Sun, Oct 6, 5:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Help with mermaid tail

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2005 at 6:38 PM ยท edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:24 AM

file_219515.jpg

I'm having trouble figuring out the mermaid tail.

I've made the R & L Buttock, R & L Thighs, R & L Shin, R & L Foot, and R & L Toes invisible.

I've left the hip visible. When I tried making it invisible there was a gap between the waist and the tail at the hip area.

How do I fix the area in the picture outlined in red? I've turned all of thedials until I'm sea sick, but can't get rid of the crotch and thigh outlines.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2005 at 6:47 PM

file_219516.jpg

Here is a picture that is a bit lighter.

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2005 at 7:01 PM

Is this the DAZ tail for V3? They're modeled into the tail; you can't get rid of them (unless there's a morph or something). Anton (the creator) said he preferred the "merged leg" style of mermaid tail to the "eel-like" style.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2005 at 7:09 PM

ahhhh, ok I guess I'll have to fix it in PSP then. I prefer the other style. Thanks. At least I know it wasn't me this time, hehe

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2005 at 7:36 PM ยท edited Tue, 12 April 2005 at 7:39 PM

Firebirdz has a free pose that does this, also a couple of sample textures and backgrounds. You'll find it right here: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=20986

Message edited on: 04/12/2005 19:39

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2005 at 10:38 PM

Whatever happened to Anton? Marque

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 1:50 AM ยท edited Wed, 13 April 2005 at 1:53 AM

Boo.
Been working on my house all winter. PS: Thanks FyreSpiryt for the mention. That tail was a fun project. The factoid that I liked the merged-leg over the eel look caught me funny. I only ever remember mentioning it once. Great memory there.

Message edited on: 04/13/2005 01:53

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denialย in the faceย ofย truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Djeser ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 4:41 AM

Has anyone had luck fitting Anton's mermaid tail to Aiko 3, Steph 3, or Laura? I've been fiddling with it for a while and can't figure it out, but would love to use it with those figures.

Sgiathalaich

Jim Burton ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 11:15 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_219518.jpg

Hi Anton!- I also sort like the merged-leg look in mermaids, I even put vestigial feet in mine, my theory is they evolved from land people, sorta like whales. ;-) I think sombody is working on a Aiko Mermaid, I though about doing one.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 11:21 AM

I like the eel-tails better myself. I usually use the free undine from Dacort when I need a mermaid.

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 9:19 PM

file_219520.jpg

I think guys like the leg look because it's more sexually appealling. I noticed that alot of female users like the dolfin like tails. I temd to think of mermaids as mid-evolved with a softer transition from human to fish. I reallu loved Ursula in the Little Mermaid. The half octopus thing rocked.

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denialย in the faceย ofย truth is concealment."

mada ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 9:26 PM ยท edited Wed, 13 April 2005 at 9:31 PM

file_219522.jpg

I have a mermaid tail which will hopefully be out at Daz soon - for Laura, Aiko, Hiro and Stephanie Petite.

I would so love to have a half octopus model, its great (but the thought of setting it up is enough to make me run LOL) Mada

Message edited on: 04/13/2005 21:31

...faith, trust and pixiedust

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 9:32 PM

I never thought about the sexually appealing aspect, but I guess if you're a "leg man," merged leg is the way to go. ;-)

I guess I don't like it because it looks fake to my eye. Like those old movies where you can see the "mermaid" is just an actress wearing a latex tail prosthetic. I don't see mermaids as being evolved, more like magically created. Like griffins or dragons.

deleeuw, that's a lovely image. You don't see many redheaded mermaids. :-)

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 10:36 PM

So glad I saw this thread. I'm working on a project with mermaids in it and those poses look great! Mada, I'm SO looking forward to your mermaid tail... any idea when it'll be available? (I'm working with mermaids now, which is why I'm asking ;-). bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

mada ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 10:45 PM

:P Well I sent you a pm earlier bonni when I saw your mermaid pics but you haven't picked it up yet. Mada

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 11:39 PM

Something I have not seen done is the split leg mermaid where each foot transitions from srperate legs into anglefish like fins. It would be an easy easy figure

mada ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 12:07 AM

Attached Link: http://www.dacort.com/3D/product_info.php?part_number=108

There's a twin tailed mertail by dacort but I think its for posette, looks pretty cool though... Mada

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 12:32 AM ยท edited Thu, 14 April 2005 at 12:44 AM

Oh yes I had forgottenabout that one. So fun. Similar but not so fluid. Basically the foot becomes a tail fin but there is still a knee and shin

Message edited on: 04/14/2005 00:44

mada ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 12:47 AM

Actually that could look really nice with the knee and shin more defined and not too bendy, and adding some fins running down the back of the leg :)

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 1:52 AM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=89

The Sea Nymph package by MAB is quite nice, although the legs are more like legs than the "eel-like" appendages of dacort's "Melusine". bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 2:41 AM

That item doesn't exist at Daz it seems. Wonder how long it has been gone. Shame. It looks nice as does LisaB's textures. It was probably dropped by mistake when they reformatted the store this past summer.

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 2:46 AM

The Sea Nymph? I can see it, and the link appears to work... bonni

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 3:13 AM ยท edited Thu, 14 April 2005 at 3:17 AM

file_219523.jpg

Must be a browser issue. I use Explorer. Also doesn't come up in searches. Maybe it's a login glitch where only those logged in can see it. I can see everything else. Just this item it insists doesn't exist.

Message edited on: 04/14/2005 03:17

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 3:32 AM

Weird! Maybe it is the browser. How strange! bonni

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 4:16 AM

I think it is unique to how certain products were coded. Someone who knows MAB might want to let her know so she can have it looked into.

mada ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 4:26 AM

I'll send her a pm. :)

mabfairyqueen ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 3:23 PM

The sea nymph wasn't taken down by mistake. It was retired by my choice (actually very recently) due to lack of sales. It's a several year old product. It was time to retire it. As far as tails, I like a sort of cross between a merged leg and eel like tail. Mada's tail fits this personal preference of mine perfectly and I love the decorative fins.

mabfairyqueen ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 3:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up, though. I'm pleased to have seen this thread just for other reasons. This is a cool thread.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 4:42 PM

deleeuw, will you also be including V3? I like the look of that tail much better. I don't mind the merged leg look from the back, but the front looks rather ugly to me. I'd much rather see a smooth front.

mada ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 5:18 PM

I'm kind of burnt out on adding all those fbm's and jcm's to the tails - refitting is not a problem but adding the morphs is a lot of work... and since V3 already has a tail I would rather spend the time to fit to characters that doesn't have a tail yet - sorry :) Mada

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 7:49 PM

That's ok :) I understand. I've never made anything like that so I don't know what's involved or the time it takes.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 15 April 2005 at 7:34 PM

file_219525.jpg

I gather Anton did his mermaid tail as a conforming item. I did mine (all of 'em) as a new CR2, the top half was basicly the same as the figure, from the hip down she is a proper mermaid, with the mesh (for the tail) loaded by external geometry calls. Most of them (not the GIRL one) also have switching tails, as I was feeling super clever when I set them up. ;-) I never did one for V3 though, or Glamorous or Ingenue Vickie. Maybe I augta, mermaids aren't super sellers, though.

byAnton ( ) posted Fri, 15 April 2005 at 9:26 PM

I thought about that at one point but was worried that people with a custom cr2 for their Vicki would be annoyed that they had to port their custom head morphs and texture over.

mada ( ) posted Fri, 15 April 2005 at 9:41 PM

I considered it as well, but decided to go with the conforming item since I wanted the scales to fade into the skin :)

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 12:39 AM

Well, deleeuw, I really like the look of your mermaid tail, and I see it will fit SP3, so if that's the case I'll just use her instead of Vicky. I really don't like the crotch outline because it looks un-natural to a mermaid; they don't have crotches because they are fish from the waist down.

byAnton ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 1:09 AM ยท edited Sat, 16 April 2005 at 1:11 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_219526.jpg

hehe Mermaids are like centaurs. The transition is completely subjective. But historically, mermaids had more groin than is represented today. You have to remember that historically mermaid mythology was prepetuated by men. Part of what I was referring to above, regardly sexual appeal to men, is that you can't boink a fish. :)

Here are some old american and european representations. Mostly we think of the carved mermaids on ships but they were the censored versions. :)

But like I said, like centaurs, dragons, etc, it all come down to the individual, expecially since they aren't real. hehe added nudity tag.

Message edited on: 04/16/2005 01:11

byAnton ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 1:36 AM

file_219528.jpg

I found some more fun images. Interesting in the 1600's mermaids were depicted with tails and mini legs. In Spain the had one tail instead of each leg. It is really interesting how mermaid tastes have chaned over the centuries. I wonder what the next incarnation would be.

mada ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 1:46 AM

LOL - the mini legs just don't look right. I had fun doing research for the tails, I liked the mermaids by James Christensen best, wonderful illustrator. http://www.jameschristensen.com/saintsandangels.html

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 2:00 AM

It is really interesting how mermaid tastes have chaned over the centuries. It is! Thanks for posting these. THe same is true, by the way, of unicorns. The ones you see these days (i.e., the "horny horse") are very different from medieval ones, which were more like a deer. Fun thread. :-) bonni

Kendra ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 12:01 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=914918&Start=1&Artist=Kendra&ByArtist=Yes

Mermaids are popular right now, I'm working on a character too. :) My only wish is the Daz tail had a better range of movement.

...... Kendra

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 12:02 PM

Quote - liked the mermaids by James Christensen best, wonderful illustrator. http://www.jameschristensen.com/saintsandangels.html

Oh, those are nice! Smooth front and fins down the back of the tail. I like that too.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 12:14 PM

Quote - Mermaids are popular right now, I'm working on a character too. :) My only wish is the Daz tail had a better range of movement.

Love that image! How did you get the hair to look like it's floating in the water? I haven't found any hair like that in the stores so I'm assuming it's something you did or made yourself.

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 12:28 PM

Well, Kendra can answer for herself, I'm sure, but it looks to me like it's painted hair, possibly using Ravnheart's wonderful "Heavenly Hair" brushes. bonni

Kendra ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 8:19 PM

Yep, what Bonni said. :)

...... Kendra

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 8:24 PM

When's that tail going to be available? SP is my favorite female figure. She'd make a great mermaid, with her svelte form. We've got a new dolphin, now we need a new mermaid!

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 8:35 PM

I can't use those brushes because I use PSP instead of Photoshop. I'll have to try and make my own in PSP, brushes are pretty easy to make, it's just a matter of being able to make one that simulates the look of hair which I have to figure out.

mada ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 9:01 PM ยท edited Sat, 16 April 2005 at 9:05 PM

I have no idea when, its still in testing at Daz and it depends if they find anything that needs fixing... sorry I can't be more specific :)

...the Grace Lion hair is great for mermaid hair, the morphs make it look like its floating in the water.

Mada

www.faeriewylde.com

Message edited on: 04/16/2005 21:05

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 9:28 PM

file_219529.jpg

Since someone asked, here's Stephanie Petite in Mada's mermaid tail (the face is Dazyl, but the rest of the body is pretty standard). I've also managed to get the tail to fit reasonably well on Luke. It's not designed for him, but with a little tweaking and resizing and careful posing, it works pretty well. :-) bonni

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 9:30 PM

Nice! How is the top done? Is it a second skin texture? Or a conformer?

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 16 April 2005 at 10:14 PM

Nice! I will definitly invest in that tail for SP3!

n3k0 ( ) posted Sun, 17 April 2005 at 12:48 AM

*note to self: make a mermaid pic

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.