possibilities of this new toy :) will it be editable in poser in the same way as in Cinema?

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Staby ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 6:05 AM

Cool feature. I'm looking forward to see the new content though... that is a big selling point for me. I really hope it is better and more realistic than the Poser 5 people... Was the Face Room improved too?

Aeneas ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 7:03 AM

Bodystudio is way too expensive for what it offers. InterPoser ( www.kuroyumes-developementzone.com ) is much cheaper and offers far better value for its money. And will offer much more in the pro version.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

Berserga ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 8:34 AM

I'm very glad to hear that you are taking things like compositing into consideration. I use compositing extensively in my animation. (Bauhauss Mirage, and Adobe Photoshop) ^_^

geoegress ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 10:15 AM

hummm- not impressed without point lights and true hdri P6 won't have much draw for me anymore.

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 10:32 AM

Geoegress.. how about hanging on for a bit? thats just the first teaser! we don't know whats coming next.. unless you do already? _______________________ I propose a whole new idea to the community. no negativitly. yes. mistakes were made with poser 5. but a company can come back from such a shortfall and produce a good product. anyone remember DOS4? Windows ME? hmm? it seems this is the only community that won't give a company a chance to redeem themselves! so how about we just see whats coming up and save the badreviews for when we actually have the product in our hands to dissect? or is that just a hopeless wish?

geoegress ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 11:00 AM

Hi Khai :) Not me, I'm just a peon like the rest of us. Totally yes, they can redeem them selfs. But no matter what other toys and whistles they put in, the lighting and material systems are so bad that we poser users will never ever be accepted into the larger CG world as serious. LOL, trust me, if they made it possible to create a render at least near as good as c4d or 3dsmax et el I'll be singing there praises far and wide. But alas, sense p4 every serious user has been crying for a better lighting system. And we've been ignored!! This isn't just a 'want', it is a 'necessity'. Everything from the current RR book to offsite jobs depends on it. Poser is on the cutting edge of greatness, all it takes is the right step :) and please, lol, just call me Geo, so much easier to type :P

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 11:09 AM

the lighting I agree on.. but materials? the Mat Room is one of the most powerful I've seen.. equal to Maya etc.. if we know how to use it. did you know that Maya uses a similar node system? one of the most respected addons for Lightwave, Max, trueSpace and Cinema4D. Darktree, also uses the same type of node based system. trust me.. we've only started to scratch the surface of what that system can do.

ynsaen ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 11:42 AM

1 - This isn't right. Kahi and I cannot ruin a perfectly good relationship by both being supportive of poser 6. It is another sign of the apocolypse. 2 - Note that this sort of shadowing system is required in order to use Image Based Lighting to it's utmost capability. IBL is the structure that includes HDRI. Combine HDRI with the current lighting system in place and that shadowing method, and you have one of the most powerful lighting models available in rendering today. It's easy to bash the poser light kit becuase the poser light kit is not easy to master. But to say that it is crap is wrong -- it's just very, very rarely used properly. Add a point light in, and well, heh. 3-"I really do hope that not all of the new features are light and render related, this doesn't excite me at all. " Well, then prepare to get excited.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 11:57 AM

well the 5 horsemen are knocking on the door here... Haylp! Death, Famine, War, Pollution and Khaos... (Pestilence retired in the 20's complaining about something called Penicillin and Khaos left before the other 4 got famous and has only recently rejoined....)

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 12:09 PM

Katherine, I personally think this feature is great as I do a lot of noir work and it will be easier to get the shadows to behave ;)

zippyozzy ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 12:12 PM

I hope it will be less of a file hog & scaled down for us poor souls who don't own 30-40gig hard drives. heh.

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 12:58 PM

Hard drive space is VERY cheap.. I just got a 250 gig one for my wife for $30 after rebates! Time for you to upgrade, perhaps? Bring it on! ;)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

drgonzo ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 1:40 PM

Not impressed at all... actually when curiouslabs bought shade i expected to have the shade render engine included within P6 ... so this is no WOW at all. I don't like those marketing announcements... of course P6 will be the best product on earth and of course it will be a milestone in cg history - but I want to create content for Poser, and it would be very informative to hear more about real new features to have an idea in which direction Poser goes and where new sales opportunities for content producers are - and not "yes we can do lightning much better now" (sry but i am not in the best mood today ;-) )

ynsaen ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 1:48 PM

"actually when curiouslabs bought shade i expected to have the shade render engine included within P6" And there was the catch. You see, CL didn't buy shade. Shade (E-frontier) bought CL. Specifically to keep the two separate. Vain hope. The content creation direction for poser will continue to favor current capabilites and the need for continuing to develop for Poser 4 and Daz Studio. And light sets sell rather well ;)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 2:00 PM

I just hope P6 doesn't have Content Paradise or finds a way to turn it off to decrease loading time. Ysaen, I've never bought a light set especially since Traveler gives so man great ones away... BTW, not all the secrets have been revealed yet so lets not jump to any conclusions...

ynsaen ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 2:02 PM

"I just hope P6 doesn't have Content Paradise or finds a way to turn it off to decrease loading time." PBM -- since I'm first in line everytime for them lights, I know what ya mean, lol one secret already revealed: CP will still be there.

akura_ ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 2:30 PM

What about compatability with Poser 5 and 4. Well we still be able to use those modles. I hate to spend 200$ on a program to find out that my models dont work.

ynsaen ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 2:32 PM

Yes

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 3:16 PM

Akura, check your runtime, the model library has been growing since Poser 1. With each new release, there has been a new set of figures. I'm really excited to see what the new figures will look like especially since the bar has been set pretty high with DAZ giving M3 and V3 away free. Ysaen, argg, I'm not a big fan of CP. I just hope that its a way of downloading free stuff and not a shopping system this time....

akura_ ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 3:30 PM

Yah, that content paradise sucks.

mathman ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 5:01 PM

I hope that the new Poser's Judy (if she still exists) will look a bit less like the Bride of Frankenstein.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 5:14 PM

Perhaps CL will regress to ChrisD's original design for Judy (assuming they kept the original files for Adrienne).

zippyozzy ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 5:42 PM

Time for you to upgrade, perhaps? Not able to with my budget. I have a small laptop crammed with 3D stuff with little room to spare. Saving to buy P6 first. lol.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 5:46 PM

LD, wasn't ChrisD's orginal design inspired by some painting? I never saw a picture of the original mesh, but I think they changed the figure to be more compatible with the face room. Mathman, I think Judy will remain unchanged. I suspect there will be a new generation of figures rather than add-ons for the last as Judy was not well received. I tend to wonder if some of the content providers for P5 such as Neftis and Hmann are working on P6. Neftis has been away for quite a while. Personally, I think CL would be smart to go after some of these 3rd party figures the community already knows about like Maximus and Kaimira that there have been a lot of hype about in the forums. That way they would have an extensive figure library for the artist's particular style.

Dale B ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 6:00 PM

Word is that Sixus 1 is providing new content....

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 6:11 PM

Les is providing new content, but that doesn't necessarily mean human figures...

Lawndart ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 7:54 PM

I think he mentioned something along the lines of what he is working on is not monsters.

ynsaen ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 9:17 PM

"Les is providing new content, but that doesn't necessarily mean human figures..." As noted by lawndart, and, if Rebekah will forgive me and Les will avoid smooshing me.... This thought doesn't excite me. Sixus1's team does good work, but the mapping on them is sometimes less that acceptable to me, and I do not find the figures typically appealing aesthetically. (these are opinions, folks, not condemnations. I have a rather specifc set of criteria that I'm struggling to meet for my own self, and haven't achieved it often enough. This doesn't mean the products are crappy.) Outside of that, however, the rigging and system functionality is superb -- they do not hesitate to make use of features within the program, they use advanced rigging methods, and they don't shy away from experimenting. They also take umbrage rather easily with folks (though mellowing of late), and if folks greet their hard work with the equivalent level of enthusiasm that Judy was recieved, I fear we may well lose them. I don't want to see that. Will be interesting, to say the least.

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 9:22 PM

rasp and there's where me and Ynsaen stop agreeing with each other;) Khai - Sixus Team Member ;)

ynsaen ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 9:25 PM

lol No harm meant, Khai -- but we've still got everything else in P6 to defend as a team. hee hee

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 9:26 PM

thaaats true!

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 9:40 PM

Cubed did the last figures and RDNA did the textures, so hypothetically, if Les did the figures that is not to say he would be involved with the texturing. I think Sixus1 handles criticism well especially since there were not-so-friendly comments about HER. When it was mentioned Les was involved, it was immediately assumed he was doing the figures, but it's been posted that the speculations in the forums are way off. Les is under NDA so he wouldn't be able to confirm whether he is working on the figures or not. The fact that he is still working on project human freebie would lend me to believe he is developing something else for P6. But that's just my speculation...

Latexluv ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2005 at 10:48 PM

Anyone know if there is greater support for Mats/Shaders? I would really like to be able to somehow import Bryce or Vue Mats. Some sort of system or Python script that would import them and translate them into a P5/P6 Mat. Also did they create in P6 something similar to a light gel in Bryce?

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.