Fri, Sep 20, 2:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: OT- Blender versus Wings - your thoughts

shadownet ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 12:02 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:29 AM

Hi, I would appreciate any comments/feedback anyone has on how the two modeling programs compare to each other. I am limited in how much time I have to spend, but have tried to compare them. But, found myself lost, so it means I really need to just pick one and learn to use it. So, which one do you recommend? Thanks in advance. :O)

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 12:16 PM

If all you care to do is use it for modeling, then Wings is probably the better choice, as that's basically all it does, and it does it well. If you want an overall 3D solution, then Blender has more to offer.

Tools : ย 3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 12:18 PM

Personally, I prefer Anim8or. :-)

anxcon ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 12:22 PM

i like blender better for modelling, quick and easy tried wings, got lost, and blender has everything i need www.elysiun.com is a site entirely to blender tons of tuts if you need em

shadownet ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 12:22 PM

thanks maxxx... @randym77 - ok, so why?

shadownet ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 12:23 PM

xpost - thanks anxcon

bushi ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 12:40 PM

I've always preferred Wings over Blender simply because of the interface. Wings3D's uncluttered interface is easier for me to work in especially during those times I need to have more then one view open. As was noted earlier, Wings isn't for animation so if all you're doing is modeling it's a good choice. I'd also suggest popping over to the Wings3D forum if you have any specific questions.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 12:44 PM

I just found Anim8or easiest to learn to use. I tried a bunch of others, free and pay, and Anim8or was far and away the easist. I couldn't even follow a basic tutorial in Wings. But with Anim8or, I was making usable items within the afternoon. I uploaded my first free stuff that day. (I've since taken it down due to bandwidth issues, but it was a toy wind-up mouse, complete with poseable tail, wheels, and smart-propped key. :-)

YMMV, of course. But for me, Anim8or was the most user-friendly. Didn't need any tutorial or anything; I just opened it up and start modelling. I own Shade now, but still use Animor to make quickie props for Poser when I can't find something I need.

RawArt ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 12:44 PM

wings was the first modelling program that did not give me headaches trying to figure out how to do things. I am still a novice with it, but cannot recommend it high enough for my basic needs.

shadownet ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 1:00 PM

Thanks guys. I am still a novice too, and have tried Anim8or but just could not get the knack for it. Maybe I am doomed to fail at 3d, but not giving up yet. I am mostly interested in modeling and like the idea of a clean interface without a bunch of other stuff to confuse me, so wings sounds like the way to go for now. The big thing for me is to have useful help resources when learning, like good tutorials and forums to draw upon, and it sounds like both programs have that - so that is great. :O)

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 2:46 PM

You're not doomed to fail. But as this thread has shown, the software one person finds easy, another may find impossible. Find something that works for you. There's lots of free 3d modelling software available:

http://www.planit3d.com/source/software_files/3dmod.html

And you can try the demos of the commercial programs, too. (Shade is only $49 for Poser owners!)

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 2:58 PM

Personally, I prefer Anim8or. :-)

I favour MilkShape, myself. But then, I never tried Blender or Wings.

Somehow, I doubt they have as much plugin and file-format support.

I've always preferred Wings over Blender simply because of the interface.

That's why I abandoned trueSpace; I didn't like the direction Caligari was going with the interface.

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 4:09 PM

Wings is easier to pick up, and does most modeling tasks well. Blender does everything, but the interface takes some getting used to. It's got a steep learning curve. I've also tried several modeling programs, but Wings was the easiest for me to learn. (Have to agree about Truespace..but then I couldn't figure out which direction it was going in the first place..;)
Since Wings and Blender (and Anim8tor) are free, download each, and give 'em a shot. There's no telling which one you'll like best..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

zippyozzy ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 5:36 PM

I'm the Opposite, I found wings to be difficult to learn and gave up on it. Too much reading involved, you need to learn the tuts or you won't be able to pickup on it that easily. (JMHO)

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 5:56 PM

has anyone heard of the makehuman script for Blender?

fls13 ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 8:11 PM

Love Blender. It has been a great app for me. Didn't care for wings. Blender's been able to do anything I want from a modeling standpoint. The rendering has gotten a lot better the last few versions, although I'm now big on POVray, also freeware.

odeathoflife ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 8:35 PM

trueSpace here (I love the interface, and IMO it is on par with 3dsMax for workflow) tS4 is available on the 3d graphics mags this month I hear and 3 is available for free @caligari's site if I remember correctly. gmax (free 3dsMax4)is a good solution but to get anything useable out of it you need plugins. Tempest and a md3 converter program

โ™ ฮฉ Poser eZine ฮฉโ™ 
โ™ ฮฉ Poser Free Stuff ฮฉโ™ 
โ™ ฮฉ My Homepage ฮฉโ™ 

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

ย 

shadownet ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 8:44 PM

Thanks again to everyone leaving feedback. I appreciate it. I am still bouncing back and forth in my mind as to which one I want to get serious about. I guess that means I need to play around with them both a bit more and see which grows on me.

Oh, I wanted to download the python plugin for obj but could not get the link to the page to load. Does anyone know of another link or if the plugin is still available. Also, does anyone notice wings3d getting bogged down on when importing a large obj file?

I tested the V3 obj in to anim8or and it loads fast, but when I try it in wings my system seems to grow real sluggish. Wanted to test blender, but ran into the prob getting the plugin. :o(

Any one know how an obj (like V3) imported into blender would compares to wings? As far as performance goes?
My system is a Pentium 2.0, Win2k, 1 GB ram, with 256 Radion video card. Obj loads and manipulates well in Anim8or but system bogs and goes sluggish on me in wings3d.

zippyozzy ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 9:10 PM

V3 might be too large of a file for programs like wings and blender.

odeathoflife ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 9:17 PM

v3 loads well into tS (it bogs it down a bit but I rarely work on the whole figure in the program)

โ™ ฮฉ Poser eZine ฮฉโ™ 
โ™ ฮฉ Poser Free Stuff ฮฉโ™ 
โ™ ฮฉ My Homepage ฮฉโ™ 

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

ย 

shadownet ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2005 at 9:22 PM ยท edited Tue, 15 February 2005 at 9:32 PM

Well, that should not be a problem, since I will mainly be modeling in the prog, I just was suprised wings bogged down because Anim8or handled the obj file size okay.

Message edited on: 02/15/2005 21:32

zippyozzy ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 1:06 AM ยท edited Wed, 16 February 2005 at 1:13 AM

What version of V3 are you using? I use the DAZ V3 SAE and it's over 30megs when I save it as an object file and import it to Bryce. I think the standard V3 is around a 20meg file without the added extras. Even in Bryce V3 tends to bog it down as it loads. I noticed that the larger the file size, the longer it takes to import to another 3D program.

Message edited on: 02/16/2005 01:13

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 6:24 AM

Anim8or is a very lean and mean program. And it handles OBJs, Poser's native format, very well. That's one reason why I still use it, though I now have pricier modelling software. I can whip out a quick prop in Anim8or without leaving Poser, without noticeable slowing in either app.

jupiterkris ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 7:43 AM

Anim8or .

A_ ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 9:09 AM

jupiterkris ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 9:12 AM

I tried Wings, Blender, Milkshape and Anim8or for vertex modelling . I find ... Wings' functions too esoteric . Blender's interface too complicated . Milkshape too slow in large import/export and is commercial . I find Anim8or (by Steven Glanville, Windows only) best ... It has primitives, point, edge, face tools, ... standard lathe, extrude, mirror, weld, join, ... inset, thickness, subdivision, deformer, ... a simple interface, ... And good documentation and tutorials .

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 10:38 AM

@zippyozzy - I used the blMilWom_V3 obj from the geometry folder, weighs in around 8.12 mbs.

@randym77, jupiterkris, and any other Anim8or user. Okay, maybe I misjudged Anim8or. I was lead to believe, perhaps incorrectly, that it was a bit limited in tools and what kinds of modeling projects you can do. I am not just wanting to learn to make props, but would also like to learn to model organtic figures at some point. So, I would be interested in hearing any more comments you have on Anim8or and how powerful or limited you think it might be compared to say wings3d, blender, etc. Thanks. :O)

I have no real understanding of modeling, other than I taught myself how to make props and stuff in Poser. Often a real pain, and often very limited. I want to get more serious about modeling, but I find myself lost and confused when I start trying to compare these programs, because I really do not have a good basic knowlege of modeling to start with. Thus it is hard to know what I need to look for in a modeling program. I just know I want to pick one that will have the tools and resources necessary to let me learn to make just about anything I might want to try modeling.

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 3:41 PM

well shadownet you are either running screaming or savoring an embarassment of riches! I found wings difficult to get 'under my skin' but fell in love with trueSpace the minute I opened it and started flying around with the joystick. I am barely on the first slope of the learning curve but I know I am in the right place. Good Poser--truespace--poser path with plugin. I have 5.2 ::::: Opera :::::

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 3:51 PM ยท edited Wed, 16 February 2005 at 3:54 PM

Hi operaguy - no screaming so it must be savoring the riches. I am a bit surprised at the huge response this thread got, but also very appreciative. If nothing else, it has helped to drive home that often what seperates one modeling program from another is not actually what the program can or can not do so much as how the person using it can relate to it. I too am finding myself getting frustrated with wings as I bounce back and forth between it and blender, trying to get a feel for them. So, blender is looking good to me now. No, not being fickled, I hope. Just finding what I am comfortable with - er, I think early on some wise person here pointed that out. Okay so I am slow on the uptake. Hehe. :O) Oh, have not tried truespace yet. Did not want to get too ambitions in trying too many programs out at one time. Once I chose between blender and wings, I will compare that choice against some of these others. Ultimate, who know, I might even manage to pick one to use. Now that would be something. :O)

Message edited on: 02/16/2005 15:54

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 3:52 PM

CNR: "V3 ... loads fast ....my system seems to grow real sluggish..." While still a carbon-based lifeform, Vicki is made from heavier atoms, the famous isotope Carbon-19.95 and such reports of her demands on your system are not unexpected. ::::: Opera :::::

shadownet ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 3:55 PM

x-post. On your last. ROFL Here I just thought her butt was too big.

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 4:56 PM

hope all modeler types will look in on my new thread requesting help on piano model. Hoping to make it out of carbon-2. ::::: Opera :::::

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2005 at 9:28 PM

Milkshape too slow in large import/export and is commercial .

I'll admit it gets a bit laggy with high-resolution meshes. I'm hoping that version 2.0 (whenever Mete finishes it) will address this.

But it otherwise works quite well for a $25 investment.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.