Sun, Oct 6, 12:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Curious Labs - Please Note! ... Multiple UNDO for Poser ... sign up here. ...

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 12:42 PM

Somebody must have already mentioned this (I didn't read all the messages above): 1. It's probably too late for CL to add the "multiple undo" feature to P6. They are already planning what to do with P7. 2. If they do decide they have the budget to add the feature to P7, any use of "multiple undo" will be a far worse RAM hit than the memory bug that affects complex scene renders. 3. If they try to make "multiple undo" a read/write function to scratch disk, this will slow down the Windows version quite a bit, and will probably kill the Mac version, which already has severe problems with excessive page-outs.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 12:46 PM

YesADoodlyDiddlie!!!

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 12:49 PM

Yes, definately!!

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 12:54 PM · edited Sat, 07 May 2005 at 12:55 PM

*"If they try to make "multiple undo" a read/write function to
scratch disk, this will slow down the Windows version quite
a bit, and will probably kill the Mac version, which already
has severe problems with excessive page-outs."

I tend to agree but i think the problem would be the
nature of poser files more than an OS problem
for Windows or MAC OSX.
In Maxon Cinema4DXL i have gone backwards 40 steps
no problem in dense scenes containing millions of polys.
On an old Mac G3 with 352 megs of Ram. Message edited on: 05/07/2005 12:55

My website

YouTube Channel

nemirc ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 12:54 PM

file_235335.jpg

Even Maya supports multiple undo levels. What it does is to store everything on a "history" (something like what Geep said about the cache) and it basically keeps track of what you do in your file... <---signature---> Free your Maya Opaque3D http://www.digital-opaque.net

nemirc
Renderosity Magazine Staff Writer
https://renderositymagazine.com/users/nemirc
https://about.me/aris3d/

deljs ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 1:02 PM

Multiple undo... you mean like the basic staple of all other MODERN software worthy of note? YES! That would be more than welcome. Especially if done in RAM, not to disc.

Fazzel ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 1:18 PM

Yes I would like multiple undos. Preferably all the way back to the first action performed, but at least up to 10 undos back if more aren't possible.

Irish ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 1:25 PM

YES! YES! YES!! :)

Jackson ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 1:30 PM

Yes. Although I'd be happy if they just got their single undo working correctly.

Puntomaus ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 2:24 PM

Y E S

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

slinger ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 2:37 PM

I'll sign up for that in a hearbeat.

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

UrbanChilli ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 2:37 PM

YES!

SX200 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 2:37 PM

In a word....YEA!

1010 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 2:58 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://creationsbydawn.net

Aishai ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 3:15 PM

Yes please :)

genny ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 3:21 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 3:39 PM · edited Sat, 07 May 2005 at 3:43 PM

Yes indeedee! Oh! and please fix the damned memory problems. Just had to add this little bit extra. 8)

Message edited on: 05/07/2005 15:43

MysticBlueRaven ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 3:45 PM

Yes Sir! Want Multiple UNDO NOW! ;-)

mamba-negra ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 3:52 PM

I think the problem that Carolly points out isn't quite as bad as you might think. Yeah, we are talking about lots of 3d details, but they currently only support the change of a single dial. So, it would just be a matter of retaining N dial changes....which is N x 16 bytes (or whatever a floating point value is) It's not that bad. You would have to recalculate the position after the undo....but you are doing that with dial changes. At worse, it would be like having 30 automatic pose dots in queue. I doubt that is why they never implimented it. It's probably just a can of worms with lower shiny factor than the other options that fall ahead of it on the list of upcoming features. eric

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 3:57 PM

It depends on what is being undone. Deleting a character needs that a LOT of information must be remembered for the delete to be undone.

Mec4D ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 4:29 PM

Yes for me too please ! no matter how much info it need to remember

"Surrender to what it is - Let go of what was - Have faith in what will be "

Lzy724 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 4:46 PM

OMG, YES, YES....and oh, YES...that would be wonderful!

mikeberg ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 4:47 PM

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes

orion1167 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 5:13 PM

YES!!!

ringbearer ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 5:15 PM

Yes, please!!

There are a lot of things worse than dying, being afraid all the time would be one.

My Gallery

destro75 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 5:15 PM

I vote a resounding yes, but I also agree that the current 1 undo should work "correctly." By that I mean, why are there times when I can undo, but at other times, I just cannot? On the multiple undo plea though, I don't know about what everyone else thinks, but I think if they even gave us 3, that would be enough to save our tails many times over. I know I have spent many a night thinking, "Argh, if only I could go back 2 actions..." The lack of multiple undos has taught me one valuable lesson though...Save early, save often!

Shardz ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 5:16 PM

Yes Please! And how about a SEARCH FUNCTION for the libraries! My runtime is massive and it's impossible to find anything!

layingback ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 5:19 PM

Unconditional multiple undo's would require a rewrite of Poser code. Now we'd all like that for a number of reasons totally unrelated to undo's!!! But if it hasn't happened to date, in fact not even a part of the core Poser code has been rewritten in what 10 years, or ever, then it ain't likely to happen anytime soon for a trivial - in marketing terms - reason like no undo's. But a conditional multiple undo might be do-able without a rewrite. Changing dial values for example doesn't require any complex state retention, just store the prior value(s) and redo the action to equate to an undo. That should be easy to do and deterministic enough (ie. what is covered by multiple undo and when) to be viable.

queri ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 5:25 PM

Of course, yes. It's the first "new" option I looked for and nearly cried when it was never mentioned. But I'll tell you, I'd would take One Undo that actually worked and wouldn't crash the proggie. It's so inutitive to include multiple undos, my only fear is they haven't because they can't. Without a complete rebuild. [same fear exists about resolving the memory issue, by the way] Emily

Mycrofted ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 6:02 PM

YES It would rescue me from the times I make a mistake and wish for a do over.

masha ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 6:13 PM

Oh YES!!! please

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 6:46 PM

Max supports something like 20 undos, even old version 3.1, Photoshop does the same, I'd say YES but Poser 6 still has memory problems, doesn't it? Conditional YES, if it desn't make memory problems worse.

DustRider ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 6:49 PM

YES!!!

User configurable undo would be the best. This would let you, the user, decide how much of your system resources would be used by undo. Those with modest systems wouldn't have to use precious resources for numerous undo levels unless they wanted to.

It's time for CL to wake up and smell the roses, multiple undo is not a new concept, and is a requirement for increased productivity.

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

JoatMon2 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 7:51 PM

Yes please. I would also like to select the number of UNDOs from an option menu. Sometimes I want zero undos, sometimes 20. Thanks

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 7:59 PM

Given the many times it's been requested, I'd say that they haven't implemented it because: A. They're stupid. B. They're just being mean. C. It'd be really, really hard and require messing with code that works and was written be people long gone and might be likely to cause more damage than it's possibly worth to them. Take your choice. Currently, the strategy seems to have been bolt 3rd party add-ons to the old core. Maybe, if the Shade folks keep it long enough, there will be a complete redesign and you'll get undo.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

KDoug ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 7:59 PM

Yes, definately! And I don't see why it should be so difficult to do. You can already keep different configurations of your scene in the various frames of an animation. This is EXACTLY the same kind of stuff that would be in a typical Undo!

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 8:25 PM · edited Sat, 07 May 2005 at 8:28 PM
  1. If it can be done in LW, C4D, Vue, Bryce (!), and a myriad other 3D applications then the argumentation about memory usage is moot - give it up already. I've done multiple undos in C4D with hundreds of thousands of polygons, stage lights (dozens), cameras, complex animations involving XPresso nodes - Poser can't come close to that complexity and it can't do multiple undos?! Quoting the effable P&T: Bullshit!

2. Thank you wolf359 for making my point before I found this post! :)

3. lmckenzie: My vote = C

It has already been stated in another thread that the programmers do not think it can be done. Translated, that means that the codebase is such a noodly, intractable mess that only by completely reworking it could it be made to implement features that have been in every other application for over a decade. :)

KDoug: Animation frames only store value changes in keys - not additions/removals, application of Pose settings, etc. But your point is taken (and I've already made it in another thread).

Message edited on: 05/07/2005 20:28

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 8:47 PM

Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 9:03 PM
Butch ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 9:10 PM

Yes please and don't just do it for P6. I have P5 and don't want to upgrade just yet. Heck, I just have scratched the surface of P5!

movida ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 9:32 PM

Yes

kyraia ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 9:35 PM

No ... I never really missed it. I use CONTROL-s instead from time to time ;-) But I desperately beg for an enhancement to the firefly renderer to be able to render a glow effect like in Vue which is so incredibly cool! And there is no way to get it out of Poser. I know some tricks (like this gather-node which is cool too, but it still is not this glowing aura of Vue d'Esprit.)

Francemi ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 9:37 PM

YES. I don't understand why we have to sign a petition for something much older programs already have. Only problem is the one undo we have works only when it feels like it. ;o)

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

onimusha ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 11:15 PM

Yes Please. Poser hasn't been an amateur program for three releases. Why is it still being coded that way?

tastiger ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2005 at 11:58 PM

My hand is UP!

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

cindyx ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 12:55 AM

YES... that would be great.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 12:57 AM · edited Sun, 08 May 2005 at 12:59 AM

There should a search-and-correct feature for all files (texture AND .obj) that .cr2 (etc) files point to. Like the "Correct Reference" downloadable utility, but built-in and also correcting .obj file references.

Message edited on: 05/08/2005 00:59

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 12:57 AM

If I didn't answer the 'petition': Yes, yes, yes, and yes, yes! At least for changes that impact dial settings (channels)!

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

jwiest ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 1:15 AM

That would be a godsend. YES!!!

John

RossoMan ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2005 at 1:30 AM

Yes please!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.