Sat, Aug 3, 2:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: 3DCG contest

pjanak ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 4:56 AM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 7:32 AM

I cant belive Curious Labs or E something. Whatever the new name is. IS promoting the 3DCG contest. Is this that same contest that at least for me surfaced about a year ago? The one that had several lame poser entries. Lame originals. And 1 or two excellent originals? Frankly, Poser entries should be excluded. Unless YOU actually built the model 100% from scratch. Not just morphed a prexisting figure. But then if you built it from scratch, you didnt use Poser. So then I guess it goes back to my statement that Poser figures should be completely excluded. Pete

blaufeld ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 5:28 AM

You can always use Poser as a render engine, if you can't afford the more expensive plug-ins for modelling programs; I, for myself, I've used Bryce to render a scene modelled in Wings3D.

thixen ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 7:13 AM

SOOOOooooo Whats the point of coming to a poser fourm, and start poser bashing, unless your looking to get flamed. I suggest a lock is in order since this thread has no value and can easly become uncivil. Hangs "Keep it Civil" sign around pjanak's neck

Chris ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 7:46 AM

Poser renderer ... its name is "FireFly" or something simular is NOT a professional render engine like Brazil, VRay, Mexwell or Mental Ray ... ... but you get good results out of your Poser 5(6) firefly renderer. @Blaufeld Bryce Renderer is good too but too slow as hell like Firefly too ... It all depends what you wnat to do ... look at all the Poser Galleries ... Hair's painted, most of the Skin is repainted and all that things ... if you want a render with only minor postwork ... then you need to render in a (kind of) Pro app ... If your a postworker you only need Poser 4 render quality ... I know most of the "postworker" are only using Poser 4 render quality :D as I said ... it all depends :) Greets Chris

"It Is Useless To Resist!" - Darth Vader

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:26 AM

Attached Link: http://www.missdigitalworld.com/MDWContest/showpage/16

***"Is this that same contest that at least for me surfaced about a year ago?"*** First of all, I believe perhaps you're thinking of the "Miss Digital World" contest (see link). Secondly, people who build from scratch DO use Poser, for various reasons. The main one is probably Poser's relatively "easy to use" tools. Third... why is it so important that 3D artists model everything from scratch, when it's the end result that people see? I've NEVER got a satisfactory answer to that question from anyone. If it's "art" you care about, then realize this... 50 years from now, it's the ART (the final result, the fruit of your labor, the product of your vision) that people might still be looking at... and no one will care "HOW" you did it, or what your model's topology looked like, or how long it took you to rig the figure. It's all about what you DO with your models, and what you produce for the client/public. Get it?

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

brynna ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:31 AM

Sigh... the eternal "Poser-bashing" thread with no answer as to why we all need to be modeling instead of rendering. Got my 2 cents worth in before this baby is locked, anyway. Maxx-they'll NEVER get it!

Brynna

"Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is almost always that somebody screwed up." - House

Dell Desktop XPS 8940 i9,  two 14 tb External drives, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia RTX 3060 12 GB DDR5.

Monitor - My 50 inch Hitachi TV. Works great!

Daz Studio - whatever the latest version is. Haven't decided if I'm upgrading to Poser 13 or not.

Photoshop.

I'm creating a Steampunk Tarot Deck. There's an older version in my Gallery, then a newer version.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 8:55 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

NaySayGuy ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 9:01 AM

Huh?

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 10:45 AM

I am sick of the poser bashing in this forum. People at lightwave and 3dsmax forums can snigger and "knowingly" point out the bad parts of poser, but this forum is for poser users and not for people who don`t like the program.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:02 PM

it's the skill of the artist, not the capability of the programs (i.e., a good artist can get more from 'cheapy' programs than a novice can with top 'o the line stuff'. We get this complaint all the time..
Bring out the Pink Pony! Bring out yer dead horse!
I've seen very good Poser pics out there, modeled or not (also depends on the skill of the modeler; I've put some self-created models in my Poser pics, and the results are..uh..well..it's not a cure for cancer..;) Hey, if it's good art, I don't care how it was made..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

krimpr ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:03 PM

xantor: Not really fair to stereotype the lw/max users IMO. I'm a Lwave user and don't bash Poser, I use it. madmodelmaxx (I'm assuming) uses Max. To associate people's app of choice to snob behaviour is kinda unfair. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. For the record, I don't have a gun, but I do have a dog. A small one.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:16 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I have a small dog too. Pit bull/chihuahua mix. That means that when it bites your ankles it never lets go...

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

krimpr ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:26 PM

Good to hear that not everyone here has a cat, given the obvious superiority of dogs. Next to the overabundance of Poser bashing threads here, the "here is a picture of my cat" threads rates #2 on my "not this again" list.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 1:08 PM

AFAIK, this is a contest hosted by e-frontier. It REQUIRES the use of6 Poser! MissDigitalWorld was/is a different contest. And since the models for MissDigitalWorld have certain requirements not unlike the requirements for the Miss World contest (no nudity in their past), the popular 8Poser models would all be disqualified. It's a pity we can't see the entries for the e-frontier contest. I'm considering submitting an entry, using Poser 6 and it's lighting options. And please, pjanak, be real. Poser is NOT a modeling program. It's an animation/rendering tool. Don't bash a tool for not being what it was never meant to be! It's just as pointless as bashing 3D Studio Max for not being able to paint.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

krimpr ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 1:19 PM

Whoops... post #12 should have read "maxxxmodelz". Sorry 'bout that.

pjanak ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 1:27 PM

Im not bashing Poser. I like it. Oh and yeah it must be the Miss Digital World contest Im thinking of. So then the Mis 3DCG contest is in the context of Poser. That I wouldn't have a problem with. USing Poser as a posing tool or renderer is not a big deal either. But to submit a factory poser model with factory morphs or even home made morphs to me will never qualify it for that lame Miss Digital World contest. I mean if you submit a Poser factory model with Factory morphs in a contest. You hardly put the same effort in as the guy who built from scratch. But again if its a contest in the context of Poser. Then thats different. Hey Im no Hypocrite. Im not a good modeler. and yeah I didnt model the camaro. And I believe I stated that the Hanger wasn't even finsished and that the lights were just temporary. Although the texturing worked out nicely in the hanger. But I didn't "create" those either. Thanks to Deep Paint. I never did finsh it. I am however, currently trying to model the MACH 5 in MAX. I have an idea of where to begin but I tend to hit walls and I don't stay with it long enough. And I too have seen some great poser pics modeled or not. But I still think if you didnt model it. Its not worthy of a contest.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 3:13 PM

There's a lot of stages to create a 3D image: modeling, texturing, composition, lighting, rendering, postwork. Modeling is just one of those aspects. Overemphasizing the importance of modeling is rather shortsighted IMO. Myself, I do a bit of each stage. While I'm not good enough a modeler to create a human figure that is even half the quality of good old Posette, I do model clothes. I prefer procedural textures to mapped textures, mainly because I totally suck at creating texture maps in a 2D program. Lighting and composition is what I spend most of my efforts on. And I almost never do postwork, again, because I suck at 2D. The tools I use are 3DS Max for modeling, Poser for posing, morphing and composition (sometimes for rendering too), Vue for additional composition, lighting and renders. So modeling is not the main part of what I do. Is my work worthless because I don't model that much? I don't think so (my work may be worthless because of other reasons though).

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

krazik ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 12:15 AM · edited Sun, 29 May 2005 at 12:16 AM

Miss 3DCG is a contest we are runnning on Content Paradise.

$2000 cash for first place too :)

Click Here

Message edited on: 05/29/2005 00:16

tastiger ( ) posted Wed, 12 October 2005 at 3:58 PM

***krazik said on 05/29/2005 :-

" Miss 3DCG is a contest we are runnning on Content Paradise.
$2000 cash for first place too :)"***

Has a winner been announced?

Last reference to this event I found was an obscure link to vote for the images on Content Paradise.

I'm just wondering because there were great prizes and nothing has really been heard about it and here we are in October.

Sorry if there was a winner announced and I missed it - but I would have thought it would have been big news with a $2000 prize...

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.