Thu, Sep 19, 3:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: Tester(s) wanted for PC MAT files (P4,P5, P6)

RCT ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 2:34 AM ยท edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:26 PM

Hi, I'm creating a set of MAT files for V3 (should work with other unimesh figures too) for eventual sale in Renderosity's marketplace. Problem is, I'm on a Mac, and really would like to test these MATs on a PC platform before offering them for sale. Anyone out there using Poser on a PC who would like to help out? In return, you'll get a free set of cool textures. Be advised, if they don't work first time, there may be a bit of going back-and-forth 'til we get 'em right. I'll need someone with P4, P5, and I suppose now P6 is out maybe I should test them on that too.

RCT ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 2:36 AM

Sorry, I should have added: it would be more helpful to have someone who knows pretty much what they're doing when it comes to creating MAT files. So please, no newbies!

ofechner ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 3:28 AM

Well, I could help you out. I'm on P6 now... deleted P5 yesterday. :()

Adavyss ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 3:45 AM

I could help too I am on PPP and P5

shamanka ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 4:28 AM

I'd be willing to too. I'm on P5.

My Store My Free Stuff My Site

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 5:51 AM

bookmark, since I was told doing this is not permissible in this forum

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

squid69 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 6:08 AM

bookmark PPP (Lightwave integration) through P6, currently installed on multiple systems

Chicane ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 8:25 AM

I could lend a hand........ I use PPP and P5.

RCT ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 11:05 AM

What does "bookmark" mean, and what is not permissable on this forum? Please explain.

leather-guy ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 1:33 PM

"What does "bookmark" mean, and what is not permissible on this forum? Please explain." Bookmark is just a term used when a member wants to receive update notices on a specific thread - new postings in the thread causes the site Ebot to send notices to all posters in the thread. Any posts in the main Poser Forum that contain references to an impending or possible product development are considered commercial posts (even when they include no actual info about a specific product), and a certain subset of the general membership jump on it as a violation of the TOS (Terms of service). There's a separate forum called "Product Showcase Forum" (see link in masthead above) created for such posts some time back when strident and tediously repetitive complaints from some members that their personal freedoms were being compromised by being subjected to such info in the main Poser Forum got too energy-draining for the Site administration to ignore. A lot of members have run afoul of the rules regarding product announcements and had their threads moved. It's not personal, but it's an old issue and some sore feelings about it exist. fyi - If it's an inquiry on developing a resource for personal use or for eventual release as a freebie, there's no conflict with posting here. A lot of members (myself included) find it a silly non-issue, and either don't care or would prefer it all to be in the Poser Forum, but many, either from some "sour grapes" feelings, or personal control issues, or ???? seem to enjoy jumping on such things and creating an issue. . . .just my 2 cents worth, opposing opinions encouraged and inevitable . . .

RCT ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 1:42 PM

Well funny that, but it was the nice people at Renderosity themselves who suggested that I ask for help in this forum, so if anyone doesn't like it, go complain to them. And it ain't a product showcase, just a request for friendly assistance, knowing what a helpful and resourceful bunch y'all are. So if anyone's got any issues with that, then they've probably got the wrong end of the stick.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 2:46 PM

Who suggested you ask here?

If it was me (I've been known to do that, over at DAZ and other forums), I apologize for not specifying the Product Showcase forum. That is probably where this belongs, and where it will likely be moved shortly. Believe me, you'd get plenty of volunteers, no matter where you posted your request. Getting a free sample is a powerful incentive. ;-) Ynsaen isn't jumping all over you, she just wants to find out what happens to this thread, because she wants to post requests like this here, too.

Oh, and consider her store, OddDitty.biz, for your product, too, once it's done. :-)

thixen ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 3:03 PM

ok my 2 cents. I don't see posts like this as being a problem here. Like the man said he's just asking for help. What belongs in the product showcase IMHO are the 'commercial spam' type posts. something like: " Swing on down to my Marketplace and check out the Make NVINTWAS 2000 instant art button. ... " That's what gets annoying. BTW RCT I'll help ya out if needed. I'm making a free dragon texture (see my posts) and I'm thinking about making a couple things for marketplace release, would love to compare notes/styles with someone. After all I need to get P6 caah somehow.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 3:36 PM

I agree, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Besides, you know there are some merchants who would abuse it. "I need a Mac beta-tester for this product." (With 15 zillion images.) The next day, "I need a PC beta tester!" (With another 15 zillion images.") The day after, "I need a Poser 6 user." (More images.)

Sadly, a few overly aggressive merchants have kind of ruined it for them all. They used to be allowed to post such requests, until a handful really pushed the limits.

thixen ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 3:50 PM

randym77, Well I wasn't around the forums at that time, but if that was the case I see the the point. I don't like it, but can't blame Rendo (it really was the only choice huh) Stupid abusers *pokes "the few overly aggressive merchants have kind of ruined it for them all" in the eyee >_< )

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 4:37 PM

I don't blame Rendo, either, though I suppose they could have gotten rid of Product Showcase and just allowed everyone to post here. But some users were complaining about all the ads. That was before my time, but I gather it was getting pretty bad.

They seem to be getting stricter these days, too. Curious Labs isn't even allowed to post product announcements here. They used to make exceptions for CL, but I guess some merchants got upset.

thixen ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 4:51 PM

Well that goes under the old addage "If you allow one then you have to allow them all" Personally I don't mind seeing an ad or 2, but I know how people can get (peers into the spam folder on my e-mail) Lesser of 2 evils.

RCT ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 5:48 PM

Yeah but I haven't posted any images, nor did I intend to. I haven't even mentioned what its name is... so how can that be any form of advertising or 'showcasing'? I agree that if a few merchants have spoiled the forum, then that sort of aggressive marketing shouldn't be allowed here, but there's no way I consider that me simply asking for some help constitutes a contravention of those rules!

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 5:54 PM

I think it's just a question of where to draw the line. When I was new to the forums, there was a guy who was asking for modelling help on a MP product. At first the mods ruled he could, since help is what these forums are supposed to be about. But he started asking every day, each time starting a new thread rather than posting the old ones, and people got annoyed. So they moved him to Product Showcase. At which point he got mad, pulled his store, and left.

That's life in the Rosity forums for you...

RCT ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 6:08 PM

Hmmmm... don't want to start a ruckus, but it is exactly the same attitude as 'a black man mugged me once, so therefore all black men must be potential muggers'. And if you said that, then you'd be rightly pilloried. Just because a few merchants do something against the rules, doesn't mean you should tar all merchants with the same brush. Or spoil the activities of the majority for the actions of the minority. If a post is against the rules, why not just move it or delete it, rather than issue blanket bans? Punish the individuals who commit the 'crime' rather than take away the freedom of the majority...

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 6:19 PM

Yeah, but the thing that makes people crazy around here is what they see as unequal enforcement of the rules. Say, Merchant #1 can post "market research" questions here, but Merchant #2 can't. They want the same rules to apply to everyone. (And not just merchants.) Which tends to lead to rather draconian rules, like the recent TOS change on child nudity. (No, I'm not trying to re-start that ruckus. Rosity is doing the best they can with that one.)

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 7:23 AM

"..and a certain subset of the general membership jump on it as a violation of the TOS (Terms of service). There's a separate forum called "Product Showcase Forum" (see link in masthead above) created for such posts some time back when strident and tediously repetitive complaints from some members that their personal freedoms were being compromised by being subjected to such info in the main Poser Forum got too energy-draining for the Site administration to ignore..." Not jumping, just startled. I boomarked so that if it was moved, I would see where and when. Given that less than three hours previous to the posting I was informed that it is not permissible to post Beta testing requests to the Product Showcase forum, I will admit to being slightly peeved, especially since I was also informed a few months back that testing requests for commercial items were not allowed in this forum, and that they should be posted in the Product showcase forum (although posting a link to it here was permissible). Basically, I'm just trying to make sure that I follow the rules, however silly I may think them to be, and I'm getting rather dizzy trying to keep up with them! As for personal freedoms, well, they dinnae apply here, lol. "A lot of members (myself included) find it a silly non-issue, and either don't care or would prefer it all to be in the Poser Forum, ..." I agree. But, on the other hand, I'm also aware that the primary purpose of this forum is for learning how to do stuff in Poser, and at the time of the PS forum creation, there were roughly 10 commercial posts to every OT and question. Didn't bother me none, but when the rules are changed, we sorta gotta abide by them. RCT -- in all truth, I don't mind that you posted here, nor do I have any issues with it personally. All I'd like is for an explanation of the current policy regarding the Poser Forum, Product Showcase, and Beta Testing requests. I apologize to you, personally, for apparently derailing your post. I wasn't trying to do that. Personally, I don't see beta testing requests as commercial, and don't have a problem with them here. Advertisements for products for sale, well, that's another matter, lol in sum: I just wanna follow the rules. Can someone please tell me what they are?

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 9:35 AM

Hmm, ynsaen, you've got me thinking. How about a forum dedicated to beta testing? Would clarify a lot.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My galleryย ย ย My freestuff

KarenJ ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 11:01 AM

Hi all, We all agree that commercial posts belong in the PS forum (as it says in the forum header). With beta-testing posts I try to play the middle line and take each post on its own merits. This post isn't really commercial - there are no images and RCT hasn't really given much detail about the product except that it's a V3 texture, which people need to know to volunteer to test. If however posts asking for beta-tests are blatant commercials (as randym77 eloquently described) then they will be moved to PS. Product development threads will always be moved to PS. Hope that explains how we're handling things at the moment :-) Karen Poser Mod

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Adavyss ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 11:20 AM

...... And it's a clever way to handle things when people start using their brain instead of a set of rules ......

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 11:31 AM

Well, not to kill the brain idea, but Beta Testing is Product Development, which according to Karen1573 should always be moved to Product Showcase!

ratscloset
aka John

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 11:40 AM

Karen -- thank you! You'll want to check with CLint, who says that beta testing requests are not permitted in the product showcase. Adavyss -- I am more than adequate at using my brain. For instance, not following the rules here is not in my best interests. Knowing those rules is critical to following them, and I'm recieving conflicting rules from different sources -- not unexpected given different people are involved. Karen is a friend of mine (or, at least, I like to think so, lol), and it makes me uncomfortable to put her in a position where she's got to deal with ugly stuff, so by asking, I can help to avoid it.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 11:52 AM

What about the Developer's Forum ? Another possiblity, do a FreeStuf item first to work out the wrinkles, so that there is no problem asking for help in the Poser forum.

Adavyss ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 11:53 AM

ynsaen dont'be paranoid I just meant that she made a sensible answer

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 12:00 PM

Why would beta-testing requests not be allowed in Product Showcase???

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 1:03 PM

nruddock --oddly enough, I was told no there, as well -- again by Clint. Adavyss -- I apologize. Randym, I was told they belong in the Jobs/Resumes forum. They are not related to selling products in the determination of the Renderosity Store Administrator. The reason I wanted clarification is so that I can see where to post, since the rules were changed rather suddenly. I don't mind the rules being changed, I just like to know when they do, and what they change to ;)

KarenJ ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 5:18 PM ยท edited Fri, 25 March 2005 at 5:33 PM

I will bring up a discussion about this in the staff room. I was unaware the rules in the Product Showcase forum had changed, so thanks for letting me know. (It's been a long time since I've had the time to produce a product LOL)

Edited to add: Ratscloset - "Beta Testing is Product Development". When I mentioned product development, I was thinking of the long threads in the Developers forum, such as Seraphira's "Kaimira Project" threads. Beta-testing should be a private dialogue between the artist and their testers, it shouldn't be done in a public forum. Hope that makes it clearer :-)

Message edited on: 03/25/2005 17:33

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 6:01 PM

Thanks, Karen. Sorry to get ya dragged into this. Just really totally caught me offguard.

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2005 at 7:14 PM

Okay Karen, That makes sense now. Obviously I have not read too many of those threads! LOL... The phrasing just struck me funny, since I Beta Test Software all the time!

ratscloset
aka John

Adavyss ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 12:44 AM

What I find more annoying than to know where this post should have been posted, is not to get any message from RCT. Not even a simple "I don't keed your help", nothing, nothing at all. I thought it would be the minimum courtesy, but I'm probably out of fashion. RCT, I'm sorry to tell you that it's the last you are offered my help.

RCT ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2005 at 3:30 AM

Adavyss (and others), Typical! I work from home, self-employed. This 3D thing is something I do in my spare time, hoping it might take off and expand into something bigger. I just spend ages working on my own personal stuff, then work (i.e. my "paying-the-rent" work) goes mental. I haven't had a spare day for almost 2 weeks, been working all hours. So I'm sorry for not getting back to you. I did manage to contact a couple of people, and then discovered that my ISP wouldn't let me upload files bigger than 3MB! So what with work, and trying to sort out filesizes, and an Easter break (2 bank holidays here in UK) bang in the middle of everything, I just haven't had chance to do everything I wanted to do. So, I will be contacting everyone who offered, over the next few days, as life seems to be returning to normal. Patience, please.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.